Is Interest In RP Waning?

Lux

So I noticed recently that there haven't been many new RPs popping up as well as many dying off, especially on the Mane RP.

So, is there a waning interest in RPing?

If I'm just being silly or paranoid, you can just tell me that too!

Dude, it's summertime, at least where I am. More fun to be had outside than in wintertime. Not to mention the MLPFiM offseason.

I am sorry, but what is this "outside" you speak of? Is it some sort of video game?

What is this... "outside?"

Just kidding. Yes I know summer = less on computer.

Wow, we basically posted the same thing at the same time. XD

Winter is inside during the Summer time a lot! You should RP with him! Er, me! :D

Yeah, I am in the US Southwest here.

Well I've got eight characters running amok in Equestria. Any ideas?

It's more I have two problems at the moment.

My first problem is that I feel that if I were to go into any of the Current Mane RP with any of my characters I would be interrupting or be to far behind to catch up. My second problem is that the stories that have been suggested in the OOC area really haven't caught my eye that much.

Also I have a couple private PM RPs going on so that none of the form rules get broken.

I'd consider starting more new RP threads, but often when I try to start new threads of my own, they don't generate a whole lot of interest and end up dying, and well, I'm involved in so many already... I don't know. Guess I could try setting something new off sometime soon maybe. :/

Having RPed in many fandoms, lemme say it is very common for this to happen. No new episodes to keep the actual show content absurdly fresh in our minds as well as more freedom to go out and do things means a slow down.

I'd consider starting more new RP threads, but often when I try to start new threads of my own, they don't generate a whole lot of interest and end up dying, and well, I'm involved in so many already... I don't know. Guess I could try setting something new off sometime soon maybe. :/

Na~Phil, I'm rather keen on RPing with any of thine chars due to fact I consider you a good and suitable RPer personally. But... my OC's. I simply don't have time even to live last few months, not mentioning working on another OC's ._.

If it continues like that... My time limits... They will... They will...

Thank you Barney ._.

I'm gonna give my honest opinion, and this is about RP in general, not just Pony...

The golden age has passed, it's heading downhill, and soon will be relegated to a small pawfull of places both online and off...

Today, everyone wants hyper-realistic graphical games, as long as the graphics are good, they don't care about plot, they don't care about restrictions, they're more than happy to just play their games. Not only this, but playing those games requires little-to-no creativity. At most you have to solve a simple puzzle now and then, usually you just have to shoot everything in sight.

But if you do a search for any kind of Forum RP, you'll mostly find 2 things: kiddy RPs where there is no plot, and most of the participants are 8-yr-olds (and not even particularly bright ones at that) or you find the opposite extreme, "literate" RPs where they expect a full page of post even if your character was asked whether he was coffee, tea, or milk... There are almost no RP sites left that are average in requirements and/or intelligence... (If anyone's curious, the true "golden age" was a slice of time when almost everyone had dialup but nobody could get broadband and most of the console games had inferior graphics - that meant people were online but couldn't play any "super games" and got desperate)

The same has been happening in Tabletop since the 90s, but it seems to have gotten a revival of sorts lately, though I rather doubt it will last long.

In short:

Forum-based RP is a dieing art, it requires creativity, intelligence, patience, imagination, and to an extent, a certain amount of work - things that most of today's youth are adamantly against. Therefore, enjoy it while you can, very little new blood is coming in, and people are being forced to leave for various reasons and simply never find their way back...