Need Advice: Cutie Mark Medallions

ShadowMage

6 members have voted

1. 1. What cutie mark(s) should I make for the charity auction? (Please read post first.)

• Twilight Sparkle
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Applejack
    • Rarity
    • Fluttershy
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Octavia
    • Vinyl Scratch
    • Princess Celestia
    • Princess Luna
    • Zecora
    • Big Macintosh
    • Lyra
    • Berry Punch
    • Bon Bon
    • Other (Please detail below)

A while back, I had an idea: Take cutie marks and make plexiglass medallions/ necklaces with the image imprinted upon the plexiglass.

This would be, I feel, a good way to make something that looks all fancy-like, give a good way to Bronies to express their favorite character or themselves, give back to the community, and maybe even make a little money for myself. After some testing, I think I've found a process that will word adequately for my purposes. I would like to make one or several of these for the Summer '012 BronyCon's charity auction; it'd be a good way to get some publicity, give to a great cause, and gauge how interested people would be interested in the product without investing TOO heavily. My issue is, I do not know which character(s) to make the medallions inspired by. I know Rainbow Dash is quite popular, but so if Fluttershy. And at the last BronyCon, I know a custom Vinyl Scratch figure went for many hundred dollars ($500-ish I believe).

If you guys could give me some advice, both on my idea and/or who I should make the first run of medallions of, I would be ever so appreciative.

Well, so far, this is what I'm am afraid of... Dash's coloring would be the worst nightmare imaginable to for this project. More experimentation must be done!

Also, MORE RESPONSES! If you guys could do me a huuuuge favor; direct any Brony possible to this thread. I am going to need a large sample to figure out a good solution to this "problem".

I'd go with Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, or Rainbow Dash.

In terms of ease, I'd say Pinkie Pie's mark is the easiest to make while Twilight's is the hardest (this coming from someone who is drawing them).

So I'll definitely look for those when I go to BroNycon in a few weeks with my friends.

If it wouldn't be too difficult, do up the entire Mane 6. Although like others have said, Twilight's, Pinkie's, Fluttershy's, and Dash's probably rate as the highest four I can think of. Are you doing one-offs, or runs?

Also, as for colouring, why not make all the pieces separate. So for Dash's CM, you take the cloud as one piece, and each sliver of lightning as another, then the entire mark's container (either a circle, cloud, etc), arrange them all, and then cover it over with a thin sheet of Plexiglas or something similar to hold it all together, sealed around the edges maybe with a wire or something?

Sounds interesting, depending on what they go for I might throw some jinx your way...

As for most popular, I'd say Dash, Flutters, and Twilight. I'm always amazed at the number of Fluttershy fans I find.

Are you doing one-offs, or runs?

For certain people, I am planning to do one-offs: i.e. I plan to have one made for Lauren Faust at BronyCon this month. After I make that, I will destroy any materials I have of it other than a picture or two. Generally though, I plan to do "mass-produced" runs, unless of course, someone wants something custom and special.

Also, as for colouring, why not make all the pieces separate. So for Dash's CM, you take the cloud as one piece, and each sliver of lightning as another, then the entire mark's container (either a circle, cloud, etc), arrange them all, and then cover it over with a thin sheet of Plexiglas or something similar to hold it all together, sealed around the edges maybe with a wire or something?

Perhaps once I get more practice, have better materials, and maybe a bit of financial success, I can go with that idea, but given right now my complete lack of time and my inability to make something that complex at the moment, I'll likely just have to deal with dying in complex fashions.