Family/Friends reactions when mentioning MLP :D

Firetaffer

hi hi

I don't generally bring it up with my friends, but I did get called out while gaming a few weeks back. I was GMing a roleplaying game and I was trying to think up of something evil that the big bad was doing. I was sort of talking to myself and I said "she's not whipping up an evil brew..." and someone else at the table bolted up straight and said "I know where that's from!"

Due to my long time love of My Little Pony, my family and friends were not surprised at all when I got back into it. My pony friends, of course, love talking about ponies and my sister does too. My mom is surprisingly interested in my hobby of collecting and restoring G1 ponies. Every time I get a new one in, she always asks me to tell her about the pony, what condition it is in, how rare it is, and what work I'm going to do to it.

My best friend went with me to Toys R Us to find ponies, and even laughed when I gleed in Zellers when I found the tiny molded ones. But then again, she's a huge Pinkie fan, so this is all cute to her.

The local furry fandom knows I am into Ponies, and all are cool with it. Heck, more than a few have come over to the pony-side of things so I am definatly not alone there. We're even throwing together a small Pony-themed event for an evening. :)

I have customers at work who are on my Facebook and have seen my three albums of captioned work, so they know fully that I am into the show. Some have even started to watch it either by themselves or with their children. I always love the days where MLP comes up in conversation while they are placing an order for flooring. :P

My family, they have no clue. I think they suspect, but that's about it. For the most part I probably won't involve them at all. Too...narrow minded.

My family, they have no clue. I think they suspect, but that's about it. For the most part I probably won't involve them at all. Too...narrow minded.

The family is the one group I wouldn't tell (well them and co-workers I suppose), but not like it matters. I don't yell my involvement in any fandom from the rooftops and FiM fandom wouldn't be any different in that regard. When it comes to fandoms, I mostly keep all that to myself during family events, they certainly wouldn't be interested and only find it all weird, so why bother?

Unfortunately, I have to be careful which friends I share this with. Because some of my friends make their mind up about these sort of things before giving it a chance.

And I'm more worried about people thinking I'm a brony because I want an excuse to gel with a more feminine group of people than I am worried about the general embarrassment of the thing. However, I'd probably be more embarrassed watching iCarly.

FiM has swept through FA like it has swept through 4chan, but with much less backlash. The amount of pony avatar icons I have seen there. :shock:

I think it's cause they're all furs, so thus it doesn't really strike them as weird.

Then again, I've started having some locals take sharper than normal jabs at it.

Which I brush off for the most part.

I mean, just cause I am into it doesn't mean THEY have to be into it.

Which I think applies to pretty much everything with MLP:FIM.

We're into it because we LIKE it. Just because you don't doesn't mean you have to watch it....

Unless we make you...

Mwahahahahah! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

FiM has swept through FA like it has swept through 4chan, but with much less backlash. The amount of pony avatar icons I have seen there. :shock:

I think it's cause they're all furs, so thus it doesn't really strike them as weird.

Then again, I've started having some locals take sharper than normal jabs at it.

Which I brush off for the most part.

I mean, just cause I am into it doesn't mean THEY have to be into it.

Which I think applies to pretty much everything with MLP:FIM.

We're into it because we LIKE it. Just because you don't doesn't mean you have to watch it....

Unless we make you...

Mwahahahahah! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Well I am rather open about it on FA and I have never received direct attack for it. Sure, some watchers have told me they think FiM sucks, and that's fine, no one is required to like what I like (always puzzled why people feel the need to tell you they don't like what you are into, but I digress), but I never had any real trouble over it.

Seen all kinds of pony art there (that ends up everywhere else, I wonder much much people know this stuff is made by furfans), from the very cute, to the weird, to the shipping, to the very adult, but nothing that surprises me too much (it is FA after all :lol: )

The reaction has been pretty positive! I've already converted a few bronies--male and female alike! I really want to get my cousin into it. She loved MLP as a kid, and I think she'd greatly enjoy the new show. She loves cute/silly/funny things. Hehehe, I wonder if I can make her husband a brony too. *cackle* *steeples fingers*

Tho' really, some folks don't get it. I just tell folks not to pass judgment till they've seen a couple of episodes. I pass them a YouTube link and tell folks to go watch "The Ticket Master", "Applebuck Season", "Bridle Gossip" or "Sonic Rainboom". Maybe even "Dragonshy".

They start out skeptical..then...PONYCRACK. :lol:

Yesterday, I told my four year old sister that I would watch something with her. Well, my computer didn't want to cooperate, so I ended up playing the YouTube videos of MLP: FiM out in the living room, where we can hook up a different computer to the TV. Anyway, we watched both parts of the pilot, and by that time, my other eight year old sister and eleven year old brother were out there watching it to. Along the way, littlest sister fell asleep, but we ended up watching through Griffon the Brush Off.

Well one of my friends came into my room just a minute ago and saw that McDonald's pony collect on my shelf and simply stated, "My Little Pony?? WTF, Jesus!" right in the middle of out conversion. I asked him if it really bothered him though, he stated "nahh, its cool, if it makes you happy dude".

So even with friends who would never like FiM, I still don't that bad of reactions.

Boyfriend just stared at me.

He came over a little bit ago to help me pack for a trip and I was playing the episodes on my tv.

He just looked at me XD

He started watching it too after I told I got it and started stabbing the shampoo bottle with a knife, haha.

Half way through one of CMC episodes she looked over at me and said "I'm surprised your Cutie Mark isn't a knife"

He likes it he just wont admit it... yet....