who and what is your OC?

LunarRelic

So a question I have been asked by my friends before is how I came up with my OC. It got me wondering how otherscame up with theirs.

So as for me I made my primary OC Lunar Relic to represent part of me. He represents my curiosity, intellect, calmness, and mysterious traits. His name just came to me.

My other OC Burning Rage represents my more fast paced and reckless side and ignorant. The name just came to me. He and Lunar are like total oposites. 

So how did the idea for your OC come to you?

Most of the characters I create is based on a part of me.

Obsidian is probably the most direct translation of myself into a character, but even then there are still changes.

I also have other characters, such as Wrench Works (who represents my value of intelligence), Spanner Works (who represents my value of kindness), Rose Quill (who represents my value of honesty), Radiant Silver (who represents my morality), and Burning Fury (who represents my sense of humor).

I'll most likely make applications for these characters at some point.

Starry- The extremes of my personality and appearance.

Steam-My personality and my sensitivity to guilt and regret.

Marine-Me on my grumpy, wanna-do-nothing-days.  The colder, neutral, bored spectrum of my personality.

Candles-My first OC.  A fabulous story who's personality and (basically) everything is ironic to my life.  I tend to hide under a mask at times, and she's a Changeling.  I like to listen (but I am rarely taking what you say to heart); she's deaf.  I tend to talk too much, and she's mute.  I draw horribly, and she's a fashion designer.  

Agile-Probably most similar to be in personality.  He has a caring family, a good job, a supportive peer group and co-workers, is a maverick but not a rebel, etc..

Most of my OCs are either a part of me embodied in one character or a personality I'd like to have. Either that or something interesting I suddenly think of eg: I'm still in the middle of a gypsy OC and a lumberjack OC. My hippogriff is still in its early stage planning wise. 

Nova Burst - a Unicorn OC whose magical surges relate to his emotional state,  but also due to his lack of control. 

Smoky Gears- A Unicorn inventor.  Designed because while I wish to build complex mechanical stuff,  I cannot in RL.

Usually I just think of a thing I would like to play and make the OC, but they often turn out to reflect me in some way too. After making them I sometimes recognise an inspiration or similarity with them in something else, like a game, for example I've started getting a Commander Shepard vibe from Cyclone. Someday I might make a ponysona that incorporates most of my character.

My trio of OCs are fairly disparate but they may share some common aspects. They represent three different temperaments; Umbra prizes wisdom and capitalises an approach of getting things done himself, Cyclone boasts great strength and is sworn to honour and duty, and Garrett possesses sharp prowess but is largely detached from the world. They are an intrepid ensemble fit for fantasy escapades, but so far I have pretty much focused on everyday life with them. I also have a few more OCs to app eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

-My OC is an earthpone abomination of ponykind that loves mintiness and extreme portrayal of emotions. The true embodiment of my wild imagination. He also has a fish that is rumoured to contain a gateway into the void of another world consumed by a black hole. Also his name is Toothpaste.

-My ponysonas. Just like me, if only I was a pony. A bat-orca-pony. But nobody knows or cares about my identity outside of my trademark Toothface pone self xP

-Ralph. Wait, no. Sorry. Ralph doesn't exist.

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of career ideas and Mute just happens to fit the bill for an occupation that I'm fascinated with but will never try. The only reason I made this character take the job, is because this is my little pony, and MLP doesn't detail tragedy (which is bound to happen eventually when you work with pregnant women and infants). Of course I didn't design her entirely for the purpose of being a midwife.The occupation interests me but I actually chose her name first and built her from there.

I decided that I wanted a motherly intellect and that I wanted those two traits to clash. Being motherly and intellectual is great for her occupation, but in her personal life she's fighting her duties as a mother and her need to fulfill intellectual pursuits. I also wanted some kind of irony related to her job so I thought dumping Bristle into her care would make things interesting (A midwife who's surprised with a child she never asked for). I wanted this change in lifestyle to be unexpected and not by choice. She was almost forced to adopt Bristle but she already has an established relationship with him and she adores him since he's her sister's foal. I also wanted to reflect her name in both appearance and personality. So there you have it:

She's quiet with very soft, muted colors. She's motherly and intellectual, and uses this to her advantage as a midwife, but was forced to care for her sister's foal Bristle. Because she now has to care for a child outside of work she finds it increasingly difficult to spend time on personal interests. To top it all off, her more reserved personality makes it all too easy for her to cut everyone out of her life except for Bristle, leading to a pretty bad example of social skills and a relationship where the parent is too reliant on the child for emotional support. Bam bam, conflict! As a result she needs someone to fill the holes in her life and straighten her out, but she's a workaholic and she won't settle for just anyone.

Her magic, talent, and cutiemark were decided last. I used them to support the idea of her being a midwife and to justify her personality. Those basically fill in the gaps for questions like "Why is she a midwife?" and "Why is she quiet?" and "Why is she so focused on this and that?" Her unusual physique, being that she's small and has a stunted leg, is more like a mini character flaw/conflict that kind of adds to her need to compensate intellectually and draw her away from her interest in adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

To add:

Nightingale is the part of me that loves music.  Like, insanely love.  The part of me that just doesn't want to do anything that's not related to music, and gets all fumed up if someone insults my musical tastes.

Centurion is the part of me that loves to work.  Work, work, work, and work.  I tend to neglect a lot of things when I get really "into" my work, and my attitude starts to change.  That's basically his entire personality summed up in one sentence.

A long time ago, in a very bad roleplay, I designed a character that was just a merchant. A short, fat merchant with enchanting magic, voiced by Danny Devito. And through a combination of Requip and good gear, he utterly wrecked every opponent he faced, every last Dante-inspired swordsman and every last Vergil knockoff. It was hilarious to watch people so sure of their invincibility get wrecked, even if I did eventually get banned for "Not being a real roleplayer", as they put it. Wrecking a Wolverine knockoff with superman powers by abusing time-stop underwear and radioactive underwear on a stick probably did it.

In any case, I enjoy playing smart characters with a lot of gear. But this Light Charmer OC... he's a lot like me, though with some flaws added so he's not too perfect. 

Ooh, character insight and conceptualization, I like these!

I'm one of those RPers who doesn't ever associate my self with an OC, though as some others mentioned, sometimes I see unintentional similarities popping up. For the most part though, I don't create an OC with the intention of having them reflect parts of myself - usually, my OC ideas stem from a want to fill a certain niche in role-play, or a character idea that interests me.

Spoiler

Inkbrand - Not my first OC, but my main one. On the site where I first started RPing ponies, I got so tired of all the characters being so sweet and nice and understanding and sunshine-n-rainbows with one another that I created a pony to literally be a rude, aggressive punk. His tendency to view social interactions in completely different ways than the norm made him kind of important in getting other OCs to show different facets of their personality other than 'nice nice nice' all the time.

Nocturne Wisp - A lot of tsundere characters really emphasize the shyness they feel with profound blushing and stammering. I wanted a tsundere character who expressed himself a bit more subtly - while he still gets extremely self-aware and insecure about expressing his feelings, they're mostly shown with subtle gestures, long glances, and quiet possessiveness.

Xiphos - He was made to be a challenging OC to RP with, in the fact that his interests come and go on a whim. He's very mercurial, changing moods and interests in the blink of an eye, and I wanted a OC that other OCs would have to actively pursue/take interest in once Xiphos' initial fascination with that OC wore off. You can't always expect other OCs to chase after your own, sometimes your OC has to do the chasing.

Starlit Shimmer - I've seen a lot of OCs that have a privileged background, but because they recognize the elite lifestyle as being snobby/elitist/stuck-up etc, they despise their privileged background and leave it all behind. Shimmer was made to be exactly the opposite - she grew up in wealth, and she loves it. She's exactly the elitist, stuck-up pony turning up their nose like you might see on a the show in Canterlot. 

Yuri - Her character revolves around the idea of 'nice doesn't mean right'. Similar to some of Fluttershy's lessons, I suppose. Yuri is quintessentially 'nice'. She's kind, trusting, and friendly. But just because she's nice doesn't mean she always behaves appropriately, evidenced by the number of times she's made someone very uncomfortable by grabbing them without permission or getting into their personal bubble without regard for their comfort.

Heartless - This OC was my attempt at as close to a sociopath as I could get, without actually labeling him as such. He's cold, ruthless, and indifferent. He literally cannot associate punishment and reward stimuli, meaning that, although he might logically understand why many consider stealing to be wrong, he himself will never understand why it's wrong. I basically just wanted a cold and apathetic villain character to do dastardly stuff with.

Fabled Archives - Most pony OCs' looks reflect their special talent or destiny or name, my own included. IE 'Peppermint Sticks' would probably be a light cream pony with red and white stripes in her hair, or similar. Arc was created with the idea of a pony's looks being a complete contrast to their talent. He's a historian and a scholar born into a noble Unicorn family, but he has the build and look (and tattoos) of a vagabond or a tribesman. 

CT - Most OCs tend to do what's right no matter what others think, because that's noble and selfless. They'll stand up to bullies or berate a group for laughing at someone else. CT is the opposite, and although she's not inherently mean, she is highly aware of what others think of her because she's trying to make it to the big time. She tries very hard to stay within the 'in' crowd, and tends not to speak up for fear of losing reputation and credibility. 

Ouranos - Nothing major behind this OC, surprisingly enough. I just wanted a foal-aged character on my roster, and I happened to catch sight of someone looking at the Lore page for Chamroshes. I had no idea what Chamroshes were, but once I read the page I felt inspired to draw and then app one.

Lokelani Kahula - I put together a group picture of all my characters to put at the top of my character log, and realized that all their colors combined were pretty dull, not very varied. Lani was made to add some color to my roster. That's it.

Dawnguard - The idea of a rookie REA member who takes things a little too seriously evolved into an Owain from Awakening inspired pony. This OC has grand dreams of how to make the world a better place, and fixes himself up as the hero who saves everything and everyone. In reality, he's just a rookie guard with a good heart and a loud mouth.

Daahir N'em - I'd heard about Abada from the person who pitched their idea, Dubstep, and really liked the ideas he had set in place. When the canon-extended rules for characters went into effect, I decided I wanted to try apping an Abada. I wanted someone similar to Nocturne but not as grave as him (serious and rather broody, but not as emotionally stunted as Nocturne) so Daahir ended up being designed to somewhat resemble Zuko from Avatar: TLA.

Lián Mei - I wanted an OC who, similarly to Yuri, technically fulfilled all the requirements that tend to label a character as 'nice and kind', but had some sort of flaw that made them flounder. Mei's got those qualities - she's friendly and genuinely cares about others - but she's also inherently selfish and vain, wanting things her way and enjoying any attention she gets. She's also a pretty big coward, again contrasting the tendency of OCs to be heroic and selfless. 

Riff Raff - Another OC that was created with Arc's idea in mind, though this time the contrast was between looks and personality. Raff's a big 'ol Diamond Dog who tends not to know his own strength, but he carries around a stuffed animal and blanket he keeps wrapped around his neck as a scarf. He's pretty much a giant teddy bear, at odds with his hulking bulk and strength.

Revenant - This OC had pretty vanilla reasons for creation. I simply wanted a villain to play a WRAITH agent as. In a way, his creation became similar to Raff's, only in the opposite direction - his physical appearance is beautiful and he appears charming, but his true personality is ruthless and cruel. He just does a really good job pretending otherwise.

Kaede Katsuo - He's about as blatant a Heroic OC as one can get, his given name literally translates into 'hero'. After reading up on some lore, I wanted to app a samurai - which is pretty much what I did. Nothing too special about the idea that spawned him, other than the fact that I wanted a samurai. 

A lot of my OCs are created with the intent to contradict a lot of cliches that I see in OCs - not necessarily pony OCs, just in general. If you can't tell from my main OC, I have no problem playing characters with a lot of negative traits (and honestly, I find them both more fun to RP and more fun to RP with than the super nice, 'I-love-everyone-and-everything types of OC), and giving a character at least one major flaw is something I do for every single OC I app. 

• 1 year later...

I tend to make an OC whenever the inspiration hits me. Pecan Praline is the most like me of course, being my friendliness, desire to make other comfortable and spread smiles to those around me, and what better way to do that than ice cream? Pecan praline just happens to be one of my favorites 

Archived