[Ponyville] Trash and Treasures (open)

Mojo

Pigpen smiled as he saw more customers entering his store, smiling even wider at the famous baby dragon who had just arrived. The smelly, unkempt stallion listened intently at Spike's explanation of his predicament.

[colour=#FF0000]"Well Spike, that would've been several days ago," [/colour]Pigpen began to explain. [colour=#FF0000]"Though I do not remember running across the chest you described, chances are I haven't got around to sorting through that day's trash haul yet. Relax, my friend, perhaps the chest is still here, I will check for you, pardon me a moment."[/colour]

Immediately, Pigpen let out a whistle. This call drew an even larger swarm of the stallion's fly friends to him.

[colour=#FF0000]"My friends, we need your help. A wooden chest that is special to Spike may have been accidentally tossed into the trash several days ago. Would you all please do a quick search through our unprocessed garbage to see if it is still here?"[/colour]

Pigpen's loyal flies did a collective 'louder buzz' in acknowledgement before flying out a nearby open window. Having witnessed this strange event, Saddlesore was once more, stunned.

[colour=#0000FF]"You gotta be kidding me!" [/colour]the gruff blue stallion grumbled. [colour=#0000FF]"Pigpen's flies understood all that? That's not possible!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"YOU also thought the appearance of royalty in this antique shop was impossible too, young colt," [/colour]Mr Waddle said sternly. [colour=#696969]"I have to admit, despite his outward appearance, Mr. Pigpen seems to be a very resourceful pony."[/colour]

Two minutes later, the fly swarm returned, carrying a small green piece of cloth among them.

[colour=#FF0000]"AH! Good news Spike!" [/colour]Pigpen shouted. [colour=#FF0000]"They have apparently found your chest!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"How in Equestria could you know that?" [/colour]Saddlesore snarled.

[colour=#FF0000]"By the colour cloth they brought back to me. A green cloth indicates 'yes' while a red one would signal 'no'. Spike, if you follow my files, I'm sure they will lead you to it."[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Could I help, Pigpen?" [/colour]Mr. Waddle volunteered. [colour=#696969]"Perhaps I can assist Spike in retrieving the chest from the pile."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"I will gladly help too!" [/colour]announced Dr. Stable. [colour=#8B4513]"These trained flies of yours fascinate me, Pigpen. I'd like to observe them in action."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Thanks for the offer," [/colour]the shaggy stallion neighed with a smile. [colour=#FF0000]"That's a great idea. Ok my fly friends, show Mr Waddle, Dr. Stable and Spike where you found it."[/colour]

Another loud buzz of acknowledgement as the fly swarm slowly hovered, moving towards the front door as Mr Waddle quickly opened it.

[colour=#696969]"Come along, sonny, time to reclaim your property!" [/colour]the elderly speckle wearing stallion shouted as he and the doctor followed after the fly swarm. Pigpen then turned towards Princess Luna and the Skybrights.

[colour=#FF0000]"Your majesty, I do have many starcharts I've collected over the years. I'm not sure if any of them are very old, but they could be antiques in themselves. Feel free to browse through them over in the corner. Please pardon me a moment, I will join you all over there shortly." [/colour]Pigpen said as he directed his attention towards Sugar Apple. [colour=#FF0000]"May I help you, ma'am?"[/colour]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(OOC: apologies for the massive delays, been sick a lot lately)

Hoss and Shanna Listened as Pigpen described an astronomer's estate collection that was indeed around and available.

To their immense surprise, Princess Luna herself came around a set of shelves at the mention of star charts.

The Twins bowed quickly, but with eager looks on their faces "Princess!"

As it became clear she was giving them a chance at the charts first, they rose and spoke at once "Thank you, your Majesty! You are most welcome."

the young mare, Shanna fluttered her wings happily[colour=#008080] "We enjoyed your response to our letter recently."[/colour]

Her brother followed suit[colour=#0000cd] "Yes, We are the Skybrights twins.[/colour]"

Hoss looked from Luna to his sister [colour=#0000cd]"Perhaps if we were divide the spoils by interest?"[/colour]

Shanna nodded [colour=#008080]"True, If the astronomer left a chart or two with a lot of footnotes, there may be partial discoveries we can verify. Those would be more to our needs than the whole lot."[/colour]

Hoss nodded [colour=#0000ff]"Yes, and I cant wait to see the telescope as well."[/colour]

As the young dragon burst in, the twins were momentarily distracted, but remained calm as he was only a baby, and the Princess seemed to know him.

They were even more stunned as the proprieter set a flock of flies to find the baby dragon's hoard.

"Amazing..."

Shaking their heads, they turned back to Princess Luna and looked to the corner and bookcase where the items were. "Shall we, Princess Luna?"

Spike wasn't quite sure what to say about this rather odd measure that Pigpen utilised - it seemed a rather peculiar method of achieving something overly simple, and yet for reasons that nobody could probably explain EXCEPT pigpen, it worked for him just fine. The dragon gives a small shrug - heck, he was a dragon who was used frequently to send letters to the princess of Equestria...he really had no place himself to comment on how somepony else took care of such things.

Giving a small shrug of a mental 'Whatever' at the thought, Spike nonetheless gives an appreciative '[colour=#008080]Thanks[/colour]' to the pony who had at least played a huge part in giving him a good lead to follow, before boundi9ng after the bees eagerly - sure, he hadn't thought before right now that he'd wind up chasing bees to find his lost gems, but sometimes that was just how the world turned...and Spike knew better than to just question how things worked out, so long as they simply worked at all!

[colour=#000080]”Good afternoon, Spike.” she noticed his awkwardness as he realized he'd previously missed her presence “How is Miss Sparkle today?” When in Ponyville, the two were normally inseparable, though Spike did not always make the journey to Canterlot when Twilight was called there. Luna knew that, had the purple Unicorn been present, she would have quickly heard her friendly and cheerful voice as soon as she entered. The princess also wanted to keep her questions brief, as Spike seemed to be rather in a hurry.

“Ah, thank you Pigpen!” Luna grinned, trying not to squee like a filly. Any maps older than the last few years would be something new to her. The sky was always changing, seasons, weather, and location all affected exactly what the sky would look like on any given night. Though the night sky had remained untouched in her absence, technology certainly had improved, and maps had evolved to be more detailed and efficient.

She smiled as the apparent twins spoke in unison, giggling a little at their excitement. She was pleasantly surprised to hear that she was already acquainted with the two before her from her recent correspondence with them. “I quite enjoyed your letter. It's nice to be able to put a face to at least one—rather, two—of those I have been in contact with. I'm sure a look at those star charts would be enlightening for all.” she turned to head in the direction Pigpen had indicated.[/colour]

1zq8oio.png

Sugar Apple noticed how the purple lizard thingy turned its attention to a large blue alicorn thingy… Princess Luna! Gasping, the pegasus hurriedly bowed in the presence of the night princess. [colour=#800080]“Howdy thar, yer majesty!”[/colour] Sugar Apple stammered; [colour=#800080]“Can ah be of service?”[/colour] Hopefully, her bow wasn’t too sloppy; Sugar Apple didn’t want to look too foolish in front of a princess.

The mare kept bowing until she heard somepony unfamiliar ask her a question. Sugar Apple got up from her bow and noticed the dirty… and awfully-smelly shopkeeper. [colour=#800080]“Uhhh…you don’t happen t’have enny music records, do ya?”[/colour] Sugar Apple asked; [colour=#800080]“Ah love me some rock, so anythin’ like that would be great.”[/colour]

Pigpen neighed in delight. His store wasn't usually this busy, let alone visited by so many famous ponies!

[colour=#FF0000]"Yes ma'am, I do have some phonograph records," [/colour]Pigpen began to explain. [colour=#FF0000]"I must confess, my selection is limited since those records I find in the trash are usually scratched up or broken. However, in some of the houses I've been asked to clean out, I have ran across some. All I have is in that cabinet over in the corner next to the charts and books."[/colour]

Leading Sugar Apple over to them, the smelly unkempt stallion pointed to it as he turned towards Princess Luna and the Skybright twins.

[colour=#FF0000]"Your majesty, Shanna and Hoss,"[/colour] Pigpen said as he politely bowed again to the Princess. [colour=#FF0000]"Have you found any charts to your liking?"[/colour]

Saddlesore spotted Sugar Apple and became entralled with the beautiful Pegasus mare. With a big grin on his face, he walked over to her.

[colour=#0000FF]"Hi there, miss," [/colour]the blue Earth stallion said, [colour=#0000FF]"what's a gorgeous girl like you doing in a place like this?"[/colour]

Meanwhile, outside in the yard, Mr. Waddle and Dr. Stable followed the swarm of Pigpen's flies until they started hovering and buzzing in a circle above a huge dumpster.

[colour=#8B4513]"I think if I aim my magic correctly, I can extract the chest," [/colour]Dr. Stable said as he closed his eyes and his horn began to glow. Within a few seconds, a small wooden chest floated upward and into view.

[colour=#696969]"That's it, sonny! You're doing it!" [/colour]the glasses wearing elderly stallion shouted as Dr. Stable brought the chest down in front of Spike.

[colour=#8B4513]"Spike, is THIS your chest?"[/colour]

1zq8oio.png

[colour=#800080]“Ah appreciate that mighty much, mister!”[/colour] thanked Sugar Apple as the shopkeeper led her over to the corner cabinet. Once there, she began digging through the records to see if there was anything there to her liking. Unfortunately, she didn’t have luck with the first few records she looked at. So far, all she found was classical, big band, and country music.

Before the mare proceeded much farther into her search, she was interrupted by another unfamiliar pony. Sugar Apple judged that this pony, a stallion by the sound of it, was keenly interested in her. Flattered, the pegasus turned her head towards the light blue earth pony and blushed. [colour=#800080]“Well ain’t that sweet of ya,”[/colour] Sugar Apple giggled; [colour=#800080]“Ah'm tryin' to find some rock n’ roll music here. Wanna’ help me look through these records?”[/colour] Sugar Apple would appreciate any help finding the music she wanted… and the grinning mare reckoned this stallion looked cute with that enthusiastic smile of his.

• 2 weeks later...

Spikes eyes grow a little wider at the sight of the rather ratty but familiar chest - it wasn't exactly clean anymore, and it hadn't been particularly pristine for the longest time, but Spike kinda knew roughly what it looked like, and was pretty sure that what was being hoisted into the air by the power of magic was more or less what he'd come all this way to find.

" [colour=#008080]YES, that's it[/colour]! " Spike utters excitedly, hopping up onto a nearby broken stool to get a better look at it, trying not to let his over excitale self get....well, too over excited at the prospect of being reunited with the collection of tasty gems that lay within - or at least, that's where he remembered they were. " I even brought the key with me! " He anounced triumphantly, holding up a simple silver key that had small taints of rusty streaks across it, which he breathed on with a simple breath and rubs on his chest, cleaning it almost like an apple. He plops the key into the hole and unlocks it, immediately rewarded by the sight of...

" [colour=#008080]Old manuscripts[/colour]? [colour=#008080]Broken Quills[/colour]? " He utters, rubbing his head for a moment, rummaging again through deeper, and turning up even more curious junk.

" [colour=#008080]They've gotta be here someplace - I KNOW I put them in here... [/colour]"

He leans more into the chest to get a closer look, but finds himself losing balance and falling forwards - his tail whipcracking against the chest lid on a reflex, causing it to loose it's balanced open position and falls squarely back into place again with a rather solid sounding thunk. Spike pauses as he tries to turn around in the trunk to rectify himself, which in turn would look like the trunk was jumping and shaking of it's own accord had nopony witnessed Spikes unfortunate situation.

The dragon tries to pound on the top of the chest, calling out to those ponies outside - this was kinda ridiculous, afterall....

" [colour=#008080]Uh... [/colour]" He calls out, quite glad that none of them could see the look of awkward humiliation on his features right now. " [colour=#008080]Little help here please, somepony[/colour]! "

Dr Stable recognized Spike's predicament immediately. Using his levitation magic, the light brown physician opened the chest and gently began to lift the baby dragon up.

[colour=#8B4513]"Gotcha, young fellow," [/colour]Dr Stable said before turning towards Mr. Waddle. [colour=#8B4513]"While I continue to assist Spike in searching this chest, you return to the office and tell Pigpen that his wooden chest has been found."[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Splendid idea!" [/colour]the bow tie wearing elderly stallion said as he galloped back into the showroom. Mr. Waddle was stunned to see Saddlesore with a beaming grin on his face while actually being 'nice' to the Pegasus mare who had just began shopping.

[colour=#0000FF]"Anything you say, beautiful," [/colour]Saddlesore muttered before realizing what he had just said outloud. Instantly, the blue stallion blushed before he cleared his throat to say, "[colour=#0000FF]Uh, I meant to say, yes ma'am, I will gladly help you search these phonograph records. Looking for something in particular?"[/colour]

Mr Waddle supressed his urge to giggle at the socially awkward stallion. The glasses wearing stallion then turned his attention towards Princess Luna, who stood with the Skybright Twins as Pigpen rushed over to her first.

[colour=#FF0000]"Your majesty," [/colour]the unkempt shaggy stallion said before he took a respectful bow to the Princess of the Night. [colour=#FF0000]"I know how much you Princesses love tea, so I have some freshly brewed for you! Would you like for me to fetch you a cup?"[/colour]

Mr Waddle smiled at Pigpen's gesture of hospitality. Sure, he was an odd pony, but at least he was trying his best to be a good host. Mr Waddle took this opportunity to walk up to the royal visitor, bowing first before he addressed her.

[colour=#696969]"Princess Luna, how are things back in Canterlot? I haven't been there since the Royal Wedding."[/colour]

Meanwhile, back in the junkyard, Dr. Stable focused his full attention on Spike, who he was still magically keeping upright.

[colour=#8B4513]"Spike, how can I be of further help to you? Do you want me to remove the trash items from the chest for you so that by process of elimination, we can find your stach of gems."[/colour]

1zq8oio.png

Sugar Apple sweetly giggled as the blushing stallion complimented her again. Truth be told, the pegasus was not as interested in the earth pony as he was with her, but Sugar Apple didn’t mind. The mare actually found the stallion’s awkward earnestness endearing in a way, so she enjoyed having him around for company.

Glad to hear that the stallion was willing to help her sort through records, Sugar Apple excitedly addressed him; [colour=#800080]“Nah, ah’m just checkin t’see what this store’s got. Ah’d be glad t’ hear any recommendations if ya’ got ‘em, hon.”[/colour] Extending her forehoof towards the earth pony for a hoofshake, the beaming pegasus added; [colour=#800080]“Mah name’s Sugar Apple! Whut’s yours?”[/colour]

[colour=#000080]It was then that the newly arrived purple pegasus seemed to notice her. Honestly, how hard was it for everypony to notice a large, blue, sparkly haired, tall, winged and horned, silver shoe shod princess? She'd been run into on the streets of Canterlot before—honestly, did she really have to be as tall and bright-coated as her sister to get noticed? Well, maybe blending in more easily with the common ponies was a good thing. At least she could go out without causing mass chaos.

“I think Pigpen has me covered.” she indicated the gray earth pony. “He's been most helpful so far. I'm sure he'll be able to help you find what you need, with the help of his friends.” By “friends”, she meant his swarm of flies, and not actually anypony present. His 'power' over them was a little unsettling, but many earth ponies did have a way with animals—or bugs, in this case.

She nodded to the Skybright's, making her way to the area of the shop Pigpen had pointed. Many of the books were dusty or stained—though when he claimed a majority of his 'treasures' came from the trash, what else should she have expected? Still, original journals or unpopular published works were a real gem, as they were singular or minimal in existence. She flipped through a few volumes, those which looked especially old or that seemed to be entirely original.

As Pigpen offered tea, Luna almost agreed right away. But as she turned to the Earth pony, she was reminded of his less than sanitary appearance and habits. “Of course I would.” she smiled politely, all the while trying to think of the best way to make her next statement. “The—the cups didn't come from the trash as well, right?” Surely Pigpen could afford proper foodware. After all, he owned a business, didn't he? And most things he sold in his establishment he got for free, from the sound of it. So he was only reaping profit. Then again, he seemed the type to want to recycle rather than spend a few bits. Luna certainly didn't want to be rude, but she was conscious of germs.

“Canterlot has been wonderful, thank you for asking. Of course, from experience, not much happens during the night, so I suppose Celestia would be the better authority.” Even if there had been another threat, if it wasn't public knowledge there was no use panicking the residents of Ponyville in a matter that didn't concern them. The princesses and the Elements of Harmony were the protectors of Equestria—and even the Elements got to live normal lives most of the time. Usually, though, the princesses did not have that luxury.[/colour]

• 2 months later...

(ooc): WHOA! Sure didn't mean to let this RP linger, let's see if we can get it going again.

[colour=#0000FF]"My name's Saddlesore," [/colour]the lovestruck blue Earth Pony said with a huge smile to Sugar Apple. [colour=#0000FF]"We could make beautiful music together... er... I mean, there's a lot of lovely phonograph records around here. I don't know how he does it, but Pigpen seems to have a way of finding the very best antiques. Must be a natural gift."[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Can't believe it!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle said in hushed tones. [colour=#696969]"Who would ever think THAT pony could be so happy? Guess it's true what they say, love conquers all."[/colour]

The elderly stallion giggled a bit as he turned to see Pigpen with the tea cart beside of Princess Luna and Dr. Stable. Hearing her concern for the cleanliness of the cups and utensils, the brown Pegasus unicorn floated them into the air towards him to give them a thorough inspection.

[colour=#8B4513]"I can assure you, your royal highness, that these cups and utensils are.. sanitary. In spite of the appearance of the server.." [/colour]Dr Stable said sternly as he glared at Pigpen. [colour=#8B4513]"I am certain Mr. Pigpen will start to take heed of my past lectures to him about... personal hygenie?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Those are definitely on my To Do list, doc," [/colour]Pigpen said as he started to pour tea out for the Princess and the others. [colour=#FF0000]"I would never, ever serve second hoof items to royalty, nor would I neglect cleaniless when it comes to refreshments, your majesty."[/colour]

Pigpen looked up sincerely at Princess Luna, hoping that his offer of hospitality would not be rejected.

Spike in the meantime was rummaging through the chest still - having completely not noticed the disappearance of Stable and the others...his eager digging unearthing smaller, more archaic and useless trinkets like an unused rolling pin, a couple of bent badges, more quills and...a small rolled up piece of manuscript that was simply addressed '[colour=#008080]To Future Spike[/colour]'

" [colour=#008080]Uh...what's this?[/colour] " Spike murmurs to himself as he unbundles the note....a small yellow gem rolls out, which Spike looks at before reading the small familiar writing on the note.

" [colour=#008080]Dear Future Spike - IOU: 1 x Sapphire, 2 x Rubies, 2 x Emerald and an amethyst...here's a yellow Glowgem to make up for it[/colour]! "

Spike looked to the name written with a grimace...the note was signed '[colour=#008080]Past Spike[/colour]'

" [colour=#008080]AGH - That guy is always two steps ahead of me[/colour]! " Spike sighs as he resigns himself to making his way back to the shop - taking a lon savouring lick of the yellow gem, as he enters the shop and casts a glance at the others for a moment, masking his disappointment by holding up the yellow gem in what he decided was a look of triumph!

"[colour=#008080] Found it, so I'll be going now - Hey, Princess...nice to see you again[/colour]! [colour=#008080]Can't stop now, since I got some things I gotta attend to back at the library...[/colour] " the dragon announced with a firm nod as he heads to the front door and opens it, giving a small wave back at those who were there. " [colour=#008080]See ya later, Ponies - maybe I'll call in again sometime or something[/colour]! "

Spike closes the door behind him and headed back to the library, munching on the gem as he makes his way back home - cursing the name of Past Spike as he does so.

1zq8oio.png

Chuckling as Saddlesore’s tongue slipped yet again, Sugar Apple jokingly replied; [colour=#800080]“Yer a silly pony, ya’ know thet Saddlesore? Anyway if thar’s any antiques hyar, maybe we can find somethin’ like a album from th' Hoof Beats? Ah’ve been meanin’ t’git myself an album from them fo’ a while now, but I’ve found nothin’ in Cloudsdale so far. Ah think ah’ll have better luck today, though!” [/colour]If Pigpen was as skilled a collector as Saddlesore claimed to be, then finding a new album will be a cinch... especially with somepony else to help!