completed pony project for class

Angie Cakes

I'm going to shorten this down to olny include relevant information now.

okay, so in english class, our current project is to make a "zine" (that's cool teacher talk for magazine). we have to choose a topic and write a comparitive essay, a news article, a memoir and two advertisements for it, then assemble it all into a magazine. my topic is ponies. I'll post things as I finish along with my marks and any comments I get

I'm looking for people to give feedback

there, that's a LOT shorter now

EDIT: title page is posted below :D

EDIT: rough paragraph for comparitive essay posted below :-( bad marks

EDIT: memoir is posted below :D

EDIT: back cover posted below :D

EDIT: first advertisement up :D

EDIT: Project done!!! :D

EDIT: Marks Recieved!!! :D

Honestly, I'd totally go for it. I was actually totally surprised the other day--I have this coworker who seems like one of THOSE types (highly judgemental, snooty, and all around rather preppy) and then she saw that I had a MLP:FiM toy in my hand--and she was like, "OMG! I LOVE MY LITTLE PONY!!! THE FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC SERIES IS AWESOME!!!"

Needless to say, I was shocked. She was not nearly 'brony' material, but she loved the show. You may be pleasantly surprised. Also, yes. You spelled brony and bronies correctly.

Hmm. Sounds like an interesting little project....

You could always do something analyzing the show itself and what makes it so appealing. Maybe talk a little about the story and characters and all that. I don't know. Something like that, maybe?

And I'm pretty sure you got that right in terms of the spelling.

EDIT:

edit edit big edit~

today was our class to officially choose our topic, so now I have to do it on bronies. the teacher said it was okay if I could make it work. we also got our first sheet with the full list of what we have to do (no full details yet). it turns out that the essay is a research essay on the best and the worst of *your topic here*. my teacher asked how I was going to do that, and I said I would probably compare episodes or fanfics, but then she told me that it has to be fact-based and not opinion based (which makes no sence to me since she loved people's topics like Christmas and the 90's. I have no idea what they're going to write about).

so right now, I REALLY need ideas on what I should find the best and the worst of.

also since this is a research project, there's nothing wrong with me asking you guys questions. that technically falls under the catagory of interviews

ah, maybe if this gets to the point where I'm updating it a lot, it should be moved to general creativity or something ._. this project will probably be going for a couple of weeks.

How about I move this to Brony Chatter, since it does pertain to ponies.

Well, you could always make a poll asking about favorite episodes... that could be fact, right? :P

You could do it on different sides of the fandom? Maybe how there are good fans and bad fans, ones who take it too far and those that realize this show is about friendship and harmony. VS those who wear a Rainbow Dash shirt and punch out any guy to make something out of it.

• Like 1

You could also do it on the factual reactions of the shows--how it's turning many hard, mean, internet trolls into friendly piles of mush. Or how it's dragging shut-in internet addicts out of their basements, off to discover the magic of friendship.

Not even joking here, I have a male friend who is an internet junky--and has been since I first met him as a sophomore in highschool. Two years out of high school, and he was still living in his grandmother's basement, and RARELY left, only chatting with friends over IM and very, very rarely having them over to hang out--never leaving, he didn't have a job, he didn't apply for college. And I kid you not, this show has brought out a side of him I didn't know existed! He cleaned up his appearance, he got new glasses, applied for financial aid, moved to a new city to start college, and has been hanging out with friends, making new ones, and actually TALKING to people! It's a friggin' miracle! :-o And seriously, he will credit it to ponies. In my personal opinion, if MLP keeps up the good work, it could be as big of a phenomena as pokemon!

.....Anyone who tries to deny that Pokemon is a phenomena is crazy. Seriously. You could go almost anywhere on earth, and people would think of a certain yellow mouse if you said 'Pikachu.' In any language. For real real. Not for play play.

• Like 2

mah title page :D or my back cover, I dunno yet. even though this is a magazine, apparently we don't need a title or any information on what's in the magazine. all we need is a collage...

title_page_for_homework_by_theblueprintforlife-d4bqwkc.png

• Like 4

so far this IS up to date XD we have a painfully slow moving class. at the moment, we're supposed to have one (yes, one) paragraph of our comparitive essays done. I handed my one paragraph in on friday, so I don't have any feedback yet.

this is a grade 11 class. I don't know why our teacher is slowing this down so much.

I'm back on :D canterlot was giving me 404 errors :P I got my paragraph back yesterday and I did horrible! yay!

5=above level 3-4=at level 1-2=below level/fail

notes-

for documenting sources I got 5

filling out my reasearch notes I got 2/5 pieces missing (I also can't tell if it's facts or analysis) boxes missing/incomplete

reflecting on the sites (saying if they're good or not) 3.5/5

notes overall- 10.5/15

paragraph-

these are the notes she left me:

I am a bit unsure what is being proven?

Where is your cited info? P.E.A.C/E formula?

How can I tell what is fact and what is opinion with no cited sources?

In the end, is this proving that this is the best or the worst item?

(I worte two paragraphs) Is this part of the body?

circled things on my marking rubric:

may do a lot of retelling/summarizing

just listing quotations, limited discussion

not entirely clear in relating the two ideas (point and extension)

unclear with point

2/5

I really don't want to type out the paragraph, because it sucks and I was planning on re-doing it anyways. I just kinda BSed my way through it. but I will anyways :D

this is not spell-checked yet because it's a rough copy.

ah, it's so lame I can't even take it DX I'm not going to be a writer when I grow up :P

The nylon-haired ponies have many more innaccuracies than the gift set. while some things are the same between sets, such as Applejack missing her signaturte hat and freckles, Hasbro missed the mark by a lot more with this set. infact, vey few of the accessories match the show. Any fan of the show would know that Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Twilight own an aligator, a cat and an owl respectivly. Instead, Pinkie is given a pet mouse and Rarity is given a bird. while Twilight is given an owl, it bares no resemblance to her pet from the show whatsoever. As of now, it hasn't been revealed what type of pet Rainbow Dash owns, or if she even has a pet, so we can forgive Hasbro this time for pairing her off with a squirrle. Hasbro did manage to get it right with Apple Jack though. while the dog doesn't look exactly like Applejack's Winona, it is the right breed and colour. Of course Fluttershy, the animal lover, can adopt all these incorrect animal accessories and nothing will seem out of place.

While on the topic of Fluttershy, I have to bring up the question; why is Fluttershy's hair hot pink? On the TV show, Fluttershy's hair is clearly a very pale shade of pink. There are other Fluttershy toys with nylon hair that is coloured correctly, but for some reason on this toy the colour is way off. the hair colour is incorrect on two other characters: Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Twilight's hair is barable, it just has a bit too much pink. Rainbow Dash on the other hand, isn't nearly as lucky. Instead of giving her full rainbow hair, Hasbro cheaped out and only gave her four colours. Now RD must live with a red, yellow and green mane and a blue tail, instead of the glory that is a full visible light spectrum.

so yes. I'm fully aware that it's fair for me to lose marks for not useing any sources at all (I just wrote this with 100% my own knowledge from before I did research). no need to tell me that. any opinions on her comments that don't relate to me not quoting anybody?

also, does anybody know any websites where I can upload pictures even if they don't belong to me? I'm probably going to do a few collages like the one above, but with fanart. I don't want to upload to DA if I didn't do the artwork (I was kinda iffy about uploading the last one)

photobucket? is that a good one?

I am a bit unsure what is being proven?

How can I tell what is fact and what is opinion with no cited sources

You're proving that Hasbro doesn't watch the shows they promote...also, that being a brony is awesome.

She needs to go to the store and LOOK at the toys, then watch the show, then compare.  Duh.

Go ahead and use Photobucket...it's free, and easy enough to use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my memoir :D or at least my first draft X3 please tell me if there's something that sounds sort of awkward or if you can think of a way to improve it :)

general guidlines for memoir:

250-300 words (this is 356, so it's a bit over)

focus on one event

should be passionate and opinionated in tone

use direct and percise language

can be humoros and/or serious

should include specific details (who what when where why how)

should reflect my character and values

should evoke a strong emotion

a lesson should be learned at the end of the story

(if you guys can think of what the moral of the story is, then I did it right)

I'm sorry, I'm not a writer -_-

but I am sort of proud-ish of this. it's my first draft anyways.

this story is 85% false. it's supposed to be a true or true-sounding story. embelishing is allowed :P teacher said so

I was kind of a loner at the time. Even though I’d been at this new school for a couple years, I still hadn’t managed to make any friends. My online life was starting to suffer as well. Normally users who found my videos were always kind and friendly people, but recently some less-than-friendly people had shown up. They started flame wars on my videos, telling me that I’m wasting my time on these awful animations; I should make some real friends. My good friend, PinkyMagenta, had been on vacation at the time, so I was without my strongest defence against internet trolls.

I decided to do what I always do when I’m feeling down, Google ways to pick myself up. That day’s search was “shows to cheer me up”. I came upon a forum all about the topic. Many users listed off shows I’d seen but didn’t really enjoy. I skimmed over the 30-or-so pages until I ended up at post with a silly-looking derp-eyed pony. I’d seen this pony before; I knew she was from that new my little pony show. I’d never given it a second thought until I read what the user had posted. They went on for a good paragraph or two about how the lessons that the show taught helped them get through some arguments they’d been having with their friends. I figured “why not?”. I dove right in and watched all 14 episodes that were available at the time on YouTube. I loved it! The animation, the story, the music, it was all perfect! And the user was right, the morals that the show taught was a great pick-me-up.

Once again, I searched through the internet to find a pony forum, Canterlot.com. I signed up and I don’t regret it one bit. The Brony community was incredibly welcoming. I hadn’t felt that accepted since I’d moved to my new school. I’ve always kept the lessons of love and friendship that this show taught me in my mind. Since becoming a brony, those lessons have helped me make some really close friends both in and outside of the internet.

I have read the spoiler. It sounds really nice! As for right now, I see no blunders in the grammar, nor in the story/biography outline. It's short and sweet, which is what I like to see. Not too much boring information, not lacking in an explatanory story outline. :)

I'm not seeing any problem with this, nor a way I could make it better. (This comment is about the spoiler^)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

also, does anybody know any websites where I can upload pictures even if they don't belong to me? I'm probably going to do a few collages like the one above, but with fanart. I don't want to upload to DA if I didn't do the artwork (I was kinda iffy about uploading the last one)

photobucket? is that a good one?

Imageshack.us is better. It's free and has no bandwidth limits.

Plus, it's so much easier to view everything.

Imageshack.us is better. It's free and has no bandwidth limits.

Plus, it's so much easier to view everything.

ah, to bad you didn't post that before. I just made a photobucket account last night XD

final project. handing it in tomorrow.

two writing pieces have red squiggly lines because I took screenshots. I made them in pages instead of photoshop, so I didn't know how else to post them :blush: they're all shifty because I added extra space to hole-punch them. didn't want to edit and re-save everything :P

page1.png?t=1320725333

Screenshot2011-11-07at100324PM.png?t=1320725334

page3.png?t=1320725334

page4.png?t=1320725334

page5.png?t=1320725334

page6.png?t=1320725334

page7.png?t=1320725334

page8.png?t=1320725334

Screenshot2011-11-07at80741PM.png?t=1320725334

backcover.png?t=1320457916

• Like 2

we did the peer evaluation today. we didn't get to see what other people said yet, but I just peeked at the sheets of the people marking mine. one was a 5/5, but I couldn't read his writing. the other was a 4/5 and it said "very well-writen and good visuals".

other than that it didn't get a reaction