Video editing software

MyLittlePonyTales

I am looking to get some video editing software. I want to make AMVs, PMVs, and the like. I don't need a whole lot of fancy-pants additions and features, just something basic that will export the video clearly, hopefully won't crash often, and is, for the most part, inexpensive. Suggestions?

*tags onto thread*

I want one too x: sony vegas was the best I could find at an affordable price, but as far as I know, it won't work on a mac (which is what I use)

also tales, maybe look into sony vegas. I hear it's good :3

If you want something cheap that is better then microsoft live video maker perhaps a install of Linux is good for you and the application called Kdenlive does work pretty well despite some instability (yes it does crash now and then but its a lot better then it was)

To install linux I highly suggest WUBI for beginners as it will install like a windows application

http://www.ubuntu.co...ndows-installer

Do be warned that linux is an operating system not a simple program so it will use some room, also kdenlive in ubuntu is a little wonky so if you need help do ask.

I personally say this is the best alternative as of now as none of the video editors on windows are cheap or any good unless you use sony vegas and that can cost up to $600.

Heck with that kind of money you might as well buy a mac where imovie is clearly much better then microsoft live movie maker.

I say the worst part of Kdenlive is that it does crash but it does offer some recovery options.

Another good linux app that you may be interested in is openshot, openshot is far more stable then kdenlive but I say kdenlive is slightly better if you want to use overlaying text and such.

Sony Vegas would be your choice but its a bit pricey. It's easy to pick up on and more affordable than Adobe After Effects. It's got one of the most versatile rendering options. I've been using this for years. Though the earlier versions are a bit off, the latest one Vegas Pro 11 has really ramped it up a notch.

Windows Movie Maker (on Windows 7) does a decent job for editing if you want something free that's accessible and simple to use. The free ones of note are Avidemux and VirtualDub. They're free and can export your videos to high quality but may require learning a few stuff.

I'd reccomend Adobe After Effects - it can do EVERYTHING you could possibly want, but it is rather pricey (though you might find an older version for sale on eBay) Though depending on what all you want to do, you might look into FLASH.

Are you kidding me, seriously?

Windows live movie maker is a terrible program for making vids, I rather have someone spend $200 for after effects

Windows Live Movie Maker is an excellent program for beginners to use, and it is a very simple interface. The program supports HD video, and up to 320kbps audio, and 1920x1080 resolution (or higher) so it is great for simple editing, image collages, and anything else you don't require special plugins for. Windows 7 can open MPEG video files too, so for most HD videos, you do not even need a codec. Before getting Sony Vegas Pro 11, Windows Live Movie Maker was my best friend.

If you bought a cheap $250 Netbook, then Live Movie Maker is excellent for simple Facebook videos, or videos you captured wit ha webcam and upload to Youtube or the like. Don't go hating free software that does a moderately good job. However, by no means would I recommend buying a Windows PC JUST for Live Movie Maker.

On to your question, Tales.

Really, it's up to you. We could list a lot of options, but we would need more details. However, to skip over any details, and go right to the core, I recommend Sony Vegas Pro 11. The program is inexpensive IF you can make money with it, and if you can't, then you can do the 30 day trial. I won my copy in a writing contest though, so I didn't have to pay for it. However, I would in a heart beat if it came to that. The program is very deep, and very user friendly. Do you want simple music and video? Done. Zooms, panning, aspect ratio changes? Done. Lens Flare, color correction, shaking camera? Done. If you only need a simple software for editing videos and putting music on top of it, use Windows Live movie Maker, or iMovie, whatever you've got. Otherwise, I'd suggest buying Sony Vegas Pro 11 for ANYTHING other than simple editing ,as if you decide to make better, tougher to make movies, you've got your copy, forever. I'm not exactly sure of the pricing on it, as their website doesn't want to load for me. HOWEVER, I have seen Sony Vegas Pro 10 on ebay for $200-300. So you could snag a copy relatively cheap.

I'm trying to use Sony Vegas right now, but it's expensive... So far it looks really neat! i'm still playing with it though.

however if you're looking for free, Camstasia isnt half bad. and it's FREE! =D It's got everything you need to make some pretty good PMVs. i could help you get started if you want.

*tags onto thread*

I want one too x: sony vegas was the best I could find at an affordable price, but as far as I know, it won't work on a mac (which is what I use)

also tales, maybe look into sony vegas. I hear it's good :3

I have heard good things about it as well. I also see it's $600. :roll::/

Windows Movie Maker (on Windows 7) does a decent job for editing if you want something free that's accessible and simple to use. The free ones of note are Avidemux and VirtualDub. They're free and can export your videos to high quality but may require learning a few stuff.

I use Windows Movie Maker for Vista (although I have the Windows 7 version as well), and it keeps messing up the quality. The tools available are good enough, it's just the quality that is lacking.

Wow... if your looking at dropping $600 I'd certainly reccomend going to Adobe After Effects... x_x a quick eBay search shows AE going for anywhere from $200-$500 on average.

Windows Live Movie Maker is an excellent program for beginners to use, and it is a very simple interface. The program supports HD video, and up to 320kbps audio, and 1920x1080 resolution (or higher) so it is great for simple editing, image collages, and anything else you don't require special plugins for. Windows 7 can open MPEG video files too, so for most HD videos, you do not even need a codec. Before getting Sony Vegas Pro 11, Windows Live Movie Maker was my best friend.

If you bought a cheap $250 Netbook, then Live Movie Maker is excellent for simple Facebook videos, or videos you captured wit ha webcam and upload to Youtube or the like. Don't go hating free software that does a moderately good job. However, by no means would I recommend buying a Windows PC JUST for Live Movie Maker.

Sorry but I personally really hate windows live movie maker, it has a terrible convoluted interface and does a terrible job at taking a full size video down to where you need it.

Trust me I have used it and it totally sucks IMHO

I have heard good things about it as well. I also see it's $600. :/:roll:

oi gee, is it actually? XD I haven't looked into it in over a year. I forgot that my budget at the time was less than $1000 :P