The Iron Giant and other childhood movies

So I'm watching the "Iron Giant" because I use to LOVE that movie when I was younger. Hogarth was adorable, Mr.Mansly was a douche and Dean was that hip artist guy. All centered around a giant Robo from outer space. Do you remember this movie? What other movies do you remember watching from your childhood? Tell me your favorite parts of the Iron Giant!

Other movies I enjoyed was "All Dogs go to Heaven" 1 and 2 "Oliver" "The Land Before Time" all of them. Some others I can't remember at the current moment. So share your memories with me! :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Not in any order.)

All Dogs Go To Heaven

The Land Before Time

The Brave Little Toaster

The Secret of NIMH

Thumbelina

Once Upon a Forest

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Black Beauty

Babar

Balto

FernGully: The Last Rainforest

The Rescuers

The Rescuers Down Under

Beauty and the Beast

The Little Mermaid

Cinderella

Snow White

101 Dalmatians

An American Tail

An American Tail: Fieval Goes West

Milo and Otis

Charlotte's Web

Bambi

Felix the Cat The Movie

Dumbo

The Jungle Book

Aladdin

The Fox and the Hound

The Lion King

Lady and the Tramp

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Peter Pan

Pinocchio

Alice in Wonderland

Pocahontas

Rock-A-Doodle

Toy Story

Robin Hood

My favorite movie before I was in Kindergarten: The Dark Crystal. This year I went to a Jim Henson exhibit and they had many props from that movie and I almost started crying (it was Cantus from Fraggle Rock that totally put me over the edge) Sadly, I did not see Labyrinth until I was a teenager. Which is a little baffling because my mother loves Muppets, and David Bowie, so I'm shocked I didn't see it in theaters.

My younger brother's? BEASTMASTER. I have seen Beastmaster 8 million times. If I hear even a nanosecond of it, I know it instantly. I can be in another room, someone can be rapidly switching channels and I will be able to tell it is on. Ditto for my dad. Some of my earliest memories are my Dad telling my brother to cover his eyes when Tanya Roberts gets naked.

Other faves from ages 3-12 that were taped off TV and watched until they basically exploded. I was not a Disney fan (and still hate any of the Xeroxed ones, the style just bugs me) :

--The Neverending Story,

--Fantasia (actual VHS) (which I watched every morning before school for a year for some reason, until I got ...

--Beauty and the Beast VHS the next year),

--the Black Cauldron (which was basically all thorough a book until they finally released it on VHS.)

--the Secret of Nimh,

--Watership Down (even though it scared the **** out of me the first time I saw it...which for some reason the sadistic WPIX Station showed on EASTER one year),

--The Adventures of Baron Munchausen,

--Twilight Zone: The Movie,

--House (cheesy horror movie, with Bull Shannon from Night Court),

--The Gate (another cheesy horror movie),

--Krull (oh dear God I love Krull, it's so horrible),

--Clash of the Titans,

--The Hobbit and Return of the King (the Rankin-Bass versions)

--Dot and the Bunny (had satellite for a year, and this was on constantly)

--The Sea Prince and the Fire Child. This being an interesting one because I actually only watched it once. On my 6th birthday, and then proceeded to obsess about it for about 20 years until I finally figured out WTF it was.

--Poltergeist

--National Lampoons Vacation (which I watched as long as I can remember and then when I was 11 for some reason my step dad decided I couldn't watch R-rated movies, after an entire childhood of no movie filter at all)

--The Goonies (duh, I would not be a proper child of the 80's if I didn't wear out Goonies)

-- Beetlejuice

--Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss (Made for TV movie, a sequel to A Christmas Story)

-- And for some strange reason I loved the movie 9-5 when I was 7. Yes the one starring Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton.

I think the ones I watched most as a child, and I mean repeatedly, had to be:

-"An American Tale" and I think the second one was called "An American Tale; Fivel Goes West"

-"All Dogs go to Heaven" (The second one too, but I like the first one better)

-"The Land Before Time" (Man, I always cried when Little Foot's Mother died >< )

-"We're Back" (That one with the dinosaurs and a museum)

-"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (This counts, right?)

And Um...

-"The Great Mouse Detective" (... Sherlock Holmes as a mouse. I think this is what it was called.)

As for the Iron Giant, I have two parts; the one when they go to the lake and the giant does the canon ball and when he's flying off to destroy the rocket. I like the lake scene because the face on Dean as he hid behind the newspaper to try block the giant tsunami was priceless. The last scene, well, it just tugged at my heart strings the way he flew up there wanting to be like superman ><

Nightmare Before Christmas

The Princess Bride

Labyrinth

Time Bandits

The Dark Crystal

I've seen most of the others that have been brought up, but those 5 are easily the ones that I loved the most as a kid, and they still hold up fantastically. Unlike, say, The Last Unicorn or Ferngully, both of which I have rewatched fairly recently and was disappointed by.

Does anypony remember James and the Giant Peach?

oh god... that $^&$ed me up so bad, it scared me as a kid. i can't watch it, even now i can'

t get past 12mins.

I have yet to watch James and the Giant Peach. Its on my "to do" list, somewhere >_>;

What I wouldn't mind watching again is the Nightmare Before Christmas. THAT scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. It wasn't the skeletons or the ghost, no no, it was the Mayor and his freaky two sided spinning head. Him and the boogie man's kidnapping squad.

Hmm, guess I want to see it again to see if it still freaks me out XD

I actually ended up watching the Iron Giant again on Netflix thanks to this post, lol.