Old pokemon card recycling.

Starfox64x

So i have a bunch of old pokemon cards from when i was a kid, all old, common, and doubles usually... So i'm trying to think of something neat and crafty to do with them, but i'm not entirely sure what...

I was thinking of just putting the all together and having them as either a big mosaic or maybe like line the top of my wall where it meets the ceiling. then i thought of making them into a big picture of something else... you know how they have those things where when you looks at it from afar it looks like one picture, but when you zoom in it's actually a lot of little pictures... although i wouldnt know where to start with that, hehe....

but those are just random ideas... you got any ideas on what i can do with a buttload of old pokemon cards?

EDIT:

Just to give you an idea of exactly how many cards i actually have...

photobucket-2830-1333081031540.jpg

I didn't think it was that big, hehe....

• Like 2

I just got rid of several thousand magic cards pretty easily. I had bought a collection for $120, sold a bunch of rares on ebay to get about $180 back ($30 in shipping!), and then I picked the bunch clean for cards that I would use. That left well over 7000 cards remaining. So I sent out some feelers to find a new player who would enjoy them, and gave the rest away.

For any art projects, at least the backs are all the same. You could probably make a nice border around your room with them at about 3' AFF. Or maybe 12" below the ceiling? If there is one card that you really like, you can turn it right-side up to contrast with the rest.

Throw them away? If they are trash, just go for it.

I just got rid of several thousand magic cards pretty easily. I had bought a collection for $120, sold a bunch of rares on ebay to get about $180 back ($30 in shipping!), and then I picked the bunch clean for cards that I would use. That left well over 7000 cards remaining. So I sent out some feelers to find a new player who would enjoy them, and gave the rest away.

For any art projects, at least the backs are all the same. You could probably make a nice border around your room with them at about 3' AFF. Or maybe 12" below the ceiling? If there is one card that you really like, you can turn it right-side up to contrast with the rest.

Throw them away? If they are trash, just go for it.

I dont know if many people play pokemon anymore... and besides, all of those are doubles anyway. i should have one of every card i have in a notebook around somewhere... but i dont think any of these are worth sending to a player...

I was thinkin a border of some kind, but i feel like the permanent-ness of it would be a bit undesirable... maybe something i can move from place to place if i want. maybe i'll get a frame and just put them in for geeky decorations

You play M:tG Weeshy? I used to play that! I have a squirrel deck that's pretty funny.

I played in high school pretty extensively, and when I quit, I kept a couple of decks. When I got to Alaska, I found a pretty extensive and healthy community, and discovered that my friends played as well. It was pretty natural to get back into it.

I also played the pokemon TCG for a couple of months, and was completely underwhelmed. I might have liked it if it weren't competing with and being compared to Magic.

Well, i checked the estimated value online for a couple of the cards... and some of them are actually worth some money... $2 here, 4 here and 6 there... It's adding up pretty fast... I went through all of my promo cards (about 20-30) and i'm thinking i could get $80 for $120 worth of cards... And thats just the promo cards, i havent even gone through the 800 other cards (although they're probably not worth as much) but still... i think i'll try to sell the valuable ones and then just get crafty with the leftovers (like the eight gazillion energies i have, hehe...)

The fastest and most efficient way to unload cards is to sell them as a collection. You won't get as much, but let me assure you, the effort saved makes up for it. Craigslist is great for this. And you will make someone very happy likely.

The fastest and most efficient way to unload cards is to sell them as a collection. You won't get as much, but let me assure you, the effort saved makes up for it. Craigslist is great for this. And you will make someone very happy likely.

Oh hell yeah, i'm not selling them one at a time... i'll probably start by trying to sell the whole thing for X amount after i go through and get their value (give people the list so they know what they're getting) and hopefully just sell it like that...

If that doesnt work, i may just sell them in chunks of 50 or so. have them pick out which ones they REALLY want and the rest will just be filler and price it that way... i dunno, still working on getting a good price estimate.

I'd recommend against letting people cherry-pick their favorites. That sounds like a lot of trouble to get less money and drag out the process. Buying a collection is a phenomenal deal for the buyer, and in return you get some value out of all the commons.

I'd recommend against letting people cherry-pick their favorites. That sounds like a lot of trouble to get less money and drag out the process. Buying a collection is a phenomenal deal for the buyer, and in return you get some value out of all the commons.

Yeah, i suppose. but again, worried that as a whole i might be asking for more than most people can afford... but again, that'll probably be a later option, i'll go with the wholesale first.

You can't beat Weesh's business sense on this one. I definitely agree.

Take all the funds you make and buy ponystuff! Good investment imo!

Lol, just like pokemon cards, huh? The only real pony merch i think i want is either a shirt or one of those Crystal Dash keychains...

I've actually donated my cards years ago but seem to be finding one after another in the wierdest places.

I had that issue with legos...

I've got a few thousand Pokemon cards here myself. I've got, like, one friend that still plays, so I might just set aside my deck and use the rest for something else. I could make a pretty penny off some of these cards if I put up the effort to do so. Probably the prettiest penny could be made off of my deck, but I'm not so willing to sell it. It was tons of fun when I played regularly. I was the bomb. Nobody could beat me.

I was in the same situation a while back. I took a bunch of Yu-Gi-Oh cards and made several different decks with cards that complemented each other. I then sold the decks. I got around 200 bucks for all of them. I wish I could have done the same for my Pokemon cards. The only problem with this is that it takes FOREVER to make the decks. I only kept the rarest of cards for my own private collection of memories.

I had this problem about a year ago with plushie cats. only you can't really do much art-wise with plushie cats, and there's no market for used plushie cats and the local charity places don't really have a place to put over 100 plushie cats...

I think they're in a storage room in a Safeway at the moment :l

It was tons of fun when I played regularly.

I wasn't a fan. There were way too many cards with coin flips. And having started after already playing the blue version on my original gameboy multiple times, I felt it was pretty shallow. It had many of the halmarks of a good game except that I didn't have fun while playing it.

I still do play Pokemon cards actually :3 Knight and I play over Skype. It's silly but fun.

As for what to do with your cards...

pokmon-pokmon-card-dress-cosplay.jpg

Actually, now I kinda one make one of those myself and wear it to my local anime convention this summer. X'D I have enough cards and I've made a duct tape dress before, so I can do basically the same thing.

I wasn't a fan. There were way too many cards with coin flips. And having started after already playing the blue version on my original gameboy multiple times, I felt it was pretty shallow. It had many of the halmarks of a good game except that I didn't have fun while playing it.

Bear in mind, "when I played regularly" means when I was, like, 7 or 8. I haven't played that game in close to 10 years. Now all I play is Magic.

Bear in mind, "when I played regularly" means when I was, like, 7 or 8. I haven't played that game in close to 10 years. Now all I play is Magic.

Yeah, I feel like I was 14ish. I can imagine being more forgiving at half that age, especially if it had predated magic.