If you post other people's art...

Autumn

If you post other people's art with no way to prove you have full rights to as your own, (Artists will normally credit the person who commissioned them, for example)...

[colour=#a52a2a]You will be publicly branded a THIEF and most likely banned.[/colour]

Copying other people's artwork (tracing and/or re-colouring etc) is also NOT your own original work and not welcome in the gallery.

Take inspiration from other sources.

Use other people's work to help you learn how to draw.

But copying or just tracing a "vector" from stills from the show is lame as heck and you're not learning ANYTHING. (for a start you're looking foolish by calling it a 'vector' when you're submitting a rasterised .jpg)

I know we can't all practice drawing from still-life etc, but go find a photograph.

Just don't trace it! You'll learn nothing and won't develop any skill. Any primate can trace and colour inside some lines.

post-374-0-36331000-1360601446_thumb.jpg post-374-0-65557800-1360601810_thumb.jpg

Give actual art a try! After a few months of sketching and drawing, you might find a topic or style that really fits you, rather than a copy/paste imitating still-frames from the show style.

Would you like us to set up a public gallery where you can submit other (non-mlp) art work?

• Like 2

It should be noted that the regular Draw friends feature on Equestria Daily virtually never has vectors, but when they do it is vectors that are not traced from the show but drawn either from inspiration or completely original poses or characters.

Would you like us to set up a public gallery where you can submit other (non-mlp) art work?

Yes, I think a crossover gallery, or a non-pony gallery would be great.

Coming from someone who doesn't submit art of his own, I think it would be cool if the gallery had a neat tagging system so that different kinds of arts could be filtered by subject, rather than artist. Generally, this is already in it, but its not used very well. It would also be cool if a user could customize his or her gallery updates to show arts that he 'follows' rather than any art that is submitted that day. Unless I'm missing something, I do not see that kind of option available.

Yes, I think a crossover gallery, or a non-pony gallery would be great.

Coming from someone who doesn't submit art of his own, I think it would be cool if the gallery had a neat tagging system so that different kinds of arts could be filtered by subject, rather than artist. Generally, this is already in it, but its not used very well. It would also be cool if a user could customize his or her gallery updates to show arts that he 'follows' rather than any art that is submitted that day. Unless I'm missing something, I do not see that kind of option available.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post! A crossover gallery would be awesome! Maybe a scraps gallery too for tutorials and references?

:geek: I arted!

Seriously, though. I used to use vectors all the time. Literally, I'd sit around wasting my time not even slightly altering images other than filling in colours. I wish I could have those hours of my life back. They didn't improve my skill, they didn't help me develop style, they were lame fun. I'm a person who likes a challenge, personally, and I realized that if I wanted accomplish 1000 hours of art than I'd need to actually challenge myself and try new things. Thanks for creating this rule, I'd hate to see others waste their precious lifetime with lame colour-swaps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you weren't kidding. Folks have been banned already :!: I mean, I was certain you were serious in the first place of course, but woah. Heads up, art thiefs. Beware Canterlot administration's firm grip of the google search engine! :artax:

To be honest, I can't even think of plagiarism. That's an actual crime in real life and you can be fined or jailed.

Usually I just do a "pre-draw", which is drawing out the "skeleton" of the pony, then draw the actual body and all that. (Pony bodies are not that hard, just two circles that are close together and connected at the tops and bottoms.)

It's best to watch how someone else draws, that can help you if you're still a newbie on drawing. That's what I did, actually.

One thing: Is someone still considered an "art thief" even if he or she, say, cites or acknowledge another artist for using his or her art in any way (even as a reference)?

:geek: I arted!

Seriously, though. I used to use vectors all the time. Literally, I'd sit around wasting my time not even slightly altering images other than filling in colours. I wish I could have those hours of my life back. They didn't improve my skill, they didn't help me develop style, they were lame fun. I'm a person who likes a challenge, personally, and I realized that if I wanted accomplish 1000 hours of art than I'd need to actually challenge myself and try new things. Thanks for creating this rule, I'd hate to see others waste their precious lifetime with lame colour-swaps.

It was DOWNRIGHT despicable!

Pinkie_Pie_and_Madame_LeFlour_S01E25.png

Sorry, I HAD to do that...it felt so fitting.

• Like 1

One thing: Is someone still considered an "art thief" even if he or she, say, cites or acknowledge another artist for using his or her art in any way (even as a reference)?

Well, if you look in the first post, Aria used a picture as a reference. Yes, it was a real photograph, and he made a more cartoony version. However, in no way did he directly copy the image by tracing or changing a few colours and claiming it as his own. I don't think it's technically stealing if you do the same with someone else's art, however... wouldn't you prefer to be original, and come up with your own pose, rather than use what someone else did? Referencing is fine, but if you're trying to copy the same image using your own style... like I said, just make something unique instead.

Since I have not gotten a reply yet, let me rephrase my Q;

Despite my ability to draw these for myself, I have art of my characters, done by other artists as gifts and trades. am I allowed to post those in my gallery as long as I state who did the art for me?

Since I have not gotten a reply yet, let me rephrase my Q;

Despite my ability to draw these for myself, I have art of my characters, done by other artists as gifts and trades. am I allowed to post those in my gallery as long as I state who did the art for me?

Yes, as long as they are original work and not copies of still other artists work themselves.

Luckily for me, I don't do visual art at all. ;)

You can still of course do art. Drawing art will not be considered a burden at all just because there are just rules enforcing the copyrights of your art. Of all things, you should be happy that there won't be people plagiarizing your work.