Derpy Hooves now canon.

Whitehawke

http://www.hasbro.com/common/assets/Flash/Creative/dad2af6e1c4311ddbd0b0800200c9a66/0f6b55af5056900b1013cd724a8d4018/assets/characters/MLP_CharW_DH_definitely_canon.swf

The above link is a file from a game on Hasbro's website that included Derpy. Notice the interesting filename at the end - "DH definitely canon." So there's a bit more to this.

I like Derpy's appearances where she's just doing goofy stuff in each episode. It's fun to try to spot her, and I like her to just be "that one pony." I wouldn't really want her to have a speaking role, and definitely not a plot-centric appearance. She's too much fun for all of our fan creations.

I wouldn't really want her to have a speaking role, and definitely not a plot-centric appearance. She's too much fun for all of our fan creations.

Dropping furniture on TS in Feeling Pinkie Keen is about the right amount of appearance. You know HD was directly involved, no words are necessary, and it fits rather seamlessly into the important part of the story without being a huge distraction.

Dropping furniture on TS in Feeling Pinkie Keen is about the right amount of appearance. You know HD was directly involved, no words are necessary, and it fits rather seamlessly into the important part of the story without being a huge distraction.

Oh yeah, that's my favorite Derpy moment. I like to imagine her as cute and clumsy like that.

I heard an interesting theory regarding her two names once, I don't remember how it went exactly but I think it was something like......Ditzy Do was actually Derpy's daughter and her father was Doctor Whooves...I'm not sure if that's entirely acuurate just putting it out there :P

Also, regarding her dropping all that stuff on Twilight in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" I think I know why they went with that. I heard somewhere that when Derpy was first spotted the fans put her in the role of a 'clumsy delivery pony' and I think the makers of the show where trying to reference that with her dropping that stuff on Twilight :D

Just something to consider I guess....:)

Also, regarding her dropping all that stuff on Twilight in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" I think I know why they went with that. I heard somewhere that when Derpy was first spotted the fans put her in the role of a 'clumsy delivery pony' and I think the makers of the show where trying to reference that with her dropping that stuff on Twilight :D

Just something to consider I guess....:)

No, the mail pony thing came from a previous scene, I think. Also:

The only thing the FiM animation team had the time to do concerning Derpy in Season 1 was to derp her eyes.

It was a complete coincidence that she was one of the delivery ponies in Feeling Pinkie Keen.

No, the mail pony thing came from a previous scene, I think. Also:

Actually, from what I understand, Derpy as a mail delivery pony came from a fanfic back in Season 1(and the fandom)'s early days. It caught on because it was touching/popular I guess.

It's ironic, considering this fanfic is possibly more influential than "Cupcakes", yet there seems to be no source for its title.

Actually, from what I understand, Derpy as a mail delivery pony came from a fanfic back in Season 1(and the fandom)'s early days. It caught on because it was touching/popular I guess.

It's ironic, considering this fanfic is possibly more influential than "Cupcakes", yet there seems to be no source for its title.

That is pathetically sad that Cupcakes is one of the most influential fanfics in the fandom.

Derpy as a mail delivery pony though is entirely "fannon". They never establish what she does in the show.

That is pathetically sad that Cupcakes is one of the most influential fanfics in the fandom.

Well, when a fanfic is so popular that some of the fans ask the producers of the show if they've read it, you've got something that's quite influential for newcomers and veterans of the fandom alike.

There's also all of the "alternate ending" fics it spawned. I think it's a whole sub-genre in of itself now ("Cupcakes" Spin-Off Fictions). I've read a few myself, despite never reading the actual fiction that spawned them.

What I personally can't understand is how the thing turned out to be so popular (mostly pre-Party of One). From what I've heard it's not very well written, and despite all the praise it got for keeping the characters in their personalities, it doesn't change the fact Pinkie/Applebloom aren't murderers.

My headcanon to its burst of popularity is that it was written when the most popular characters were Pinkie and Dash, and as such they were also the most shipped as well (due to Griffon the Brush-off's made-up lesbian undertones). The fiction apparently reads like a shipping story before the grimdark stuff, so it was the kind of thing that users would link to on other boards/topics to "trap" other people who were into the pairing and not aware of the fiction yet. The content was so shocking at the time that some of these users would then create "alternate endings" to it. Presumably this is thanks to the fiction's "in-character" interpretation of Pinkie, since many people would speak of how they "actually believed its something Pinkie would do".

Whether this is something you agree or not, it further promoted the original's popularity.

Since it was written sometime in January, it was easy to spread it among the booming fandom.

It then spread even more when Party of One came out.

Ironically enough, before that episode, "Cupcakes" Pinkie was always shown with her poofy mane. But because the introverted "Pinkamena" had a flat mane style, it immediately started being interpreted as the "Cupcakes" version of Pinkie Pie, despite the fact it's just supposed to be her in a depressed, anti-social tone. This is PROBABLY because sheer fate would have Rainbow Dash be the one to drag her out of Sugarcube Corner in that episode, it might not have been so misinterpreted if it where Applejack or Rarity to have been the ones to ask her to come to the farm.

But I guess I'm just ranting at this point, there were many Dinky/Derpy fictions back then that were touching, and despite the surviving fanon of them being related, these are not specifically remembered due to their vast numbers. The surviving fanon here is that Pinkamena is the "serial killer" version of Pinkie Pie, it's just that the only fiction that comes to mind to most of the fandom when mentioning that is "Cupcakes". It's basically a scapegoat at this point.

Don't forget that Rainbow Dash referred to a "Ditzy Doo" during Winter Wrap Up, though it's nice to see them settle on the official fanon name. I might also suggest that the creative powers-that-be between Facebook and the actual writers for the show may not be connected or in any sort of creative contact whatsoever, so we could still see more from either a Derpy or Ditzy in time to come.

As far as Cupcakes goes, I have read it, and I found it more ridiculous than offensive. Its reputation and viral nature both stem from where it was originally posted. Since FiM is an extremely meme rich culture with a propensity to produce new memes (almost weekly!), it makes sense that it garnered such a strong reaction and became a part of the community's "dark side."

Don't forget that Rainbow Dash referred to a "Ditzy Doo" during Winter Wrap Up, though it's nice to see them settle on the official fanon name. I might also suggest that the creative powers-that-be between Facebook and the actual writers for the show may not be connected or in any sort of creative contact whatsoever, so we could still see more from either a Derpy or Ditzy in time to come.

I remember that, but I had never assumed it was referring to Derpy. It fits the character we have created for her, but it still could have been anyone.

Yes, I agree -- actually, it'd be kind of cool if there was a Ditzy Doo on top of a Derpy. This fanon/canon ambiguity is nothing new -- take a look at the official Hasbro names for the secondary/background ponies. Berry Punch/ Berry Shine, etc.../shudder

• 4 weeks later...

You might or might not know that I stuck to the name Ditzy Doo as long as possible. For me, her name was to remain Ditzy Doo unless she would actually be called by another name on screen in the show itself. That note in the original post didn't change my mind because canon is what happens in the show only.

Now, however, that she has been called "Derpy" by Rainbow Dash in an actual episode, even I shall accept this name as canon. Here's hoping that some more background ponies will be called by their fan names. At least not by their blind bag toy names given by Hasbro.

As for who is behind the name Ditzy Doo then, I say it's her purple-maned colour swap who flies with the many birds in Winter Wrap Up.

Honestly, I love how Studio B and the team catered to our taste as bronies. It truly shows how much

we've had an impact on the series, and how much the series has impacted us. I almost fell out of

my chair when Rainbow Dash said "derpy."

The only problem I have with this though is people's reactions to it. I mean, I don't generally see it

here, but I've seen a lot of tumblr flame wars and youtube comments that whine about things like her

voice, and has even gone to address autism and mental retardation. If this is what fanservice

results in, I sometimes wish that Studio B wouldn't grant our wishes, in fear the internet would be

torn piece by piece. A lot of people have been arguing that they clearly animated her and voiced her

to stereotype her as somepony who looks dumb and acts dumb.

I, personally, didn't have any problems with this change. She sounds sort of tom-boyish, like Rainbow

Dash, and a little "hurp"-y at the same time. I hope we see more of her, now that she's been addressed

officially.

I think the vast majority has been overwhelmingly positive about Derpy's character. What we have is a very vocal minority trying to dictate the pace of things. Over time they will fade into the background that Derpy once inhabited.

There's nothing wrong with the way they did the character - loveable and humorous

Wouldn't Derpy have trouble with Depth Perception due to being wall-eyed? Derpy says that we love someone regardless of their flaws - how is that possibly a negative message in any way possible? Some people just enjoy trolling.

Also - Is Derpy made of Nokia-ium? Derpy has been shown to be the only force in the known universe that can break a Nokia - and when Derpy sat down in the scene she crashed through the floor. I propose that Derpy is made of the same material as the Nokia Adamantium Vibranium Phone.

Somepony draw Derpy butt bumping Superman and sending him flying lol :D

Honestly, I love how Studio B and the team catered to our taste as bronies. It truly shows how much

we've had an impact on the series, and how much the series has impacted us. I almost fell out of

my chair when Rainbow Dash said "derpy."

The only problem I have with this though is people's reactions to it. I mean, I don't generally see it

here, but I've seen a lot of tumblr flame wars and youtube comments that whine about things like her

voice, and has even gone to address autism and mental retardation. If this is what fanservice

results in, I sometimes wish that Studio B wouldn't grant our wishes, in fear the internet would be

torn piece by piece. A lot of people have been arguing that they clearly animated her and voiced her

to stereotype her as somepony who looks dumb and acts dumb.

I, personally, didn't have any problems with this change. She sounds sort of tom-boyish, like Rainbow

Dash, and a little "hurp"-y at the same time. I hope we see more of her, now that she's been addressed

officially.

Yeah I would ignore all the whiny Youtube comments, because the comment sections in Youtube is the bottle of the barrel of stupid in the deepest pit of idiocy in the Internet.

That is always the problem though, when something like this is added to the show for the fans; there will always be that group that will howl and wail so they can get attention because the character wasn't the same as their personal ideal.

Personally I would have done it differently by not having her speak or be named, but the rest of the scene I would have kept. What is done, is done though.