Podcast: Canterlot Voice

CrescentBlaze

Episode 2 was even better than the first. Great job on it. :)

Got me really excited for both Iron Pony and Hearts of Equestria! Both of those sound really awesome. ;)

Having my comment read aloud was kind of embarrassing, but I appreciate it the same. Thanks for the shout out. :blush:

Oh, and if you want to mention it next time, I just started writing a new fanfic. First chapter's out now. Should have the second one out pretty soon. It's called Hunters and Tamers, and it can be found here. It's a shipping/adventure fic starring Gilda.

Just wanted to throw in a few vital corrections about the Heart of Equestria bit:

1) Heart of Equestria would be its own RP setting and world, but very much a part of Canterlot.com. It would not be a new site, just a new RP world and setting to RP in.

2) The number system is a working concept, there is no gaurantee of how we are going to work that system. Its just a consideration!

3) Heart of Equestria is a survival RP Event- set in a darker setting that will allow for a lot of different elements we havnt been able to incorporate into the Mane RP- more dramatic and edgy; basically allowing for misfortune, and corruption in a world that basically had none. Combat, theives, pirates, these types of things will be accessible in this new type of roleplay.

It sounds like a few things got mixed up or confused before making it to the podcast- but if your interested in more coverage about the event, its possible I can have a private session with you guys and fill you in- I certainly want to make sure that you all have the correct information if your going to highlight it :'}

• Like 2

if you'd be willing be a guest on the podcast for another more detailed segment on HoE manestream we'd be happy to have you! :)

and steel eagle would you mind clarifying what you mean that you disagree with the thread so we can improve?

• Like 2

if you'd be willing be a guest on the podcast for another more detailed segment on HoE manestream we'd be happy to have you! :)

and steel eagle would you mind clarifying what you mean that you disagree with the thread so we can improve?

I read the thread and my own personal, entirely unsupported opinion is that it was a giant pile of meh. There were some good posts but they were the exception rather than the rule. It isn't an awful roleplay but I certainly wouldn't have thought it a highlight.

well it was a short hand decision we picked it quickly literally 5 min before we started recording because it stood out and well we want to try to be fair. not everyone is a great rper so we want to spread the love :)

Yeah, but just remember that people on EQD and other places will eventually listen to your podcast and possibly check out the RPs you pick. In a way, you advertise the Canterlot roleplay. So if you pick roleplays that perhaps aren't all that great when there are many you can find that are quite good, someone may think that the Canterlot forum roleplay isn't all that good/interesting/at all different in terms of quality or possible content than any other site out there. It was just somewhat jarring since you mentioned Iron Pony and then in a big shocker since it will be a very big deal once it kicks off, Hearts of Equestria, and then it was throttled down to the thread of the week.

I think the discrepancy may be in how one views the Thread of the Week selection. Is it selected as something fun and accessible that listeners could join in on, or is it is an honor to be given to choice threads that deserve special recognition? It's still early, so it's not particularly well defined what exactly makes a thread Thread of the Week.

I can understand what SteelEagle is saying when it comes to this selection. it's a suitably fun concept for a thread, but a lot of threads have fun concepts. I don't see much in it that makes it really stand out as a prime example of an RP thread. I'm not going to say much about post quality. I don't try to judge on that; I RP with all sorts on this site and I enjoy most all my threads just fine, no matter who they're with. At the same time, it is pretty easy to look at a thread like the one selected with a lot of short, one-two line posts and then look back at some of the giant posts SteelEagle gives me in our RPs (an example) and some of the ones I've posted in reply and sympathize with his dislike of this selection. RPs are all going to be different, so comparing them is somewhat problematic, but at the very least different RPs require different amounts of work, and when that work is passed over for something requiring noticeably less effort on the part of the poster, it can definitely lead to frustration.

That sounds lovely- and a little bit scary haha! Perhaps I can work something out if I can get a microphone that will do the trick. If not that specifically, I would be more than happy to sit down at a time that works for you guys and do a QandA session about the topic, and/or others. Lets talk, and see what we come up with :)

I think the discrepancy may be in how one views the Thread of the Week selection. Is it selected as something fun and accessible that listeners could join in on, or is it is an honor to be given to choice threads that deserve special recognition? It's still early, so it's not particularly well defined what exactly makes a thread Thread of the Week.

I can understand what SteelEagle is saying when it comes to this selection. it's a suitably fun concept for a thread, but a lot of threads have fun concepts. I don't see much in it that makes it really stand out as a prime example of an RP thread. I'm not going to say much about post quality. I don't try to judge on that; I RP with all sorts on this site and I enjoy most all my threads just fine, no matter who they're with. At the same time, it is pretty easy to look at a thread like the one selected with a lot of short, one-two line posts and then look back at some of the giant posts SteelEagle gives me in our RPs (an example) and some of the ones I've posted in reply and sympathize with his dislike of this selection. RPs are all going to be different, so comparing them is somewhat problematic, but at the very least different RPs require different amounts of work, and when that work is passed over for something requiring noticeably less effort on the part of the poster, it can definitely lead to frustration.

Thread of the week is about more than just one thing. It will be used for more than just one purpose, so if we a thread that has some truly excellent rping and could use some attention we will do a spotlight for it. If we see a thread that looks like a lot of fun and could use some love, we will spotlight it. Like I said not everyone has the skill or necessary time to develop that skill to rp at your level and steel eagles. In fact I'd wager most members here dont have that capacity. So please keep this in mind that we are looking not just for great writing but fun and ability to be enjoyed by all. As I said if we see a thread that really deserves a spotlight for some truly phenominal rping fear not that it will have its day in the sun, and also

and yes rosewind that wiill certainly make for interesting discussion :D

That sounds lovely- and a little bit scary haha! Perhaps I can work something out if I can get a microphone that will do the trick. If not that specifically, I would be more than happy to sit down at a time that works for you guys and do a QandA session about the topic, and/or others. Lets talk, and see what we come up with :)

wonderful! :) once we get everybody together we can try to figure out the times we can get together and chat as of now its still difficult getting the group together but once everypony is on board Im sure we can figure something out

wonderful! :) once we get everybody together we can try to figure out the times we can get together and chat as of now its still difficult getting the group together but once everypony is on board Im sure we can figure something out

Great ^_^. I understand that getting everyone together at the same time can be difficult; and I've already received an inquiring pm from one of your podcast members about another topic, so perhaps we can gather a couple subjects, and focus one one at a time and spread then out some. It might work best for one or two people to gather all the questions you all have, if not everypony can be present at once too.

Thread of the week isn't really about showcasing examples of excellence in roleplaying, though. It's about showcasing a thread that someone of the podcast team found interesting to talk about.

I'm quite heavily against the notion that it should only feature "amazing" roleplay examples. That's just intimidating and even a little alienating to newcomers. At least that's how I felt looking into some of those threads with especially long and refined replies.

I'd rather see something easy, fun and approachable in that section at least sometimes.

If you guys are becoming serious about the podcast- you should listen to a few talk shows and morning radio shows for little cues that help tie things together- some things that may *seem* redundant or unnecessary can be very valuable, such as little catch phrases when shifting from one topic to another- for example the news, or the thread is the week. When introduced, add a short 5 second blurb that is constant eery show. "Thread of the week- where we bring you what's hip, happening, and hot!". Stuff like this can seem cheesy, but it has a very powerful organizational effect.

Just food for thought based on the current discussion :)

Thread of the week isn't really about showcasing examples of excellence in roleplaying, though. It's about showcasing a thread that someone of the podcast team found interesting to talk about.

I'm quite heavily against the notion that it should only feature "amazing" roleplay examples. That's just intimidating and even a little alienating to newcomers. At least that's how I felt looking into some of those threads with especially long and refined replies.

I'd rather see something easy, fun and approachable in that section at least sometimes.

And if that something at least had proper grammar and spelling, it would be fine. Not my cup of tea but also not something I'd really think about. But the thread picked did not at the very least have that. And if that sort of RP is what gets the podcast interested, might I suggest 100 Country Kisses? The posts aren't too long(most of the time), its active, silly, fun, and the majority of posts in it still have proper grammar and spelling.

And if that something at least had proper grammar and spelling, it would be fine. Not my cup of tea but also not something I'd really think about. But the thread picked did not at the very least have that. And if that sort of RP is what gets the podcast interested, might I suggest 100 Country Kisses? The posts aren't too long(most of the time), its active, silly, fun, and the majority of posts in it still have proper grammar and spelling.

It's also not very approachable since it takes getting a character approved for mane RP before you could participate in it. Just because it's not something you enjoy doesn't mean it's not a valid form of roleplay.

It's also not very approachable since it takes getting a character approved for mane RP before you could participate in it. Just because it's not something you enjoy doesn't mean it's not a valid form of roleplay.

You're bringing an entirely different topic into this, Davroth. Nowhere did I say that Free For All isn't a valid form of roleplay; I'd appreciate words not being put into my mouth, please. And unless you're saying that the Podcast team should never include Mane RP, not seeing how that should stop them.