Pen and paper style roleplay system?

Mayday

Looking for someone who might have experience or interest with Pen and Paper style Roleplay Campaign with Ponies based on modified system such as BESM or something totally different

I currently have question regarding to NPC and how to properly manages them, especially the enemies. I have spent some time customizing these system but currently have limited testing done so far especially in situation where there are a group of pony fighting NPCs. in BESM, we simply use the existing system and in Ponies and Puzzle, we created something sorta a "Friendship" system where the focus is to help each other. But I have not had a chance to do play actual play testing.

So currently looking for two things:

1. Insight on adding NPC enemies, the what and the how
  2. Player who want to test / have tested this before

Thank you!

Well the problem with using other system is that the NPC enemies in FIM are difficult to make. As ponies don't actually use attack to defeat them. Each enemies encounter would be more like puzzle, and at the same time, the way that FiM series imply the use of Friendship to help with every situation should also have some empathizes.

I am wondering if someone have a good idea on how to implement in a way that you beats by solving a puzzle rather then simply collecting Dice roll to reach over a certain hit point.

It all depends on how formulaic you want to design the encounters. If you want to rule out physical confrontation (which I think doesnt really fit the theme), you could set up skill challenges, where you have to overcome an obstacle with skill checks.

For example: you need to convince a guardspony of your innocence. You got a skill representing your conversation capabilities, so does the guard. now you and the guard make comparing skill checks. If after, say, 3 rounds of that you got more successes then the guard, he is convinced that you are innocent.

If the obstacle is inanimate, I would set up 2 different perimeters. Lets say you need to repair a bridge. Your Pony got a woodworks skill, ranging, say, from 1-10. The GM sets up a fixed value you need to be able to repair the bridge with skill alone. If it's lower you need to make skillchecks to find out if you are able to do it, if it's higher, you only need to check if it's a time sensitive situation.

However, and here comes where in my eyes the fun of Pen&Paper RPG comes in, the GM can allow his/her players to explain how they do it, and give them a bonus on their checks or make their checks easier. Like, say, you are a pegasus and explain that you use your flying to speed up the bridge repair. Or you got a really good explanation why you can't be the one who stole the princesses priced pet.

I hope that makes sense. :geek:

A new one was just released from a fan, posted for download over on Deviantart. Here is his notice from FurAffinity (hopefully including working links...) ;

Pony Tales: A Role-Playing Game for Ages Twelve and Older

Pony Tales is a role-playing game for ages twelve and older based loosely on the Open D6 open-source rules set. Rewritten from the ground up in a straightforward conversational style, the rules have been streamlined for ease of play and heavily customized for a better fit to the unique characters and setting. A chief feature of the game is its differentiation between “literal” games, which take the show’s anachronisms and inconsistencies at face value, and “figurative” games, which assume those elements are exaggerations or simplifications for effect. Where possible the rules make allowances for both kinds of games, offering suggestions and alternatives to suit the different styles of play. Pony Tales is available as a free PDF file for download in two sizes, US letter and A4, and in two formats, twenty loose-leaf pages or a forty-page half-size booklet.

A companion booklet, The Magical Land, contains background information and educated guesses to suggest ways of filling in certain blanks. It explores pony physiology, useful historical parallels from the real world, and possible technological and societal connections that might not be obvious. The Magical Land is available as a free PDF file for download in two sizes, US letter and A4, and in two formats, twelve loose-leaf pages or a twenty-four-page half-size booklet.

An eight-panel narrator’s (game-master’s) screen also is available, containing quick-reference tables and a “Pony Form” (character sheet). It is designed to be printed on or glued to four sheets of card stock, then assembled into a foldable screen to shield the narrator’s notes and story-spoilers from the view of the players. It too is a free PDF file for download in two sizes, US letter and A4.

All materials may be revised periodically as new information becomes available.

Pony Tales

US letter loose-leaf pages

US letter digest booklet

A4 loose-leaf pages

A4 digest booklet

The Magical Land

US letter loose-leaf pages

US letter digest booklet

A4 loose-leaf pages

A4 digest booklet

Narrator’s screen

US letter panels

If nothing else, here is the direct link to his pony folder; http://catspaw-dtp-services.deviantart.com/gallery/31686509

or if you have trouble with that, here is the announcement on Furaffinity with al the links; http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/2721800/