Unicorn Magics!

Bronynumber299

Me and my friend where discussing this: Does the colour of the unicorns magic say how powerful it is?Because Celestia is the most powerful well next to Chrysalis and nopony else has their colours(Oh and Twilight).Then Trixie and Rarity have roughly the same.So I was just thinking this and I want your thoughts.So yeah just food for thought!

I don't think the colour of a unicorn's magic is any indication of how powerful they are. Celestia's magic is probably yellow only because her cutie mark is, but that's just my guess.

I'm still waiting for in-show confirmation that anyone can see the magic. If it is only so the viewers can understand what is happening, it would explain why Chrysalis could use green magic without raising an eyebrow.

That was my thought as well.

However magic tends to match the eyes or the cutie marks. Except with evil ponies whose magic is green it seems.

Hmmm all of these points are true and very interesting.Well I DO have another question.Does using magic have any effect on their body?Like does using magic make them tired or something?

I'd say yes. Two reasons come to mind...

1) boast busters: twilight looked physically strained while performing her magic.

2) sonic rain boom: twilight was physically drained after conjuring the wings for rarity, and even stated that it was too difficult to perform more than once.

Hmmm all of these points are true and very interesting.Well I DO have another question.Does using magic have any effect on their body?Like does using magic make them tired or something?

Taking Celestia and Twilight out of the picture, I think that unicorn magic is only draining on the average unicorn's body if the spell they are casting is particularly advanced for their level. I doubt that using magic to do something simple as opening a jar or carry their things around causes your average unicorn to crash and burn. Maybe for unicorn foals learning to fully control their magic for the 1st time could be a strain on them, but not so much an adult unicorn. Since Twilight has advanced magical ability beyond other unicorns and Celestia has all the magics, they both can get away with casting stronger spells without draining themselves as easily. (With more effort coming from Twilight of course since she's still learning.)

Well, the FlimFlam brothers DID have evil green eyes, not sure about fake Cadence though. If everyone can see it maybe a case of 'don't question the physical goddess/princess?

Having played Shadowrun on and off since it came out, and with all this talk about magical drain bringing it to the forefront of my mind, maybe unicorn magic can only be seen by magically active ponies or creatures? (i.e. Alicorns, other unicorns, changelings and maybe Zecora?)

Also, nipping through 'A Canterlot wedding' and others to have a look at the magical aura's I saw the scene where Shining Armour says that Cadence has been using her magic to heal him. Nopony bats an eyelid so is it an established ability for Cadence, an act of love for the Alicorn of love or.... is general 'magical healing' canon?

"You'll have to stay off that broken limb for a few days"

Well, the FlimFlam brothers DID have evil green eyes, not sure about fake Cadence though. If everyone can see it maybe a case of 'don't question the physical goddess/princess?

Having played Shadowrun on and off since it came out, and with all this talk about magical drain bringing it to the forefront of my mind, maybe unicorn magic can only be seen by magically active ponies or creatures? (i.e. Alicorns, other unicorns, changelings and maybe Zecora?)

Also, nipping through 'A Canterlot wedding' and others to have a look at the magical aura's I saw the scene where Shining Armour says that Cadence has been using her magic to heal him. Nopony bats an eyelid so is it an established ability for Cadence, an act of love for the Alicorn of love or.... is general 'magical healing' canon?

"You'll have to stay off that broken limb for a few days"

I'd hope so! That is the basis of my OC Razor Gears. I mean it makes sense... If the magic can affect the physiology of the patient than it should be able to expedite the healing. Increasing bloodflow, enzymes, antibodies, healing factors... and so forth. It makes total sense to me....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On this note, I'm interested in how Unicorn Magic... umm... actually works.

Every time we see it, all we see is Twilight or somepony just concentrate really hard. So I wonder: why do they have to read about spells, if apparently all magic is, is willing it into existence?

(I have a theory that they're doing some sort of mental chant, or visualizing glyphs or something)

Magic is a pretty complicated thing, and there's lots of ways to spin it. I do think the willpower of a unicorn is able to affect their magic, but not necessarily what the spell actually does. A strong-willed unicorn may be able to draw on magical power even in situations where other unicorns may have already given up or been pushed far past their breaking point, and may be able to coax more intense effects out of their spells, but spells themselves have been shown over and over again as things that need to be learned and practiced.

A lot of magic, when you think about it, is the simple mimicking of things that can already happen naturally, though often pushed to an extreme--moving things, changing things, and so forth. For a spell to work, I suspect that a unicorn must familiarize themselves intensely with how these things might normally occur, and then substitute magic for the forces involved. Since, say, moving an object is relatively simple and primarily requires energy, it is a common and easy spell. Something like turning one thing into another thing, however, is more complicated, because based on how different the two objects are, the magic has to do more work to make one like the other on a fundamental level, and must supply the energies necessary to make the change happen.

All of this stuff has probably been condensed into some kind of magic-math--or runes and sigils, if you prefer!--that explain the mechanics in common terms, and these are what must be studied and memorized. They're likely also incomprehensible to someone who doesn't know how to read that kind of thing (like calculus :scream: ), unless the spell is one that is simple enough to be described in usual English (or whatever ponies speak) instruction. How good you are at reading and understanding this, though, has no bearing on your natural magical talent, and a very learned unicorn may yet struggle with powerful spells simply because of a deficiency of magic, even if they understand how the thing works. Twilight is such a powerful spellcaster because she's both very smart and very naturally skilled.

It could be that a unicorn's natural magical 'stores', so to speak, can be expanded with practice, but given the nature of the show and the world, I suspect that other things play a role, too, such as the character's virtues. Friendship is magic, after all! The introduction of 'dark magic' also seems to suggest that usual magic is inherently good, and so probably tied to positive attributes.

I will note, of course, that this is entirely theory, but I like to consider it a relatively sound one.

Does using magic have any effect on their body?Like does using magic make them tired or something?

I don't have any head-canon towards all the unusual spells happening, but I love applying Eragon magic rules to levitation. Therefore: Picking and throwing a small rock at insane speed wouldn't be as hard as pushing somebody away or lifting him. It gives a nice connection to physical strength. If you want something done, search for simplest solutions which require small amounts of energy. Also, the further the object is, the more concentration and strengths it requires naturally.

The levitation magic is limited by physical strengths you have. It's a nice way of thinking which gives me a nice border on "what my unicorn would be able to do actually". And if I see others around doing stuff I'd consider impossible for my head-canon, I simply blame the lack of practice and ignorance towards natural gift my OC possesses.

My 1&3/4 cent.

in my head canon, the ponies preforming the spell is like them thinking, like picture this.

a unicorns horn is on the head right?

so does that mean that the pony can channel its brainpower into the horn, and like, a special magical gland in the horn turns that brainpower/willpower into raw magic?

for instance twilight is a very smart pony, therefore she has a better grip on magic and how much power she has, celestia and luna are smarter than twilight, well most likely, considering that they have been around for so long, you would tend to pick up some stuff.

thats my headcanon, for the whole power level situation