New Feature: Post backgrounds.

Autumn

You can use this feature more than once in your post.

particularly handy to separate RolePlay character's conversations perhaps?

Testing this posting style.

256px-Hausziege_04.jpg

Normal text

[colour=#000000]The [/colour]domestic goat[colour=#000000] ([/colour]Capra aegagrus hircus[colour=#000000]) is a subspecies of goat [/colour]domesticated[colour=#000000] from the [/colour]wild goat[colour=#000000] of [/colour]southwest Asia[colour=#000000] and [/colour]Eastern Europe[colour=#000000]. The goat is a member of the family [/colour]Bovidae[colour=#000000] and is closely related to the [/colour]sheep[colour=#000000] as both are in the [/colour]goat-antelope[colour=#000000] subfamily [/colour]Caprinae[colour=#000000]. There are over 300 distinct breeds of goat.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]

[/colour]

another colour can be used for another character.

Usage: (where #FFFFF is the colour HEX code for the chosen colour)

[bg=#FFFFFF] Content [/bg]

Or click the Red/Blue/White/Yellow square in the post editor.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

OMG, THIS IS AWESOME!

*swings to give Artax a brohoof but misses because too excited*

EDIT: look what i did on my character log guys. It's interesting to see how salmon-y AJ's pelt colour is.

btw, i used a colour identifier program to find the hex codes, but they didnt work. I had to set it to read html codes in order to get what i wanted.

btw, i used a colour identifier program to find the hex codes, but they didnt work. I had to set it to read html codes in order to get what i wanted.

My top tip: Use Canterlot.com's colour changer (paintbrush next to the search bar) to find a colour. The HEX code is given at the bottom.

My top tip: Use Canterlot.com's colour changer (paintbrush next to the search bar) to find a colour. The HEX code is given at the bottom.

Oh cool, i didn't know that was there, but does it have the eyedropper type thing? that was most useful. I'm a perfectionist that way.

But the program I used gave me a bunch of hex codes of the colors I identified and they ended up not working to what i wanted. The Applejack orange I eyedropped ended up being a blue shade code. I had to set the program to give me html colour codes, and those are the ones that worked. I don't really know what the difference between hex and html colour codes are, but this experience tells me they're different and that html codes are the ones utilized on this site in the colour setups.

I don't really know what the difference between hex and html colour codes are, but this experience tells me they're different and that html codes are the ones utilized on this site in the colour setups.

HTML users HEX code. (so your 'html colour codes' and hex codes are exactly the same).

Called hex purely because it scales from 1234567890 and ABCDEF.

The colour codes are normally prefixed with a hash (#).

yeah i dont know. They gave me a completely different 6 digit code, all letters. Im not sure what the program difference is then. But as far as that colour thingy at the top right, I'm having problems clicking it more than once using firefox. It'll work when I chose a colour, but when I click it again, it keeps closing automatically. The only way I can correct it is if I refresh the page.

yeah i dont know. They gave me a completely different 6 digit code, all letters.

All letters is fine.

FFFFFF is white

000000 is black

Think of the letters ABCDEF as new types of numbers. We're used to numbers like 27, 28, 29, but 30 doesn't come next. 2A, 2B, 2C, etc come next up to 2F. Then 30 comes after that.

0123456789ABCDEF - 0 the lowest and F the highest number. (0 for less colour, F for more colour)

The first two numbers are Red, the next are Green and the last two are Blue. So mixing Red and Green will give yellow FFFF00 (Primary colour mixing is stuff you would have learnt as a pre-schooler).

This is so cool :kissy: I have no idea how I'm going to use this, but it's still cool!

nope, wait ...just thought of ways I could use this. A very useful thing indeed ^^

edit: still trying to figure out how it works though :x I know you explained it, I just have to interpret it properly. :razz: I'll learn eventually

[colour=#fff0f5]Found it! forgot the hash...[/colour]

I'll be the first voice acting against it, as it seems.

Dislike it due to fact that it distracts heavily from reading and wrong choice can tire the eyes quickly. Especially the brighter colors.

I mean, it will certainly be of SOME use in RP, but I hope it won't go widespread.

Rhetorical: What's easier to read:

[colour=#cc66ff]This.[/colour]

Or this.

As long as both forms seem easy to read, I somehow cannot accept how it would force me into changing my writing style.

Example:

Paragraph:

xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx, xxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx. [colour=#cc66ff]"Character speech."[/colour] xxx xxxxx x xxxxxxx. (<== Could be inner thoughts concerning the sentence.) xx xxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx x x xxxxxxxxx [colour=#cc66ff]"Character speech."[/colour]

Paragraph changed:

xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx, xxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx.

Character speech.

xxx xxxxx x xxxxxxx. (<== Could be inner thoughts concerning the sentence.)

Character speech.

(Because what will be the use of implementing WHOLE post into the background [except of multi-OC posts, which happen from time to time here, then it may be really useful])

To be honest, the only change it brings is that the site will become a bit epileptic, heh :D

And it certainly will lengthen the posts, if people will have a lot of OC sentences divided with inner thoughts and descriptions.

My point of view, grazie. We can't be all 100% sugar ^^

I'll be the first voice acting against it, as it seems.

Dislike it due to fact that it distracts heavily from reading and wrong choice can tire the eyes quickly. Especially the brighter colors.

I mean, it will certainly be of SOME use in RP, but I hope it won't go widespread.

Rhetorical: What's easier to read:

[colour=#cc66ff]This.[/colour]

Or this.

As long as both forms seem easy to read, I somehow cannot accept how it would force me into changing my writing style.

Example:

Paragraph:

xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx, xxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx. [colour=#cc66ff]"Character speech."[/colour] xxx xxxxx x xxxxxxx. (<== Could be inner thoughts concerning the sentence.) xx xxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx x x xxxxxxxxx [colour=#cc66ff]"Character speech."[/colour]

Paragraph changed:

xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx, xxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xx xxx.

Character speech.

xxx xxxxx x xxxxxxx. (<== Could be inner thoughts concerning the sentence.)

Character speech.

(Because what will be the use of implementing WHOLE post into the background [except of multi-OC posts, which happen from time to time here, then it may be really useful])

To be honest, the only change it brings is that the site will become a bit epileptic, heh :D

And it certainly will lengthen the posts, if people will have a lot of OC sentences divided with inner thoughts and descriptions.

My point of view, grazie. We can't be all 100% sugar ^^

I think you're go about it all wrong. For me, I use these backgrounds to colour my RP posts, and I make the background my pony's pelt colour and I do it for the entire part of the pony's post. The only time I change colors is if I have two characters. I still bold and recolor dialog inside the background, and its still very readable. It may look pointless to background the whole thing. But I think it adds character to what I'm writing. A visualization of the colour of ponies in a thread can kind of set the story in ways it couldn't before. This is just my opinion, I feel that a little bit of pictures and visualization in RP posts are a way to make it better. I'm the kinda guy who flips through books to see if it has any pictures, lol. No pictures doesn't mean a bad read, it just means I have less visualizations to imagine what is happening.

Look at some of my posts:

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/11539-manehattan-dungeons-ponies-magic-and-dragons-closed/page__st__20#entry291034

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/3867-the-storm-pm-for-invite/page__st__60#entry291030

and my character log

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/561-riverhippos-epic-character-log/#entry6238

@ River: Beforehand I've had a black description on white background with clearly visible speech marked with different colour. Right now I have no default 'white' colour what disturbs me to no limit because it forces me to search for colored speech on variously colored backgrounds. Not mentioning my mind seems to be 'allergic' on some colors as backgrounds.

I don't ask you to understand why it disturbs my focus and concentration, but simply to acknowledge that the issue exists for at least one person :(

I completely agree it proves itself useful with multiple characters, but for instance I see no point in using this form when we deal with one OC of a given user at a time.

You know you can use a white background. It may seem pointless, but you'd be surprised how a text box improves the appearance of your post.

For me, its more of a long term goal. In one of my threads, there are a lot of other characters, and Applejack is the focus. She posts once every 5 posts or so, but sometimes its more, sometimes its less. If someone needs to find reference to the last thing AJ said or did, all they have to do is speed scroll until they see my colour. It's just a slightly better way to identify the posts.

And text colour can be useful even without background colors. I recommend everypony use bold and colors for dialog, for it allows people to get the juicy parts of the post. It's important to read all of the post, but the dialog is the most important in terms of character interaction.

In a way, I can see how someone would see a lack of need for colour backgrounds. But I'm willing to go several steps in order to make my posts look a little bit better.

For anyone experimenting with the backgrounds, I have noticed that the default black isn't actually black, its like a dark green. If you change your regular black text to the colour black (not automatic) it will be easier to read.

default text colour

[colour=#000000]black text colour[/colour]

You know you can use a white background. It may seem pointless, but you'd be surprised how a text box improves the appearance of your post.

Heh... Yep. All four of the characters I post as the most ended up getting white as their background colour when I assigned colors to all my characters. At first I thought this would be kinda pointless, but after using it a while, I think it really does make the posts look nicer. :)

I think the backgrounds are a really neat feature, and I've had a lot of fun using them so far... as can probably be seen in all my recent RP posts, my character log and even on my recent app form update. ;)

Heh... Yep. All four of the characters I post as the most ended up getting white as their background colour when I assigned colors to all my characters. At first I thought this would be kinda pointless, but after using it a while, I think it really does make the posts look nicer. :)

I think the backgrounds are a really neat feature, and I've had a lot of fun using them so far... as can probably be seen in all my recent RP posts, my character log and even on my recent app form update. ;)

what a showoff :P

btw some of those in the logs probably need revising, like Snow's. For her, I would make the text blue a little darker.

what a showoff :razz:

btw some of those in the logs probably need revising, like Snow's. For her, I would make the text blue a little darker.

Heh. :lol:

I dunno. I'm sure people are already used to Snowfall's dialog making their eyes bleed. Not sure it needs to be changed now. :razz: