Summer of Pony ~ Session II [S1E04-5]

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is the best Haiku from Session I?

• There are six ponies, I guess C and L are cool, There are eight ponies
    • Re: Ticket Master, Twilight as a conductor?, I do not get it
    • Shadowbolts are fake, It was really Nightmare Moon, And speaking of fake...

utXDp.png

Summer of Pony '12 ~ Session II ~

Introduction/Schedule

Applebuck Season, Griffon the Brush Off

Welcome to Session II everypony! This thread combined with the

thread officially make a pattern!

Rosewind: Applebuck Season has to be one of my favorite episodes from Season 1. It is my go-to episode of choice when introducing new people to Friendship is Magic because it demonstrates a good taste of all of the characters, a solid story, and plenty of humor to tie it all together. Griffon the Brush Off introduces FiM's first real non-villain antagonist, Gilda, and begins to define that Equestria isn't just full of ponies as the only race, as well as a little background history of our favorite blue pegasus. We've got an exciting contest started (thank you, Artax) that should double the fun when watching Applebuck Season -- the reward is unique, and you can only win it this week only, ending on Friday, May 11th.

I'm sure we've all played pranks on other people before! What are some of your best pranks ever? Share them here in the discussion!

Finally, a little side note from Faust herself:

Originally, the episode involved "applebumping", with Applejack's loss of acuity resulting from using her head to bump apples off trees. The concept was dropped and replaced with 'applebucking."

I hope you all jump in on the applebucking, too!

At this point in the thread, you may be wondering what is going on. Why is weesh pink? Where did those terrible haiku in the poll come from? Why doesn't the link in the intro point to Session I? Well the answer to all of those questions relates to the second of today's featured episodes: Griffon the Brush Off. In that episode, there are a number of pranks, and pranks are our theme for this week! I have more to say on the subject, but first, I would like to honor some of the peoples that wrote haiku for Session I:

Finding Friends Alas

Can be like searching darkness

For something not there

All are so worried

About the extra ticket

Twilight will soon starve.

nightmare falling

hopes like glass shatter

just look within

Well done!

To join in the Session II discussion and contest, please watch:

Applebuck Season - Original Airdate: November 5th, 2010

When Big Macintosh hurts himself, Applejack has to complete the Applebuck Season alone. However, she soon learns that such a big task may be too much for one little pony to handle.

Griffon the Brush Off - Original Airdate: November 12th, 2010

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash bond by playing pranks on other ponies, but when Rainbow Dash's childhood friend Gilda (Maryke Hendrikse) shows up, Pinkie Pie becomes a third wheel. To make matters worse, Gilda has a mean streak a mile wide!

Ultimately, the purpose of this thread is to celebrate these two fine episodes. Have at it! Add in a good-natured prank or two if you are so inclined, or stand in solidarity with the Ponyvillians by taking a crack at:

Baked Bads:

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 large bag potato chips (crushed)

1 small bag gummy worms (or real worms, lol)

1 cup lemon juice

20 oz. Cola

1 tsp baking soda

2 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 275

Beat the eggs and sugar together in large mixing bowl. Slowly add crushed chips, mix well. Add lemon juice and soda. Add baking soda and about 2 cups flour, adjust more or less for desired thickness. Mix gummy worms in just before distributing into muffin pans. Bake at 275 degrees until a toothpick comes out of the muffin clean, then throw them away.

If you make these, take pictures : )

Alternatively:

Rosewind's Baked Bads that taste good:

2 cups/260 grams all purpose flour

2 tbsp chopped dried cherries or raisins. Blueberries could work well, too!

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup/113 grams (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 cup/200 grams granulated white sugar

2 eggs

Zest and juice from one lemon.

1 cup/240 ml plain yogurt or sour cream

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 or 2 tsp green food coloring

Gummy worms

Preheat oven to 400F/205C

In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until light in color. Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly. Next add the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt or sour cream, and green food coloring. Gently combine this mixture with the dry ingredients. Do not overmix or these will turn into real Baked Bads! Line a muffin pan with muffin cups, or grease them thoroughly with butter or cooking spray. Spoon or scoop in batter so the cups are 2/3rds full, and bake for 18-20 mins, or until a knife/toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. While still warm, poke a gummy worm into each muffin so that it sticks out. Yummy baked bads!

• Like 1

hi hi

Did somepony say pranks? I couldn't possibly comprehend what what you might be talking about. Its a total mystery. ;-)

Do I know you? You look oddly familiar...

I don't know about you, but I feel mighty squidly today. :/

Well you are looking mighty squidly today too. : )

I could care less about the dress

I won't partake in any cake

Vows, well I will be lying when I say

That through any kind of weather

I'll want us to be together

The truth is I don't care for him at all

No I do not love the groom

In my heart there is no room

But I still want him to be all mine!

You know, I wished Applebuck Season wasn't so early in the season. They got AJ's one big weakness out of the way so early that she just seemed to perfect to me from that point forward, in season one at least. That's why I personally never warmed up to her. I could never relate to her, she's just too competent. ;D

Why yes, AJ is the last one on my list of Mane 6 ponies. ^^;

I guess the obvious question is.. how did you keep your belly fur so pristine white? :I

Well I had to bleach the green fur, and then I started to apply the dye over the bleached area, at which point I realized I had made a terrible mistake. But it was too late to go back, so I just finished it up.

Applebuck Season is a very important episode. The pilot episodes were good but not great and I've never been a fan of TM, but Applebuck season had great humor, character moments, and overall the first episode in sequence that really makes it stand out as a show.

Also, baked bads taste awful.

Applebuck Season is a very important episode. The pilot episodes were good but not great and I've never been a fan of TM, but Applebuck season had great humor, character moments, and overall the first episode in sequence that really makes it stand out as a show.

Also, baked bads taste awful.

This. It started to really show some really fun character interactions/chemistry that didn't involve anything negative, really -- airing more to the side of slapstick, but it was done in a way that was complimentary to the story. Also the message at the end was great.

It was a bit early in the season for AJ, but she's naturally been a pretty level-headed -- albeit stubborn -- pony, hence she didn't "learn" anything she already knew in her last letter to Celestia (SSCS).

You know, I wished Applebuck Season wasn't so early in the season. They got AJ's one big weakness out of the way so early that she just seemed to perfect to me from that point forward, in season one at least. That's why I personally never warmed up to her. I could never relate to her, she's just too competent. ;D

There is the sleep over episode, but Applejack doesn't shine much in season 1. Having her around however does help the other ponies since her being played pretty straight allows them to be more outlandish

There is the sleep over episode, but Applejack doesn't shine much in season 1. Having her around however does help the other ponies since her being played pretty straight allows them to be more outlandish

I thought she was well-handled in Season 1, but yeah, three of the four AJtastic episodes were in the first half of the season. I always thought that its better for AJ if someone is introduced to the show in a non-sequential manner.

HA! I didn't see the grey text until someone quoted you!

I'm not a big fan of her either. She reminds me too much of myself...

I hope I have a chance to participate this week...

Nice avi. I really like...your mane.

The Applebuck Season episode took a great deal of focus, and it took until just now to get another viewing of Griffon the brush off in.

I was a bit shocked at this weekend. A few weeks ago, both of these two episodes were in the bottom five of season one for me. I think I am going to upgrade them multiple slots.

So what changed?

Well Pinkie and Applejack, while still my least favorite of the mane 6, have grown on me tremendously.

Consequently, it was easier to relate to those characters, and to see things for their perspective. That changes things from "wow pinkie is annoying" to "I love how much she cares about everyone else".