(Buffalo) Lightning Horn (final)

Boss_Hoss1

Name: Lightning Horn

Sex: male

Species: Buffalo

Pelt Color: tan

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: black horns, wooly tan hide and cream underbelly. Mystic tribal markings painted on his cheeks and flanks.

Eye Color: One of the signs of his Shaman heritage is his heterochromia; right brown, left blue.

Cutie Mark: None, the tribal lightning bolts are painted on.

Physique: Front heavy and muscular, currently more like a shaggy bull than a buffalo until he gets his full adult growth.

Origin: Appleoosa

Roleplay Type: Mane

Motivation: Working to ensure Ponies and Buffalo live in harmony, and to improve his shaman abilities

Likes: (optional) Being treated with respect, friendly ponies, earth magic, pony technology. Dislikes: (optional) Disrespectful or dismissive ponies, not too fond of griffons either. ;-)

Character Summary: The son of the Appaloosa Buffalo herd's shaman, Rolling Thunder, Lightning Horn is expected to eventualy take his father's role in the future.

Because his father feels he is too easy-going, and says so often, he is increasingly worried he might not be able to do as well as his father and hopes his mission to work with the ponies will give him some insight and perspective on if he is truely worthy of continuing his family legacy. In hopes of making him a bold and daring buffalo, as well as finding out more about Earth pony magic in food growing, his father has agreed to let him go to Appleoosa.

In the meantime, he is studying hard at the arts of communing with the ancestors and being a source of spiritual guidance for members of the herd, herbalisim and healing arts in the same manner the zebras do, using the plants and some minerals of the desert in medicines and minor potions and other shaman skills based on the desert. He is currently able to find water and navigate in the desert, day or night.

One day he hopes to learn his father serets in how to make land stable for stampedes or to make it slipery and dangerous for invaders such as Diamond Dogs or other menaces

Curious about the ponies and their use of earth magic to make food grow, Lightning agreed when his father asked him to act as a go-between agreed to let him visit and study the ponies and promote goodwill between the two "herds" to prevent more "misunderstandings". He has since discovered and become infatuated with pony machines and devices, since they seem like magic to him, with many even running on magic.

How is this Application coming along?

Not trying to put words into BossHoss's mouth, I think he maybe waiting to see what happens with my app for ThunderClap.

The ORIGINAL plan we had was for our two buffalo to work 'as a team' in Appleoosa, but since my app (for lack of a better term) has 'gone south', this puts the entire concept in jeopardy.

No offense to anyone, but that's the story.

:D:D:D

Could I have some input from the mods on the ideas about what shamans can or cannot do (even if he's not up to it yet)

I figure from Zecora's abilities, all herd animals from "wild" areas have a shaman or similar if they have a Chieftan in charge of the herd.

Well, we haven't seen a whole lot of magic coming from the Buffalo... how about researching some traditional Indian shamans and see what you find out? However, I'll still bring it up with the rest of the staff and get their opinions as well.

Thanks, I have Irish and native american on one side of my family and German and native american on the other, both sides were at the great grandparent level so I've had some interest in checking such things out. :)

For us humans, the Medicine men were the doctors and the spiritual leaders of a tribe, using herbalisim and ritual magic for healing, blessings, and curses (poisoning?) as well as communing with the spirits to find answers for the tribe. Some of the magic purported to be spells of protection, keeping arrows or bullets from hitting the warrior wearing a medicine pouch enchanted with such. (It seemed while it did not work as advertised, it gave the braves confidence and certainty that probably unnerved the people they fought. )

There seem to be common themes in shamanistic magic whether native amercan, celtic, or other tribal magics, so I'm trying to extrapolate from what we have seen Zecora do in the series, on a world where magic works without wandering into things that would mess with game balance. I figure herbalisim and some nature magic that buffalos would find useful while being concentrated in one or two members of the tribe would be a good balance compared against unicorns.

I am willing to go along with whatever the mods suggest. :)

Mmm, I don't see Shamans as a problem, Zecora practically is one. The only thing is what the shaman does, how they do it, and what their focus is. How powerful they are, or what their magic is used for. Primarily Shamans were to do with healing and promoting good health. Abbie talks about the stuff that Zecora does, and that's really key to the way shamans should operate, if anything. Of course, there are many different types of shamans. Rain forest shamans, desert shamans, Native American Shamans, just to name a few, all of them have similar concepts behind what they did, but all of them did it differently. So we'd need to know exactly what kind of shaman you had in mind.

Reading this the only part I feel is missing is that we have very little insight into his personality. We understand his purpose in life, his desire and fascinations, but but I don't know what he is like personality wise. Aggressive? Passive? Bold? Flighty? I would like to hear more what kind of Buffalo he is; I feel this would go a long way towards establish him as a solid character so to more easily form a solid base to write RP around since you know what kind of reaction he generally have to any given situation.

Eye Color: bi eyed; right brown, left blue

Just an FYI, this is called Heterochromia.