Is Interest In RP Waning?

Lux

Personally I'm old school then.

i like using my imagination and writing text based RP. It gives more free reign than any console or computer based game can ever do. text RPing is also like a laboratory for my fanfic or novel writing as I can try different styles and characterizations, plots, settings, etc.

And Phil, I liked RPing with Rarity. Having fun with your other characters sould be great, too.

Silly dAsh! Roleplaying has been around since forever, it's just done in a different way. In fact, it's seen more interest and resurgence than ever before. It also depends on where you play! Since this community draws heavily on FiM for canon and inspiration to produce RP, it's slow at the moment because of summer, but I think it can only grow from here.

It's finding that happy balance that can really define what a good roleplay is, and how you present yourself and support other characters and players of various skill levels that can make the game something special.

i like using my imagination and writing text based RP. It gives more free reign than any console or computer based game can ever do. text RPing is also like a laboratory for my fanfic or novel writing as I can try different styles and characterizations, plots, settings, etc.

you summed up my views beautifully, lux :) though I will admit I do still enjoy a good JRPG from time to time still

Silly dAsh! Roleplaying has been around since forever, it's just done in a different way. In fact, it's seen more interest and resurgence than ever before. It also depends on where you play! Since this community draws heavily on FiM for canon and inspiration to produce RP, it's slow at the moment because of summer, but I think it can only grow from here.

It's finding that happy balance that can really define what a good roleplay is, and how you present yourself and support other characters and players of various skill levels that can make the game something special.

Again, Rose, I'm not just talking about this site, I've not found a good Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or fandom RP (fantoms I look at being LoZ, MM/MMX, and until a couple years ago StH, I was so desperate at one point I even tried HP RPs...) for may years, most are kiddy or "literate" I'd like to think I'm just looking in the wrong place, but... (then again the web *is* huge, so, I can't be 100% sure) mostly after ~2005 i've seen forum RP going downhill, though again, I could just be unlucky...

Having roleplayed on forums in one degree or another since 2002, I think Ashton is partially correct. Partially. Genre based forum RPing is dying in favor of more highly specialized roleplay forums like this one, which are thriving. The fact that you have Twitter, Facebook(i've seen it), Livejournal, MySpace, and a dozen messengers plus IRC competing with it means that forum RPs have to have a strong ad narrow focus. It seems counter-intuitive, but its true. This is especially true of rules-based DnD type RPing.

Freeform RPs, such as Canterlot and NationStates, are strong and/or getting stronger during this time.

I've taken an almost complete break from the internet in total. I feel horrible though, ponies are counting on me and Cainaim to host an rp, but I'm never there :scream::wail: I try to get on as often as possible, but it's difficult. Anyone else feel this way, or is this a special way Celestia or whoever is in charge of me making me sad? :sad:

But if you do a search for any kind of Forum RP, you'll mostly find 2 things: kiddy RPs where there is no plot, and most of the participants are 8-yr-olds (and not even particularly bright ones at that) or you find the opposite extreme, "literate" RPs where they expect a full page of post even if your character was asked whether he was coffee, tea, or milk... There are almost no RP sites left that are average in requirements and/or intelligence...

This is probably the biggest issue for me. I don't want to RP with a bunch of morons using chatspeak, yet it seems my only other option is the kind of place where every post is a book. I finish typing a post with as many useful details as possible, and then I still get stuck feeling like a jerk because I managed it in 2 paragraphs while everyone who replies makes an essay of it. That kind of thing makes RPing feel like a chore rather than something I do for fun.

I feel there's a similar issue with the Crossovers and Mane RP too. I.e., "everything is allowed" versus a highly detailed (and restrictive...) set of rules and lore. I'm thinking of giving Crossovers a try, but I'm honestly on the verge of quitting altogether.

Unless others are demanding you do more with tour posts, it shouldn't be an issue. If not, then you are making yourself feel that way. Two quick paragraphs that are good and contribute well won't get complaints from any decent role player.

Eh... I dunno. I don't like group RPS for a lot of reasons... i prefer 1x1 rps and have some romance involved (PG) along with action and whatnot... and after RPing for years, i've found a lot of pet peeves with RPs... so i can't seem to find the right partner...

EDIT: However if anyoen wants to do an RP let me know ^^

Eh... I dunno. I don't like group RPS for a lot of reasons... i prefer 1x1 rps and have some romance involved (PG) along with action and whatnot... and after RPing for years, i've found a lot of pet peeves with RPs... so i can't seem to find the right partner...

EDIT: However if anyoen wants to do an RP let me know ^^

You hated my Berry Punch! *swats Foxy back to 18+*

You hated my Berry Punch! *swats Foxy back to 18+*

*holds on for dear life* I'm sorry T_T There wasnt much keeping me over at the other forum so i forgot about it T_T Plus you were talking to the teacher person and i didn't really know what to do... i thought you were doing something with him so i waited... annnd it slipped my mind >_< I'll RP with you again if you want *hopeful loving eyes*

*holds on for dear life* I'm sorry T_T There wasnt much keeping me over at the other forum so i forgot about it T_T Plus you were talking to the teacher person and i didn't really know what to do... i thought you were doing something with him so i waited... annnd it slipped my mind >_< I'll RP with you again if you want *hopeful loving eyes*

There is no redemption for you! *gigglesnort*

There is no redemption for you! *gigglesnort*

Ian takes a hold of Roses hands, holding them gently as he stares into her eyes, "Please Rose... Forgive me... I never meant to hurt you." he said softly, pulling her hands up to kiss them, "I didn't forget you, i never forgot you... You are my everything..." he paused, swallowing hard. the words were repeating over and over in his head, but to say them aloud was an almost impossible task... "Rose... I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time... but... i never found the time..."

• 3 weeks later...

Heh... its typical for the RP to go into a lull in between seasons. As for me I've been concentrating more on my Pen and Paper RPs (Fallout Equestria) as of the moment but manage to sneak in a few RPs in the mane RP every now and then. Especially now that warnings have been passed along to FiM Cast members, expect the RPs to rise again. I had to post on dead threads just to formally exit The Mayor from it to avoid getting the "inactivity" warning.

Outside? Outside?! HAHAHAHAHA!! I live in mobile alabama during the summer here it is currently either thunderstorms every day or its about 90 degrees outside and so humid that it feel like your breathing through a wet towel.

At first I thought I was just being lazy, but when I have to drive somewhere i never see kids outside...everyone knows what the deal is here.

Honestly Its so bad that I cant think of a situation where if any of you sent me a msg of some sort I wouldnt be able respond within 16 hours.

I'm actually just getting my interest back. Its been gone for quite a time after some issues some months back caused me to more or less disappear from this site. I'm hoping to get into a few RPs. Might even start one of my own up and see how it goes.

I agree with the no new season thing though. It'll pick up again, just gotta wait it out.