daily gallery upload limit? (suggestion)

Angie Cakes

Ah, I was thinking that maybe there should be a limit to how many images we're allowed to upload to the gallery per day. I was talking to some other people, and they all seem to agree that this would be a good idea.

When you upload an image to the gallery, after it gets pushed off the recent gallery images bar on the front page, it hardly ever gets any more views or comments. Every so often somebody will come along and dump a huge pile of their own work into the gallery and it knocks everybody else's work off the bar, and that hardly seems fair to the people who've only had their work up there for a day or maybe even a few hours. I was thinking maybe a limit of three or four uploads a day per person would be reasonable.

I don't know how hard it would be to do something like this, but if it's simple enough, maybe it's something to consider :)

The gallery bar is one of the first things I saw when I found this site. All of the images were from the same person and not very...pleasing to look at. I almost left right then, to never return.

Would anyone be annoyed by a one-per-day limit? If you come up with 15 drawings in a day, could you not be happy with best of them?

The gallery bar is one of the first things I saw when I found this site. All of the images were from the same person and not very...pleasing to look at. I almost left right then, to never return.

Would anyone be annoyed by a one-per-day limit? If you come up with 15 drawings in a day, could you not be happy with best of them?

This seems like a good idea to me, as I share the feelings of those who's posted here thus far.

Either that, or Davroth's idea, as it's practically the same in terms of what's seen on the top bar. Either way, hope there's a way to fix this :I

Even better might be a note, and no limit, and see if that solves the problem.

Something like:

"Consider uploading only a single picture per day to allow your fellow artists more time on the front page."

No additional coding or rules required.

• Like 1

People will kindly ignore that. Also, there are many legit reasons to upload more then one picture at a time. Maybe you want to show it to someone. Maybe it's for an application. Maybe it's part of a gift, or an art trade. Maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

The point is, they don't all have to show up in the top bar at once necessarily.

• Like 1

No, I don't think it will. The way the gallery is set up, you can effortlessly several pictures at once, as a bulk. Unless that option is disabled, people will just continue to slap all of their backlog of pictures into the gallery, because it's just so convenient, compared to upload one picture, wait for 3 hours, then upload another picture.

I have no gripe with people uploading a bulk of pictures at a time. Heck, I did it myself, with Christmas gifts I did, or when I wanted an opinion on variations on a single picture. They wouldn't all have to be in the top bar, though.

Hello ponies.

The official verdict below:

* I'm afraid it's not possible (or feasible) to restrict everyone's uploads.

* Adding text stating "upload x at a time" won't work. (might work if, board wide, the rules were followed in the first place)

* I've no clue how where to start to modify the hook to take only the latest upload from each recently uploading member's gallery, in a dynamically changing (members can create/remove/modify galleries) environment.

However;

I'm going to be making some changes to the hook (the thing that displays the latest uploads).

It will become wider (and prettier) to show more images at one time without scrolling.

Options;

I can simply make it simply show random images , but I think people like to see what's new.

You can go here to see which galleries/albums have been updated and see as many as 30 recent uploads on the right.

Yeah, it can look a bit dreary when you log in and there're 10 images where some poor sod scribbled some faint lines on RULED PAPER!?! (I may ban the use of ruled paper being uploaded!!!) taken on a mobile phone camera in poor lighting. But, content seems to be uploaded quite regularly so the 'look' of the hook won't be like that for long.

• Like 1