W&D S01EP23 - The Cutie Mark Chronicles

Tam

hi hi

I dunno about Earth Ponies (or Pegasi for that matter) not being able to get into a school for magic, I just don't think it would come up very often. Given how much magic stuff Twilight reads in books, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a non-unicorn that was a brilliant magic theorist, inventing all sorts of useful new spells, even though she couldn't use them herself. (It might even be easier for her to look at the big picture, since she wouldn't be connected to a specific type of magic)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi hi

I dunno about Earth Ponies (or Pegasi for that matter) not being able to get into a school for magic, I just don't think it would come up very often. Given how much magic stuff Twilight reads in books, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a non-unicorn that was a brilliant magic theorist, inventing all sorts of useful new spells, even though she couldn't use them herself. (It might even be easier for her to look at the big picture, since she wouldn't be connected to a specific type of magic)

That's a good point! With a talented unicorn partner, a researcher able to look at it objectively could go a long way.

On the down-side, though I felt that filly Fluttershy looked almost anorexic with how thin her legs and body were and Twilight's story – before we saw an explanation – looked a little overly dramatic.

I just saw Fluttershy's design as her being a little older than the rest and she was starting the pony equivalent of the awkward teenage stage, complete with growth spurts.

I was watching it through one more time for the heck of it and I just noticed something.

59nvk.png

I'm fairly certain that the coloring and design that was used for Twilight's mother was the original concept design that Faust had for Twilight in the planning phases of the show.

I have a question for everyone, Am I the only one that squealed when they saw a little Twilight Sparkle?

She was soo cute! (And Itty Bitty Fluttershy too.) Although I have to admit, Twilight did look a bit like an egg-head like Rainbow Dash said.

I want a little Big Mac of my own. He was so cute.

Honestly the whole episode was adorable. Never would have guessed Pinkie was Amish. That was a little odd. And I liked Fluttershy's little song. Rarity being drug around by her horn was truly lawl worthy. And Twilight... super magic powers... making Spike all huge...

I wish they had shown more pony parents though. We only got Twilight's and Pinkie's. That made me a little sad.

I was watching it through one more time for the heck of it and I just noticed something.

59nvk.png

I'm fairly certain that the coloring and design that was used for Twilight's mother was the original concept design that Faust had for Twilight in the planning phases of the show.

I have procured the photo of which you speak!

TwiligthSparkleOriginalDesign.jpg?t=1302925499

59nvk.png

:/ I think Twilight's parent's were selected at random. It would have been a perfect opportunity to do a throwback to one of the older gen ponies, but I can't think of any white unicorns with only stars for symbols.

59nvk.png

:/ I think Twilight's parent's were selected at random. It would have been a perfect opportunity to do a throwback to one of the older gen ponies, but I can't think of any white unicorns with only stars for symbols.

Twilight's original design was based on a G1 pony.

TwilightSparkleCompare.jpg?t=1302928195

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... 1302928195

There's just so much in this episode. So, so much.

The pacing was perfect. A lot was being developed and discussed here. Every mane character was developed. We got to see Spikeall grow'd up -- an inversion of the episodes "see them younger" theme. Celestia's Sunrise justified her reign. Magnificent. I get why ponies bow in her presence now.

Setting was developed. We got to see more of the familiar locations -- Cloudsdale, Canterlot, Ponyville, and got a whole different sort of setting: Manehattan's big city (the shot of AJ looking out over the cityscape, forlorn, was amazing. People don't talk about the backgrounds much, but god, they are always gorgeous).

We got a new song, sung by someone who hasn't had one yet. It wasn't my fave, but I'm sure I will grow to love it like I did with some of the others. We got an amazeballs action sequence. The Sonic Rainboom is a glorious sight to behold.

Yeah, it was terrible.

I have a question for everyone, Am I the only one that squealed when they saw a little Twilight Sparkle?

6410%20-%20animated%20twilight_sparkle.gif

She tries so hard.

This scene just cracked me up. And Twilight bouncing with happiness! Oh, Twilight. ILU, you silly pony. =)

There are no words ;3;

there just arent.

These ponies remind me of my innocence, one episode at a time. Oh how I have missed it. <3

Thank you Faust!

This! Mrs. Faust and every single person on her team have done a brilliant job on the series. It wouldn't be the same without the same voice actors, music, sound effects, animators, just...every little thing is superb! :P

I...thought I had lost my innocence. It's nice to know it's still there--it has always been there--it's just been in hiding. It's such a wonderful feeling to watch a cartoon--and indeed, look at the world--with a sense of joy and awe again.

This! Mrs. Faust and every single person on her team have done a brilliant job on the series. It wouldn't be the same without the same voice actors, music, sound effects, animators, just...every little thing is superb! :P

I...thought I had lost my innocence. It's nice to know it's still there--it has always been there--it's just been in hiding. It's such a wonderful feeling to watch a cartoon--and indeed, look at the world--with a sense of joy and awe again.

Yes, so much what I wanted to say x3

I also- think there is a possible filly derpy sighting in the episode at the *very* beginning of twilight's flashback- two pegasus ponies fly down at twilight and one of the is derpy's colors with stubby legs, and her eyes seem derped to me, but without a high-def video, I cant tell.

fillyderpy.jpg?t=1302934222

and its at about 11:57 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhXnuNP ... r_embedded

what does everypony think?

I also- think there is a possible filly derpy sighting in the episode at the *very* beginning of twilight's flashback- two pegasus ponies fly down at twilight and one of the is derpy's colors with stubby legs, and her eyes seem derped to me, but without a high-def video, I cant tell.

and its at about 11:57 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhXnuNP ... r_embedded

Looking at it full screen I say yes, because you can barely make out the bubbles cutie mark and the eyes do look "derped". Now we just need a high definition version for confirmation. :P

Looking at it full screen I say yes, because you can barely make out the bubbles cutie mark and the eyes do look "derped". Now we just need a high definition version for confirmation. :P

Second sighting: At 12:13 in the vid, lower left corner of the screen, near Celestia. You can't see her cutie mark, but it DOES look like her eyes are derped, and the colors match.

Second sighting: At 12:13 in the vid, lower left corner of the screen, near Celestia. You can't see her cutie mark, but it DOES look like her eyes are derped, and the colors match.

Ya, I caught that one, but she isn't filly-fied.

definately Baby Derp...

My thoughts:

- This is the best episode of the series so far (for FiM fans), bar none (IMO)

- Fluttershy wasn't as cute as I was imagining, but she was more realistic of a character, and I'm beginning to think that she is the oldest of the core 6.

- The core 6's younger-self ranked by cuteness IMO: (they were all adorable)

1. Twilight Sparkle

2. Applejack

3. Fluttershy

4. Pinkie Pie

5. Rainbow Dash

6. Rarity

- Addressing the problem with RD being the "center of friendship," perhaps there was something that aided RD's stunt that made her cutie mark appear, and that same element (appearing as a rainbow) aided other ponies across Equestria to get their cutie marks (of course, not limiting it to just the main characters). This hypothesis is probably too deep for consideration of a children's show. I don't think we can crown RD the "Cutie Mark Queen" just yet.

- This episode should be required for watching when creating an OC in the RP forums, because I think it will help bronies create background stories for their character(s). One of the most frustrating things I've experienced when making a character is explaining their cutie mark backstory. The storyboard in this episode does a great job outlining what a cutie mark story should sound like and may also inspire bronies' creativity in their chracter(s).

This episode should be required for watching when creating an OC in the RP forums, because I think it will help bronies create background stories for their character(s). One of the most frustrating things I've experienced when making a character is explaining their cutie mark backstory. The storyboard in this episode does a great job outlining what a cutie mark story should sound like and may also inspire bronies' creativity in their chracter(s).

Thanks to the inspiration of this episode, I actually have one now (has nothing to do with what happened in the episode itself, but it inspired me enough that it came together).