Any Bronies into Manga?

Dessa

I haven't read much manga lately, but back in the days when I worked at a bookstore, I would read TONS.

My favorites:

MARS -- A fairly straightforward high school romance about a nerdy girl and a biker dude falling in love. Artsy without being heady. Mostly serious. The art is good, the writing is superb.

Maison Ikkoku -- My first manga series completed. Author Rumiko Takahasi's has a knack for dragging a story out over 100 million pages without letting it go stale. This one's about a sort-of loser dude who moves into an apartment building full of invasive nutjobs, and his love for the landlady, who pines for hear dead ex-husband. It's not a harem story, but I can see precursors to the genre in this (it's pretty old).

And for that matter, Ranma 1/2 -- I'm sure y'all know what it's about. Being trans, this one carried that extra fantasy wish fulfillment element for me, but what ultimately kept me reading was the humor.

Sgt. Frog -- Alien frogs bent on destroying the earth shack up in the household of a boy genius, an overbearing sister, and a buxom mother. THe catch is that the Frogs are incompetent, and far too in love with the family to destroy the earth that they love. Hilarious.

Hourou Musuko (Transient Son) -- Slice of life story about a young boy and a young girl who want to be a young girl and a young boy. Unlike the typical gender-bender story, this one is rooted in realism, and the author (who is straight and cis -- non trans) clearly did her research, because this captures really well what being trans and adolescent is like. I read this one online: http://www.mangarush.com/manga/hourou-musuko. There's a different but equally good anime of this available online as well, and both the manga and the anime are coming stateside, I hear.

Nodame Cantabile -- Never got to finsh this one. Got fired from my bookstore job before I had the chance. I don't remember much, but it's about a goofy classical musician girl. I should hunt that down, actually. It was kinda offbeat and fun.

Lots more, actually, but those are the ones that pop into my head.

I used to collect Ranma some years ago back in the latter Nineties and I believe I have 16 or so of the original Japanese volumes.

I also collect Cannon God Exaxxion, although I only have the first five volumes. It is a Science Fiction/Giant Mecha series by Kenichi Sonoda (of Gunsmith Cats fame).

I have a few volumes of the ******* (*******!! The Destructive God of Darkness) manga series. About a dystopian world of magic and monsters.

Also a few volumes of Full Metal Alchemist.

I don't collect much manga. I have a few volume 1s on a shelf that I never bothered continuing. So far the only manga I've made an effort to complete is Yotsuba&, which has never failed to make me smile. Hell, at a few points I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe! And I almost never laugh out loud at written stuff. Azumanga is good too, but I've already seen the anime so I'm in no rush to complete it.

Also, Pugyuru is totally bizarre and totally awesome. Go read it.

ah, love me some manga :) I much prefer it over anime because you don't have to listen to any bad voice acting or cheesy background music. also there usually isn't as much filler

my bookshelf is starting to fill up. it takes a lot of work to fit more books in while keeping books from the same series together

I wrote this is the any bronies into anime thing, but my favourites are:

yotsuba

azumanga

kamichama karin

shugo chara

ichigo mashimaro

chobits

pixie pop

karakuri odette

amazing agent luna

mammotte shugogetten

aqua

I also read a bit of pokemon stuff, but I don't follow it too closely 'cause really it's all the same :)

I don't really collect Manga. My friend has a large collection, so I just borrow them from her. :)

I read the X-Men Misfits, which was pretty good, especially since it revolves around my favorite character, Kitty Pryde. But the series didn't continue! >_<

I'm also working on Library Wars, which is a story of the future when lots of books are being outlawed. There's this group of people who work to protect books. Books in libraries general can't be 'touched', it's just bookstores that are having books confiscated.

Alice in the Country of Hearts. Alice in Wonderland, Anime style! It's... interesting. Pretty different from the original story. The White Rabbit, who can change from a mostly human to a little white rabbit, steals Alice away to Wonderland because he loves her. She, in turn, thinks him a creep. But, in order to leave Wonderland now, Alice must get to know the people/creatures of this world, and fill up a magic vial.

D.N.Angel. There's this kid who, on his fourteenth birthday, is informed that he is the phantom thief Dark. It's in his bloodline. Whenever he sees a picture of the girl he has a crush on (or the girl, for that matter), he now begins to Transform into dark... which makes going to school kinda difficult now. Anyway, his family helps him steal works of art. But then there's Light. One of Daisuke (Dark)'s acquaintances from school is Light, Dark's rival. Except the two boys don't know that their other halves are enemies. Anyway, they battle, Dark steals stuff. Also, Daisuke has a crush on one of two twin girls, Risa. Except Risa falls in love with Dark, but Dark is in love with Riku, the other twin. Also this whole Dark/Daisuke and Light/Satoshi thing is a secret.

I used to be just as into manga as I was anime. As my free time has decreased, I've proven far more loyal to the anime than the manga...

I still follow a few series though (but I'm usually at least twenty chapters behind on them at any given time). They include Bleach, Fairy Tail, Negima, Claymore and a few other smaller series. Oh, and I also have read some of the various Puella Magi Madoka Magica related manga and I plan to read more of them.

I've really only gotten into one manga called, Skip Beat!, which is quite good. It is very long though, but well worth my time. It's about a 16 year old girl, Kyoko, who ran away with her love, Sho, to Tokyo so he could follow his dream of becoming a top music artist. He rises to some fame and gains many fans. One day, Kyoko decided to pay a surprise visit to Sho only to hear him telling his manager that the reason he took her with him is so that she could take care of him. Simply that she was like a maid and how he had no real interest in her, instead preferring women like his manager. This shock Kyoko and sends her into a hate filled rage, vowing (as she's taken away by security) to take revenge on Sho. She aims to beat him in show biz. It all focuses on her journey in show biz and takes some romantic turns. It is a shoujo manga, but it's a very good one with a strong lead.

Tl;dr:

Sho tricks Kyoko into basically being his maid. Kyoko find out and vows revenge against him by beating him in show biz. It follows her through life and career after this event.

This manga is not finished. You can find both books and scans of it online or at a book store. ( Though I can't get the books around here anymore! :scream: Why did Borders have to close!?! )

there is not a single way i can hope to collect manga since its prices are retarded here.... pants-on-head retarded.... as pretty much anything entertaining-related

i try to read some on not legal some ways though... air gear is an all time fave. a bit of soul eater. AND WHY ON EARTH IS NANOHA FORCE STILL A BIMONTHLY MANGA??? i need my fix quicker :)

I used to read a lot of manga, but I've never collected many of them. At first it's because I didn't had the money, so I had to read them at the local shop, and from my sister's personal collection (which grew to be huge, unlike mine) ; then I spent a lot of time reading bad translations online. Then my websites closed due to copyright infringements (duh) and I kinda stopped reading as much. I still do, sometimes, as munching through a serie is a very enjoyable way of spending an afternoon ; but since I read less I feel more and more like I have too many stuff to catch up and it's discouraging.

I read a lot of shojo love-stories, good or bad I don't care, I love 'em. But the ones I want to present aren't love stories at all.

First, there's Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind. Have you seen one of Hayao Miyazaki's films ? Well this manga was made by him. It is the story of a princess dragged into a war between mighty empires made on the remains of what civilisation left after it destroyed itself during a great war. During her journey she seeks to create a peaceful existence between men and between men and nature, even as nature turned into a toxic forest home of gigantic bug-like creatures. It's awesome.

Then, there's Gunnm, once again in a post-apocalypse setting, the story of a cyborg girl with extremely powerful martial techniques, trying to make herself a new life in a city that's essentially a giant open dump. It's very grimdark, and bloody, both in the conception of the universe, and in the drawings, but it's extremely imaginative and rich, and it comes with a great story as well.

Those are, along with Someday"s Dreamers which I really like for the drawings, the only completed collections I have in my library. I'd like to add more, but buying everything in one go is costly ...

My manga collection is... large enough, I guess. I have some series in storage since my bookshelf can't handle the vastness of Fullmetal Alchemist and Excel Saga. It's growth has been dwindling lately. Primarily due to budget, but mostly because the series I've been reading are over (Hellsing), close to being over (Fullmetal Alchemist), dropped off the face of the Earth (Moyasimon) or are so slow to update, I forget to care (Soul Eater, Excel Saga).

My favorites in the box? Chibi Vampire. Angelic Layer. Yeah, mostly girly things since I find Shonen Jump to be redundant.

I need to find a new manga to love. Maybe.

My favorites in the box? Chibi Vampire. Angelic Layer. Yeah, mostly girly things since I find Shonen Jump to be redundant.

I wouldn't call Chibi Vampire or Angelic Layer particularly girly. In fact, I'm pretty sure those are both shounen manga.