Official Discussion Thread - S04E07 Bats!

Rosewind

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed this one. I'm loving the trend of all Mane Six present. The chemistry really works between all of them.

I thought it was interesting Twilight agreed to the removal of the bats so quickly -- you'd think she would look up the facts herself first then come to a decision. Pinkie Pie's humor was still there, but not in-your-face. The story was pretty fun and had an interesting twist halfway through. The song was pretty good; it was a definite tribute to Nightmare Before Christmas style music. It's a shame we didn't get this episode in October. This and Luna Eclipsed would make a great Halloween night double-feature. Next year, this must happen!

This episode was a definite 9/10.

This one was a little weird for me. Overall, I liked it, but it seems kind of flawed in its composition. Full thoughts, spoilered for length:

I was excited when I read the synopsis for this episode on Equestria Daily. I'm something of a shipper and since Season one, one of the core ships I've stood behind was AppleShy. Applejack and Fluttershy just made sense together, I thought. Applejack never seemed the type who would fly past Fluttershy or trample over her, but rather the sort who would offer her a hoof to help her up while also encouraging her. They seemed like a very good match, albeit for the fact that they were two of the mane six more inclined to fade into the background, so the ship to its fault was maybe kind of dull. However, I never really had much to go on in the show for the ship; just a few select scenes and my own headcanons on the matter. Then the synopsis for Bats! came and promised a full episode focused on friction between the two. Friction episodes typically being good for ships, I was happy.

Actually seeing the episode, the shippyness was maybe not quite as strong as it could have been. There were a few good moments, but all six were there and there was a lot happening so I'm not sure how many people this will make to start thinking about AppleShy. On my other (and more important) favorite ship, was very pleased to see Rarity had Rainbow Dash on her mind when she go scared, however. :D

Shipping aside though, this was an interesting little episode. I'm not sure the execution was quite perfect. Merriweather Williams has always been good with ideas for episodes. Even Mare Do Well had a lot of fun at its core. Merriweather is less perfect in actually writing the episodes. While I wouldn't say this episode was any kind of bad, it was ultimately kind of rather disjointed. I'm not sure the two halves, both of which were excellent ideas, really went together at all. The first half of the story was a simplified ecological debate plot; conservation of a pest represented by Fluttershy vs elimination of a pest as represented by Applejack. Both sides felt strongly and got their points across well, so it was setup effectively, but there was no follow through. The second half took a strange turn then into a play on classic horror with the vampire Fluttershy story. This was done well too; it was fun and exciting and overall quite good, but jut felt kind of out of place in this largely unrelated storyline.

So yeah, while both parts were done fine, the two halves of the episode really just don't fit very well together. The vampire Fluttershy story didn't really tie into the argument at the core of the first half of the episode. It was fun, but it did absolutely nothing to resolve anything or prove Fluttershy or Applejack right. This made the ending completely jarring. Why do they suddenly all agree? How did these events that had nothing to do with anything convince Applejack to change her mind about the bats? The only thing I can think is that maybe she felt sorry for Fluttershy after what happened. I don't know. The ending was just super dissonant and weak to me. I think we might have been better served if this was split into two episodes. Maybe instead of having Twi's magic change Fluttershy into a vampire somehow (the explanation of which didn't make a whole lot of sense, by the way), we have the change in the bats lead to some other problem in the ecosystem? Show some dire consequences of their attempts to control nature and the situation that eventually leads them to realize Fluttershy might be on to something in saying they need the bats around as they are, if that's how we want it to go. Then, make a second episode that's all spooky (but safe) horror featuring Fluttershy changing into a vampire. We'd have more room to do more interesting things with the idea that way.

All my complaints are probably just a result of the shoddily inserted ending sequences. If the episode would have just left it at what had happened as one thing that took an off turn and became something else, I'd have been fine with it. By attempting to tie it all together like it makes sense together just doesn't follow logically though, which hurts the episode overall. The individual components of the episode were top rate, but mashed together as they were it forces me to put this one at the bottom of season four so far. All that said, I'd still probably give it a fair rating. I was never lacking in interest or enthusiasm for what I was watching.

Oh, and I really liked the song; lyrics were kind of weak in parts, but it built up great and I loved the intensity of both main singers. The ending with Rarity and Dash joined was amazing too. Definitely the high point of the ep there. I clap my hooves for Daniel Ingram.

The Mane Six returned to true form today in one of Meghan McCarthy's best episode. Yep, this episode was written by McCarthy and not Merriwether Williams, which is a load off of my mind. Honestly, I loved this episode, even without the canonization of bat ponies. The song was very enjoyable, the plot was well thought out and the pacing was great. Pinkie Pie was actually hilarious and not flanderized like she was in previous episodes of this season. The writing, animation and voice acting all hit their marks in today's episode. Even the lesson at the end was in top form.

Plus, BAT PONIES ARE CANON YO!

All in all, I give this episode a 10/10, which was a great relief given the disappointment of Power Ponies.

I really liked it. Top three of the season so far for me. Really enjoyed the majority of it, even if some of Phil's complaints ring true- a bit of disjointed halves mostly. That I can forgive since both halves were done so well.

What I did dislike is the ending. It didn't seem to make sense from inside the story and logically for SAA it is a *huge* problem that they seem to whitewash. The core debate of conservation versus control is set-up but not really delivered on but

VampireShy

was handled well enough so it is forgiven. Honestly my only big problem is perhaps the final two scenes, but Pony has never been known for good endings.

I have been listening to a lot of Nightmare Before Christmas lately, so the song was pretty fun.

I just love vampires, my choice for being the best dark creatures from Hell, second being demons & then followed by zombies.

After watching that,

I gotta say, Fluttershy is........ which I bet critics will criticize her role in that episode.... she's kind of being way over her kindness level when this is just so wrong. I'm with the others, especially think of the ponies over Ponyville and followed by Canterlot for the starvation and have to rely on other food sources. Yeap, it's apple famine. But yes, there will be a chain reaction if the apple supply cuts off, cider is one thing, I'm sure other things that needs apple will be halt from production when the fruit is short on supply.

Anyway, I'm quite surprise that bats stand on their legs, it's not like everyday I get to see them stand on their feet. And even the attempt is backfired when they thought it was a success. But what I laugh the most is Twilight's presentation of the attempt. I find it funny when she make it as a graph, and using gridlines like some sort of an exercise book and later explain the problem, Mythbusters style! XD

Nice catch, I can't believe she don't like to look at herself in the mirrors, much like vampires don't either when they hate the mirror to look at their ugly selves or maybe staring at it but shows no reflection in return. Dun dun dun, she still left a small sharp fang in her mouth, I guess we better take her to see Colgate to get err....... that fang shaved off. Anyway, it was a fine episode and I'm glad AJ isn't that selfish when she had no choice but to sacrifice that big apple for saving her friend.

I can't give my final rating on that till I watch again and evaluate further. But fine by means will be at least 3 Stars.

Everyone seemed real batty in this episode; not sure why..... <_<

Welcome to Transylvania, Bellosh. Let me count, 1, 2, 3, 4. Ha ha ha ha!

Wrong. It was WIlliams. Here's proof.

Yea I saw that, this is my response.

Boy do I have eggs on my face, I kinda doubt Ms. Williams ability as a writer. So I will say that she is the most improved MLP writer, and after Wonderbolts Academy and now Bats! I look forward to any and all future episodes that she may write.

I wasnt expecting to like this episode so much. Gotta say I love Flutterbat's design. Especially her wings. Remind me to do a Flutterbat cosplay. The theme I feel would have been better as a Halloween episode, but just my opinion. Really entertaining and I must see more bat ponies.

You know, I got the feeling that it was meant to be a Halloween episode, but the season didn't start soon enough for that to happen.

Well folks, it's that time once again to deliver my thoughts on yet another season 4 episode.

To quote from my Twitter post:

"Overall, this episode was a huge improvement over Power Ponies. I loved it! Flutterbat for the win as well. Cute! (and scary)"

This episode was a huge, huge improvement over Power Ponies and while it was written by Merriwether Williams, I actually enjoyed this episode from start to finish.

The song sequence got my toes tapping (quietly not to wake the whole house up) and really reflected the differences of both Applejack and Fluttershy and how they want to handle the bat infestation. It was a case of Honesty vs Kindness, Applejack wants to get rid of the bats her way and Fluttershy wants to help them out.

Speaking of Fluttershy though, I thought she was great in this episode despite being under pressure from Applejack and the rest of the mane 6, and not forgetting Applejack as well as she also showcased her personality a little more.

I also actually enjoyed the Flutterbat part despite my negative feelings to Flutterhulk as mentioned in the Power Ponies thread last week.

To be honest, she does look cute (and scary) as a bat pony and to see a different side of Flutters with the red eyes and the fangs got me a little bit excited. I can't still get over how cute she is in that form!

Overall, this was a great episode in my books.

The Mane Six returned to true form today in one of Meghan McCarthy's best episode. Yep, this episode was written by McCarthy and not Merriwether Williams, which is a load off of my mind. Honestly, I loved this episode, even without the canonization of bat ponies. The song was very enjoyable, the plot was well thought out and the pacing was great. Pinkie Pie was actually hilarious and not flanderized like she was in previous episodes of this season. The writing, animation and voice acting all hit their marks in today's episode. Even the lesson at the end was in top form.

Plus, BAT PONIES ARE CANON YO!

All in all, I give this episode a 10/10, which was a great relief given the disappointment of Power Ponies.

No, no they arn't :razz:VAMPonies possibly but it was obviously a spell fluke and not a common occurrence

No, no they arn't :razz:VAMPonies possibly but it was obviously a spell fluke and not a common occurrence

Well the show didn't make them canon, apparently they were already canon, thanks to the MLP comics and Luna Eclipsed. Still, it's nice to see more bat ponies, even if it's because of a flunked spell.

Well the show didn't make them canon, apparently they were already canon, thanks to the MLP comics and Luna Eclipsed. Still, it's nice to see more bat ponies, even if it's because of a flunked spell.

I'm sorta interested if there is something going to happen with fluttershy as she grew her fangs back :V

You know, I got the feeling that it was meant to be a Halloween episode, but the season didn't start soon enough for that to happen.

If you think that's for Halloween, I was thinking we need another Hearth's Warming episode.

I'm sorta interested if there is something going to happen with fluttershy as she grew her fangs back :V

I know right? When that scene happened, me and my brother exchanged a look of "oh snap" :?:

I really hope it's foreshadowing something and not just a big gimmick.

But yeah, I loved this episode. When It finally showed Flutterbat's face, I instantly said "Awww, it's cute!" Not sure why I said "it" instead of "she" but... yeah. Flutterbat's adorable.

The song was neat too and it's good to see Applejack display more sides of her personality.

And also

"Fruit bat round up, fruit bat round up!" :D

First Discord, and now Pinkie Pie. XD

I really didn't think much of this episode when I heard about it, but I really enjoyed it.

And Zounds! We have Vampire Ponies! They're either real or legends and I thought it was rather dark that Fluttery assumed she was one and she even ATE other ponies. Guh. And we also see that Fluttershy still has fangs at the end. oh-oh.

The deluge of Flutterbat stuff has already reached epic saturation to the point that I am not only over the concept, but dislike it to such a degree that I dislike the episode more and more as time passes.

Archived