(Golden Oaks Library)A Spark of Intrest(SteelEagle, Open)

IceStorm

Fire Heart had decided it was time for her to see the world outside of Canterlot. As a filly she was content with the big city she grew up in as it was enough for her. But lately upon hearing the wonders of Ponyville from a unicorn named Ice Storm the red unicorn decided to visit the nearby town. As she made her way down the street, drinking in all the sights sounds and even pleasant smells of food vendors she came upon an unusual sight: a building created in a tree! It wasn't some tree house but actually a place within the trunk. Upon closer inspection the older filly saw that it was not just a house, but a library.

"A library huh. This has to be the most interesting looking library I've seen. At least the one at Princess Celestia's school looks like a building. Maybe I can stop in and see what they have."

Opening the door with her magic, the red unicorn was greeted by a strange sight. There a griffon was what appeared to be purusing the bookshelves. Although Fire Heart had not met a griffon, he seemed friendly enough, albeit looking like he was trying to hide something. There was a much stranger threat of a stallion who had his head down and horn glowing like he was ready to attack the griffon. Immediately her protective instincts kicked in as she stood in front of the griffon, a flame erupting from her horn, encasing it in a cone of fire.

"Listen sir, I don't know who you are but I don't think you want to start any trouble in such a nice place. I like books a lot and i don't want to see any get damaged. So I'll make you a deal, I'll lower my magic if you do the same. Deal?"

Fire hoped though as she stood her ground that she wasn't taking the wrong side of the issue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well, I started using this particular spell when I was in Canterlot. Even with being on a mountain, the summers were still a bit warm for me so I originally designed this sort of manipulation to act as a personal cooling device by casting a thin layer of Ice around myself. I found that if I made it thicker, I could also make it stronger, and last longer on some of the warmer days. I didn't originally realize the protective properties that it had until one day I wasn't paying attention and fell down a few steps at the academy. I was too busy eating a snow cone and actually forgot that the steps were there..." she giggled a bit. "When I landed though, the Ice around me was cracked so it fell off rather quickly but it nothing hurt. Thankfully I don't have to use it for that purpose too often though. Not like I go around planning to need armor or anything," she smiled before hearing yelling coming from the room next to them. "Speaking of..." she moved over to the door and looked in the next room.

Shining Armor was apparently agitated with a griffon that had come in and was taking a book off of the shelf, though for the like of her she couldn't figure out why. This was a Library right? Wasn't that... kinda the point of this place? She did however hear another voice address Shining. One that she recognized. She looked down to the crimson filly that was protecting the griffon. "Fire Heart?" Ice asked more for confirmation that in curiosity.

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

Twilight loved her brother enough to allow him to go after whatever piece of sauce was ruining her good hygiene record. It had happened, would happen again. Even when they were both still foals her brother had always been protective and caring of her and she thanked the stars every night that she had somepony as special as him to be her brother. Thankfully she had no shame and continued to listen to Ice as she talked about her first experiences with the protective properties of the spell.

"Thanks, BBBFF," Twilight replied sweetly as Ice finished, Twilight putting the pieces together herself to decipher the connectoral meaning.

It was good to hear that she learned the protective facets of the spell by accident. More than a few dozen incidents in recent years of protective magic backfiring and harming the user or others were the results of ponies stretching their abilities unnaturally and trying to do what they could not. At the very least, it was within her natural capabilities to modify her magic to such a degree and that showed a sublime level of control over her magic, If she could fine turn the rest of her aetheral connections with the Eqeuestrian conduit, who knows how well she could use her magic? The sky was the limit in all honesty, and that was an exciting prospect. Finally, she was helping somepony who had a great deal of skill already. No more basic magical theory for this mare!

"Well, at least the spell saved your keister from a bruise. No better way to figure out you have such great control than that, I believe," She said with a smile, relishing the aftertaste of the noodles long after they were gone. She needed some more. More more more. Would need some more later. She had an increased appetite ever since she became an alicorn and those noodled had kicked off a hanerking that she couldn't suppress. What did do it was the commotion up above. Odd. She wasn't expecting any trouble today, which considering how tightly she kept her schedule threw her for a loop.

So se trotted upstairs, leaving the basement and the machinery behind to confront whatever unusual activity was prepared to steal her attention. And as she reached upstairs, it did just that. Her brother, who had so very recently been caring enough to clean her teeth, was now being something of a troublemaker. His stance told the story. The griffon was leafing through the books- or, well, he was, owing to whatever he was doing now due to Armor. And a third pony, a red unicorn, had her horn encased in leaping flame. Ice approached and knew the pony- why was this happening, again? Twilight put her mental detective hat on and pieced it together. Red unicorn aimed at Shining, Shining at the Griffon, Griffon at nopony. Shining's voice was the first Twilight had heard as well...uggh, she loved her brother and while she knew his specialty was protective magic, he would do well to be less protective of her. Twilight approached the griffon, not concerned much about any threat from the red unicorn- likely walked in on Shining doing what he did.

"I'm sorry about this. My brother can be protective at times. And a silly stallion as well. My name's Twilight Sparkle, and I am the librarian here. Is there anything I could help you find?"

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

In the back of Shining's head was the contemplation of a possible curse. A curse that basically involved trouble always surrounding him and his loved ones every time Cadance and he spent any time with sister Twilight Sparkle. And of course, he would never blame his sister, nor would he ever bring it up. He wouldn't want to jinx what might be a perfect time to spend with his beloved sibling, but also because he didn't want to have another argument with Twilight on the legitimacy of curses and their existence. She played the best skeptic Shining has ever known.

Instead, when Twilight gave small a princessly belch, Shining smiled at the elegance of his sister. It wasn't as traditional as Celestia and Luna, but he rather enjoyed the lower key tone that both she and Cadance brought to royalty. It brought a relaxed tension in Shining's ability to play his own role, but of course, he figured it also brought identity to towns ponies and lit inside of them that they can truly be whoever they want to be. Shining was proud of that honesty, even if a burp wasn't really intended. "Twilight, you got something on your... here, I'll just get it." Shining levitated a napkin, dipped it a cup of water, and wiped Twilight's face where a little sauce from the pasta dish had been accidentally slapped onto her face. The moment brought back so many memories.

Suddenly, Shining heard something going on in the next room. Something was going on. Shining immediately stood up from the table and walked towards the room slowly. He turned the corner with his horn glowing to ready a powerful protection spell. When he jumped through the doorway, he spotted a griffon looking at a book. Shining had no conclusions to jump to, but he would take the precaution. "What are you doing!?" Shining stood there in an attack stance, his horn ready to shoot at any moment.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Razor had been prepared that maybe somegriffon would walk in. What he hadn't been prepared for was the sudden appearance of a stallion, combat ready and shouting at him. The shock caused Razor to lose his balance and his wings to go stiff in surprise....and being in the air....causing him to fall.

"Ahh!" He said, before hitting the ground.

"Ugh, what the-Ouch!" He screamed as the book he had been holding caught up to him and hit him on the head, before falling to the ground open for all to see.

Razor groaned and rubbed his head thinking, 'I'm starting to think I was really bad in a previous life.'

He shook his head and took notice that the stallion was looking at him like he was the enemy, and he was quick to get up and ready himself for a fight....until somepony walked infront of him.

Fire Heart had decided it was time for her to see the world outside of Canterlot. As a filly she was content with the big city she grew up in as it was enough for her. But lately upon hearing the wonders of Ponyville from a unicorn named Ice Storm the red unicorn decided to visit the nearby town. As she made her way down the street, drinking in all the sights sounds and even pleasant smells of food vendors she came upon an unusual sight: a building created in a tree! It wasn't some tree house but actually a place within the trunk. Upon closer inspection the older filly saw that it was not just a house, but a library.

"A library huh. This has to be the most interesting looking library I've seen. At least the one at Princess Celestia's school looks like a building. Maybe I can stop in and see what they have."

Opening the door with her magic, the red unicorn was greeted by a strange sight. There a griffon was what appeared to be purusing the bookshelves. Although Fire Heart had not met a griffon, he seemed friendly enough, albeit looking like he was trying to hide something. There was a much stranger threat of a stallion who had his head down and horn glowing like he was ready to attack the griffon. Immediately her protective instincts kicked in as she stood in front of the griffon, a flame erupting from her horn, encasing it in a cone of fire.

"Listen sir, I don't know who you are but I don't think you want to start any trouble in such a nice place. I like books a lot and i don't want to see any get damaged. So I'll make you a deal, I'll lower my magic if you do the same. Deal?"

Fire hoped though as she stood her ground that she wasn't taking the wrong side of the issue.

Razor was surprised by the sudden appearance of the unicorn mare, and he actually took a slight step back from her. His defensiveness now gone and his usual discomfort around girls replacing it.

"Uh...thanks for the back up but...I'm okay." He said. He wasn't exactly sure he wanted to get into a fight right now. Especially in a public building. And especially not with unicorns. Magic was just something he preferred to not get hit with.

Twilight loved her brother enough to allow him to go after whatever piece of sauce was ruining her good hygiene record. It had happened, would happen again. Even when they were both still foals her brother had always been protective and caring of her and she thanked the stars every night that she had somepony as special as him to be her brother. Thankfully she had no shame and continued to listen to Ice as she talked about her first experiences with the protective properties of the spell.

"Thanks, BBBFF," Twilight replied sweetly as Ice finished, Twilight putting the pieces together herself to decipher the connectoral meaning.

It was good to hear that she learned the protective facets of the spell by accident. More than a few dozen incidents in recent years of protective magic backfiring and harming the user or others were the results of ponies stretching their abilities unnaturally and trying to do what they could not. At the very least, it was within her natural capabilities to modify her magic to such a degree and that showed a sublime level of control over her magic, If she could fine turn the rest of her aetheral connections with the Eqeuestrian conduit, who knows how well she could use her magic? The sky was the limit in all honesty, and that was an exciting prospect. Finally, she was helping somepony who had a great deal of skill already. No more basic magical theory for this mare!

"Well, at least the spell saved your keister from a bruise. No better way to figure out you have such great control than that, I believe," She said with a smile, relishing the aftertaste of the noodles long after they were gone. She needed some more. More more more. Would need some more later. She had an increased appetite ever since she became an alicorn and those noodled had kicked off a hanerking that she couldn't suppress. What did do it was the commotion up above. Odd. She wasn't expecting any trouble today, which considering how tightly she kept her schedule threw her for a loop.

So se trotted upstairs, leaving the basement and the machinery behind to confront whatever unusual activity was prepared to steal her attention. And as she reached upstairs, it did just that. Her brother, who had so very recently been caring enough to clean her teeth, was now being something of a troublemaker. His stance told the story. The griffon was leafing through the books- or, well, he was, owing to whatever he was doing now due to Armor. And a third pony, a red unicorn, had her horn encased in leaping flame. Ice approached and knew the pony- why was this happening, again? Twilight put her mental detective hat on and pieced it together. Red unicorn aimed at Shining, Shining at the Griffon, Griffon at nopony. Shining's voice was the first Twilight had heard as well...uggh, she loved her brother and while she knew his specialty was protective magic, he would do well to be less protective of her. Twilight approached the griffon, not concerned much about any threat from the red unicorn- likely walked in on Shining doing what he did.

"I'm sorry about this. My brother can be protective at times. And a silly stallion as well. My name's Twilight Sparkle, and I am the librarian here. Is there anything I could help you find?"

When Razor saw the alicorn, and he knew it was an alicorn due to the wings and horn, he almost had a heart attack.

'Oh shoot! Is this the home of a princess!?!' He thought. Now he could add some level of stress to his dish of problems. He had to salvage this situation before this royal thought less of his kind because of him!

He cleared his throat and stood straight before saying, "Sorry I-" but he stopped midsentence when the princess, a mare, came up to him.

"Toolosetooclosetooclose." He said rapidly as he backed up till he was against the wall. He tried to keep his breathing calm, but he was clearly feeling massively stressed and uncomfortable now.

'Blast! Why me!?!' He thought. Quick! He had think of something!

"I...I...uh...you...I.." He stammered, before finally whacking himself across the face with a talon and shaking his head. He cleared his throat before proceeding to speak.

"Uh...its no problem. I'm sorry if I was trespassing...I was just here to...." Razor then noticed his book and his heart literally stopped. NO! NO ONE COULD SEE IT!

He quickly grabbed it and hide it behind his back, "Just uh...looking around....certainly not reading." He chuckled uneasy. He was just....a very....terrible....liar. Only Pinkie really ever fell for his lies.

And it could be very noticeable by all gathered that Razor, was not exactly tall...In fact he was a head shorter or so then Twilight.

Several things happened within a short period of time. First, the griffon seemed shocked and immediately scared. Second, a red unicorn came running in coming between the griffon and Shining. Third, the griffon fell down from where he was. What was he holding? And fourth, While Ice Storm came up to recognize one of the unicorns, Twilight also came up, with the first expression of asking the griffon questions as if she was a librarian. Well, it was supposed she still was very much a librarian.

Shining lowered the magic from his horn and lifted his head up in a yielding stance. But his eyes continued to glare suspicion on the griffon. And the red pony, why she so quick to help? Shining immediately understood that he jumped too quickly and assumed an issue was ahoof. But this griffon still had something up his feathers, and Shining wanted to find out what it was. "Sorry, I thought you were snooping around without permission. What is it you got there?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

When one sometimes does something, they forget certain key facts that could make a pony think otherwise to what they do or say. In her haste to defend the griffon, Fire Heart forgot that the pony that she now faced with her horn blazing was none other than Shining Armor, a pony that was well known in her home city of Canterlot. Why the whole city was in an uproar with his marriage to Princess Cadence that even if those ponies weren't invited to the ceremonies or reception they still felt the need to share in the joy.

In a short time things just seemed to become stranger as Fire Heart saw a familiar face of Ice Storm appear, probably shocked to see her in such a position. At that moment the griffon, who was surprised at the older filly's heroics, fell to the ground. But the biggest surprise was another familiar face appearing, this time Princess Twilight Sparkle! On one hoof the unicorn was elated to meet such interesting ponies and griffon but reality hit home as she had just basically threatened a Captain of the Guard!

"Oh I'm so sorry," Fire said quickly extinguishing her flame like a pony blowing out the flame on a candle, "I thought that this griffon was being picked on and I guess my protective side took over. But then I realized now who I was facing. Great, here I am facing against the Captain of the Guard and in the house of a Princess no less. Can you forgive me for being a little hot headed, literally?"

2mcczdx.jpg

Library Day!!! Once about every two weeks or so, Derpy Hooves made plans in her schedule to visit Golden Oaks Library, the local book-lending institution. From a young age, this shining example of the pegasus kind learned that to keep her mind sharp, she needed to read, and read constantly. Because Derpy feared that buying books whenever she wanted something new to read would cause a clutter-up in her aerial home, she thought that borrowing books was a very swell thing.

Derpy’s admiration of what libraries offered oftentimes ended up a double-edged sword for whoever librarian that the pegasus dealt with. From poor library manners to forgetting about books she needed to return, the mare could be very much a nuisance. Even as she trotted into Ponyville’s library today, Derpy forgot the fact that she had a comic book to return today; an anthology of some vintage Supermare stories. Comic books were always fun for the googly-eyed mare; non-stop thrill combined with interesting artwork. How can anypony go wrong with that?

So instead of being a mindful pony who remembered to bring her book, Derpy Hooves simply went over to a random shelf to look for a new book to borrow. She’d look at the title of a book, decide she wasn’t interested today, and then place it back without any sort of regard for where it was originally positioned. Derpy never got the chance to understand the rationale behind why books on a shelf needed to be organized in an ultra-precise manner. As long as it was on a shelf, anypony could find a particular book, right?

• 2 weeks later...

It took a moment for Ice to piece together everything that was happening here. To be honest, she wasn't sure if she could accurately depict what was going on as Twilight began speaking about her brother being a bit over protective, the Griffon who was for some reason petrified of Twilight. Of course with how her brother had just acted she could actually understand the griffon being scared. He was even going so far as to thing that he was doing something wrong by hiding a book behind him and said that he wasn't reading. Of course, once Fire Heart realized that it was Twilight and Shining Armor and that she was unknowingly threatening the captain of the Royal Guard. Ice couldn't help but let a small giggle loose inside her at the thought.

"I'm pretty sure that all can easily be forgiven. After all, we are in a public library after all. Last time I checked, I remember it being legal to read in a library," Ice giggled. "Also," she said turning to the griffon. "There isn't really a reason to be afraid of Twilight. Even if she's a princess now, she's still Twilight. She just has a lot more responsibility now. Of course, I don't really know her that well myself, but from what bit I've been able to talk with her today, she's really nice and understanding. She was actually just helping me with a bit of my magic!" she smiled to the others hoping that would help ease the nerves of everypony in the room.

The griffon certainly seemed to panic a bit when he realized what exactly was going in and who he was speaking with. Unfortunately, Twilight was getting accustomed to these sorts of reaction now that she had become a princess. Her life was seemingly a play for some where they were supposed to react in some theatrical fashion, but she was just a pony with simple desires and one of those was that she not be made to feel awkward. Of course, he must have felt just as awkward to be acting this way. the way he hid whatever he was reading spoke volumes as well. Princess was in front of him an he had reading material he was ashamed of for some reason. Well, griffons may have had sharp talons but their hearts were as soft as an Equestrian. Twilight scanned the room- missing book, shelf three, section four, number twelve. War of the Seven Roses. A good work, full of drama and romance. Was nominated for the esteemed Golden Quill Award but lost out.

"No reason to be nervous. This is a library- as Ice said," Twilight started, turning to her friend and smiling, "it is a public library as well and it is quite legal to read. And please, don't lose yourself because of my title. It is just that. Anyway, War of the Seven Roses is a fine book. If you'd like to borrow it, you can just keep hiding it behind your back and I'll make the note in my log later," Twilight finished sweetly, also noting that her brother and the fire unicorn were making peace as well. Everything was fine. Good, which is why Derpy came in right about then.

She was a sweet mare and was one of the few who had a particularly reliable schedule in more ways than one. Every two weeks she would stop by and borrow a few more books. Sometimes they were of higher caliber but there many other times that she just grabbed some comic books. Well, less comic books and more graphic novels and trade paperbacks as it was a waste of a confined space to have single issue comic books laying around. Also every two weeks she would have to have a talk with Derpy about what books needed to be returned. And every two weeks she would have to immediately follow up her visit with reorganization or else Spike would have to. She paid no heed to her casual slaughter of the delightful system they had set up, her casual disregard for it more maddening than most. In any case, twilight wouldn't be rude.

"Hello there, Derpy! Is there anything I can help you find?" She asked suspiciously, slowly levitating towards the pair a certain folder.

Fire waited for what she thought would be the inevitable punishment for her quick actions, but instead all she got was a chuckle from Ice Storm.

"I'm pretty sure that all can easily be forgiven. After all, we are in a public library after all. Last time I checked, I remember it being legal to read in a library,"

"Heh, yeah your right it is a public place, except for the fact of well having a unicorn aflame in a place that could easily go up in flames. Didn't really think that through, but then again that's how my magic works."

The next thing was a surprise to the red unicorn. Ice Storm, the mare she met a short while ago in Canterlot was receiving training from Twilight Sparkle.

"Oh that's so cool Ice. Seems like you're in the right place at the right time. So what are you learning? Something about your ice magic?"

She then noticed the griffon was indeed trying to hide something, a book that Twilight deduced somehow. From the sounds of it the book appeared to be some kind of romance one.

"Hey, you don't have to worry about hiding the book from us. We're not going to laugh at you or anything."

In her attention to Ice Storm and the shy looking griffon, Fire almost forgot the two sibling ponies in her midst.

"Oh where are my manners. I came in here without even saying a hello. I'm Fire Heart by the way. You can guess what my talent is, right?"

She gave a cheeky smile hoping that everything was smoothed over and nopony was afraid of her ability.

Several things happened within a short period of time. First, the griffon seemed shocked and immediately scared. Second, a red unicorn came running in coming between the griffon and Shining. Third, the griffon fell down from where he was. What was he holding? And fourth, While Ice Storm came up to recognize one of the unicorns, Twilight also came up, with the first exp<b></b>ression of asking the griffon questions as if she was a librarian. Well, it was supposed she still was very much a librarian.

Shining lowered the magic from his horn and lifted his head up in a yielding stance. But his eyes continued to glare suspicion on the griffon. And the red pony, why she so quick to help? Shining immediately understood that he jumped too quickly and assumed an issue was ahoof. But this griffon still had something up his feathers, and Shining wanted to find out what it was. "Sorry, I thought you were snooping around without permission. What is it you got there?"

It took a moment for Ice to piece together everything that was happening here. To be honest, she wasn't sure if she could accurately depict what was going on as Twilight began speaking about her brother being a bit over protective, the Griffon who was for some reason petrified of Twilight. Of course with how her brother had just acted she could actually understand the griffon being scared. He was even going so far as to thing that he was doing something wrong by hiding a book behind him and said that he wasn't reading. Of course, once Fire Heart realized that it was Twilight and Shining Armor and that she was unknowingly threatening the captain of the Royal Guard. Ice couldn't help but let a small giggle loose inside her at the thought.

"I'm pretty sure that all can easily be forgiven. After all, we are in a public library after all. Last time I checked, I remember it being legal to read in a library," Ice giggled. "Also," she said turning to the griffon. "There isn't really a reason to be afraid of Twilight. Even if she's a princess now, she's still Twilight. She just has a lot more responsibility now. Of course, I don't really know her that well myself, but from what bit I've been able to talk with her today, she's really nice and understanding. She was actually just helping me with a bit of my magic!" she smiled to the others hoping that would help ease the nerves of everypony in the room.

The griffon certainly seemed to panic a bit when he realized what exactly was going in and who he was speaking with. Unfortunately, Twilight was getting accustomed to these sorts of reaction now that she had become a princess. Her life was seemingly a play for some where they were supposed to react in some theatrical fashion, but she was just a pony with simple desires and one of those was that she not be made to feel awkward. Of course, he must have felt just as awkward to be acting this way. the way he hid whatever he was reading spoke volumes as well. Princess was in front of him an he had reading material he was ashamed of for some reason. Well, griffons may have had sharp talons but their hearts were as soft as an Equestrian. Twilight scanned the room- missing book, shelf three, section four, number twelve. War of the Seven Roses. A good work, full of drama and romance. Was nominated for the esteemed Golden Quill Award but lost out.

"No reason to be nervous. This is a library- as Ice said," Twilight started, turning to her friend and smiling, "it is a public library as well and it is quite legal to read. And please, don't lose yourself because of my title. It is just that. Anyway, War of the Seven Roses is a fine book. If you'd like to borrow it, you can just keep hiding it behind your back and I'll make the note in my log later," Twilight finished sweetly, also noting that her brother and the fire unicorn were making peace as well. Everything was fine. Good, which is why Derpy came in right about then.

She was a sweet mare and was one of the few who had a particularly reliable schedule in more ways than one. Every two weeks she would stop by and borrow a few more books. Sometimes they were of higher caliber but there many other times that she just grabbed some comic books. Well, less comic books and more graphic novels and trade paperbacks as it was a waste of a confined space to have single issue comic books laying around. Also every two weeks she would have to have a talk with Derpy about what books needed to be returned. And every two weeks she would have to immediately follow up her visit with reorganization or else Spike would have to. She paid no heed to her casual slaughter of the delightful system they had set up, her casual disregard for it more maddening than most. In any case, twilight wouldn't be rude.

"Hello there, Derpy! Is there anything I can help you find?" She asked suspiciously, slowly levitating towards the pair a certain folder.

Razor felt his heart stop when Twilight spoke aloud the title he was reading. Could things get any more embarrassing.

"Th-I-" Razor groaned and whacked his head several times with the book, "Fine I was reading it. So what!"

Razor growled. He hated when secrets about himself ended up on display like this in front of strangers. His attitude took a sour turn as he gave a feline snarl and clenched a talon.

"But if any of you tell anyone this, I'll personally eat you!" He snapped, anger taking control of his brain. Now maybe this wasn't a bright idea, but he was a bit miffed.

He scowled before flying up and putting the book away. He wasn't in any mood to read now.

"Can things get any worse." He muttered to himself before landing. For once he even felt as small as he was in height.

After lowering his horn, he realized the red unicorn was both embarrassed and honest about her involvement in defending the griffon. Shining had gone too far this time. Maybe it was just in his realizing of all the strange occurrences that happened when he was around Twilight that made him more prone to some sort of attack. And Shining didn't distrust griffons completely. However, if they had started a quarrel with pony kind, he wouldn't be too surprised. "Oh, no need to feel sorry. I shouldn't have jumped like that. You were doing what any pony with the power to protect would do. As somepony who is actively searching for those in need of protection, I can admire that." As Shining commended Fire Heart for her bravery, he also witness the irony and coincidence of all the ponies who knew each other in other respects and relationships.

In fact, the only odd ones out were the griffon who was still embarrassed, throwing his romance novel back onto the shelf feeling dejected, and grey pegasus mare that Shining could only assume was the derpy pony Twilight sometimes mentioned in her letters. While Twilight tended to her, Shining decided to mend with the griffon. "I'm sorry, I thought you were doing something far more mischievous. Hey now, everyone can read what they want, I guess. I don't really read romance novels, but I know my Cadance does. Although she sometimes loses interest when the plot gets unrealistic. She is a realy expert when it comes to the emotions of the heart. Anyways, no hard feelings?" Shining stuck a hoof out to the griffon.

2mcczdx.jpg

"Hello there, Derpy! Is there anything I can help you find?"

Ah good, here was Twilight! “Not really much,” Derpy absentmindedly replied; “But I was considering binging on the Untold Schism books. One of my coworkers tells me that its one of the best high fantasy series out there, and I like high fantasy books. Well... I kinda like all types of books, to be honest. Betch ya’ that I can read any book and like it.” Uttering those words, Derpy glanced back at the book she had been reading moments earlier, something with tons of confusing math equations written on its pages.....

Fire Heart's eyes went wide as the griffon growled at her. Although she didn't want to admit, deep down she wondered if griffons could eat ponies.

"Really? You're getting that upset because we know that you are reading a romance novel? Come on. Why would ponies or griffons laugh at you for what you're reading especially? I'm personally not a big fan of romance novels but that doesn't mean I'd laugh at others that do."

Shining Armor then chimed in about how it was honorable for her to defend the griffon, something Fire wondered was the right decision considering how he was reacting now.

"That's ok. You were protecting others too. And as for being protective, it is kind of something that just happens. Maybe it's because I don't like seeing ponies or in this case a griffon hurt. It kind of reminds me of when i was a filly. Let's just say having the ability to create fire and having it go off every time i was upset or excited didn't make me the most popular pony in school."

Ice couldn't help but facehoof at the griffon's reaction to reading a romance novel. "Seriously?" she thought aloud, although in a hushed tone as everypony else here was trying to calm everything down, and the griffon just wanted to keep going. After examining it's size though, it was likely a younger griffon, and one that hasn't learned some of the finer nuances like mannerisms yet. Of course then again, perhaps he had and that's just how griffons were. After all, the last griffon that she actually interacted with for some odd reason thought that the best way to introduce himself was to try to scare her but faking an attack on her shop, which promptly backfired for the griffon. "Oh for pony sake, no pony is going to care about what you read. In fact, I think that's a testament to how intelligent you actually are. That's actually a pretty advanced book, and one that at you age, I'd be proud of being able to read. But a book is no reason to go around making serious threats like that, even if it's out of a spike of adrenaline," Ice spoke as the Captain of the Guard and Fire Heart were trying to make peace as well.

It wasn't too long after that, and by not too long, she meant immediately afterwards, a grey pegasus came into the Library. Ice recognized her, of course, how couldn't she? Derpy wasn't exactly a mare you forget. Of course she'd only seen Derpy in passing a few times, but none the less she was acquainted with her. Twilight greeted her, and she seemed to be returning a book that she had borrowed and was looking for another one. Ice couldn't help but take a small peak at the book she was returning. "A Textbook?" she thought. Perhaps Derpy was trying to do some studying. Maybe she was going to a university in her spare time. The thought made Ice smile as Shining Armor and Fire Heart seemed to get things squared away with each other as well. Of course, now that all that was settled she could give her friend a proper greeting, and what better way to greet a friend than with a giant hug? Ice quickly moved over and gave a quick, yet firm hug to Fire Heart. "Hey girl! How's everything been in Canterlot? I can't really say I was expecting to see you in Ponyville today. Passing through?"

Wow. This was one moody griffon. Twilight tried her best but to judge others and for the most part she succeeded. Nopony was perfect and everypony occassionally let a little soreness seep into their mind, but she was pretty sure it just wasn't her this time. His attitude was poor and infectious and all based on a little embarassment that wasn't given to any reason. She had to stop herself from pushing it any further, though. Judging by his size he was just a little griffon, and being so far away from his own society likely touched a nerve. Aquealian culture was very much based on aggression and appearances so it didn't shock Twilight that his poor attitude on display was symbolic of a larger cultural issue endemic to his species. It simply took them a little longer to adapt to Equestrian tradition, as friendly and accepting as it was. He'd grow up, both in size and attitude! Util then, Twilight would be sure to not mention either thing to him. That didn't mean she wouldn't ask him to calm down, however. This was still a library.

"Thank you for putting the book away properly. But please, no yelling. This is a library and there is a baby dragon who needs his rest upstairs. If you have any further requests, feel free to ask," Twilight simply stated, not admonishing her griffon friend at all. She just wanted some nice, calm patrons.

On to Derpy. Untold Schism, eh? A good book for her. Derpy was a flighty mare with her head stuck anywhere and everywhere but on the task on hoof. She may as well focus all of that power on something fantastical and engaging. Untold Schism was indeed one of the better High fantasy works out there, telling the story of a dynastic struggle over an empty Lordship. Derpy was an adult but for some reason Twilight had reservations about giving Derpy access to that material because some of it could be quite...violent. In any case, Twilight had the first three books in stock. The fourth and fifth were out. And Derpy could only take one book out at the moment- as she opened her folder and levitated reading glasses over, the reasons would become clear in more ways that one soon enough. And in doing so, a plan was formulated.

"That is a really good book series, Derpy. My favorite ongoing high fantasy series by far! But I'm afraid I have some bad news..." she levitated a list of all the overdue books between the pair.

"Supermare Volume 73. Batmare issue number four-hundred and seventeen through four-hundred and twenty one. Power Ponies Volumes 13, 14, and 15. Mistress Mare-velous Classic Volume 2," she levitated her reading glasses away and gave a sympathetic if somewhat weak smile.

"You must be really enjoying them, I guess. But you need to bring back so much I can only let you borrow one book. And Untold Schism is simply too good to only take one- no, I know you and I know that series. You need at least three. But with only one slot...well, you did say you could enjoy any book, so how about this?" She levitated over a large mathematics textbook, dust and cobwebs attached to it like a fat pony to chocolate.

"Seven Thousand Theorems of the Cube," she began before letting it rest on Derpy's head, "is a book I'm sure will keep you invested. It even has some practical applications if you ever need a cube-shaped stormfront! So, since you enjoy any book, I'm sure you'd like to spend the next seven months deciphering that madstallion's ravings involving the theorem of the cube. Orrrrr...you could return the comics and graphic novels you have out and get Untold Schism!" She finished excitedly, filling the air in front of Derpy with the three books in the series she had on hoof.

Fire Heart's eyes went wide as the griffon growled at her. Although she didn't want to admit, deep down she wondered if griffons could eat ponies.

"Really? You're getting that upset because we know that you are reading a romance novel? Come on. Why would ponies or griffons laugh at you for what you're reading especially? I'm personally not a big fan of romance novels but that doesn't mean I'd laugh at others that do."

Shining Armor then chimed in about how it was honorable for her to defend the griffon, something Fire wondered was the right decision considering how he was reacting now.

"That's ok. You were protecting others too. And as for being protective, it is kind of something that just happens. Maybe it's because I don't like seeing ponies or in this case a griffon hurt. It kind of reminds me of when i was a filly. Let's just say having the ability to create fire and having it go off every time i was upset or excited didn't make me the most popular pony in school."

Ice couldn't help but facehoof at the griffon's reaction to reading a romance novel. "Seriously?" she thought aloud, although in a hushed tone as everypony else here was trying to calm everything down, and the griffon just wanted to keep going. After examining it's size though, it was likely a younger griffon, and one that hasn't learned some of the finer nuances like mannerisms yet. Of course then again, perhaps he had and that's just how griffons were. After all, the last griffon that she actually interacted with for some odd reason thought that the best way to introduce himself was to try to scare her but faking an attack on her shop, which promptly backfired for the griffon. "Oh for pony sake, no pony is going to care about what you read. In fact, I think that's a testament to how intelligent you actually are. That's actually a pretty advanced book, and one that at you age, I'd be proud of being able to read. But a book is no reason to go around making serious threats like that, even if it's out of a spike of adrenaline," Ice spoke as the Captain of the Guard and Fire Heart were trying to make peace as well.

It wasn't too long after that, and by not too long, she meant immediately afterwards, a grey pegasus came into the Library. Ice recognized her, of course, how couldn't she? Derpy wasn't exactly a mare you forget. Of course she'd only seen Derpy in passing a few times, but none the less she was acquainted with her. Twilight greeted her, and she seemed to be returning a book that she had borrowed and was looking for another one. Ice couldn't help but take a small peak at the book she was returning. "A Textbook?" she thought. Perhaps Derpy was trying to do some studying. Maybe she was going to a university in her spare time. The thought made Ice smile as Shining Armor and Fire Heart seemed to get things squared away with each other as well. Of course, now that all that was settled she could give her friend a proper greeting, and what better way to greet a friend than with a giant hug? Ice quickly moved over and gave a quick, yet firm hug to Fire Heart. "Hey girl! How's everything been in Canterlot? I can't really say I was expecting to see you in Ponyville today. Passing through?"

Wow. This was one moody griffon. Twilight tried her best but to judge others and for the most part she succeeded. Nopony was perfect and everypony occassionally let a little soreness seep into their mind, but she was pretty sure it just wasn't her this time. His attitude was poor and infectious and all based on a little embarassment that wasn't given to any reason. She had to stop herself from pushing it any further, though. Judging by his size he was just a little griffon, and being so far away from his own society likely touched a nerve. Aquealian culture was very much based on aggression and appearances so it didn't shock Twilight that his poor attitude on display was symbolic of a larger cultural issue endemic to his species. It simply took them a little longer to adapt to Equestrian tradition, as friendly and accepting as it was. He'd grow up, both in size and attitude! Util then, Twilight would be sure to not mention either thing to him. That didn't mean she wouldn't ask him to calm down, however. This was still a library.

"Thank you for putting the book away properly. But please, no yelling. This is a library and there is a baby dragon who needs his rest upstairs. If you have any further requests, feel free to ask," Twilight simply stated, not admonishing her griffon friend at all. She just wanted some nice, calm patrons.

On to Derpy. Untold Schism, eh? A good book for her. Derpy was a flighty mare with her head stuck anywhere and everywhere but on the task on hoof. She may as well focus all of that power on something fantastical and engaging. Untold Schism was indeed one of the better High fantasy works out there, telling the story of a dynastic struggle over an empty Lordship. Derpy was an adult but for some reason Twilight had reservations about giving Derpy access to that material because some of it could be quite...violent. In any case, Twilight had the first three books in stock. The fourth and fifth were out. And Derpy could only take one book out at the moment- as she opened her folder and levitated reading glasses over, the reasons would become clear in more ways that one soon enough. And in doing so, a plan was formulated.

"That is a really good book series, Derpy. My favorite ongoing high fantasy series by far! But I'm afraid I have some bad news..." she levitated a list of all the overdue books between the pair.

"Supermare Volume 73. Batmare issue number four-hundred and seventeen through four-hundred and twenty one. Power Ponies Volumes 13, 14, and 15. Mistress Mare-velous Classic Volume 2," she levitated her reading glasses away and gave a sympathetic if somewhat weak smile.

"You must be really enjoying them, I guess. But you need to bring back so much I can only let you borrow one book. And Untold Schism is simply too good to only take one- no, I know you and I know that series. You need at least three. But with only one slot...well, you did say you could enjoy any book, so how about this?" She levitated over a large mathematics textbook, dust and cobwebs attached to it like a fat pony to chocolate.

"Seven Thousand Theorems of the Cube," she began before letting it rest on Derpy's head, "is a book I'm sure will keep you invested. It even has some practical applications if you ever need a cube-shaped stormfront! So, since you enjoy any book, I'm sure you'd like to spend the next seven months deciphering that madstallion's ravings involving the theorem of the cube. Orrrrr...you could return the comics and graphic novels you have out and get Untold Schism!" She finished excitedly, filling the air in front of Derpy with the three books in the series she had on hoof.

Razor blinked and looked at the ponies that lectured him. He opened his mouth to retort, but closed it as he pinched the area where his beak met his face.

'Just....calm down now....before you make an idiot of yourself again.' He thought before taking a deep breath.

He cleared his throat, "Okay.....I'm....sssssssorry." He took a long time to say the sorry word, it was really hard for him, "I don't usually say that, but I am. I guess I got a little defensive over this, and I did not mean to let my irritation lash out at you all."

The comments on his age however....were harder for him to ignore, and he felt a vein on his head pulsing as he spoke further.

"And as for....my age....I am at least your equal in age, if not older by a year or two. I'm...full....grown.....okay." He finished, but he ground his beak as his eyes betrayed a look saying, "Go ahead. Say I'm short for my age. I dare you!"

"Anyway, despite my...behavior if you could all keep this under wraps about my....reading choices. I've worked very hard on my image, and I really don't want all that work to be destroyed by this. I don't need any further fuel to give to anygriffon or pony to bother me." He finished with a snap.

Razor took one last breath and let it out, he rubbed his head feeling a headache, "Ugh, I hate these headaches." He muttered to himself.

Deciding it was best to find a corner to lay down in and keep to himself, Razor looked around for an area he could be alone. He didn't need any further social dealings....though he felt sure that was going to be impossible so he could at least be comfortable before the next verbal battle of tempers occurred.

After lowering his horn, he realized the red unicorn was both embarrassed and honest about her involvement in defending the griffon. Shining had gone too far this time. Maybe it was just in his realizing of all the strange occurrences that happened when he was around Twilight that made him more prone to some sort of attack. And Shining didn't distrust griffons completely. However, if they had started a quarrel with pony kind, he wouldn't be too surprised. "Oh, no need to feel sorry. I shouldn't have jumped like that. You were doing what any pony with the power to protect would do. As somepony who is actively searching for those in need of protection, I can admire that." As Shining commended Fire Heart for her bravery, he also witness the irony and coincidence of all the ponies who knew each other in other respects and relationships.

In fact, the only odd ones out were the griffon who was still embarrassed, throwing his romance novel back onto the shelf feeling dejected, and grey pegasus mare that Shining could only assume was the derpy pony Twilight sometimes mentioned in her letters. While Twilight tended to her, Shining decided to mend with the griffon. "I'm sorry, I thought you were doing something far more mischievous. Hey now, everyone can read what they want, I guess. I don't really read romance novels, but I know my Cadance does. Although she sometimes loses interest when the plot gets unrealistic. She is a realy expert when it comes to the emotions of the heart. Anyways, no hard feelings?" Shining stuck a hoof out to the griffon.

Razor cast a glance at Shining Armor and took his hoof in his talon, careful to not let his grip break skin.

"No harm done. Just forget about it." He said, now finally calming down.

"I tend to have a hard time controlling my temper, and I always seem to pay for it later."

With apologizes done, Razor decided to take the change of perception from him onto the new mare and use it as an escape from the spot light.

He flew up and grabbed his book again, deciding to get back to it before flying over to the other side of the room. He preferred some distance now from the ponies, crowds didn't work with him.

Maybe now he could get the peace he wanted. Unless something else happened, and considering the moments of chaos he always ended up in in this town....he felt sure that wasn't far off.

While normally Fire Heart wasn't a pony to be frightened by things, the griffon across from her made her slowly back away, especially knowing that she was the closest to him. There were others in the library trying to calm the griffon down, but Fire wondered if the moody creature was capable of listening to reason. But before she could plan the next thing to say to him, she suddenly felt a pony's forehooves surrounding Fire in a hug!

"Eep," she said in an uncharacteristic squeaky voice, but quickly tried calming down before she accidentally burst into flames and hurt the pony showing her affection, especially since it was her friend Ice Storm.

"Hey girl! How's everything been in Canterlot? I can't really say I was expecting to see you in Ponyville today. Passing through?"

"Yeah, I didn't know if you'd be here or someplace else. You mentioned Ponyville was where you live last time we met, and I wanted to see the place with my own eyes. Guess I got distracted with this library first though. I've seen different libraries, like the one at Princess Celestia's School that I always seem to find myself in, but never in a tree! How did somepony hollow out this tree without destroying it? Anyway, how are you Ice? I have to say our meeting here was better than the last time, eh? Well at least the events leading up to us meeting the first time that is."

She turned her attention back to the griffon who tried desperately to apologize. Still as much as he took a step forward in being civil, he took a leap back by threatening regarding his size.

"look, I don't know if you're being picked on by somepony, or griffon, but that doesn't mean that whoever you meet is immediately going to say anything. Honestly I thought you were my age, maybe even older. As for the headaches, I'm no doctor, but maybe the stress is affecting your brain. I get that way when cramming for exams sometimes."

She realized that she had the golden opportunity of being in another library, and the possibilities of more things to learn.

"Um... Twilight? Can I call you just Twilight? I'm actually looking for books on fire magic and books on magic being linked to emotions, and mos importantly how to make sure my magic doesn't go out of control like... well... kind of what you saw... only worse."

2mcczdx.jpg

Doh! How could have Derpy Hooves forgotten to return the books she borrowed back to Twilight’s library? Had she been too focused on the other concerns of living that those comics had been forgotten about once the pegasus finished reading them. Derpy SWORE to bring those books back the first chance she got.

But before the young mare could leave, Twilight Sparkle showed Derpy another book; a math tome covered in all sorts of nasty web and dirt junk. So much so that the blonde pegasus felt a sneeze attack coming on. She tried holding it back, but about the time the librarian showed off those Untold Schism books, Derpy lost the battle. At least the pegasus remembered to cover her mouth with a hoof, but the dusty math book on top of her head fell down with a great *THUD*.

“Sorry Twilight,” Miss Hooves apologized; “I think I’m allergic to that cube book. But I’ll get those other comics back, you’ll see! I’ll be back in a jiffy!” Before any other words could be spoken, the mare made a dash towards the door, intending on a return in 10 minutes. If Derpy remembered right, she left those comic books in the pile of stuff in her bedroom where things always got lost.....

*Exit Derpy Hooves........... for now anyway*

Shining could see from a long trot away that the griffon was not going to be reasonable in a normal social circumstance. Which was a shame, considering how many quadrupeds were now touring the library. Shining wasn't too sure Twilight's library was ever this packed before. Although, her being a Princess probably brought a lot to the attraction of such a strangely shaped library with dusty old books that no pony really likes to read anyway. However, Shining's eyes sparkled as he saw Derpy Hooves talk about the high fantasy that she was pointing at on the shelf. Ignoring her problems, Shining started browsing the shelves looking for anything that he might have read before so that he could talk out loud about it, or maybe see something that he hadn't read yet and dive into it during the short time he was visiting.

Shining had heard about Spike's comic collection. "Hey Twilight. Does Spike leave the comics he reads out here on the shelf? Or does he only keep his comics separate?" And as he asked he spotted an interesting title. 'The Duel' as it was called. A one shot graphic novel that was published several years ago was sitting innocently on the shelf next to the other action comics. "Twilight, you have a copy of 'The Duel'? I didn't think a graphic novel like this would even exist in your library!" Shining spoke loudly with intent to poke fun at the perfect Princess sister. As he grabbed the book with his magic and opened it up, he started glancing at some of the grittiness. On one page, the main character slapped the other with his hoof. How daring! And on the next page, the aforementioned pony who recieved the slap returned a slap of his own back at the pony. Scandalous! "Twilight, don't you think this is a little violent to have in a library who embraces education?" Shining smirked.

Finally. After all this time, Fable Weaver managed to finally see the town everypony was talking about. Fable let out a very cheerful yell as he paraded down the streets of the quaint town, something you never normally catch Fable, but he just couldn't contain his ecstatic mood. He had only heard of this town through newspapers and idle chatter during his time in Manehatten and a little bit in his new home of Fillydelphia, about how quiet and idyllic this place was, along with a few snippets of the goings-on that occurred here on a week to week basis. He had learned that even a princess lived here, albeit a newly crowned one, but that was the final straw for Fable that made him plan a week in the town and hopefully enjoy the atmosphere that captivated him even now.

Fable continued down the street, a content smile on his face as he glanced about the area, admiring the colors and shapes of houses, and the many ponies that walked by. They seemed really friendly, but he wasn't in the mood for chatting with complete strangers at every turn for the sake of the chat itself. All he wanted was to bask in the peaceful atmosphere with idle chats with ponies he actually WANTED to speak with, and had some sort of business with.

Fable then stopped as he was met with a house not like any of the other houses he gazed at in his merry trot down the road. In fact, he wasn't quite sure it was a house at all, despite the windows and door. He was so used to seeing just regular houses in Fillydelphia, or the towering structures in Manehatten, that the design threw him quite off. Inspecting the building closer, he made two observations. One, it was definitely a tree made into a building and he wasn't losing his mind from the culture shock, and two, this house was actually a public library, something that made Fable quite curious. He wondered what kinds of books they might have, and even more, if they stocked any of his mystery novels. Now Fable wasn't a braggart and didn't like to go around and tell everyone about what he did and who he was, but even he could be a little curious at the prospect of finding at least one of his novels and if ponies liked his work.

Before entering, Fable smoothed his mane out and fixed his signature bow tie and glasses before opening the door and stepping inside, concluding that since it was a public library of sorts, he could probably just walk in, pick up a book and read without much trouble. His bespectacled eyes were immediately greeting with a lot of ponies and one griffin in the main library area, all of whom were talking with one another, and he didn't really want to butt in and be the center of attention and ask, instead he moved around the small groups of ponies and made his way to one of the shelves and started searching, making himself as inconspicuous as he could. He was so keen on not making too much of a scene that he didn't even notice who exactly was in the room with him, namely the alicorn and Captain of the Royal Guard smack dab in the middle of the room.

"Well, this is a pretty grand library. As you said, it's made from a hollowed out tree. I guess a pony could legitimately say that this was the tree of knowledge and they would be right," Icy giggled at her pun. "Of course, I was coming here to fine tune the spells that I already knew. I gave up learning new ones a long time ago. It seems that if it's anything that isn't related to Ice, it's not really meant for me to be using," she smiled at the fiery mare. When Fire asked how she was doing, her smile was even larger. "I've been doing great, and our meeting last time was super. Even if there was a blizzard outside that Princess Luna had sheltered us from because I couldn't even withstand with my affinity to the cold," she smiled. "Hey! When we get done here, we should head to my place for snowcones! Everypony is invited!" she giggled as another pony made it's way into the library. "Huh, looks like it's a busy day," she said softly, more to herself than anyone else.

The others in the room seemed to have started talking to Twilight and inquiring about books that they could find, and Fire Heart did the same. Specifically, Fire asked if there were any books that she could find on fire magic, and how magic and emotions were connected. "Actually, I would like to reference that book as well. Even I've noticed that some of my more simpler ice spells are a bit harder to control when I am upset, and much worse when I'm actually angered," she asked as well before the griffon started talking some more. She actually felt bad for the griffon, even more so when he said that he was an adult.

"I apologize for the confusion. I had not meant anything in regards to your size." she said as he began to move over to the corner. "And as far as the headache goes," she said. "I could make a very thin layer of ice across your forehead. Ice is a very good pain deterrent, and will help reduce it a bit as it melts. By the time it is gone, your headache should be as well," she smiled to the griffon, hoping that he would lighten up a bit if she helped him out.

(it's basically similar to an ice pack)

The griffon may claim to have been around the age of a young adult of his species but even in his calmer, more sociable moments, he had all the manners of a newborn predator. She supposed she couldn't blame him entitely too much. You couldn't control other cultures or families and had to adapt to what you were given in both the company of friends and the meetings of strangers. She'd take his apology for as sincerely as it was delivered, pulsing vein afterward not devaluing his effort at all. She nodded and made a mental note to make sure nopony else pushed him on his age any further. Everything about him was one huge sore spot.

"Thank you for the apology! That means a lot. I'll make sure that if you do take the book out I'll write a different name down. Beyond that- I don't gossip about the reading habits of my patrons, so your 'secret' is safe with me," Twilight offered simply, leaving the griffon to his annoyed reading until he had a question. She would be his librarian but not his caretaker.

She had other patrons to attend to. Fire Heart had a simple question that didn't have such simple answers. There were many self-help books involving magic but rarely were they very helpful, often written by charlatans looking to make a buck or two on the market before writing the next load of trash. The real help came from the more advanced magical studies section and she definitely had material which could aid him, it came with a massive caveat. Most of it, all of it, wasn't much use to a pony who was trying too self-learn new methods. They were either too advanced or required precision of an intense degree that forestalled any meaningful self-help. You needed tutors and teachers. Twilight levitated a book over, the one she thought would help the most. Hopefully she wouldn't be disproven.

"This work covers the emotional variances inherent in the aetheral flow of an Equestrian unicorn. It is as close to the perfect educational tool as I have. Buuutttt, there is a problem. A lot of this requires someone already very well versed in it. You need a tutor or a teacher," Twilight thought of one solution and immediately shut the door, "and I can't do it. As much as I love helping ponies, I'm already helping Ice and I have very little time as it is. I'm sorry- truly, I am. To make it up to you however, I can mail you a list of some of the best teachers I know in Canterlot," Twilight offered at the end. She understood the allure and for some the ease of Pricness Twilight Sparkle helping them but if she started that ball rolling she would have to sacrifice either her friends or her own studies. Neither was happening.

Neither was Derpy being prepared for the trip to the library happening, sadly. Twilight waved her off and put the folder away. The books would be here when Derpy returned. What wouldn't be if he kept up his silly act was her brother, who casually went about slamming some of the collection with mock furor over the content. Well, considering the games of O&O he and his friends used to play she doubted he had any real concerns and he'd take any chance he could to poke and prode her like any older brother was want to do. She gave him a cock-eyed smile as she levitated the work out of his hooves and back in place, collecting some of Spike's 'hidden' collection of personal comic material under the floorboards with a snap of the wooden protector.

"If you really want to poke your snout into a baby dragon's reading material, I'm sure the continuing adventures of the Power Ponies suit you just fine. Oh, that reminds me- your old friend Gaffer wants to send some photos to me. What is cosplaying?" She asked innocently. After all, she already had the pictures. Since when was her brother's character a Princess?

"Um... ok bye," Fire said to the strange grey Pegasus who one moment was there and the next suddenly flew out the door! She seemed so intent with getting something that the only thing Fire could guess was that there was someplace the blonde manned mare needed to be. With a shrug she turned her attention to her friend Ice Storm.

"I've been doing great, and our meeting last time was super. Even if there was a blizzard outside that Princess Luna had sheltered us from because I couldn't even withstand with my affinity to the cold," she smiled. "Hey! When we get done here, we should head to my place for snowcones! Everypony is invited!"

"Yeah, that sure was some night. I remember almost becoming a frozen pony to having the best night ever in my life! And Princess Luna was so nice to talk to as well. Yep, that was something that I don't think I'll ever top in my life. Oh, and I will definitely try one of your snowcones when all said and done."

"Actually, I would like to reference that book as well. Even I've noticed that some of my more simpler ice spells are a bit harder to control when I am upset, and much worse when I'm actually angered,"

"Looks like you and I have the same problem then," Fire said as she wondered about how the two could benefit from using possibly the same material until a thought came to mind, "How about we split whatever books there are. When you or I are finished we'll find a time to exchange them. How does that sound?"

It looked like Twilight had the answer to Fire Heart's control issues when she produced a book. She wasn't looking for a self help book that were usually not worth the paper and ink that made them. Fire was comfortable with who she was and yet still could use the help with her magic. She knew that wouldn't be easy, possibly changing the very core of how she thought about and practiced her magic, but the older filly was determined to improve what she knew, expand her power and control, and find a way to use it to help others.

"This work covers the emotional variances inherent in the aetheral flow of an Equestrian unicorn. It is as close to the perfect educational tool as I have. Buuutttt, there is a problem. A lot of this requires someone already very well versed in it. You need a tutor or a teacher,"

The book was within inches of her sight, It seemed like the perfect solution to her problem. There was the stipulation though of needing a tutor, something that Fire really didn't see as an issue being in Princess Celestia's School which had some pretty top notch instructors. With the book and a tutor she was sure to succeed. There was even the ray of hope that maybe Twilight would be the one to teach her.

"and I can't do it. As much as I love helping ponies, I'm already helping Ice and I have very little time as it is. I'm sorry- truly, I am. To make it up to you however, I can mail you a list of some of the best teachers I know in Canterlot,"

Like a balloon she felt herself deflate and he heart sink. The book that was so close might have been at the other side of Equestria as the good it would do her not being able to accept it. Even worse was the jealousy that simmered inside for her friend who Fire knew had similar magic and for all she knew was able to learn from the lavender Alicorn because she got there first. She didn't feel upset for her friend though, only the bad circumstances. For a moment though there was an idea that could be her way to salvage the situation.

"Oh, if it's that you can't teach me that's fine. I know you must be busy with being a Princess and running this library, not to mention your own magical studies. If you give me the book and mail those names of teachers, I can find somepony who can teach it to me. I promise I won't do any of the magic inside that book until I find a teacher. Is that something that sounds ok to you?"

She stood as if before a judge, waiting for the final verdict to be passed.

• 3 weeks later...

When Twilight lifted a wooden plank showing where Spike keeps all his comics, he was surprised at Twilight's willingness to share what must be a very private part of her assistant's belongings. Of course, she probably wouldn't have offered and shown him this if she didn't trust him to begin with. Shining's eyes perked up. "Oh, let's see what we got here." Shining lifted a couple issues out. Most of them were in plastic sleeves. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I took a comic out of it's plastic, right? My telekinesis is spot on anyway." Carefully using his magic, he lifted the issue out of the sleeve and opened it up to start reading it.

When he started reading, he turned to walk towards a isolated corner of the room when he accidentally ran into a brown pony who had just walked into the library. Fortunately, the comic did not take any of the collision. "Oh! I'm sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going." Shining looked at the pony. He wasn't a pony he had every seen before.

And just then, Twilight asked Shining about cosplay and asked about some pictures Gaffer was sending. Shining started to stutter. "P-pictures? Why would he send you those pictures? I mean, what pictures!? Ha, I don't know what you're talking about, Twily." Shining zipped up to the Princess sister. "Twilight, I can't let that get out. It could hurt my image as a captain. Besides, those pictures are old."

Archived