What new movies is everypony excited to see?

I'm in that age were all I see anounced feels like garbage and I just hide behind a good book... grumpygrumpygrump...

I don't think age has anything to do with it -- I think movies have really hit a decline and a lot of them are garbage, with really awesome ones few and far between.

• Like 1

Brave this Friday! Brave this Friday! I've been following it since its inception as "The Bear and the Arrow" several years ago, so...huzzah! :Luna:

I hope it's good; I haven't been thrilled with Pixar's sequelitis the last few years, so it's nice to see them finally get away from that.

• Like 1

I'm in that age were all I see anounced feels like garbage and I just hide behind a good book... grumpygrumpygrump...

Or you've hit that age where you're just jaded and expect everything to be as magical and awesome and life-altering to you when you were a kid/teen. Mass-market movies have ALWAYS been kind of garbage, with few exceptions. That's kind of their point. I mean heck, I just ADORE some movies and they set up pathways for my interests for life, but I can't pretend they're perfect. Or even good. Like Barbarella.

Brave this Friday! Brave this Friday! I've been following it since its inception as "The Bear and the Arrow" several years ago, so...huzzah! :Luna:

I hope it's good; I haven't been thrilled with Pixar's sequelitis the last few years, so it's nice to see them finally get away from that.

A fellow Cartoon Brew subscriber?

Or you've hit that age where you're just jaded and expect everything to be as magical and awesome and life-altering to you when you were a kid/teen. Mass-market movies have ALWAYS been kind of garbage, with few exceptions. That's kind of their point. I mean heck, I just ADORE some movies and they set up pathways for my interests for life, but I can't pretend they're perfect. Or even good.

A fellow Cartoon Brew subscriber?

Neigh, but I might pop on there once in a while for some quality reading. Sunny is a bigger animation enthusiast than I am -- if you saw his collection... :-o

I'm excited to see brave. And you guys who are Madagascar Fans should be excited to see the new one. I really enjoyed it.

Was it good? I never bothered with the first two! :lol:

I was really excited to see Alpha and Omega when that came out, and was very disappointed by it, so I tend to be very picky with CG movies -- or any movie in general, really.

Was it good? I never bothered with the first two! :lol:

I am a big Madagascar fan.

They have good stories, good primary characters with excellent voices, and humor on many levels. Everything from visual one-shot gags to parodies of classic things like the original Planet of the Apes. The depth and quantity of humor allows for multiple viewing as well. I think I had seen the first movie 4-5 times before I noticed that during the Lion's terrified panicking, the Zebra is performing a silly dance in the background out of pure ecstasy. I love to laugh, and they give you lots of opportunities. The first two were extremely quoteable. Normally I watch movies very intentionally for the purpose of finding new good quotes, but I got completely lost in the third, and forgot to look for quotes. It was a very enjoyable experience. Will these stand the test of time? Maybe not, but they are quite an enjoyable experience.

I was really excited to see Alpha and Omega when that came out, and was very disappointed by it, so I tend to be very picky with CG movies -- or any movie in general, really.

I was intrigued by Alpha and Omega until I saw the reviews, which scared me away. I don't think that I am very picky, but I do check reviews to see if there is overwhelming hate/disappointment.

I was intrigued by Alpha and Omega until I saw the reviews, which scared me away. I don't think that I am very picky, but I do check reviews to see if there is overwhelming hate/disappointment.

It was truly awful. I tried to watch it twice to give it a second chance, and couldn't make it through the complete second view through.

The advertising/previews for it were fantastic, though!

I was disappoint.

It was truly awful. I tried to watch it twice to give it a second chance, and couldn't make it through the complete second view through.

The advertising/previews for it were fantastic, though!

Right? The commercials made it look alright for a kids movie.

• Like 1

I don't think age has anything to do with it -- I think movies have really hit a decline and a lot of them are garbage, with really awesome ones few and far between.

Most movies have hit a sudden decline in value.

On one positive note The Hobbit.

Most movies have hit a sudden decline in value.

I don't remember a time when most movies were good. In fact, I think the average quality is rising, and we are getting used to it. When you go back and watch older movies, even older classic movies, things like the special effects, acting, pacing, and writing are noticeably lacking by today's standards. Which is funny because we mostly don't watch old bad movies, which could account for some people's impressions that they are worse nowadays. I don't long for the "good old days" prior to 1994 when neither pixar nor dreamworks existed.

I don't remember a time when most movies were good. In fact, I think the average quality is rising, and we are getting used to it. When you go back and watch older movies, even older classic movies, things like the special effects, acting, pacing, and writing are noticeably lacking by today's standards. Which is funny because we mostly don't watch old bad movies, which could account for some people's impressions that they are worse nowadays. I don't long for the "good old days" prior to 1994 when neither pixar nor dreamworks existed.

You're not factoring in that old movies were once new and cutting edge, before they became "classics." Good example -- how many people feel the first three Star Wars movies are better than the recent trio of prequels, even though their production values as movies were much broader and better-done than the first movies?

What I will say is that creativity in cinema is what is truly on the chopping block, and we've just grown used to it, hence we're ending up with a lot of sequels and book adaptions of properties/stories that already exist in other media.

It is easy to find specific examples of strong movies from the past. But what about the industry as a whole?

As far as creativity...I'm not sure.

Is a sequel less creative than the first? Hard to say (Toy Story 3).

Is a movie based on the central premise of a series of short stories less creative? Hard to say (I Robot).

Is a movie that makes a well known text-only story visually stunning less creative? Hard to say (Jurassic Park).

Is a movie steeped in nostalgia less creative? Hell no in the case of "The Artist".

Media by its very nature is cumulative. Taking a well explored idea, and giving it a twist can be majorly creative. What is more creative: to tell the story of Pocahontas with Aliens (Avatar), or to tell a completely new story with well established characters (Madagascar 3)? I don't know. The very fact that we recognize and understand much of what is going on frees the writers up to do even more exploring and creative things since they don't have to waste time explaining stuff.

Note: the above movies were chosen as examples of creative elements only.

I think it is unfair to say recent movies are less creative, because there are so many different types of creativity that it is hard to quantify.

Im 17 and I still enjoy watching movies ranging from Casablanca to One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Though Im looking forward to the Total Recall remake :D Hope they do it justice!

Yeah, there are some phenomenal old movies. I think everyone should see City Lights (1931).

Oh? I hadn't heard abotu Total Recall, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, I've read the amulet series, and at the tail end of 2011, IMDB showed that a movie staring Will Smith's kids was coming out in 2012. Now IMDB shows the year as (????), and I fear looking forward to it too much.

It is easy to find specific examples of strong movies from the past. But what about the industry as a whole?

As far as creativity...I'm not sure.

Is a sequel less creative than the first? Hard to say (Toy Story 3).

Is a movie based on the central premise of a series of short stories less creative? Hard to say (I Robot).

Is a movie that makes a well known text-only story visually stunning less creative? Hard to say (Jurassic Park).

Is a movie steeped in nostalgia less creative? Hell no in the case of "The Artist".

Media by its very nature is cumulative. Taking a well explored idea, and giving it a twist can be majorly creative. What is more creative: to tell the story of Pocahontas with Aliens (Avatar), or to tell a completely new story with well established characters (Madagascar 3)? I don't know. The very fact that we recognize and understand much of what is going on frees the writers up to do even more exploring and creative things since they don't have to waste time explaining stuff.

Note: the above movies were chosen as examples of creative elements only.

I think it is unfair to say recent movies are less creative, because there are so many different types of creativity that it is hard to quantify.

Good examples, I suppose! I think my point is beyond the scope of creativity alone. What makes a movie good? What makes a movie a classic? Is there a parallax effect where we're looking at movies we enjoyed as children from an older perspective, and we might find them underwhelming as a result?

I remember going to Disneyland California as a little filly, and found it the best thing ever. The park was endless and full of wonder. About four years ago I visited it again, and I remember telling my friend "Hmm...Disneyland seems smaller than I remember it." and she told me "Oh yeah? Well, you're bigger than it remembers you!" So true!

I have a few movies I'm keeping an eye on.

One is Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

Another is The Amazing Spiderman (looks closer to the spiderman mythos that the previous ones)

The Hobbit definitely!

Also Brave by Disney/ Pixar, The Dark Knight Rises, Total Recall, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, Dredd, and a few others.