So many closed/private topics...

Ashton

I just look through the RP boards for someplace to drop my unsuspecting characters and nearly every thread I see is marked "closed" or "Private" I understand that people want to RP with specific people (I have 1 in crossovers that's private) but it's getting where I can hardly find any topics that are open...

Not entirely sure where I was going with this other than to the Drama Couch, but... yeah... any chance maybe we can keep more of these in the "Private RP" area instead of clogging up the main boards with them or something? I'm sure there are others like me who are equally annoyed that they cant find any open RPs for all the private ones...

Some of them are closed because a lot of people dropped into the RP already. Having more than 4 people imho is hard to monitor especially if you're the RP starter. I just do it so I don't get swamped. It's initially open but as people drop in, I need to close it so we don't get too crowded in the RP.

• Like 1

Oh I'm not denying that, I really dont like having more than 4 people in a thread myself (unless I'm specifically acting purely as the DM and have _NO_ characters in there so I can just skim most IC chatter that's not related to the plot) I'll be changing our RP to closed when Steel joins (provided their character is approved in time)

I see so many though that START as "private" or "closed" which is annoying because it takes me forever to find one to join... Poor Hale is stuck in the void untill I can find an open one, likely same will happen when I finally finish figuring out the unicorn I'm going to make (1 of each 'race' for maximum compatability - might even make a griffen but it's unlikely since there are so few griffen RPs) I'm reluctant to start threads because in the past most of mine always sat empty (Though so far I'm 4/5 here, so maybe the same 'rules' dont apply)

I jsut wish that if somone were going to START an RP as private they would put it in the private forum and/or there was a way to filter out all the "private" and "closed" RPs...

Oh I'm not denying that, I really dont like having more than 4 people in a thread myself (unless I'm specifically acting purely as the DM and have _NO_ characters in there so I can just skim most IC chatter that's not related to the plot) I'll be changing our RP to closed when Steel joins (provided their character is approved in time)

I see so many though that START as "private" or "closed" which is annoying because it takes me forever to find one to join... Poor Hale is stuck in the void untill I can find an open one, likely same will happen when I finally finish figuring out the unicorn I'm going to make (1 of each 'race' for maximum compatability - might even make a griffen but it's unlikely since there are so few griffen RPs) I'm reluctant to start threads because in the past most of mine always sat empty (Though so far I'm 4/5 here, so maybe the same 'rules' dont apply)

I jsut wish that if somone were going to START an RP as private they would put it in the private forum and/or there was a way to filter out all the "private" and "closed" RPs...

he kinda has a point; if you already have a pre determined group of players and plot you should be in the private section

Well I for one don't start Private RPs, heck I only have one Private RP that I had to make because we had to continue a Chat RP that I started that was promising. The whole point is, there are people who like stuff closed and some like them open. I think the reason why some put pre-determined RPs in the Mane RP is because they feel it becomes canon in their own way. It's something players can go back to saying, this happened to my OC in the world of Equestria so its canon!

And of course a lot of people would specifically want to RP with some distinct people prolly because of their interesting OCs or the way they just RP. But meh, that's just what I think.

You could use the search function and do an advanced one where you only search for the word Open and only in RP forums.

I never thought of that... *facehoof*

he kinda has a point; if you already have a pre determined group of players and plot you should be in the private section

Thank you, somone fully understands what I'm talking about :)

Well I for one don't start Private RPs, heck I only have one Private RP that I had to make because we had to continue a Chat RP that I started that was promising. The whole point is, there are people who like stuff closed and some like them open. I think the reason why some put pre-determined RPs in the Mane RP is because they feel it becomes canon in their own way. It's something players can go back to saying, this happened to my OC in the world of Equestria so its canon!

And of course a lot of people would specifically want to RP with some distinct people prolly because of their interesting OCs or the way they just RP. But meh, that's just what I think.

I'm not complaining about there *being* private RPs, just that they're peppered in with the open ones in the main forums. I kinda understand the "if it happens on a main board it's canon" but at the same time, how many people are going to want to go back and read the thread to make sure? (though that's just my opinion)

Set an example by starting your own open RP sessions.

Yes, sir! I'm doing just that, sir! I've only had 1/5 that was private (because it was a continuation of a RP that I was having with someone over Minecraft) I try my best not to be a hippocrit and to practice what I preach! :)

You could use the search function and do an advanced one where you only search for the word Open and only in RP forums.

How does that work? des it search titles or that new list of keywords we're supposed to add? (and how does that keyword thing work on threads that already existed before the new search system?)

How does that work? des it search titles or that new list of keywords we're supposed to add? (and how does that keyword thing work on threads that already existed before the new search system?)

Up on the right corner next to the search button (the magnifying glass) there a cog looking thing. Click that, you get to advanced search. For 'Find words', type what you are looking for (in this case, 'Open'). Under that is 'Match', so in this case you would select from the second drop down menu to 'Only search in titles'.

Scoll down to the 'Find in forum', and select the Roleplay areas you want to search in by holding down the Ctrl key. There are other options you can fiddle with like 'Find by date' and 'Result sorting'.