Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan on letting them find out the same way they find out about anything I'm associated with, they catching me being involved with it. The upside to this approach as that the first thing that pops into there head is "Good it's not something associated with taking over the world" and the second thought is "Good it's not something associated with him plotting to destroy the world" :D and thus it turns into a win win

My parents only mocked me once about ponies. It was my father, and he was most likely just frustrated at the time, so I don't hold it against him.

I'm not a brony either. I really don't have a label for what kind of pony fan I am. :smug:

My parents did find it amusing (and my family for the most part find the show to be amusing.) But I doubt they were surprised since I've always been a fan of animation. I'm lucky in that they've never judged me on my tastes.

I'm not a brony either. I really don't have a label for what kind of pony fan I am. :smug:

And that's perfectly acceptable and fine. Maybe a "pony supporter"? We have lots of those in this community -- people that appreciate the culture and watch the show, but might not declare bronydom outright or even consider themselves part of the fan culture.

I consider myself a pegasister, but I've met other girls that don't like that term. It just depends on the person!

I mentioned it to my parents recently. I basically said "Yeah, it's surprising, but the latest series of My Little Pony is pretty good. It's gotten remarkably popular with males too".

Mum: "Oh, well, okay then."

Dad: "I wouldn't have expected you to be a My Little Pony fan."

Me: "Hey, neither did I!"

Dad: "Ha ha ha!"

mlfw609_small.jpg

not bad! I havent officially told my dad yet but I think he has his suspicions. At the expense of catching a wrap from me for breaking my privacy he went into my closet for some reason and found one of my brony shirts and another one that I was going to give to an ex of mine. He asked me what they were about and I told them they had BOTH been for her. He gave me a whatever but he doesnt forget stuff like this, he's a smart guy. So honestly I have no idea where I stand right now. I really dont want him to know because I feel there is too much stress on our relationship as it is (we are VERY different people once you get below the surface) and something like this would really weird him out and just give him more ammunition. My mom knows but I think she just tries to forget about it now. Originally she seemed really open, even interested in the show. Now I think she must have gotten some feedback on the situation from a friend or something and just tries to pretend I dont watch it. Oh well at least I dont have to worry about her ridiculing me for it :)

Just to elaborate on what actually happened, because I remembered something.

My Mum walked in on me drawing a pony picture for a friend. I had my headphones on so I didn't hear her. After I noticed she was there, I figured I'd show her the pic.

Me: "It's something I'm drawing for a friend."

Mum: "Oh, it's a pony? So it's for a female friend then."

Me: "Well, yeah."

Mum: "Heh, yeah, boys aren't really into that sort of thing are they?"

Me: "...weeeeeell..."

*one brief explanation later*

Mum: "Oh, well, okay then. But that one with the Butterfly is a girl, right?"

Me: "Yes Mum. The boy ponies are much more manly than that." ;)

Mum: "Hehe!"

So yeah, that went well. I never actually explained about bronies, or the community or anything. I basically just said "yeah, the new show is pretty good" like the most normal thing in the world, and that was it.

Telling my father went like this:

Dad: "So, I hear you're planning to go to America for a cartoon convention?" (something I'd told my Mum a few days earlier. Planning on going to Bronycon)

Me: "Yeah. Well, sort of. It's actually.... a My Little Pony convention"

Dad: *Long pause.* *Blink.* "...okay?"

*one brief explanation later*

Insert the aforementioned exchange from my previous post.

Dad: "So where are all your pony toys?" :P

Neither of my parents know so far but it probably would not surprise them.

Mom has already cornered me over my usual conventioneering exploits, trying to get reassurance the stuff that was depicted in a certain... furry fandom episode of CSI was complete unadulterated balony. It was complete roadapples and I told her so, explaining each and every part. (and if you have seen that CSI episode, that probably what CBS network thinks of the brony fandom too.)

not bad! I havent officially told my dad yet but I think he has his suspicions. At the expense of catching a wrap from me for breaking my privacy he went into my closet for some reason and found one of my brony shirts and another one that I was going to give to an ex of mine. He asked me what they were about and I told them they had BOTH been for her. He gave me a whatever but he doesnt forget stuff like this, he's a smart guy. So honestly I have no idea where I stand right now. I really dont want him to know because I feel there is too much stress on our relationship as it is (we are VERY different people once you get below the surface) and something like this would really weird him out and just give him more ammunition. My mom knows but I think she just tries to forget about it now. Originally she seemed really open, even interested in the show. Now I think she must have gotten some feedback on the situation from a friend or something and just tries to pretend I dont watch it. Oh well at least I dont have to worry about her ridiculing me for it :)

You never informed me of this. What do you think is going to happen?

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't get it! These characters must not give off the MLP vibe, I guess. (I know I had to be told Rainbow Dash was a My Little Pony when I first saw her, lol.)

So I ordered this Rainbow Dash plushie last week and it just arrived at my family's home today. So I ask them to open it and tell me the condition so I can leave feedback for the seller. So now they've seen exactly what it is and I also linked it to them earlier on Facebook to let them know to expect it. Not only did it say it was from My Little Pony in the description but the related items are all explicately MLP. Yet they haven't questioned me. Maybe the eyes are anime-ish enough that they think it's a Pokemon or something.

My grandmother doesn't get it... Does it affect me? A little bit, she's been highly involved in raising me since I was around 3 years old. My mom was a single mother from when I was 6 thanks to a divorce and remarried when I was about 9-10 years old. We lived in my grandma's house from when I was 3 to 8 years of age and then we moved into the house next door to her. So I think it's jarring for her to find out about it. I don't know what else to say about it....

Except time is running out... My grandma is almost 80 or 80 right now... And my grandpa is in poor health, has diabetes and is on blood thinners too... I can feel the pressure...

Except time is running out... My grandma is almost 80 or 80 right now... And my grandpa is in poor health, has diabetes and is on blood thinners too... I can feel the pressure...

Time can always run out, and you never know when. You can't spend it worrying what others might think, even your grandparents or parents. You have but one life to live. You can slow down to explain your choices, but in the end you must keep walking your chosen path and live the life that makes you happy without stopping. If you stop completely and miss something, that is what they call "regret."

My mom does. She thinks its kind of cute since I've been showering my little sister with MLP videos and its brought us a bit closer together. As for my dad, like all my other obssessions (video games, anime, etc) he just tends to ignore them and could care less what I'm in to.

Both my parents know I'm a brony. They'll poke fun at me from time to time, but nothing bad. They pretty much accept it, even though they are still confused as to why I enjoy My Little Pony. They've watched a couple episodes, they didn't seem to mind it. They even bought me a Fluttershy figure for Christmas once (even though it was meant as a joke). :D

They know. And I think their exact words were: "I don't have a problem with that."

They even bought me a Fluttershy figure for Christmas once (even though it was meant as a joke). :D

LOL! That 's what I did for my [non-brony] friend [whose fav pony is Fluttershy] last Christmas. And it was [partially] meant as a joke!

Archived