Insomnia

kunio18

who else here suffers from this dreaded health problem and has was to beat it, i mean i get like 3 to 4 hours sleep a night sometimes none, maybe its broken sleep instead of insomnia but it still really sucks and im groggy the rest of the day because my mind wont just switch off, or i lay in bed well tired eyes closed and not falling asleep.

being restless and staring at the ceiling whilst trying to get tired enough to fall asleep really does suck :|

who else has this sleeping pattern problem or any other sleeping disorder that they might have and ways to tackle it?

I deal with it on and off. Mainly I have trouble falling asleep. I can sleep long enough if I don't have to get up, but it takes forever to fall asleep so I'm dragging after the alarm goes off at 5. (or like tonight, 2AM)

I also have back problems and one of my pain meds will really screw with my sleep cycle. So I can be out of pain and not able to sleep, or not sleep well due to the pain. Neither is restful. :x

you could try this book, it helped me a bit

ps I have had:

1) Trouble falling asleep (most common)

2) Waking up in the middle of the night at like 4am (usually combined with #1)

3) Waking up at like 6am for no good reason and not being able to sleep (total **** when combined with #2)

I have had several sleeping disorders! Still have - it started out with that I simply couldn't sleep. I was just awake at night.

It helped to listen to Rain Tracks. Just get a music playlist with rain! (an album I am using right now has several rain tracks, "Relaxing Sounds of Nature and Ambient Healing" by Sounds of Nature Relaxation.

There's also other tracks like fire crackling, crickets, birds, rainforests etc. whatever works for you!

Though since about 5 years ago I've gotten regular Sleep Paralysis, scary stuff. Including hallucinating, which is the worst.

It's pretty much like, you fall asleep, and get paralyzed. Your body is asleep but your mind is awake. You can't move, talk, and it gets very hard to breathe.

I've had it for such a long time though I've gotten used to it, but then I started getting worse attacks that felt almost like seizures :(

If anypony wants to know more about it look up Sleep Paralysis on wiki. It's good to know what to do if you get an attack!

Something that I have learned is to get into a routine. I don't mean go to bed at the same time every night (although that would probably help too). Do something that you ONLY do before bed. Never any time of the day. I used to listen to Winnie the Pooh audio books from the library. Well, one day, I can't quite remember why, but I either was curious and got a different story, or Winnie the Pooh was out and I was forced to get something else. Anyway, I picked something that was read by the same narrator, and his voice helped lull me to sleep. It wasn't the same stories, but the voice was familiar.

The thing is, your brain will get used to that one thing, and learn that when it happens, it's time to go to sleep. Another thing I did (though not quite on purpose) is play Gameboy while in bed (although sometimes I'd fall asleep with it on and the batteries would die). But I would frequently play Uno, so I was somewhat consistent in my gaming. I played something casual, not a video game that was going to get me worked up fighting monsters.

So perhaps try listening to an audiobook to fall asleep. Something calm and soothing, almost like someone reading you a bedtime story.

• Like 1

i have a friend that listens to bob ross talk on about his drawings, he says that his voice does the trick

he does have a really nice voice that really does make one nod off

and ive also heard alot about sleep paralysis, like you can see things when your awake but half asleep,. like hallucinations and apparitions that can be rather scary, but in my case its just plane ol' Mr insomnia, its a right kick in the but

• 1 month later...

...insomnia runs in my family, for whatever odd genetic reason. My sister takes a lot of melatonin and magnesium supplements. My mum usually takes a good jog and a hearty supper. My dad just goes to sleep at exactly 11PM PST every night. We all have our ways, but none of them really work for me...

...I'm the type that can 'fall asleep' but still sense things as if I'm awake throughout the night. Coffee is my savior sometimes, but it's addictive and thus not an effective solution...