Silly English users...

Starfox64x

It's Joe's Book, not Joes Book.

That's the only, ONLY thing I really can't stand. I, usually, remember the rules concerning usage of English language.

But when it comes to what I've just quoted from Shadow, I prefer finding different solution to the problem...

Also, I simply MUST notice this... how little tolerance this thread implies .-. As I'm not native English at all, I find myself at least justified for making mistakes. Being corrected by others is still annoying, since I'm trying hard to be as clear as possible, while maintaining the appropriate level. But I don't deny that I remember some of those corrections.

It's not that I'm not tolerant, it's just that it gets really annoying when you see this:

"hai guis my name is (insert name here) and im newe to this forum I really love ponie and i find youre forum very nice and active and i cant wati to be mor active. thanks for thet intro and il see you latr"

Not an exact quote or anything. You really have to admit, it can get on your nerves quite quickly. Bad grammar makes people seem unprofessional, lazy, and somewhat uneducated. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. If you're not familiar with the English language, then it's understandable. HOWEVER, if you are fluent in the language, and if you are from a English speaking country, I find that there should be no excuse for it.

I think the rage is more toward native English speakers. I respect and admire anyone who knows two languages or more, especially if English was not their first language.

I wouldn't take grammatical corrections too seriously -- if you learn how to write and speak better English because of it, it's of great benefit. This doesn't excuse how rude a correction might seem, however, which is why I think it's wise to take it with a grain of salt and learn from it instead.

• Like 1

I'm dutch, and honestly people fixing my grammar pisses me off too no bounds. cause all in all, I speak a language a 100 times harder to learn then english, so I often tell them to come back when they've learned Dutch.

http://livelonger.hubpages.com/hub/Most_Difficult_Languages_-_Polish

http://www.lexiophiles.com/featured-articles/top-list-of-the-hardest-languages-to-learn

Thank you :)

Although I understand your approach, I don't share it. I wouldn't be that cruel to make them learn my language.

Anyway, SirShadow, that's quite an extreme example you brought up. I doubt you'd find it unintended. But I personally know a lot, and I really mean it, a lot of people in my age whose English makes me cry inside. But it's not because they're lazy or something. It's because their talent to learning new languages equals nearly zero. For example, I barely studied English throughout my entire life. But when I tried German, after 6 years I can't speak a single correct sentence.

Also, when it comes to education matters... I once heard a really nice quote.

It is not knowledge which describes how smart and wise you are, but the ability to express it to the outside world with your words.

And I agree with this in 100%. [naturally, don't try to implement disabled people et cetera in here... it's not the point]

Also don't ever ask a woman if she's pregnant unless she's 1. On the ground, in labor. 2. She tells you. Otherwise don't assume anything.

Follow this advice and you might live to have grandchildren.

Better yet, avoid the topic entirely. And even this can backfire, when the woman wants and expects "the pregnant treatment."

I hate text speak. My dad sent me a text once. This is what I saw. 'ave u finished wrk'. It screams to me the word 'lazy'. Have has a 'H' in it people and you is spelled 'Y-O-U'. What was the point in skipping a letter in the word 'work'. My answer is, there isn't a point to any form of text speak. Text speak is causing spelling failure. I am not good at spelling and I won't deny it. But when a college class of fourty students, including me, all have a terrible score in a spelling test, there is clearly something wrong. It was discovered that most of the college students were writing the way they would say words like they would in some forms of text speak. I got a terrible score becuase I couldn't spell the words on the paper. I'm not perfect and sometimes I use spell checker if I am unsure of the proper spelling of certain words. But I hate text speak!

For whoever was announced by "ATM machine" on the first page...

As a mechanical engineer, I frequently address DDC Controls. DDC stands for direct digital control. However, it isn't my prerogative to just leave off the word "controls". Everyone says it and expects it.

I both exonerate and mutilate the English language, although years of reading often has me doing the former. It irks me when people misuse pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

• Like 1

I both exonerate and mutilate the English language, although years of reading often has me doing the former. It irks me when people misuse pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

It just gets no respect. It is a serious condition, but people care more about the appearance than of those who suffer from it.

It just gets no respect. It is a serious condition, but people care more about the appearance than of those who suffer from it.

Very serious indeed. This world.

Lemme let you in on a little secret...no matter what her age is, just call her miss. Trust me on this.

Woman is singular. Women is plural.

Also don't ever ask a woman if she's pregnant unless she's 1. On the ground, in labor. 2. She tells you. Otherwise don't assume anything.

Follow this advice and you might live to have grandchildren.

Yeah I hate being called a ma'am. I'm not an old lady :scream:

I'm dutch, and honestly people fixing my grammar pisses me off too no bounds. cause all in all, I speak a language a 100 times harder to learn then english, so I often tell them to come back when they've learned Dutch.

Oh heck, if i poked someone for not typing English quite right on the computer and then they told me it was there seconds language, i would apologize profusely. English is not easy, there may be a lot of rules, but there are more exceptions to those rules that make things confusing. At least with Spanish there was a pretty defined set of rules that made things fairly easy to keep track of...

As for Dutch... I have nooooo idea how hard that is, but i'm fairly certain it's not easy, and frankly i commend you for being able to learn a second language Period. I dont think i could speak one well enough to be considered fluent, so i admire anyone who can speak a second language well enough to carry on a conversation.

Text speak is just fine for txt msgs. Remember that messages over a certain length count as 2, and no everyone is on an unlimited plan. Also, texting is annoying to do, and shortening it makes it less annoying.

I wrote a rant about how much I disagreed with this post, but after reading it, I had second thoughts and deleted it.