Alistair Goldmane [READY]

Dio

Alistair Goldmane

It’s not the takedown, it’s the thrill of the hunt!

RP Type: Mane RP

Name: Master Gunnery Sergeant Alistair “Goldy” Goldmane, also responds to “Gunny” or “Master Guns”

Sex: Male

Species: Griffon

Art courtesy of Elderflower!

RShNzHJ.png

Big cat colour scheme: White tiger

Raptor colour scheme: Harpy eagle

Eye colour: Green

Physique: toned, but not massive. Built more for endurance than raw strength.

Residence: Born in Talonopolis. Currently operating out of Stalliongrad.

Occupation: Former Aquellian Marine. Currently first mate of the airship Artorius and security chief when required.

Character History

The Goldmanes are a large clan living in the canyons of Aquellia. Though the clan has members throughout the country, the vast majority of them live near Talonopolis. The families run the gamut from factory workers to hunters to schoolteachers to Aquellian Marines. Alistair was born into a rural family near the outskirts and thus learned from an early age to be independent, self-sufficient, and keenly observant of the land.

Alistair grew up hunting and fishing in the Raptorclaw's alluvial plain. His family hunted, fished, and farmed the land for sustenance while his father and brothers worked in the Talonopolis factories. When he came of age, Alistair was encouraged to venture beyond the canyon confines on his fledgling pilgrimage. While some Goldmanes elected to venture out into the world on their own, Alistair was proud to count himself among those who enlisted in the marines. He was assigned to an airship that traveled overseas, giving him the taste of adventure he’d always wanted. After years of service, Alistair was honorably discharged with the rank of Master Gunnery Sergeant.

Upon his return, Alistair found himself burdened with ennui. All that could be done in his provincial life at home could not compare to the things he had seen and done on board ship across the sea. One day, while perusing additional employment opportunities in Talonopolis, Alistair discovered a flier requesting experienced former military griffons and ponies to staff a security company that guarded cargo running between Talonopolis and Stalliongrad. In his travels, Alistair had heard much about the city in the north. While he couldn’t care less about its industrial districts and shining spires, the unspoiled wilderness surrounding the city proper tempted him. Thus, with only a few words for his family, Alistair was off again, this time to Stalliongrad!

When he arrived he was amazed by the city's sheer size, diversity, and opportunity! It was even better than the recruiters had said! The company, a subsidiary of Kalinka Shipping, quickly assigned Alistair to the work pool where he was soon assigned to the airship Artorius under Captain Sturmovik. Though the good captain came off stern and uncompromising, the marine and the mariner soon warmed up to each other and became fast friends. To this day Alistair serves Sturmovik aboard the Artorius. He relishes in the adventure that seems to follow that ship, like an albatross, wherever it may venture.

Character Summary

Alistair has a special affinity for the great outdoors and a wide array of survival skills to go with it. In the wilderness, Alistair can always be counted upon to be able to start fires, set up camps, render them safe, and identify safe and unsafe food and water sources. On shore leave, he enjoys pub games like cards and billiards.

Despite growing up around Talonopolis and now living in Stalliongrad, Alistair has a strong dislike of the inner city. He very much prefers natural surroundings to the forests of glass, steel, and dead wood that comprise the larger cities in the world. The stuffiness of social functions and the need to be in suits or formal wear to even get in is a severe turnoff to a griffon who spent most of his career in ghillie suits or flight jackets.

The former marine is adventurous, gregarious, and always looking for something new to do. He loves the feel of the wind through his feathers and the thrill of taking game. Because of his hunting and military background he is adept at the use of bow, spear, and blade, though these days he prefers to do his fishing with a fishing rod. Age has mellowed Alistair out but not taken the vitality from him.

Note: This character is a rework of a character that I originally created, but gave away the rights to. The former player, Pony_Sage, has in private conversation given me back the rights to the character. Record of this can be found in Alistair's old application. This transfer has been authorized by Manestream.

I like this app Dio, it is very good and well rounded, but I only have a few things I would like to suggest to you... (I am no Helpstaffer, so this is not final)

• The Nickname "Guns" or "Gunnery" probably won't fly, due to the lack of any guns in Equestria. (Believe me I have searched!). My suggestion, change the name to "Gallantry" instead.

• The "Aquillan Marines" might not work either. As far as I know, it's not approved lore yet. I'd say just put military.

• The term "thrill of the hunt" and "takedown" kind of worried me there. Hunting what? Taking what down? This implies violence, at least to me.

• This ties into my next suggestion, you say "bow, spear, and blade " as hunting instruments. I know that you and I both know how it went when I tried to give on of my OCs a sword in Mane RP. :-|

Okay, that is all I have to say. Remember, this is not final, for I lack the honorary title of helpstaffer.

I like this app Dio, it is very good and well rounded, but I only have a few things I would like to suggest to you... (I am no Helpstaffer, so this is not final)

• The Nickname "Guns" or "Gunnery" probably won't fly, due to the lack of any guns in Equestria. (Believe me I have searched!). My suggestion, change the name to "Gallantry" instead.

• The "Aquillan Marines" might not work either. As far as I know, it's not approved lore yet. I'd say just put military.

• The term "thrill of the hunt" and "takedown" kind of worried me there. Hunting what? Taking what down? This implies violence, at least to me.

• This ties into my next suggestion, you say "bow, spear, and blade" as hunting instruments. I know that you and I both know how it went when I tried to give on of my OCs a sword in Mane RP. :-|

Okay, that is all I have to say. Remember, this is not final, for I lack the honorary title of helpstaffer.

This is a gryphon.

I feel like that needs saying here because under these circumstances, everything present is necessary. You question the wording when plainly, to the nature of this species even, they are terms that do not imply unnecessary violence, as you say, but their way of life. The nicknames dealing with the word Guns are perfectly fine due to his rank. When someone is a particular rank, even informally, they'd more often than not be addressed by their rank unless someone close to them had first name privileges. Master Chief from Halo for example. Known as the Chief, Demon, 117 etc. But never John.

I don't claim to know or understand your last situation regarding getting a weapon into Mane, but I highly doubt that with the purposes he's stated here, that the "bow, spear and blade" need to be nitpicked at. Mane RP does keep in mind a number of things from the show, but as we've seen, there is a healthy amount of realism that I don't see the reason to sacrifice here.

Regarding the Aquellian Marines, Dio's got plenty of more lore experience and work put in than you, no offence meant. If it's a thing here, I'm sure it'll be a thing somewhere else.

Let's not point the finger and try and fix what ain't broken, shall we? :D

• Like 1

This is a gryphon.

This is a gryphon, in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Just because he happens to be a different species of creatures, still means that they have to follow the same non-violent mentality.

I feel like that needs saying here because under these circumstances, everything present is necessary. You question the wording when plainly, to the nature of this species even, they are terms that do not imply unnecessary violence, as you say, but their way of life. The nicknames dealing with the word Guns are perfectly fine due to his rank. When someone is a particular rank, even informally, they'd more often than not be addressed by their rank unless someone close to them had first name privileges. Master Chief from Halo for example. Known as the Chief, Demon, 117 etc. But never John.

I know where you are coming from, really I do. But my only issue with that, is that the rank mentions something that...

1. Doesn't exist in Mane RP
  2. Is too violent for the mentality of Mane RP.

By mentioning the word "Guns" in an application, implies that it exist in the given Mane RP lore. Regardless of context. And Halo wouldn't be such a great example. As it is a rated "M" first person shooter, and this is a show based on pastel coloured ponies.

I don't claim to know or understand your last situation regarding getting a weapon into Mane, but I highly doubt that with the purposes he's stated here, that the "bow, spear and blade" need to be nitpicked at. Mane RP does keep in mind a number of things from the show, but as we've seen, there is a healthy amount of realism that I don't see the reason to sacrifice here.

Of course you won't. You weren't there silly! :razz:

Anyways, based on past experience, I could whole-heartily say that any sort of real melee weapons is almost a hundred percent no in Mane RP. I have had plenty artillery fire lobbed at me, for putting in a sword for recreational use. Meaning non-violent. Diomedes says that Alistar's use of weapons came from Hunting (Killing of animals or lesser beings for food or sport). I could see some Mane RP fallout in that.

Regarding the Aquellian Marines, Dio's got plenty of more lore experience and work put in than you, no offence meant. If it's a thing here, I'm sure it'll be a thing somewhere else.

More lore work? Sure. More Lore experience? Debatable... but besides the point. :smug:

Anyways, last time I checked, the lore that stated Aqueillan Marines was in the "Lore Proposal" section. Meaning not approved yet. I think everybody on this site should follow proper lore procedure, regardless of position of power.

Let's not point the finger and try and fix what ain't broken, shall we? :D

Notice how I didn't go out and blatantly say... "Hey Dio, your app is too violent for Mane RP, and it's all your fault!"

But instead, politely suggested changes to the app, due to my own past experience of getting my apps corrected by RP staff members. I am not saying that this app is broken at all. Heck, it's well written indeed. But I am simply suggesting to him possible changes, that is all. Not trying to start any firefights here.

No seriously, if you want to further discuss this with me, PM me please. I don't want to continue any sort of discussion in somebody else's app.

I didn't expect this to cause such a stir. Thank you for your suggestions, Templar, but I will defer to RPH judgment on whether or not actual changes need to be made.

Templar, since it might allay accusations of some double standard, let me address your concerns before I proceed.

1. Master Gunnery Sergeant is an actual rank in the marines, and as a rank doesn't really necessitate anything more than the character being between a master sergeant and sergeant major in the marine hierarchy if what I'm reading is correct. This app doesn't mention the character having or using actual guns of any sort. It's just a rank, and as such it is fine.
  2. There may not be approved lore for the Aquelian Marines at the moment, but the military for Aquelia is not defined and as Dio is a trusted member of the Lore Builder team he will almost unquestionably have a say when it comes time to write new Aquelia lore. It is reasonable to assume something similar to the proposals I've seen from him will be what is ultimately utilized. On that basis, I would consider it permissible.
  3. Hunting violence is not something we need to concern ourselves with. Griffons unlike ponies are predators. Hunting is a reasonable act for them to enjoy. Unless it were to suggest the character was hunting ponies or other completely sentient creatures or partakes regularly in some other form of violence (which it does not), it does not constitute the sort of thing we need concern ourselves with.
  4. Intent is key when it comes to mentions of weaponry. Weapons on their own are not so strictly disallowed, it's the implied intent we need to monitor. A single line detailing weapons a characters knows how to use, with the implied use for them mainly being tied to things like hunting and fishing is very different than having a character be a sword slinging knight with a set equipment list.

That out of the way, I think you have a very solid character here Dio. Everything checks out with me, so...:

AppApproved.png

• Like 2

You forgot 5. When giving application critique, worry less about what is allowed, and more about the character design. Staff are here to determine what is allowed in applications for WoE, using more factors and thought process than you may realize.

This character looks great, Dio. I'm glad to see another of your quality ideas embrace our roleplay.