After gen 4

Mistfire

hi everypony,

so this is obviously one of the better generations of mlp that we've had so far, the show has good script, and everything else ranging from fangames to official products have been successful along with the show.

So do you think that mlp will still strive after gen 4? I feel that its a bit of a "renovation" to the brand

or maybe again, im just skeptic

I think now that the series has "found itself," I don't think we'll see a revamp on it for a long time -- though down the road I would not be surprised to see a spin off with, say, maybe the CMCs or something.

This. If you look, there was a massive thread (well massive as in huge posts) not long ago mainly with me and DitD talking about the likelihood of G5 now (and the rumors of S3 being the final season and only 13 eppisodes) and the concensus was that a new generation happens when the current one becomes "stale" and as of now there is no indication that G5 will happen any time soon.

I do still think there could be a spinoff of a series, mini-series, or movie about the CMCs, especially if Hasbro decided to go hard for the younger demographic and make the "CMC series" about their childish adventures with more 'imagination spots' and such, possibly with more childish plots and lessons, but I dont really see that happening at this point (especially since the general consensus is equating cutiemarks and puberty (i.e. certain things "growing in" - which actually fits well with the attitudes of the CMC) that makes the demographic a little awkward... but at the same time if they dont focus on that...

All that being said, as much as I hope G4 continues indeffinately, I doubt it will, and I'm curious what will happen with G5, FiM was a bit of an "Experiment" compared to the other series' so I wonder if G5 will continue the same story and animation style or if it will go back to the G1-3.5 style...)

I wonder if G5 will continue the same story and animation style or if it will go back to the G1-3.5 style...)

Friendship is Magic was made using Flash. So was G3 and 3.5. It's a small nitpick, but a detail that should be noted nevertheless.

Friendship is Magic was made using Flash. So was G3 and 3.5. It's a small nitpick, but a detail that should be noted nevertheless.

I never said anything about the program, I was talking about the style. Unless I'm mistaken, all the previous gen's used a more realistic style, while FiM is more cartoony and unrealistic.

Since Hasbro has seen the success of MLP through the G4 series, they will keep it around as long as possible until it gets stale.

Even after that, they will probably try to revamp it like a G5 version. Maybe it will be the decendants of the Mane Six, or maybe the CMCs when they're older and got their marks. There are a number of possibilities.

I don't know about everypony else, but I'll just do what I do now. But all the merch! I'm a collector of all generations, I see an official MLP item at, say, the Goodwill or Vallue Village and I get it, if I don't already own it, that is.

If they make a new show, I'll try a few episodes. If I don't like it, I'll stick to the toys and merch (like I do with G3/3.5), if I do, I'll follow the show as well (like I do with G1 and 4).

My natural cynicism tells my G5 will go back to being sappy and weak. However I like to think certain companies will remember to put art over a quick buck and make G4 the standard. I mean, just look at the Land Before Time, amazing movie turned into a sequel factory of lame pudding.