Bits

Ashton

Technically Necrothreading, but since Tales linked it from a current topic I blame her! ;):P

There's one problem I see here, and that is that at tha Gala, AJ sold a pair of apple fritters for 2 bits, which would mean they're one bit each. These tend to go IRL for around $1 each, so that places the value of the bit ~ $1

Yikes, that meany was trying to charge Fluttershy 10 dollars for one cherry? That is some scary stuff... Honestly, it seems that the value of a bit is really inconsistent throughout episodes. Rapid fluctuation of value, maybe?

Or AJ was price-gouging... considering the event, she might well have jerked the prices sky-high to rip off all the 'high class' ponies that were there...

Or AJ was price-gouging... considering the event, she might well have jerked the prices sky-high to rip off all the 'high class' ponies that were there...

Editing for my facepalm moment. That sounds about right XD Although, as the Element of Honesty... Not quite sure.

I thought each bit was approximately less than 1 dollar.

It's so inconstant it's hard to tell. Although, there seems to be no big marketing companies (At least I haven't seen any). So each vendor can jack up prices as much as they wanted. XD

Although, there seems to be no big marketing companies (At least I haven't seen any). So each vendor can jack up prices as much as they wanted. XD

I was basically going to say this. I mean, if YOU grow it, and YOU sell it from your own stand... you can determine the price. I mean, if you don't have to compete with a grocery store, why not jack up the price? That could also explain the inconsistency. If each seller determines the price, it might never be the same.

Also, maybe the cherry was more expensive because it wasn't cherry season. RL fruit prices go up when it's not their season, y'know.

That makes sense. Or the cherry supplies could be running low, so they're more valuable.

Also there are only small local markets for certain foods. Like I don't think Sweet Apple Acres has too much competition with the apple market. And without global or large markets, prices stay more local. Like a cherry in Canterlot could cost more because they're all rich there.