Opacus Sol

DantonDamnark

Name: Opacus Sol - (Nickname/Goes by: Danton)

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Pelt Color: Mid Dark Grey - Hex Code: 5b6060

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Style - Shaggy Mane(Similar to Luke Screenwalker), Shaggy Tail(Similar to Dr. Whooves). Color - Bold Cyan, Hex Code: 0fc2c9

Eye Color: Upper: Grey; Lower: Yellow

Cutie Mark: See Picture

Sun_Stack01_small.png

Physique: Slightly slimmer than Average

Origin: Left in a basket on doorstep of the Ponyville orphanage with a note saying "Call him Opacus Sol. He was born today".

Roleplay Type: Mane

Occupation: Alchemist - Making Potions like Cures, Boosts(Buffs), and poisons. Only sells Cures/Immunity Boosters.

Motivation: After seeing, what he believes was a vision of the future, Danton now attempts to prevent what he saw.

Likes: Alchemy, His pet Raven, his few(but close) friends, Myths and legends, animals, meditation, shadows/darkness

Dislikes: The Apple Family (Thinks of them as "Apple-Brain'd brutes"), hurting animals, ponies taking/using his things

Character Summary:

At a very young age, Opacus Sol knew he was abandoned on the day he was born. This, at first, drove him resent who his parents were and his connection to them. This lead him to adopt a new name, Danton. Danton says that he heard the name during, what seemed like, a vision of the future.(This was not the vision mentioned in Motivation). Many years later, Danton no longer felt anger toward his parents however the name Danton grew on him and he found it too difficult to change back.

Danton is what many would call a "tragic character", though Danton himself does not think of himself as so.

This is despite being orphaned the day he was born, constant bullying and tormenting as he grew up, and even being constantly ostracized today. As a result of this "abuse", Danton became more and more stoic to the point where he looks as if he has no emotion. Very few know he lives in an old stone building in the Everfree Forest. It is speculated there is thousands of old and antique books based on all the books Danton buys from the Ponyville Book Store.

The meaning behind his Cutie Mark is that it represents Danton's talent for Alchemy. The Black Sun represents the beginning/ first process of Alchemy where the materials & ingredients are impure, while the (Normal) Sun represents the end, or final process, of Alchemy where the Opus Magnum is complete.

Danton is quite good with magic (but not as good or close as Twilight). His known Magic abilities include:

• Telekinesis(like most Unicorns)
  • Flame Control(Small, mainly used for Alchemic Purposes)
  • Small Illusion Spells
  • Sleep (More of a "Nap" considering duration)
  • Emit Light (From his horn)
  • "Feel" Magic
  • Self-Levitation (~2 hooves high maximum; Cannot do it very long)

Danton is also an expert in herb and plant identification as well as having knowledge of common poisons and diseases. Danton works on both forms of Alchemy: Alchemy's current definition(potion making) and "Traditional Alchemy" where Danton tries to create his opus magnum(Latin for "great work"). The 2 most commonly known Alchemical Opus Magnums are the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life. Danton's interest in Alchemy started when he found an old book on the subject hidden under floorboards of the orphanage. The book explained how to make potions and poisons, but it also explained the basics of what one does to create their "opus magnum".

While many may see the concept of meditation as useless and a waste of time, Danton knows better. While meditating, Danton's Magical abilities are enhanced as is mental capabilities and understanding of his surroundings. Some of Danton's abilities are only available while in meditation, such as Thought-Projection where he can mentally see a short distance away, such as around a corner. Besides magical benefits, meditation allows Danton to calm himself and let his troubles and worries subside. And as a side note, Danton occasionally receives visions while in meditation.

Danton rarely sees importance in emotional attachments. For example: If somepony lost their favorite amulet that was given to them by their, now departed, grandmother, Danton will see no good reason in risking his(or anypony elses) life for a "valueless trinket". Usually Danton acknowledges these requests by saying something like: "Give me a good [damn] reason, I should X".

Danton's manner of speaking is what many consider as odd. While he may usually speak "normal" he, on occasion, speaks with an elegant tone. This is likely due to, as a foal, reading books rather that forming social skills.

Where some would fear the dark and shadows, Danton embarrass it. When asked why he likes darkness, Danton responded with "It feels... good..." Danton usually falls short when he tries to explain why he likes the dark as it usually sounds like he harnessing power from the shadows.

Image of Danton

Danton_Pony_V1.1small.png

I know this app is a WIP but I have a few comments:

First off I just have to say I love the color scheme on Danton :)

Alchemy - Can you please explain what kind of alchemy you're talking about in this application? There are various definitions of alchemy used all over fiction ranging from high fantasy alchemy like you see in FMA to alchemy that could nearly be considered chemistry.

Origin - Can you please specify what city he was found in as a baby and what city he currently lives in?

Thanks!

I know this app is a WIP but I have a few comments:

First off I just have to say I love the color scheme on Danton :)

Alchemy - Can you please explain what kind of alchemy you're talking about in this application? There are various definitions of alchemy used all over fiction ranging from high fantasy alchemy like you see in FMA to alchemy that could nearly be considered chemistry.

Origin - Can you please specify what city he was found in as a baby and what city he currently lives in?

Thanks!

Color Scheme - Thanks!

Alchemy - He mostly works on the Alchemy that we think of today (thanks to MMOs and Video Games). You know, with potions that cure some thing, make somepony better at something(Stronger, Faster, etc.), and poisons. If you've ever player Elder Scrolls, think of it like that.

He also studies and does some work with what is known as "Traditional Alchemy". Where they are trying to create the "Philosopher's Stone" which is to be used to turn anything into Gold, or the Elixir of Life (Eternal Life).

Origin - I really didn't want to say it was the Ponyville Orphanage, as there may not be one (future episodes may contradict it's existence). And while I wanted to keep it a secret, I guess I'll let it be know he lives in an old, collapsed, stone building in the Everfree Forest.

I'll edit the Mane post after this post.

Color Scheme - Thanks!

Alchemy - He mostly works on the Alchemy that we think of today (thanks to MMOs and Video Games). You know, with potions that cure some thing, make somepony better at something(Stronger, Faster, etc.), and poisons. If you've ever player Elder Scrolls, think of it like that.

He also studies and does some work with what is known as "Traditional Alchemy". Where they are trying to create the "Philosopher's Stone" which is to be used to turn anything into Gold, or the Elixir of Life (Eternal Life).

Origin - I really didn't want to say it was the Ponyville Orphanage, as there may not be one (future episodes may contradict it's existence). And while I wanted to keep it a secret, I guess I'll let it be know he lives in an old, collapsed, stone building in the Everfree Forest.

I'll edit the Mane post after this post.

Alchemy - oooh I could see this fitting into Equestria, I'll have to run it by the other helpstaff :)

Please keep in mind that applications are meant to be a resource for yourself and for people who RP with your pony. Keeping things a secret in applications can make things a bit confusing or complicated when someone is trying to use this to help them interact with your pony. You could always say something like "He is very secretive about xxx but..." and go on to explain the full story so people know that they'll probably never know the information in character. Everything other ponies will learn as in character knowledge will happen through RP (or pre-existing relationships with other OC ponies) so people can't use the information here unless you tell them in character ^^

Hi there! I would like to say that this character seems very interesting and a cool character to RP. Just one real issue I see. The invisibility portion of his spell book seems a little, out of place. Invisibility is a powerful skill that would require massive amounts of both training and magical prowess. I struggled with this as well on a character that I created a while back. Sable here has the ability to use a "perception filter" that allows him to blend in with crowds but not become invisible. Invisibility, even for a short time, seems just a wee bit too powerful for a pony not to specialize only in that area of magic. Just my take on it though. Other than that the character seems interesting, especially with the old alchemy bordering on old chemistry, that is a very neat field! I can't wait to see where this character goes!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

Hi there! I would like to say that this character seems very interesting and a cool character to RP. Just one real issue I see. The invisibility portion of his spell book seems a little, out of place. Invisibility is a powerful skill that would require massive amounts of both training and magical prowess. I struggled with this as well on a character that I created a while back. Sable here has the ability to use a "perception filter" that allows him to blend in with crowds but not become invisible. Invisibility, even for a short time, seems just a wee bit too powerful for a pony not to specialize only in that area of magic. Just my take on it though. Other than that the character seems interesting, especially with the old alchemy bordering on old chemistry, that is a very neat field! I can't wait to see where this character goes!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

I agree that Invisability is a little too powerful. I was debating on whether add it or not and now I also see there is no true practical purpose for Danton to need it. I have removed it, and also clearified that Danton uses his minor Flame Control for Alchemy.

• 3 weeks later...

Proposed Change Log:

Chang Danton's Cutie Mark

Change Danton's Preview

Add more information on his Cutie Mark --- Really, no real change needed

Name Change(Cause I have to): Opacus Sol

Sol
is Latin for
Sun

Danton's Cutie Mark change is cosmetic, no real change in his personality or anything. However, the Cutie Mark is to change depending on what angle it is viewed from. --- Decided on single, non-changing Cutie mark.

In case you want to see his Preview click Link

Note: I will be using the Left one.

Edited by DantonDamnark

Since Danton is back in applications and we've updated the name rules for ponies in mane RP, I'm going to have to ask that his name be changed to fit the new rules. Thanks! :)

Name:

Your Character's name should go here.

Pony Related Characters:

If it's a Pony, the Pony needs to have a Pony-Related Name, generally having to do with their job, personality, quirks, or something to do with their talent or affinity. See the In-Depth Faq for more information on Names (Including two-parter names and surnames).

Suggested names that fit 'Black Sun' if you wanted to go Latin:

Atra Sol

Ebenus Sol

Opacus Sol

Phaeus Sol

Piceus Sol

Also, his cutie mark must remain constant once you have decided on what it is. During the course of his life, it cannot be changed. Because a cutie mark is not a hologram nor exhibits holographic-like properties, it otherwise can't share the similarities of appearing to appear or disappear like the Tasmanian Tiger (Who's stripes may do this on the tail as a trick of light and shadow). Once a cutie mark has been obtained, it's permanent. You can cover it up with make-up, or wear saddlebags or some kind of clothing to cover it if you so choose (Why you would want to, I don't know), but if you wish to change your cutie mark from what it was to something new, now would be the time to do it.

Suggested names that fit 'Black Sun' if you wanted to go Latin:

Atra Sol

Ebenus Sol

Opacus Sol

Phaeus Sol

Piceus Sol

Wow, I really appreciate you looking up these for me! After all, the Alchemy form of Black Sun could come off to some as "racist". It is: "sol niger".

I think I'll go with "Opacus Sol", it sounds more mysterious.

Also, his cutie mark must remain constant once you have decided on what it is. During the course of his life, it cannot be changed. Because a cutie mark is not a hologram nor exhibits holographic-like properties, it otherwise can't share the similarities of appearing to appear or disappear like the Tasmanian Tiger (Who's stripes may do this on the tail as a trick of light and shadow). Once a cutie mark has been obtained, it's permanent. You can cover it up with make-up, or wear saddlebags or some kind of clothing to cover it if you so choose (Why you would want to, I don't know), but if you wish to change your cutie mark from what it was to something new, now would be the time to do it.

Yes, yes. I understand. I have to remember that just because his Application must change does not mean his Story self does too. I'm referring to my Awkward Moments stories, in case you are wondering.

Anywho-diddly-doodle, I have decided on which of the two I will use.

Now, to update the "Proposed Change Log".

As you have chosen, make sure you update the title of the application and his name, and you can include "Danton" as a nickname. It might even be fun if you came up with something that explains it! :)

Doing so now. I was just waiting for acceptance from you Mods. As recommend by Tales