My first thought was horror that they didn't return the egg.

The second was rationalization, because they saved the egg by running away with it.

The third was disappointment that they didn't at least make an attempt to return the egg again.

Well, kids would try to mimic episode's happenings... If they take the egg home, parents would see it and know better what to do (should) and I don't want to picture kids crawling on trees to return an egg... 1. Odds are great adult birds reject the egg evein if it's theirs. 2.Adult birds likely would try to or attack anyone approaching their nest.

3. A kid falling from a tree got great odds of at least pain.

Notice how there appear to be no female dragons? My headcanon: The great dragon migration is about mating. They're out to get to wherever the female dragons are. The adults don't seem to interact, just the teens. Just like some animals, adolescent dragons team up, but eventually develop into solitary creatures as they mature.

I also assumed that the migration was for mating purposes or socializing the young ones. Spike may have had to hang with the teens because there weren't any baby dragons yet

I've read a theory that, since the migration is for mating purposes, the teenagers were all conceived and hatched during or just after the previous migration. Spike, on the other hand, was hatched when Twilight was having her entrance exam, which was after the previous migration but before this one. That's why there are no dragons of the same age group as Spike.