The Kandy Kaleidoscope [Las Pegasus] (Open to Customers)

Skycoaster

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm nodded to Candy and then Psmith herself, before looking back to the stallion that was running the establishment and back to the new comer that had gathered her attention. He still seemed to be focused on her, which Ice now thought it was a good thing. It meant that he was curious, and that he would probably seek her out on his own accord at this point. As for now though, there were other matters that she needed to attend to. "Well Miss Candy, as much as I would love to stay and continue helping out, I have some business that I need to attend to, along with the deliveries to make. I'm afraid I probably won't make it back before you close. If you need any help, just send somepony over to the Fire and Ice, I'm sure some of my agents would love to assist you," she smiled before loading a small cart and then leaving in tow with Psmith.

~~~Exit Ice Storm~~~

~~~Golden Bit~~~

It had taken Golden Bit a bit longer to make the drop at the back than she had expected. While the accounts and everything were set up, there was some questions on whether she was allowed to make deposits into the accounts. After a bit, and a couple managers getting involved, and then a couple head bonks of the tellers from said managers for being dumb, Golden was able to put the bits in the account. It wasn't like she was trying to take money from the account, she was putting money into it, and it also wasn't like she wasn't a customer of the bank itself and had the entirety of the Mareage's Finances going through it or anything. Nope, not at all. She chalked it up to the ponies just trying to be a bit too over protective to not give access to an account that they were unsure of. Honestly, it was a good problem to have, if not annoying.

She finally made it back inside just as Ice Storm was leaving with another patron. She seemed to be deep in conversation with them so she simply waved to them as they departed as to not interrupt them and made her way inside. When she got back in the candy shop, she was shocked to see that it was still just as full as when she left it. Windy and Glimmer was nowhere to be seen, but Sky was still here playing the piano. That told her that Windy had probably taken Glimmer someplace quieter for a nap among other thing. She then saw the note for the Platinum Palace and her jaw dropped. When did she get an order from Blueblood? She then heard to other familiar voices. Not because she knew them personally, but they are ponies you definitely recognize when you here. Prince Shining Armor and Princess Flurry Heart were here as well? Welp, better close the doors now, the rest of the stock is probably going home with that filly. At this, Golden made her way back up to Candy at the counter, laughing a bit. "Wow Candy, I didn't realize that you were going to become a millionaire on your first day! You've got quite the clientele already," she said through her laughs.

She then looked over to Shining and Flurry, especially as the little one noted that it was just Flurry Heart, and Shining armor right now since they were on vacation. "And aren't you just the cutest little princess ever! Hopefully you're not giving your parents, too hard of a time," she smiled holding a hoof out to Shining Armor. "Golden Bit, owner of the Mareage, and at least until tomorrow," she smirked, looking back at Candy. "The landlord of the building that you're standing in. Are you going to be in Las Pegasus for a while?" She asked politely. She was wondering if they had already booked reservations, otherwise she could make sure they were taken care of.

• Like 1

River wisp was lead over to the popping corn, and he was fascinated by the strange machine. Popping corn?! He wasn't sure he'd like it, so the regular bag it is. He was captivated by the popping machine, they had nothing like that in his village. He supposed that it was just strange pony magic, but he wasn't sure who was controlling it. 

He heard Beans talk about Candy having a... monopoly on farming. What's a monopoly? He didn't want to sound dumb, so he wasn't going to ask anything. River blushed as he heard beans say: "As for Ice Storm, I think she's a private pony and we've kinda been eavesdropping. " he did know he was sometimes too curious, but he couldn't help it! When ponies are interesting, he needs to know more about them! He gave Beans a sheepish smile, before ordering a normal bag and apologising for his nosiness. However, he was not done with Ice Storm yet.

As he was waiting for his bag to be filled, (with popping corn!!) he heard the door's bell ring. In came a white stallion and a sickly pink pegasus. No, wait.. it was a unicorn. Wait, it was both?! She was a little younger than him, and he stared at her in bewilderment. A unicorn with wings! Where had he seen that before? Oh right! the royal pony sisters, but he was sure she couldn't be a royal, what royals walked into a sweet shop with their daddies? Candy looked absolutely shocked at their arrival, but River decided to treat them just like any other pony; I mean, it's not like he'd ever heard of them anyway!

He trotted over to the the mare and her father, who were currently in the process of browsing for sweets. He approached behind the winged one, and tried to decipher if they were even real. He came to the conclusion that, yes, she was in fact real. River accidentally brushed the pink pony, and she turned around in shock. With an overly-confident smile he started to write; "Hello! My name's River Wisp. I've never seen a non-royal winged unicorn before, may I ask if it's a spell?" With the shocked look on everycreature's faces when they read it, he suspected that he might have said something wrong...

For the verses, and the first instance of the chorus, Sky kept to listening to the little zebra's singing as he played.  Her voice was quite good, and he judged she would grow up to be quite a good lead once she had a few more summers under her belt.  As it was, he hummed along with her to the tune, only breaking out in lyrics after the second verse, in harmony with her:

"Lakini kwa upendo na ufahamu,
Mkuu mkubwa, mkuu mkubwa,
Uwanda na mawe, ilibadilika,
Kutoka utupu, kuwa taifa lenye nguvu!"

However long the song went, he would finish it out, before playing out the bridge and coda instrumentally, the little group remaining around to listen to the music breaking into applause once he'd finished.  Smiling down at Muziki, he'd pat her head with his wing.  "Thanks for teaching me!  If your parents are playing a show at the Mareage, I'll have to go and see you with them sometime.  Right now, though, I have to go upstairs and see to my own little filly, OK?"

Speaking of Dad's and Daughters...

"That's right, Flurry."  It was with some effort that Shining kept himself from calling the Princess 'Fluffalump' in public, but she'd been good this trip, and it would probably be wise to keep parental embarrassments at her expense to a minimum today.  He'd keep that one in his quiver for when he needed to head off a potential sugar rush.  That could be dangerous when its an alicorn...
"Oh, you have kettle corn?  I love that!"  The smell of the salty-sweet treat was already making the stallion's mouth damp from anticipation, and the family's reputation for their signature product preceded itself.  In the meantime, he reached out a hoof to shake Golden Bit's.  "Nice to meet you!  And yes, we're here for a long weekend trip.  Nothing really big planned out, actually; is there anything you'd recommend?"

Keeping an eye on Flurry, he noticed one of the customer's approaching, what looked like a kirin, actually.  Was he writing?  That was odd, he thought that his sister's friends had cured their silence.  Maybe it hadn't stuck with some of them?

• Like 2

The singing she had done with the piano pony was a very delightful experience, she very did believe, Muziki liked that the Equestrian folk did their best to treat other cultures with respect. He couldn't really sing the song all that well because it was a hard language but he was trying, and in that very effort lay the good nature that Muziki had come to know the Equestrians by. When the singing was over she gave the stallion a hearty pat on the back and a swift smile. "Oh, okay! Someday, someday I teach you the next verse, and it will be so very fun, yes?" She said as she hopped away from the piano, leaving him to attend to what was without a doubt a very pretty little foal filly. As she did so, she made sure to take what Saltwater said to heart. "Oh, I see! Well, if it helps, the room is small so not too many ponies can come in at a time, so if you were worried about too many wenzi wa chumbas, don't worry, there can't be!" She said, assuming his concern would be that it would be too crowded in there for the delivery. It was Unyasi custom to share a space with as many friends and families as possible in a large communal gathering, but the room was barely big enough for the traditional bedding let alone the rest! He would not have to worry a bit. Nothing else could possibly be wrong!

As she was preparing herself to leave, she finally caught wind of all the commotion in the shop. She tilted her head. They looked familiar. Were they familiar? Equestria had a lot of famous pony folk and she wasn't so sure she could keep their names all straight in her head. It took a few more seconds for her to realize this was the Princely stallion of the Crystals and the smallest of the Alicorns, the Princess Heart. Wow, were they summoned because she was a winner? Did Princesses always find the winners? Okay, no, that was silly. She was very excited to see them! Even the fancy ponies liked the candies! "Hi, hello! Please to meeting you! I'm Muziki!" Muziki said as she trotted closer to the Princess. She had never seen an Alicorn up close before. Sometimes she saw the Sparkle in Ponyville, but this was a different creature entirely! Both literally and in the figuratively, at that. "Wow, you're very pretty! Is flying hard with horn?"

• 3 weeks later...

Candy Corn would sigh in relief as she saw Goldie return. Dealing with an order for Blue Blood was one thing, as it was a proxy order per se, but an alicorn and her equally royal father in the store was another. She looked on to Goldie’s experience. She’d blush when told she’d be a millionaire soon. “Not without your help and business prowess. That reminds me, when we close for the night, I need some advice.”

When she heard Shining Armor mention Caramel Corn, she would quickly fill a bag for him and Flurry. She would levitate it and a bag of candy corn over. 

Beans would fill River’s bag of popcorn before watching in shock as the kirin would just walk over to the smallest alicorn. He’d make sure to hoof deliver it to River as it was an excuse to meet the princess up close for him as well before looking back to Candy and receiving a nervous glare from his boss. “It’s an honor you highness. I’m Coco Bean and this is my friend and currently customer. What can I get for you?”

To say little Flurry was surprised by all the attention was nothing new, but for it to be during an unplanned trip to a new candy store in town was another. Letting her father and the older ponies do their jobs, she’d focus on her new entourage of sorts. “Hi. I’m Flurry Heart, princess of the Crystal Empire.” Flurry was surprised by the young kirin’s questions, though answered them as most you foals do, not dwelling on them. “Nope. Not a spell. I was born with both…and looking at my foal photos, they, and my horn were bigger than the average foal. I never met a Kirin before, do you all write like that? Can you change the color or font, or is it like our aura from our horns, unique to the pony.” By now, a young zebra has joined the group by the name of Muziki. “For me, not really. Being born with both helps. I guess Antie Twilight had trouble learning to fly though, and from the stories I’ve heard it was kinda funny at first.” 

~~~Golden Bit~~~

It wasn't exactly the reply that she was expecting from royalty, but at the same time, she was hardly surprised. With everything always being meticulously planned for them, it must be nice to get to just sit back and wing it for once. The pair instantly seemed to attract the bulk of the attention in the room, and she also wasn't surprised by that either. When one of the primary rulers of Equestria walk into a store, like it or not, everypony in, and around the store takes notice.

They probably had no idea about it now, but as soon as Flurry Heart and Shining Armor bit into the candies provided for them, it would determine the ultimate fate of this shop. To get an endorsement from an Alicorn is one thing, from an Alicorn filly that probably hasn't yet learned how to truly mask her emotions... Gosh... she hoped that Candy could make enough candy for not only the ponies of Las Pegasus, but ponies from all over at this point. Word will travel that Flurry was here, and it will also travel as to what she thought of the place.

As it stood now, Flurry was addressing the other fillies that were in the shop while she turned back to Shining Armor when he asked if she had any suggestions. "Oh absolutely I do!" Golden started. "Since you're going to be here for the weekend you absolutely must see Las Pegasus's own, Wind Dancer, performing on Sunday! She's one of the most popular show ponies here, and always goes out of her way to make the little ones happy and make sure they have a good time."

"As for your stay, if you would like, you can stay at the Mareage, house comped of course. And, while I can't speak for my neighbor myself, I'm sure if you wanted to stay at The Fire and Ice next door, I'm sure Ice Storm would also be happy to comp you as well. Actually, With her being military, and you being the Captain of the Royal Guard, you probably already have room access there," she said aloud, tapping a hoof to her chin at the last bit.

"I would say to ask her, but I just saw her leave in a bit of a hurry after speaking with another. It's possible she might be looking into something," she finished, looking over to Candy that was trying to get her attention. She apparently had some questions for her when she closed for the evening. Golden would nod. "I would be happy to help in any way that I can. After all, if you succeed, then I succeed, and everypony wins."

River wisp smiled at the young princess's answers. It was truly impressive to be born with wings and a horn! He wasn't surprised that she had never met a kirin before, their species were very elusive. He was a little shocked, he'd have to admit, about her questions regarding font and colour. He'd never even tried customising them! 

"I believe I'm one of the only kirins who uses this method of communication", River wisp answered, "I never learned to speak due to being born during the Great Silence. A yellow pegasus and an orange earth pony freed us, what were their names again? Butter-shee and Pear Jack? I don't remember." He contemplated that for a moment. Those names didn't sound right, but he was only young when they came. River attempted to change the font and colour of his writing for a moment. And to his surprise, he was able to! 

"It seems I can change my font and colour! I've never tried before, thanks for the idea!"

He smiled warmly at the princess, then remembered about the popcorn. It should be done by now!

"I need to go now, thank you!", he turned to the royal guard for a split second, he reminds him of somepony... somepony purple...

River turned back to the popping corn machine, only to see beans right in front of him holding a red and white striped bag. He started back in surprise, bumping into the large white unicorn with a thump. River chuckled awkwardly and walked to the side, apologising profusely to the scary soldier-looking pony. 

"sorry... Beans scared me." he turned to beans and took his popcorn in his magic, replacing it with some bits. "I-I'll be going now" 

River walked off to the other side of the store, his face completely red from embarrassment. 

Shining was absolutely delighted to see the two young ones in the store warm up to Flurry Heart.  Being a Princess gave one a lot of advantages in life, but it did mean a dearth of ponies available for playdates and such.  He and Cady honestly worried sometimes about how much socialization she would actually get outside of the family and castle, so her making friends on vacation was a good thing to see.

As he waited for the candy corn, he took in some itinerary suggestions from Golden Bit.  "I believe we already have reservation at the Fire and Ice; Ice Storm is a friend of the Crystal Empire, just based on the work she's put in defense of us."  He didn't want to talk too much on that subject, given that this was supposed to be a happy time.  "I will make sure to get tickets to Wind Dancer's show, though!  Hm, and perhaps the one Mizuki's family will be putting on too- oh, thank you!"  

He accepted the corn, popping a kernel into his mouth, savoring the sweetness.  "Mmm, delicious!  What do you think, Flurry?  It's good, isn't it?"  Looking down at his daughter, he noticed River Wisp back off to take his leave.  He gave a little nudge to Flurry, prompting her to either say goodbye, or offer a future visit.  If she wanted to make friends, she'd have to step out herself, and not rely on her parents to make them for her.

Muziki nodded vigorously as the young Princess pony described how easy it was to fly and use the magic she had. Well, Muziki was a little confused. She thought that horns were heavy and that was why unicorns were always being called thick-headed! Or was that a pegasi? Or both? Okay, now Muziki was confusing herself. Still, she liked what she was hearing. "Oh, that is good! I have wondering how it feel. It must be so exciting! And then you use your horn to tell everypony what to do if they're being bad. Oh! Or, or do Princesses use beauty to bewitch subjects? Hmm. Which makes sense, because Princess. Do you cause the hurricane with wing flaps? I, I have a friend in the Ponyville who says his wings strong enough cause hurricane, but I don't believe him. He is a teller of tall tales! Not like his mama, the Apple mama doesn't tell lies. And she also was laughing once about Twilight Princess flying funny! Which makes sense, since I once heard a joke about it in the Manehattan when I first come to Equestria. But..." she looked up at her very handsome, very big Prince-father. "It not best polite company."

"Muziki, uko wapi? Tunahitaji kuanza kujiandaa kwa wimbo!"

Muziki's ears stood up straight in excitement as her head turned to the door. "Oh! That is mama!" The young zebra said in excitement. Oh, she had so many things to show her! Muziki had spent all of her money on all the cool trinkets that the storeponies had said were the top cool things to get, so mama was bound to be super impressed. She turned back to the Princess and the other ponies and even the Kee-ran! "It very good to meet all and be a free candy winner, but mama calls!" She turned her head out towards the door and hollered back. "Mama niko kwenye duka la peremende! Mimi ni mshindi, jitokeze baada ya dakika moja!"

• 1 month later...

Candy Corn would take a few deep breaths as she watched from the counter all the activity. Beans and Salty were doing great. Her eyes would dart from case to case, checking the current stock of each item in her head. She would mumble to herself before returning her attention to the royalty. "I'm glad yinz...you like it. Lots of family pride, and Bittsburgh pride for that matter as well."

As River departed, Flurry would wave a hoof. "I hope our paths cross once again in the future," she'd say before looking back to her father, knowing it sounded familiar after she said it. Now with her attention on her zebra friend, she'd chuckle. "My mother gets to rule the Crystal Empire. I still have a lot of learning to do from both her, Dad, and Auntie Twilight. I think what they use is called the 'Royal Canterlot Voice,' though I won't learn that till I'm older and less likely to abuse it. I did find out though if an alicorn sticks her wings out like this and tells somepony to do it, they salute you and do it...for the most part," as she looked back to Shining once more. "I haven't tried to make a hurricane, but I think I read that if enough pegasi get together, they can make a tornado...or something along that line. I still have more to learn from Cloudsdale history." 

When Flurry heard Muziki's mother call her away, she nodded. "Perhaps you and your family could come visit the Crystal Empire. I'm sure a traveling show would draw a lot of Crystal Ponies. Then I could give you a grand tour?" She'd look up to her father. "What do you think mom would think?" as she waived a wing goodby.

With most of the patrons having made their selections and leaving the store, Flurry and Shining almost had the run of place. Candy would nod to Salty and gesture towards the smallest alicorn. Salty would fly over to her. "What would you like to purchase today your highness?" Flurry would smile. "I want to get one of something that everyone who works here made." Salty would tap her chin. "Well, Miss Candy Corn made most of everything. I made the taffy today. Coco Bean made the chocolate drops....and more of the chocolate, but your Uncle Blue seemed to have bought most of it."

Flurry Smiled. "Ok, two pounds of taffy, two pounds of chocolate, and a mixed barrel of the hard candies....oh and some of that Bittsburgh popping corn to go." Stopping for a moment she'd ask shining a question. "What should we get mom?" before returning her attention back to the store owner. "Miss Corn, what do you think a stressed out alicorn would like?" 

Candy Corn would smile. "BonBons are always a good idea. I have ones with pieces of candy corn in them." Flurry would nod. "Do you want anything more dad?" she'd say looking to her father.

Candy would walk over to Goldie as Beans and Salty would begin to package the young princess's treats. "I never thought today would go like this. It was almost too much," she'd say wiping sweat off her brow. "Between royalty and Windy's generosity...I'm going to have a lot of work to do. In the city that doesn't sleep, I'm afraid I'm going to need one heck of a long nap." Seeing that her apprentices had things under control, she'd motion with her head for Goldie to follow her off the floor.

"I need some advice. I think today proved that I need more staff....sales ponies so that I...and Salty and Beans to an extent, can focus on production...and maybe even keep more regular hours. I figure you'd know who...or how to hire. Would you mind helping me out?"

~~~Golden Bit~~~

Hearing Shining Armor say that he already had reservations at the Fire and Ice admittedly made Golden Bit feel a tad bit jealous, but she wasn't surprised. Like she had mentioned, Ice was military, and probably knew that he was coming long before anypony else did. It wasn't that she wasn't happy for Ice Storm, and she wished her neighbor success, but she also knew that royalty from the Crystal Empire would draw attention to the Mareage. Attention meant attraction, and that meant more revenue. Honestly, the part that most surprised her was the fact that he'd said that Ice Storm was an ally of the Crystal Empire and that she was kind of known there. She'd apparently helped defend it at some point, and wondered if it was any correlation to the return of King Sombra when the Crystal Empire returned. Honestly, given everything that she knew about that mare recently, and what she's achieved despite everything, she wasn't surprised.

She was delighted to hear that they would be getting tickets to see Windy though. She knew that would make her happy. Windy always loved performing for little ones. "That's great! I'm sure Windy will love hearing that! I'll make sure you get a front row seat in the bleacher section of the show," Golden said with a knowing smirk. She knew exactly which routine Windy was using this week and that anypony in the first three rows of the bleachers would be caught in a sizable wave. It was honestly Windy's favorite part of the routine, and she tried to make the wave bigger with each performance. 

After a few moments, she caught sight of Candy beckoning from a distance. She gave a soft smile and a nod. "Well, I do hope to see you around your highnesses, but it seems that my assistance is needed by my new protege. I hope that I can manage to catch up again before you leave," she smiled before she made her way over to where Candy was. She listened to her speak about how today proved that she was going to need more staff, and she asked about a hiring process. "Well first, the only pony that's going to know what you are going to need for a business that you started will be you dear. I can give you a few pointers on how to spot quality ponies in a city like this. I can definitely teach you the 'how to hire', but the only one that can figure out 'the who', is you," Golden smiled. 

• 4 weeks later...

As River recovered from his embarrassment, he heard the small pink pony call to him. River would wave to her and bow his head slightly before turning to the door. He saw a zebra call out in a foreign language to the other small zebra in the shop. The language was not unfamiliar; it was similar to his own. Though not sure, River believed that their languages both stem off of the same root dialect, most likely helped by the past trading between the kirins and zebras. He could make out a couple words, but he couldn't string together the whole sentence. As the small zebra (who he reasoned was called 'Mizuki' from the mother's call) excitedly ran up to the door, River waved goodbye at her before leaving himself. It was a little too loud in there for his taste and he already had his popping corn. When he left, the tall mother zebra caught his eye; River didn't know much about zebras, the ties between their cultures were cut many years ago. He wondered how their magic works without horns or wings, they did have magic... right? River wondered about asking her about it, but would it sound rude? He pondered over it for a bit, and he saw her about to leave, so he quickly tapped her on the shoulder and wrote: 'Hello! I'm not sure if you speak ponish, but if you do, could I ask you some questions about Zebras?' He smiled awkwardly as he stared at her unusual cutie mark. Wait... they have cutie marks, or was that just a marking? Not going outside of the village for years did wonders for his negligence of other creatures. He heard of an old pony tale about zebras: something something she does evil dances and if you look deep into her eyes, she will put you in trances! He just hoped it was about a different zebra. River smiled at Mizuki, that tale can't mean her, she seems too nice!

• Like 1

Shining Armor smiled as his daughter laid out her order.  It was rather considerate of the filly to highlight the skills of everypony involved in the shop; it showed she had a true royal instinct.  After all, it was a fact of life that a purchase from a Princess was seen as a kind of patronage, a stamp of approval that could be worn as a badge of honor.  In such cases, it was good to not play favorites among the staff, even unintentionally, as that could potentially cause strife within the shop.  He remembered Cadence telling him about the time she'd learned that the hard way...

Speaking of Cadence, he wasn't actually sure if she would like chocolate-coated candy corn, but it was unique from this shop, so that might make up for it.  As for him?  "Oh, you can add a small bag of lemon drops to that as well.  If you have them, I know they're not very popular these days.  But with all this sour candy that's coming out lately, you'd think they'd be due for a comeback, don't you think?"

Turning to Golden once again, he nodded in a thank you.  "I'm sure Flurry will be thrilled to see her up close; she's just started her wing training for flight class, and I think she's inherited a large affinity for the sky from her mother."  Not that Cadence flew all that much these days, but she had ascended from a pegasus, and that never really leaves one.

• Like 1

Candy would nod to Goldie and then sigh. "I'd appreciate that. I know what to look for in a candy maker, not a sales pony. I probably should take out an add and start the interviews on Monday? I know it's an old time idea that might not work well in the city that doesn't sleep, but I think I'm going to keep the limited Sunday hours. I think I'm going to have Salty run the sales par tomorrow so I can get some more inventory made." She'd smile to Goldie. Perhaps Monday you could swing by and show me how to interview?" Candy would then make her office and levitate a bit out of her pocket and place it in a frame on her desk before hanging it on the wall behind her. "You still remember your first bits, right?"

Salty would be packing little Flurry's order when she herd Shining ask about Lemon Drops. She would chuckle. "Candy wanted an old time store and believe it or not we have Lemon Drops. A whole barrel of them. Candy call it 'Bit Candy' because of how cheep it used to be I guess. I think she was talking about adding an green apple one as well once she finds a good source of green apple flavoring." Flurry would look to her father. "Think Apple Jack would have any apple flavor for making candy?"

Beans was busy at the register, ringing up all the items. He was sweating and visibly nervous. How do you ask a royal for money, he though to himself. "Your...Your total is......58 bits." His voice would tremble. Flurry would look back in surprise. "I though it would be more, didn't your dad? Can we leave them a tip since they were all so nice to us?"

• Like 1

Muziki was getting ready to barrel out the door to explain to her mama in all the ways she had been a big candy winner and felt super special because winning was fun, but so many ponies had so many questions! And offers. Questions and offers and all sorts of things for Muziki. She was not just a candy winner: She was a friendship winner! That was a sweeter win for sure. "Oh, mama and pa would very like the Crystal Empire! Yes! That is good idea. I will be sure to tell them Crystal Princess, Flurry Heart. She makes very good ugali and you will like it! Seeing you later!" She said as she waved back, before turning her attention to the Kirin. He had been very inquisitory and very sweet, and now he wanted to know all about the zebras!

She didn't have the time, though. Mama was calling! But she couldn't say no to such a beautiful creature, and besides, he seemed very nice and sweet. Plus he wrote, and reading ponish was good! As Muziki trundled up to her mother he was close by. Her mother, a fit mare used to the trials and travels of the plain as readily as her demanding routines as part of their shows, gave the newcomer a wary smile. Mostly because he was just following her daughter. "Mama, ni sawa. Anataka tu kuzungumza juu ya kushinda pipi! Oh...oh! Anataka kujua kuhusu Pundamilia!" Muziki said excitedly as she bounced on top of her mother's back, sitting down on it. The older mare rolled her eyes and smiled as she started walking. 
"Sawa, lakini ninatembea. Baba yako na mimi tumeandaa chakula cha jioni na ningechukia kula injera zote."
Muziki was faux terrified, falling backward. "Lakini basi nitakufa njaa! Hakuna tena Muziki!" She giggled as her mom lightly chuckled. While laid down, she looked at the kirin.

"I speak ponish! Do you speak ponish?"

*Muziki has left the shop- she will continue talking with River Wisp as long as he wants, but they are walking away*

As they walked, they passed by another customer who in turn paid them little heed.

*********************************************************************************

Her every movement was indeed calculated to exact the response she wanted from those around her, yes.
Her every breath, every look, every beat of her  heart divined to drive one to the desires in their own, yes.
Her every scent, every hair on her pelt, her peddy, her eyes- yes, she as sculpted for desire.
Her every thought and action designed to entangle and weave, yes.
For all that and many more sins though, Heart Stopper still wanted some chocolates. 

She was stuck in this lousy Equestrian city as part of some ridiculous 'Maretonian Unity Summit' as part of the Kastroti delegation, as if the militaristic birdbrains of Acreoneighos or the dirt-thumpers of Hippostion deserved even a speck of Kastroti attention. It had achieved little though she was sure a very fine press release would be put out by Princess Traitor Sparkle and other childish figures, so she spent her time when the comedy special that was the summit was not in session scoping out this 'party city' for potential additions to her various social clubs, harems, and associated activities. Equestrians really didn't know how to party but at least when they got liquored up at the clubs they allowed a little bit of their wild side. She already had noted several dozen ponies (and a few others) she planned to whisk away once she had sufficiently detached them from their meager bonds here. She had better uses for them then whatever pathetic, non-Kastroti life they had before. 

She had worked up quite the hunger. She needed a little bit more than what her diet normally called for- she had a nagging headache caused by the summit's offer of 'cloud infused natural rainwater', such peganonsense- and she had bits to spend. A lot of bits, of course. The wealth of Heart island flowed to her bank and her bank alone when it was all said and done. After all, every relationship was her call, every family one of her own making. Their wealth was really only her wealth- and she made sure the peasantry knew who to thank and who to blame in measure equal and terrible alike. And she had decided that yes, she needed some chocolates.

And so she walked the city, testing and tasting and flirting and bantering. She had to dismiss (for now) a growing assortment of admirers once in a while, and even found herself more positively encouraging some young unicorn couples who seemed to be starting fresh and new in this city of dreams. It was not far from where she had just cajoled two young mares into expressing their feelings and running off in their passions (let their coltfriends figure it out) that she saw 'The Kandy Kaleidoscope'. As she watched the two mares dual-teleport away just before their coltfriends rounded the corner, she settled on that as a most wonderful place to settle her stomach's stern case for sweets.

She entered the shop, brushing past with a trailing tail a few others before gracefully and confidently strutting in. "Who owns this...fine establishment?" She asked regally, her bearing proud but showing no unfriendliness. Indeed, she was well versed in Equestrian customs and bore a friendly, warm smile and twinkling blue eyes. She was beyond a natural beauty, as if  carved in stone, drawn in the mind model of perfect form and function, while the end of every sentence seemed to end with an unspoken promise. "I would like to judge just how old-fashioned your candy truly is, after all. A bold claim indeed, my fine...?" 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

~~~Golden Bit~~~

Golden nodded to Shining Armor and Flurry Heart at their response. "Then consider it done. We we have your places reserved and you'll be brought in immediately upon arrival. I'm sure Windy will look forward to having you in her show. Oh, and I wouldn't plan on wearing anything expensive," she giggled before turning back to Candy.

"I would probably say to start the interviews as soon as you feel comfortable with doing them. Just as you would be able to tell a lot about a pony from an interview, the client can do the same about you. And if your nervous, or if the interview feels rushed or not very well optimized, they will notice that. That could cause a client that you feel would be perfect for the position to back out because it could make them feel like you don't really have things together even if you do. Perception works both ways, but we'll save that for when I'm actually teaching you," Golden smiled, giggling a bit after. "For now, I think the only thing that you should worry about is celebrating what would be the best grand opening day that I've seen in Las Pegasus in a long time. Well, at least for one that's not a casino," she added before another pony walked into the room.

This pony caught the heads of most in the room. She was not Equestrian, but Maretonian. She stood taller than most everypony else in the room, and she kept an heir of regalness to her that would have been expected of Celestia, Luna or somepony else of high importance of that. She was clearly a delegate of sorts, and when she asked who the owner of the establishment. "That would be this fine young mare here, and while I'm not sure what Maretonian customs would consider old timey, but it definitely fits the Equestrian customs for it. Most of the candies here are the very same that I remember eating as a filly myself, and that's been ages ago," she responded.

• 2 weeks later...

Shining chuckled.  "I'm not quite old enough to remember those prices, my dad is though.  I got my sweettooth from him, I suppose."  He reminisced, as he accepted the bag of lemon drops.  "Apple drops would certainly work too; you could probably get them for most major fruit flavors if you have a good source.  The Oranges of Manehattan would get on board as well as Applejack if you approached them right; the clan all likes to work together if they can."

Despite the inflation over the years, the prices of this candy really were low by Crystal Empire standards, but that was mostly because anything that couldn't be produced locally, like chocolate, had to be imported either by airship or the Express train line, and that added a significant premium to a lot of the sticker prices.  "I'd say they definitely deserve a little extra, though not every shop accepts tips; most in Equestria should, though."  He recalled, though, from an officer's training trip to Germaney and Prance, that the waiters and shopkeepers there actually got offended if tips were offered, as if you were insinuating that workers weren't paid enough there.  One always had to be mindful as a royal of customs that weren't your own, as you were often crowned the head of many kinds of ponies, and some non-ponies as well!  Fortunately, if Flurry Heart's attitude and, well, heart continued to be as open as she was now, he saw a bright future for his little Fluffalump!

Speaking of foreign traditions though....

As soon as Heart Stopper, the Kastroti noblemare, walked in the door, all heads were turned on her.  And as soon as Shining Armor laid eyes on her, husbandly instincts trained by years warned him that this dame was trouble, trouble of the kind that came accompanied by a low-key saxophone in black and white.  Problem was, of course, that he couldn't put any finger on the reason why  he felt this way; she wasn't being anything more than polite... if a little flirtatious, perhaps?

*But... the last time I ignored warnings in the back of my head like that, I wound up fooled and brainwashed by the changeling queen.*  Best to just smile politely, speak when spoken to, and leave as soon as could be seen as polite...

Candy would take notes from Goldie's words of wisdom on hiring. If the crowds kept coming like this, sooner would be better then later. In a way it was a good thing the Kandy Kaleidoscope hadn't had it's hours placed on the windows in gold leaf yet as for now she could close one day a week to catch up and do the interviews and with any luck, get two local sales clerks.

Meanwhile Salty would had the now packed order over to the small alicorn princess who would accept it in her levitation. Flurry would look to her father. "Do you think we should get grandpa and grandma anything while we're hear? Aren't they coming to visit in a few weeks?"

As Candy followed Goldie back to the sales floor of the shop, a newcomer would catch the attention of everypony in the shop. Beans would practically jump over the counter to have the 'honor' of waiting on her. Meanwhile Salty would put a hoof to her face in embarrassment for not only her, but Candy as well.

Candy would walk over to newcomer, still wearing her saloon dress and levitate the standard bags of free candy corn to the mare and everypony that had seemed to have followed her her. "I'm Candy Corn. Welcome to our grand opening. Everything here was made the same way it was when my grandmother was a filly in Bittsburgh." Looking over to Beans who was also close to Heart Breaker, she'd clear her throat. "Beans? Coco Bean!" she'd raise her voice at the chocolate colored unicorn. "Please return to the register. You're getting quite a long line." Now that the shop keeping was done, Candy would fully get a chance to look over the mare in front of her, and her heart nearly skipped a beat as she blushed. "Sorry about that Miss. That was one of my apprentices Coco Bean. My other one, over by the taffy puller is Saltwater Taffy. Between all three of us, everything for sale to eat in this store way made by us...oh except the popping corn. That was grown by my parents back in Bittsburgh." Candy would start to blush even more as she was having thoughts enter her head that never had before.

Flurry would watch all of what was going on and look to her father then back to the mare. "I think I'll just share mine with Grandpa," she'd say looking to her father and seeing the face he made. "Bye Candy Corn, Bye Salty, Bye Goldie and Beans." as she started to walk towards the door. "Dad, is she what they call an enchantress," she'd ask just loud enough that Shining, and the newcomer could hear as she walked past.

Heart Stopper smiled politely as Golden Bit correctly pinpointed her point of origin. "Ahh, it is well and good that somehorn recognizes Maretonian breeding where she sees it," Heart Stopper said as she considered Golden Bit. She was a casino owner- that much Heart Stopper could say for sure. She was somewhat out of proper breeding age but had most certainly been a fine specimen not long ago. Not that age would preclude assignment to any number of wonderful roles and relationships, mind you. Casinos seemed an odd development to her, but a very exciting one at the same time. Getting fools to waste their 'bits' on games of chance? Such a business model would get you little more than a dagger in the back in most other places! Spoke to the good-heartedness (read: weakness) of Equestrians that she was as successful as she was rumored to be. "A pleasure to meet you...Golden Bit, is it?" She asked for confirmation, certainly hinting that the mare was well known and well-spoken of, so much so that even a foreign national had a chance of establishing her identity quickly. Of course she had been briefed and double briefed on major figures in the city just before she came, but why let a better story die?

It was then that one stallion approached her like a lost little puppy. Well, she wasn't here to indulge that particular mindset just yet. Before she could shoo the mutt away- 'Beans' by the sound of it, a particularly fitting name for somepony that may as well have panted- somehorn else got to it. Based on her own demeanor, this was the owner of the establishment. She was a mare of fair breeding. Too much candy perhaps, but her haunches were firm and she had quality eyes, the sort that some ponies would love to stare into. It was rare for a pony from Bittsburgh to have any sincere quality. Too much soot for her taste, the sort of industrial bellweather that beauty leaked away from rather than formed behind- which made it clearer why she had found herself suited to Las Pegasus instead. So far she had been lucky; all unicorns, some quality in a nation drowning in misconceptions of equality. In any case, this Candy Corn looked well enough for most. She knew well enough the effect she had on the mare and Heart Stopper was kind enough to not comment on it, though she did not hide the tingle of acknowledgement that seemed to dance below the surface. No need to comment or speak to it; she would simply allow Candy to come to the one conclusion a mare like her could come to.

"Well, that is wonderful to hear. Ponies with your talent? You must be rather proud to display it," she said kindly as she feigned a deeper interest in the store than her words would let on. "If you could, show me your best, that which expresses your talent the greatest. Leave nothing bare that could be shown, no?" She said softly, a soft gust of wind through the store sending some small strands of her mane hair to gently caress Candy's neck in a flourish so small only Candy would truly notice it. That same gust sent her tail to gently curl around her leg and upper thigh, her expression landed on the Prince of the Crystals as she allowed the candymaker to complete her task.

Of course, if Candy was of fine breeding, then Shining Armor was an exquisite creation indeed. Strong, taut muscles? Indeed. Intelligent and brave. From what she had been told of major figures, nary a health concern to his record. Of course he had fallen prey to the Changeling Queen- hardly the first Equestrian to fail the Shapeshifter's Challenge- which had sullied him, but only somewhat. Nothing that a proper cleanse couldn't handle! Too bad his taste in wife had been less than perfect. 'Princess' Cadance had once been a pegasus, had she not? And in any case, her otherwise beautiful form was misshapen with those wings and she was crippled internally by the presence of- uggh- Earth pony 'magic'. For all their power and grace, Alicorns proved that some sacrifices were simply too much in the grand scheme of things. His daughter was rather cute once you got past her own disfigurement. At least she had the excuse of having no say in it!

"Prince Shining Armor, an honor," she said with gentle bow of her head, keeping her eyes on him and allowing the subtextual gaze to somehow deepen as she did so before she rose with her regal bearing slighted just so, revealing a somewhat disarmingly happy mare. "I had hoped to meet you at a later date to discuss trade. If I had known I was going to see you here- and your beautiful daughter, amata principessa del Cristallo, Flurry Heart, a pleasure to meet you finally-" she offered sweetly to the little one before rising up, with her chest out, "-I would certainly have been dressed better!" She let out a laugh, "Oh, but my manners. Princess Heart Stopper of the Heart Family, among many other titles. I don't want to hold you-" she did and would, "-but I hope to make that trip soon. Perhaps this...Hearth's Warming Eve holiday season, principe delle vacanze?" She let out with as much playfulness as she would allow herself to show. Enough to appear disarming and polite, playful and excited, with just enough small trebles and trails in her words to allow the Prince to imagine just what could be offered to him, even if only in the recesses of his mind, if he allowed his imagination to wander.

It also allowed Candy to work, which was good because Heart Stopper was in the mood for some *snacks* that night.

River wisp smiled down at the little zebra, he had never met anycreature this friendly before. He was glad that he was leaving the store, as more people entered it got a lot louder. The hustle and bustle of the city wasn’t really for him, he decided. 
River turned his focus back to the zebra family. He had always been curious about different creatures, that was one of the reasons he came to Canterlot. He knew almost nothing about zebras, so this was his chance to learn about a creature other than ponies. 
“I don’t speak ponish, I write it!” River giggled a little at his unfunny joke and continued, glancing down at the zebra's hinds “I don’t know a lot about zebras, may I ask how your cutie marks work? Well, actually I’m not sure if they’re cutie marks. Those marks on your lower back, I mean.” 
He felt a little awkward and looked to the floor, not wanting to risk staring too much at them. He found their stripes rather mesmerizing, with the seemingly random but neat pattern they took and the everlasting question of ‘black on white or white on black?’. River wanted to bombard them with questions, just as he did when he first met a pony. That poor gray pegasus, she couldn’t keep up with the level of curiosity River had. Her eyes even seemed to drift at one point. He didn’t want to do that again…

While walking alongside the zebras, River looked back at the shop he had just left. It was a pretty thing, vintage looking with a dash of modernity. The scent of sweets still lingered on far after you left the shop. Lollies, caramel and popped corn all graced his nose with their delightful smell. Distracted,  River stumbled over his own hooves, and hit his head on an ugly-looking neighboring building. A zap of magic burst from his horn and hit the Kandy kaleidoscope's sign. River let out a gasp, both of shock and of pain. He could feel the throbbing in his head already. To make matters worse, noise from the blast was quite loud, and he groaned at the 3rd earache today. After a couple moments, he shook his head and slowly looked up, not wanting to see what he had done.
Luckily, the damage wasn't too severe, with only a couple letters being knocked off of the top of the sign, making it read 'e kandy-kaleidoscope'. The nearby ponies turned to see what the commotion was about, glaring at him and gasping at the broken sign. A pastel pink pony even whispered something to her friend, something that made River feel less than welcome. But, of course, life goes on and the hustle and bustle of the city soon continued. Most ponies went on with their day, but some stayed to check if everycreature was alright, and some of the bystanders actually ventured in to the Kandy Kaleidoscope after the commotion had died down.

River looked sheepishly back at the zebras before writing "Excuse me" and hurrying back in the direction he came, leaving a ghostly string of letters behind him.