Luna's Lament (Fanimation)

Whitehawke

So Bronytoons released their newest project: a 3-minute animation of Luna and Celestia.

Although the models look practically like those of the show, the animation is a bit janky and the custom shots of their faces are strange at times. Moreover, the voices could use serious work - Celestia's especially.

The plot is also really "eh" compared to previous fanimations like Friendship is Magic ***** and Present Prank.

Still, the fact we're getting 3-minute shorts already means we're one step closer to making our own episodes! :20:

• Like 1

hi hi

It was nice. I guess if I was Rarity, I might take that as an offense, but I do think it could have used a little polish in some places. It really is quite a feat though. The rapid pan and sunrise at the end were particularly epic. :)

On the topic of Celestia's voice, I think they might have been better served by not trying to worry so much about the voice sounding like Nicole Oliver and worrying more about the intonation. The voice actor did manage to pull off sounding like Princess Celestia, but in the process she ended up sounding almost condescending and strained. I realize that I probably shouldn't criticize too much though.

Yeah, not keen on Celestia's voice work or dialog. I do enjoy Luna's voice though and the actresses skill with it. As far as animation goes, I guess that is just a testament to the incredible skill of the show's animators to make their flash animation so incredibly fluid and smooth.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. I love the idea of fan-made animation and I appreciate all the hard work that no doubt goes into something like this...

But Celestia just didn't sound right. The dialog seemed forced and awkward. The best part was the animation, and it was noticeably beneath the actual show in a number of ways.

Still, I love what this represents and I'm sure the people who do these will only get better. For that, I definitely approve. :)

The animation wasn't bad and I appreciated how much they tried to be professional with the models. There was some noticeable jarring moments, but I can't fault them too much. It's not like they're getting paid.

But my alicorn that voice acting. I couldn't finish the short it was so bad. Celestia just drones in the most grating voice possible and Luna... well Luna isn't too bad actually. It's just Celestia. I think it's Trollestia just messing with us myself. @_@

I'm more impressed with the amount of effort put into it than I am with the production values. The voice of Celestia needs serious work. Not only does she fail to sound like Nicole Oliver, she formalizes the conversation too much, attempting to use words entirely to convey meaning instead of her inflection. Part of the fault also falls upon the writer for Celestia's lines. Luna's performance was much better from a voice acting standpoint.

Editing and camerawork could also have used a lot of work. Some of the cuts and transitions were way too fast or were very awkwardly framed.

Basically there is no reason to say this piece is "awesome," save for one: the bronies at bronytoons took the time and effort to even bother MAKING a short complete with music, full animation, and voice acting. The motivation to do good work is clearly there. This wasn't damaged by laziness, rather they need some good people to guide them. They clearly have the resources and desire to make something awesome.

I used to play Luna but got replaced by a better VA. :'(

Y U SO MUCH BETTER?

Awww :( *hugs*

Anyway, I found the short to be kinda boring. I know it's more about the animation, which is really good despite the odd hiccups, but it's just more of the "oh woe is me" Luna stuff that I am so bored of seeing now. Still, I look forward to what Bronytoons will do next.

I personally think it was pretty damn good. Admittedly, Celsestia's voice is a bit monotone, and the animation isn't as good as the actual show, but it's a great start and I like the idea a lot! And Luna shouldn't feel bad, DarcMoun (my RP pony) loves her beautiful night!

I'm more impressed with the amount of effort put into it than I am with the production values. The voice of Celestia needs serious work. Not only does she fail to sound like Nicole Oliver, she formalizes the conversation too much, attempting to use words entirely to convey meaning instead of her inflection. Part of the fault also falls upon the writer for Celestia's lines. Luna's performance was much better from a voice acting standpoint.

Editing and camerawork could also have used a lot of work. Some of the cuts and transitions were way too fast or were very awkwardly framed.

Basically there is no reason to say this piece is "awesome," save for one: the bronies at bronytoons took the time and effort to even bother MAKING a short complete with music, full animation, and voice acting. The motivation to do good work is clearly there. This wasn't damaged by laziness, rather they need some good people to guide them. They clearly have the resources and desire to make something awesome.

and not a single hate was given that day...

I really enjoyed it. The complaints are all valid of course, but I felt the emotion was touching and as noted before, the end with the pan and sunrise was impressive and strong. I'd be curious to see what this would be like if it got remade in the future after the people making it have more practice.

Now, the SINGING at the end :-|