Abra-ca-Dabra (aka FINALLY I noticed something g3 related in a episode that I don't think anyone else has)

flutterscotch

So, I was watching Luna Eclipsed and I realized that the pegasus that the MLP wiki calls "Cloudkicker" happens to be the same color, and in the same costume as a Target Limited-Edition Halloween pony called Abra-ca-Dabra that came out in 2006. Sure Abra's an earth pony, but at the time she was released there were no Pegasus ponies in g3.

Coincidence or callback? You decide. You'll also notice that there's a pony dressed as a ladybug, but that's not close enough to give me pause.

7137611595_dc3264579e_b.jpg

I really REALY wish Hasbro would release Halloween ponies again.

But just a little side-note on these ones...ifby any chance someone sees them and decides they need them. Those black costumes stain the vinyl so you can never take them off without black spots on your pony)

• Like 3

I think so, but I actually don't remember when the movies came out. I was invested in the toys. For awhile star catcher was the was the first and only pegasus (and was super expensive), and then they introduced Rarity the (pink) unicorn. But for maybe the first one or two years of g3 toys there was nothing but earth ponies. So 2003, 2004?

I might be off on the Halloween ponies, though, they were released a bit later, but the ratio of earth ponies was definitely way higher than the unicorns and Pegasus put together overall. Therr were only 2 unicorn poses and 2 Pegasus poses to the best of my knowledge vs 8 or so earth pony poses, not counting babies, breezes, etc. but don't hold me the stuff that came out post 2008 because I have absolutely no idea about anything past the "core 7".

Sorry, more like 21 earth pony poses vs. the 2 each of unicorns and pegasus, not counting special things. I didn't realize it was THAT many! It's too late at night for me to count ponies rationally. But in short, yes, for a time nothing but earth ponies. I think you can look up the waves in strawberry reef.

Edited by flutterscotch

I think so, but I actually don't remember when the movies came out. I was invested in the toys. For awhile star catcher was the was the first and only pegasus (and was super expensive), and then they introduced Rarity the (pink) unicorn. But for maybe the first one or two years of g3 toys there was nothing but earth ponies. So 2003, 2004?

The first direct-to-DVD came out in 2003... but it's possible that it only included Earth ponies. The third movie, A Very Minty Christmas (2005), seems to only contain one Pegasus pony: Star Catcher.

I though Wysteria was also a Pegasus pony, but meh. Unless you count the Breezies, I guess there were a lot of G3 Earth ponies. (I've only see a couple of the movies and was going from memory.)

The first direct-to-DVD came out in 2003... but it's possible that it only included Earth ponies. The third movie, A Very Minty Christmas (2005), seems to only contain one Pegasus pony: Star Catcher.

I though Wysteria was also a Pegasus pony, but meh. Unless you count the Breezies, I guess there were a lot of G3 Earth ponies. (I've only see a couple of the movies and was going from memory.)

Nope. Wisteria was the very first pony I bought when the line came out, and i remember it clearly because I was *so* excited about her and scoured local toy stores weekly until I found her. Definitely an earth pony. StarCatcher was a BIG DEAL when she made an appearance, but I guess she was just in time for Christmas in the second year (the direct to video you are thinking about). I just remember endless discussion (read: whining) about it on pony forums for that time where there were just earth ponies. I was better at this back then when this is how I made money (pony flipping is srs. business, or as my husband put it the "my little pony black market" or "trafficking ponies"), but this is definitely something I remember.

looking at the release indexes by years it looks like most of the ponies I actually still HAVE are from those first two years.

http://www.strawberr.../Year/2003.html

http://www.strawberr.../Year/2004.html

The first regular-release pegasus that came out, though, was in 2005.

Both poses: http://www.strawberr...silverglow.html

http://www.strawberr...conutgrove.html

All told 20ish regular pegasus, 3 weird-winged ones. two baby pegasus, then maybe 25 breezies, vs 8 unique releases of Pinkie Pie and 11 releases of Rainbow Dash alone, only counting standard g3 and not ponyville or g3.5. :)

What's really sad though is the unicorns. 8 unicorns total. That's it. Half of them pink. 12 if we count all the variants of Rarity. Also Pink. >.>

if I still have any of those unicorns, it's Whistle Wishes.

I made a checklist of all the g3 names at one point. It's around 375, give or take 20 in any direction in case I missed anything. That means and the very best, there are around 300 regular-release Earth pony characters.

*shakes fists at Hasbro*

• 5 weeks later...

Actually the stains will come out if you use the right tools. I got some strange staining out of a G1 Confetti with sunfading (putting the pony in sunlight) and a very precise "sanding" (with a nail file).

I do think that some of the artists/storyboarders/etc are fans of oldpony as well, so this could have been a nod to Abra-ca-dabra. Wouldn't put it past them.

I also miss the Halloween ponies, I was so psyched when they first released them. I never thought I'd see ponies related to Halloween in any sort of fashion, since Halloween is "scary".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like a coincidence to me. Their costumes don't look that similar, in my opinion. The G3 pony has more of a cape, whereas Cloud Kicker has more of a dress. A witch is a pretty common Halloween costume, and they would have to be more like each other for me to think it was intentional. It is a very clever catch, though.