Your word use.

Starfox64x

Have you caught yourself using certain words often? not like basic words, specialty words...

I'm sure you're still confused, so let me tell you mine... I notice i use 'however' a lot... whenever i find something contradictory i use it... "I like Chocolate Bars, however i hate dark chocolate" or something... i notice myself using it a lot.

Then i use 'more so' a good bit as well... I usually spell it 'moreso', even though i know it's suppose to be two words...

I dunno, its just a thought that came to mind and i'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same about themselves...

A few years ago, I learned that words like "very" "extremely" do not actually add meaning to your writing. My usage of them was high.

I might have said in the past "In my opinion, Fall Weather Friends is the very best episode" for example.

I have been very conscious of removing these words from my vocabulary of late.

Other subtractions are things like "In my opinion", which also adds nothing to anything subjective since it is obvious that it is a preference.

I use thus more than anyone else

I love "thus"! "Therefore" as well.

My catchphrase was "really?" until people started pointing it out. I had no idea I was doing it, and though I liked it, I naturally stopped because I became self conscious of it.

Though I do not type it often, verbally I use "Indeed" as my go to affirmative answer.

ah, I start a lot of my sentences with "ah". same with "mm".

I end a lot of my sentences with "and stuff and such" or just "and such"

I also use the word "also" too much

"thingermajinger" is another word I use a lot in real life

I also make weird purring sounds in real life

Guest HipsterRarity

ah, I start a lot of my sentences with "ah". same with "mm".

I end a lot of my sentences with "and stuff and such" or just "and such"

I also use the word "also" too much

I also make weird purring sounds in real life

I smiled until the purring, then I laughed. That's charming.

• Like 1

Oh we're talking about mad-up words too? When somone says something I didnt hear I restand "whadawhadawhoha?"

I use "lol" way too much on the 'net, I tend to use it as a punctuation mark to mean "this is funny" or "this is a joke" or "this is not serious" which means it gets used a LOT since I tend to be funny a lot

I find myself using "cool" after many years or fighting it. I'm not big on slang, and for the longest time refused to use it. Likewise "Awesome" gets too much use.

And as of late I find myself using the words "Rainbow" and "Dash" WAY too often in the same sentance ;)

Online only, I seem to use "lol" and "hehe" almost like punctuation. I really need to stop that, or at least find something that adequately expresses "I got your message but don't really have anything to say on the matter."

For a while, I thought "ack" for "acknowledged" was about to catch on. It would have given you a three letter way to confirm without needing to say anything else. You will notice that this usage has a presence on urban dictionary, but most of the time that I tried it, confusion was created and the efficiency was lost.

oh, another thing I do a lot is say obliviously, but I use it wrong. you know how when people take forever to get something, then somebody says "obviously". I like to say "obliviously" instead just to sound stupid :P

I also use the word awesome a lot. I used to hate that word, but now I use it all the time.

when I loose my train of thought, I start repeating the phrase "and then" over and over without realizing it until the fourth or fifth repetition

I also use the word awesome a lot. I used to hate that word, but now I use it all the time.

I went through an "awesome" phase, until I was using it often for things that were not particularly awe inspiring. I try not to use it unless I am suitably amazed.

Through persistent and deliberate training, I have changed it to "good".

It has however escaped the "awesome" slot and is now used by me in place of other phrases and words like "ok" "will do"

I've caught myself using it 4-5 times in a 10 minute time slot, but I am ok with that because it is better than flinging "awesome" around all willy-nilly.

I'm sure everyone has these kinds of words that they repeat endlessly, but since nopony's pointed mine out to me, I can't think of what it might be. I try to keep my vocabulary relatively mixed up. Once, during spoken conversation, I realised I'd been replying with "Well, yes." quite a lot, just because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Ooh, actually, I say 'I suppose' and 'I don't suppose' quite a bit.

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one who's noticed this about themselves =3

I've also noticed i actually say 'okey dokey loki" a bit now... Thanks Pinkie...

I also say 'dude' when i'm talking to people... usually at the beginning of sentences, "Dude can you grab that for me?" "Hey dude, whats up?"... I'm the whitest person i know, hehe...

Thingamadooglelabob (Thing-a-ma-doo-gull-la-bob) is also something i do... dont know why or how... just do...

I also say No Problem very often... my manager is trying to get me to stop saying that to customers... apparently it's in the handbook, the CEO hates it. apparently when he was a waiter somewhere as a kid, he said it to a customer and the customer replied "Why would it ever be a problem?" and apparently that messed with his head, so now he hates it.

I have an unfortunate tendency to abuse the word "apparently". Also, I say "thusly" in place of thus, and apparently it isn't a real word. Feels like it ought to be though, doesn't it?