Inspiration?

Imagination

I received a very touching thank you letter today from an Eagle Scout, telling me about how he looked up to me when he was little and how I was a big inspiration for him to strive to be the best he could be. It reminded me of the people who inspire me to do what I do and help get through the challenges that came before me.

So I actually want to know what inspires you, Canterlot? People, quotes, historical events? What gives you the will to pursue your dreams?

• Like 1

I could say thousands upon thousands of things, but each point of light would eventually be traceable back to the Necessary Cause, Almighty God.

With the initial religious overtures out of the way, mainly (and in no particular order) Spiderman, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, William Blake, Edgar Allen Poe, Albert Einstein, Blaise Pascal, Blessed Pope John Paul II, Joshua, Elijah, Saint Joseph, the Virgin Mary, Saint Francis of Assissi, Saint Thomas Aquinas, Saint Thomas Moore, Saint Peter, my grandfather and his son (who brought me Tolkien and Lewis and Spiderman and Brooks), Terry Brooks, assorted priests and other clergy I have the honor of knowing personally, and the list goes on da-da-dump-da-dump-da-da

Edit: GASP. I FORGOT CHARLES DARWIN AND DR. ROBERT T. BAKKER.

• Like 1

ah, this has always been a hard question for me to answer...

I'd have to say everything. the fact that things exist and that there are things that I don't know exist. I don't really know how else to explain it. something like "don't give up, there's still more to explore" type of something or other.

knowing that there's still more I don't know.

I received a very touching thank you letter today...

Philosophy...

I could say thousands upon thousands of things, but each point of light would eventually be traceable back to the Necessary Cause, Almighty God.

...everything. the fact that things exist and that there are things that I don't know exist. I don't really know how else to explain it. something like "don't give up, there's still more to explore"...

Music...

Alright, I've never quoted an entire thread before. I agree with you all. Inspiration is an interesting thing because not only can it come from anywhere, it frequently comes from where you least expect it. Creativity in one field is often the results of study in a completely different one. The following is the oddest example that I have and one of my favorite memories...

---

Back when I took voice lessons, I was given a cassette tape and recorder so I could audition for an upcoming solo. One side had the song, and the other side was blank. After singing along with the song a few times, I recorded myself. Then for whatever reason, I fast-forwarded to the end so I could switch sides and listen to the song again. When it had been over for 10 seconds or so, I stopped it. Then for whatever reason, I recorded a short note to my teacher thanking her for the hard work she put into the class and then promptly forgot about it.

A week later or so I saw her again and she told me with tears in her eyes that after listening to my singing, she had let the tape play to the end, auto switch to the other side, listened to the whole song and let it keep going long enough to hear my message. She didn't do this for any of the other auditions. Apparently she had had a rough week and was feeling depressed until she heard my message.

I think it is possible that I was the most inspired person that day. It was a spiritual experience for me.

• Like 1

It might sound a little cliche, but I always use my father as a prime example for how I should approach my life.

Coming from a blood-stained country, my father has been through a lot. I respect him for being the honest and hard-working person that he is now, and I'm always inspired by his stories of conflict and travels and all the strange things he's been through.

But no, I don't enjoy the weird food he tries to get me to eat from the home country. :P

On a side note, there are some that inspire me, but to a small scale, really.

My primary personal influences in life are Tove Jansson, Jim Henson, Kenzo from Studio Uoo, Robert Pollard and Hayao Miyazaki.

This all leads up to: Don't grow up, EVER. Enjoy the world and don't take anything too seriously, but do try to create small pockets of beauty and wonder for others while you're here. Preferably involving acorns and robots.