Yet another ship thread. Rainbow Dash edition.

Rosewind

I don't have that many "head-canon" couples myself. For those I am most about, they don't involve the main characters.

Lyra-BonBon -- This is my personal favorite. Its easy also given the characters will never receive any real development in canon and can be written fully from the imagination.

Cheerilee-Big Mac -- This is honestly the closest we got to a canon ship (barring already married couples). Plus I like the idea of opposite-sex ships, next generation of foals folks!

Spitfire-Soarin' -- People may see Soarin' as dorky but c'mon he is a Wonderbolt captain! He is the Equestrian equivalent of an NFL star, plus with the two of them working together so much...

Pinkie-Dash -- This is my "crackship" that I just like drawing together; I am entitled to one crackship. :P Besides they are so adorable together.

Now I don't necessarily have anything against Flutter-Dash or Rarity-Dash, if the stories are good, but I have always envisioned Dash as straight, partly to break that stereotype that because she is such a tomboy, into sports, and with the rainbow mane she must be a lesbian. In my mind that is akin to telling a lesbian who likes dresses, makeup, and other "traditional womanly" things that she's straight because she isn't all in flannel with a crew-cut.

Pinkie though, I think she has many bedroom partners, all fleeting. :P

WHy Flutterdash is indeed a good ship: Because they each bring out the best in one another, and each fill the holes that the other has in their lives.

Both of these ponies are handfuls, huh? Fluttershy is so withdrawn and inassertive, and Rainbow Dash is often tactless and self centered. Each seems perfectly built to deal with the others' shortcomings.

Lets look at Fluttershy's relation to Dash first. It seems as though Fluttershy knows what's good for Rainbow Dash before Dash does.

In FInd a Pet, Dash seemed so certain she knew what qualities were important to her, but Fluttershy knew from the getgo that Tank was the perfect match. She never got impatient or frustrated about it. She just quietly asserted it, knowing it was the right call, until Rainbow Dash came around. Another pony might have pushed TOO hard and made Dash dig in. Fluttershy's gentle approach turned out to be the best way not to threaten Dash's ego.

Likewise, in Sonic Rainboom, even though Dash was frustrated by Fluttershy throughout much of the episode, Flut was a constant encouraging presence, and she never got upset with dash for Dash's displacement of her frustration at her own failures onto Fluttershy. It takes a special sort of pony to be like this.

Dash can sometimes get petulant (like Angel) and refuse to listen to anybody. While patience is sometimes the way to handle this, other times, stepping in is the right thing to do. Fluttershy has limits, and when she reaches those limits, she is intimidating indeed. The Stare would be a useful tool for a Dash who is acting too rashly.

Now the flipside: Dash -> Fluttershy. Fluttershy is shy, retiring, and inassertive. On many occasions Dash has drawn fluttershy out of her shell, using the best means to do so: Persistence. While it is true that Dash is often frustrated by Fluttershy's hesitance, she's shown a lot of patience for fluttershy when it has been right to do so.

In Hurricane Fluttershy, Flut was being her usual self, and as important as the event was to Dash, she knew when to press and when to be gentle. A remarkable display of sensitivity to her friends needs and ways. And in the end, Fluttershy was the better for it.

In Cutie Mark Chronicles, poor Fluttershy was beseiged by the taunts of her peers, and loyal, forthright Dash swooped right in to defend her maiden's honor. Yes, her actions in part put Fluttershy at risk, when Flut plummeted towards the earth, but Dash was also young and immature. Children are infamously distractible. Later on, as an adult Dash proves her conscientousness well enough.

It's the classic Butch-Femme relationship.

These two always come out of hard times better off. And it never infringes ontheir love for one another. What is a relationship if not these two things?

• Like 1

Now I don't necessarily have anything against Flutter-Dash or Rarity-Dash, if the stories are good, but I have always envisioned Dash as straight, partly to break that stereotype that because she is such a tomboy, into sports, and with the rainbow mane she must be a lesbian.

"Because all available evidence points to the contrary, I conclude that Dash is straight!"

idgi

Best ships...

Lyra and Bon Bon: Just adorable

Fluttershy and Big Mac: He's sweet and sensitive, but strong...just like Fluttershy. They're both good with critters and hard work too. They are both pretty shy, and have an innocent nature about them. Whats not to love?

DashPinkie: They're both silly, energetic, party people and sweetie pies! Unfortuantely, this relationship may not last long. Dash might be turned into a cupcake...

BraeRar: Braeburn and Rarity. Both dramatic, energetic, and attractive. DONE.

SpikeRar: Because dragonness is recessive, so if they have kids, they will STILL be cute ponies ;D

hi hi

The idea that opposites attract is demonstrably unrealistic. While people might ignore differences while they are madly in love at the start of a relationship, once the madly in love phase is over (usually a year or less) reconciling differences can cause lasting dissatisfaction, especially if one partner is forced to give up something of their own in order to make the relationship work.

In Find a Pet, Fluttershy goes through a whole 3:40 some minute long song about all the animals other than Tank that she thinks would be good for dash. It was Tank who had the persistence to pull through. And as for Dash digging in, Dash responds well to challenges, taking them head on. Applejack might have dared her to try out Tank as a pet and I bet you Dash would have accepted the challenge.

Having to push people to their limits in order to resolve an issue seems more adversarial than getting along~ing. It may work in the Stephanie Meyer school of romance, but throwing down to show the other who's boss is a good example of relationship strife. Just because they might kiss and make up later doesn't mean they have a stronger relationship for it, not if it keeps happening over and over again. So one of them is going to have to change their personality if they don't want the relationship to become a strain on the other. (I would argue that there is a big difference between the relationship of a parent and a child and two partners)

Rainbow Dash didn't do a very good job of getting Fluttershy out of her comfort zone. She was nearly traumatized by the attempt. If anything, her animal friends did a much better job of encouraging her and preparing her for the possibility of failure. They're the ones who helped her train and practice.

Fluttershy likes helping out and comforting her animal friends and braiding manes, but Rainbow Dash doesn't even like her hooves being touched.

That being said, I can still see Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash (or two people with similar personalities) getting along in a relationship, but not because of their differences. (No way, no how) Their similarities make them a reasonably good match for a more low intensity relationship. They both like peace and quiet, Rainbow Dash for napping and resting, and Fluttershy just about all the time. As long as Rainbow Dash's active lifestyle and Fluttershy's responsible duties don't have to get in each other's way, I could see it working.

What I want to know is what ever happened to these:

1. Best Friends

2. Loved Like a Sister

3. Close Friend for a long time

Why the 'ell do people skip these and assume "OMG LOL LOVE BLARGH MOST INDEED LOVE LOVE <3 <3". It's not realistic that all seemingly close friend are automatically in love. Even though it's thrugh fiction and fanon, some form of realism should be applied.

Best example? Lyra/Bon Bon.

"Oh look! Two ponies who spend a lot of time togethor and are always next to each other. Definately lesbian lovers. Not friends at all. That's not even remotely possible, lol."

It would be like if you were standing next to a best friend talking, and then I ran up to you and called you both lovers and then stuck by that whenever I saw you and him/her. How realistic is that?

SAME. CONCEPT.

Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on..

So FlutterDash is the worst ship ever because they are too different and have no chemistry, but RariJack are a good ship? What exactly is the chemistry there? Would you mind elaborating on that? I really don't see it.

It's not that they're too different. I like differences. On the surface at least Rarity and Dash have tons of differences after all. Maybe there's even a little chemistry between the two (not romantic chemistry in my mind, mind you, but chemistry, I suppose).

I mostly just fundamentally think they are the exact opposite of what the other needs. I think Dash needs somepony with confidence and strength of personality to match and even at times outmatch her and I think Fluttershy needs somepony willing to take it slow and always listen to her. That's why my favorite ships for them are RariDash and AppleShy. FlutterDash just seems to be more about compromising who they are to accommodate the other than I like. That would be fine to a small extent, but I just don't think it works between these two. Sometimes it really seems to me that they only get paired because they knew each other in the past (and really, the whole childhood friendship turned romance thing is a trope I've never understood the popularity of or really cared for).

As for RariJack, the growing relationship between Rarity and Applejack from look Before You Sleep to Best Night Ever to Sisterhooves Social is I think one of the most interesting and unique bonds in the show. I think there's depth there. They've slowly built up an understanding and friendship despite their differences. The idea of that going even further is exciting, I say.

Why the 'ell do people skip these and assume "OMG LOL LOVE BLARGH MOST INDEED LOVE LOVE <3 <3". It's not realistic that all seemingly close friend are automatically in love. Even though it's thrugh fiction and fanon, some form of realism should be applied.

Best example? Lyra/Bon Bon.

"Oh look! Two ponies who spend a lot of time togethor and are always next to each other. Definately lesbian lovers. Not friends at all. That's not even remotely possible, lol."

Because lesbians.

• Like 2

hi hi

I can never tell if people are being serious when it comes to shipping. :P

If Cheerilee and Big Macintosh is a thing, and Fluttershy and Big Macintosh is a thing, does that mean you could ship Fluttershy with Cheerilee too?

(Just remember the basics of how to care for an introvert. )

Never really thought about it, but I think Fluttershy and Cheerilee could work pretty awesomely. ;)

That's actually a ship I might have to look into more...

• Like 1

Hold on a tick. What's wrong with incest shipping?

Other than grooooooooossssssssssssssss?

In other news, Rarity and AJ are totes straight, and I do not support any lesbian ships involving them. Except maybe something casual with Pinkie, just to experiment a little. Or maybe just to get her to stop talking for a few seconds on a long tram ride home...

Hold on a tick. What's wrong with incest shipping?

I admit that I kind of like some incest ships a little.

Celestia/Luna is cute. :blush:

And while I wouldn't say I'm a fan by any stretch, Big Mac/Applejack and Shining Armor/Twilight actually make a little more sense to me than a lot of het pony ships.

Now hold on a bucking minute! What's with all this sex talk?

The boards are for EVERYONE. I just know that this will go much farther if we let it, which isn't okay.

Out of the mane six, Rarity's the only one with a confirmed sexuality. Meaning ANY of them could be lesbian. Which honestly, I really like. I mean, they make for adorable ships.

So why does everybody freak out about Rainbow possibly being gay? And on a similar note, why is Rarity always in strange lesbian ships?

I do realize it's fun, but we must respect the characters for who they are. If they're lesbian, that SHOULD be okay. Besides, they're adorable ponies. Don't be too concerned.

• Like 1

Out of the mane six, Rarity's the only one with a confirmed sexuality.

Where was it confirmed exactly? I don't remember her ever explicitly saying she isn't into mares. Her showing interest in stallions means just that and doesn't necessarily exclude anything in addition to that.

I happen to think Rarity works great with other mares... especially kind of boyish other mares with rainbow manes... <3

She was in love with Prince Blueblood, which in the cartoon world pretty much counts as a confirmed sexuality.

I still don't see how that proves anything with absolute certainty. She could be interested in mares too. One doesn't preclude the other.

Hold on a bucking minute here, who said anything about sexual? Yes, the implication is there, but I've never really defined "shipping" to mean just that, personally. To me, it's a pair sharing a closer, focused, and special relationship.

What is the definition of a ship, and has pony culture created a term that has different meaning to us? Discuss.

SRG: I'd be careful about dropping the term "love." I think Rarity/Blueblood was a crush, before she found out what a pain in the flank he was. Having a crush or liking someone doesn't necessarily mean that you've developed sexuality, though it is a precursor to that imho.