Canon death

Starfox64x

Oh look, more Gilda hate.

I second it. Gilda's not "evil" or she would have done a lot more than just fling some insults and walk out. While she's certainly not my favorite, I dont think she deserves to *DIE*... (though I wouldnt mind seeing rainbow kick her plot good for what she did...)

I second it. Gilda's not "evil" or she would have done a lot more than just fling some insults and walk out. While she's certainly not my favorite, I dont think she deserves to *DIE*... (though I wouldnt mind seeing rainbow kick her plot good for what she did...)

I didn't really like Gilda as a character, but like the other series antagonists (Trixie), she served her role well enough. If you really dislike Gilda, I should point you to a certain fanfic that's near and dear to me. I shouldn't have to say which one. :smirk:

I didn't really like Gilda as a character, but like the other series antagonists (Trixie), she served her role well enough. If you really dislike Gilda, I should point you to a certain fanfic that's near and dear to me. I shouldn't have to say which one. :smirk:

Name/Link? (If it's not appropriate to post, can you PM the link to me?) I'd like to see a sympathetic take on Gilda, personally I see her as exactly what Dash would be had certain events not happened in the technicolor pony's past...

Jeez people I love gilda she super cool! LIES ALL LIES no no I just hated her when she was mean I seriosly felt actul real hate I say she would be better as a background pony/griffon.Actull Gilda is going to be in my background six fanfic where there is an epic battle between her and RD.NOTE ABOUT THAT:It will not appear here though because of ovious blood and gore.Oh and it's going to be more about the backgroun ponies planning background to the backgrounds.

Okay sorry for the rant.Noponys gonna die fluttershy will probably have some pet that a filly wants and the filly leaves town never to come back (she was visiting a relative) and Fluttershy just has to *puts sunglasses on* deal with it

I think if someone is going to die then... only season 3 villian(if we will have one) might die due of gravity. Expect that if we will make characters killable then, only Granny Smith for aesop, with might be quite strong (but at least as natural, merciful death) and as a plot for episode.

I dont think anyone DESERVES to-wait, Gilda, yeah, DEFINITELY Gilda, no remorse whatsoever... serve her up at Thanksgiving... Or the Grateful Lunch, whatever they decide to call it...

....There is something wrong with you.

Anyhow, I don't see any reason for the show to actually venture into the avenue of mortality and the ending thereof. It serves no real purpose in a show for little girls. Almost no childrens no with this sort of target audience has -ever- dealt with the permanent, focused-upon death of a character. Heck, the only show I can think of that happening was sesame street, back in the early 80s when Mr. Hooper's actor, Will Lee, died, and even that caused a bit of an uproar from parents.

I don't see any reason for colourful pastel ponies to have to tackle this issue in any way; furthermore, the idea of one of the mane cast dying seems completely ridiculous - Hasbro wouldn't have any way of marketing it, the writers would have to come up with and introduce somepony new to fill that character's place, one of the voice actresses (or actors, on the offchance that the deceased is one of the few male characters) would have to come up with a new voice... and for what? MLP has never really been about education, less so now that the letters to Celestia aren't part of the show.

There's no logical reason for them to do this, at all.

I'd say IF this were to come up, and I agree with Halide that it probably wouldn't, it would be in a movie, assuming they make one. Movies tend to tackle themes a little heavier than cartoons, and children's movies DO have a history of dealing with death.

Still, pastel ponies. Don't see this happening.

Halide, are you forgetting the death's of practically every Transformer in the Transformer's animated movie? And that was Hasbro's doing, essentially to make a new toyline. Included in these deaths was the traumatic death of Optimus Prime (man that death was so well done, it made so many kids cry).

Not to mention practically every Disney movie before that (Seriously, what was Disney's fascination with death? Granted that did lead to this wonderful Animaniacs skit "Bumbi's Mom" (I would put the link, but I'm not sure if direct linking would be allowed, if a mod would be kind enough to weigh in, I'd appreciate it).

That said, I really think that was a product of the times. It seemed that in the 80s and VERY early 90s, the death of a character was OK in animated media for kids. After that, it kinda became taboo to do, unless it was a nonorganic creature that no one cared about (Ala Samurai Jack). So as for on this show? Highly doubt it.

Really, unlike every other issue that was able to have an up beat happy ending, please, tell me, how would you make an up beat happy ending of a pony dying? Perhaps you could do it with a pet... A mother dying while giving birth to a litter, tragedy mixed with a joyous event... But I can't see that being done with any pony.

Halide, are you forgetting the death's of practically every Transformer in the Transformer's animated movie? And that was Hasbro's doing, essentially to make a new toyline. Included in these deaths was the traumatic death of Optimus Prime (man that death was so well done, it made so many kids cry).

Not to mention practically every Disney movie before that (Seriously, what was Disney's fascination with death? Granted that did lead to this wonderful Animaniacs skit "Bumbi's Mom" (I would put the link, but I'm not sure if direct linking would be allowed, if a mod would be kind enough to weigh in, I'd appreciate it).

That said, I really think that was a product of the times. It seemed that in the 80s and VERY early 90s, the death of a character was OK in animated media for kids. After that, it kinda became taboo to do, unless it was a nonorganic creature that no one cared about (Ala Samurai Jack). So as for on this show? Highly doubt it.

Really, unlike every other issue that was able to have an up beat happy ending, please, tell me, how would you make an up beat happy ending of a pony dying? Perhaps you could do it with a pet... A mother dying while giving birth to a litter, tragedy mixed with a joyous event... But I can't see that being done with any pony.

Still couldn't imagine any pony dying.

At least by canon.

Gilda was way cuter as a...hatchy? Gryphilly?

-image snip-

0______0 *sparkeling eyeS* D'aaaaawwwwwwww! *huggles the pair* THEY'RE TOO CUTE! IT SHOULDN'T BE LEGAL!!!

and the word is "Hatchling", Rose.

*raises paw* I'm one of those. I've seen so many movies, mature "adult" movies, that didnt pull as amazing of a death scene as Optimus's... despite that was still one of my favorite movies as a cub (and the source of my still-favorite song of all time "The Touch")

I am not, but you are forgetting that the target audience of MLP is not, in fact, the same as that of Transformers. And, again, movies are not the same as a children's show - a movie is often watched with some sort of parental guidance or involvement, be it taking the child to the theatre, or purchasing the movie for them. Shows are usually milder, because movies are not only longer, but usually more controlled, and thus the child both has more time to deal with the emotional impact, the writers have more chance to resolve the stress of the situation, and the parent is more likely to be available to explain the more mature themes of mortality to the child.

Furthermore, modern shows have higher expectations on being 'politically correct' - re: totally inoffensive and possibly really bland - than those of the 80s and early 90s. If you go further back, you'll find examples of discrimination and violence in 50s-70s cartoons that wouldn't get past any censorship board of the modern 00s or 10s era. Simply because it was done 20-30 years ago does not mean that modern censorship will consider it acceptable.

I am not, but you are forgetting that the target audience of MLP is not, in fact, the same as that of Transformers. And, again, movies are not the same as a children's show - a movie is often watched with some sort of parental guidance or involvement, be it taking the child to the theatre, or purchasing the movie for them. Shows are usually milder, because movies are not only longer, but usually more controlled, and thus the child both has more time to deal with the emotional impact, the writers have more chance to resolve the stress of the situation, and the parent is more likely to be available to explain the more mature themes of mortality to the child.

Furthermore, modern shows have higher expectations on being 'politically correct' - re: totally inoffensive and possibly really bland - than those of the 80s and early 90s. If you go further back, you'll find examples of discrimination and violence in 50s-70s cartoons that wouldn't get past any censorship board of the modern 00s or 10s era. Simply because it was done 20-30 years ago does not mean that modern censorship will consider it acceptable.

That is pretty much what I said, lol. It was a product of the time. It isn't done anymore for any number of reasons. I don't see why since the generation that was pretty liberal with deaths and violence in kids media (read the generation I grew up in) came out fairly unscathed. In only brought up Transformers because it was a PG movie released by Hasbro that had one of the most graphic and shocking deaths of any animated movie. Regardless of parents having input in it, I don't think anyone saw that coming, and had a profound impact on kids.

BTW, I'm not sure if you watch the Nostalgia Critic, but... he did an interview with some people involved with the Animaniacs, and said exactly that. A lot of what they got away with probably wouldn't have flown today, and hell, they were surprised that they were able to get away with it then.

I don't think we'll reach a point with death any further than we already have in the series (Phoenix death, and random coffin).

Off Topic: Your Mike the TV avatar is awesome! It makes me want to rewatch ReBoot!

Also, optimus prime was a robot. You can peel him apart, put him through a shredder, cut him into robo-salami, it's all still just car parts, oil, and sparks, and thus no matter what you do, it's never going to actually fall into that high of a category rating, since he's technically just a machine and therefore of sub-animal status as far as ratings are concerned.

Ponies... nnnnnnnno, no they aren't. There's the theory that Pinkie Pie may actually be some form of sentient gelatin, simply because she ignores basic kinematics and biology by doing things like hanging off ceilings, swallowing 1:1 sized cake shells of herself, and growing an extra pair of hooves when necessary, but other than that, ponies are made of meat and fluids that may disturb younger viewers if shown.

As someone who has watched a lot of toons during the 90's, some channels had stricter censorship laws/rules than others. When Batman:The Animated Series was on Fox Kids, they had some draconian type rules, some made sense (On screen deaths) to just silly (Could show homeless men, but no homeless women or children). The creators did a rather funny comic strip detailing what they couldn't show on Fox. Once the show moved to WB, they were able to make the toon closer to the funny books. They would have never made episodes like "Mad Love" or "Over The Edge" on Fox. Heck, you couldn't even say "Death" or "Dead" or 'Die" in most 90's toons. Note all the butchered anime episodes on CN. Nobody ever died. They were SENT TO ANOTHER DIMENSION! :wail:

And I agree. Probably won't see any on screen deaths on this show..But still, they've gotten stuff past the censors before..

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Radar/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic

There's the theory that Pinkie Pie may actually be some form of sentient gelatin, simply because she ignores basic kinematics and biology by doing things like hanging off ceilings, swallowing 1:1 sized cake shells of herself, and growing an extra pair of hooves when necessary

I have this hilarious image in my head of a sword cleaving through pinky's middle, and leaving just a momentary ripple while she comments "ooo that tickles! teehee"

Also, optimus prime was a robot. You can peel him apart, put him through a shredder, cut him into robo-salami, it's all still just car parts, oil, and sparks, and thus no matter what you do, it's never going to actually fall into that high of a category rating, since he's technically just a machine and therefore of sub-animal status as far as ratings are concerned.

The fact that he is a robot is completely irrelevant to children. It's about the personality behind it, else movies with death like american tale, land before time, and almost every disney movie starring animals wouldnt mean anything to children. Remember, I think, therefore I am.

I have this hilarious image in my head of a sword cleaving through pinky's middle, and leaving just a momentary ripple while she comments "ooo that tickles! teehee"

Nah, she would simply seperate into two slightly smaller pinkies.

The fact that he is a robot is completely irrelevant to children. To them, he is another person, a living being equal to or better than a human being. I think, therefore I am.

I was watching an episode the Batman; The Animated series with its commentary turned on, and one part Batman was fighting this robot replica of a police officer (Harvey Bullock). The creators (Forgot who was talking. maybe Paul Dini) pointed out that they were very limited on how they could show violence to humans, but when it came to robots, even robots that looked human, the sky was the limit! So they were able to show a human type robot having a rather gruesome death.

I was watching an episode the Batman; The Animated series with its commentary turned on, and one part Batman was fighting this robot replica of a police officer (Harvey Bullock). The creators (Forgot who was talking. maybe Paul Dini) pointed out that they were very limited on how they could show violence to humans, but when it came to robots, even robots that looked human, the sky was the limit! So they were able to show a human type robot having a rather gruesome death.

But when the robot is a good guy, and one of the main characters that children come to love and admire, it is still rather upsetting for them to die.