BlueBlood's Good qualities.

You must argue against this

------------

So many people hate Prince Blueblood, and it makes me sad because Blueblood is one of my favorite characters. People hate him because he wasn't a "gentleman" to Rarity. But it's not that he wasn't a gentleman, it's simply that he didn't do everything Rarity wanted him to do. Rarity wanted him to put his handkerchief down, and Blueblood wanted her to put her shawl down. Rarity wanted him to open the door, and Blueblood wanted her to open the door. Rarity wanted him to pay, and Blueblood wanted her to pay. Simply because Rarity did it and not Blueblood, that instantly makes Blueblood the bad guy? Would it be okay if Blueblood did all that, or would Rarity be pinned the bad guy since Blueblood would be the one to get pissed in the end instead?

I'll admit, insulting Applejack's food and pushing Rarity in the path of the cake was rather crude of him, but think of it this way:

1) He spat the fritter out, so it had have at least been bad, right? In Applebuck Season, Applejack helped Pinkie Pie bake "baked goods" for...something, idk. However, they turned out terrible simply because Applejack was really tired. And later, in Call of the Cutie (I think that was it), Apple Bloom tried to help cook cupcakes but they came out terribly. Maybe bad cooking abilities just run in the family? Now, while you could note back to the first episode where Applejack and her extended family were to cook food for the Summer Solstice Celebration thing, remember that Applejack had a huge family and Applejack herself probably didn't cook the food, and probably just knocked down apples to bring to the people that actually cooked the food. After all, that was the only thing it was shown that she did. You can also say that Pinkie Pie called her the "one of the best bakers ever"...but that's Pinkie Pie. She says a lot of things. "And that's how Equestria was made!" You could also use the excuse with Soarin buying and loving one of her pies...but I just like to think that he has an addiction to pies. :P Plus, over all, Soarin, Blueblood, and Rarity are the only ones that bought anything from her during the course of the Gala, so there had to have been something wrong with her food, right?

- On another note, the food at the Gala was supposed to be fancy and high-class, as was the whole Gala itself. Maybe the food was simply not in Blueblood's taste? In fact, maybe Blueblood simply hates or is allergic to apples.

2) As for Blueblood pushing Rarity in the way of the cake, it was a panic attack. I'm sure if you were about to be hit by a flying cake, you'd want something to block it. Rarity just happened to be the closest thing to him at the moment and he probably didn't even mean for Rarity to be the one to get hit. If something else was closer, he'd probably have used that instead.

Do you still see Blueblood as a douche? Because he's not entirely the bad guy, since Rarity was at fault herself. They both expected the other to do things, but Rarity just happened to be the one to do it instead. If Blueblood did it all, he'd be the one to get pissed at Rarity in the end instead of vice versa. Would it be okay then, or would Rarity be the bad guy?

---------

And no I'm not trying to prove this guy is 'wrong' I'm just curious as to who else feels that BlueBlood was in the right and Rarity was in the wrong.

Its too easy to argue against that. Blueblood is a douche because he was written to be one. He was made to be a despicable character that was the opposite of what Rarity was after so we would have a reason to sympathize her and she would have a reason to not be having the best night of her life. While one could say the expectations for him to throw down cloth for her to cross the mud over or to pay for their food is sexist and his refusal or expectation for Rarity to do the same is hardly wrong, the very points raised damn him to being nothing but an insufferable wad: his less than favorable response to Applejack's food, and letting Rarity take the blow for him with the cake.

Applejack does not make bad food. Soarin devours her pie with gusto earlier. If it was a bad tasting pie, he wouldn't, especially if he has a pie addiction. If anything that would make him pickier- its comparable to a collector scrutinizing the quality of items, NOT to some crack head desperate for a hit, ANY hit. She was the one put in charge of her large cooking family for a reason. Apple Bloom's cooking abilities bare no consequence on Applejack's. They made it clear he disliked them because they weren't fancy enough a treat for his pricey palette and that was the reason he sputtered and spat her hard work to the ground. Being a dick about someone's hard made food not being ~expensive enough~ is just that: being a dick. If it was as simple as whoops don't like it or he was allergic to apples, he could have been polite about it (especially if he's supposedly a "nice guy") or they would have eluded to him having an apple allergy rather than wanting fancier food.

For the time it took him to pull Rarity over, he could have ducked out of the way. But no. He has to use the unicorn that was forced to dote on him like some sort of handsome princess as a shield. Even though she didn't want to, she did everything he demanded of her for the evening, and what does he do? He uses her as a pastry block.

It's a children's show, and the writing for bit characters tends to be black and white even if they are appealing to the parents as much as the children. To read anything else in to them other than what they try to make very obvious, especially something that goes AGAINST what they were trying to portray, is wishful thinking at best and delusion at worst. If they write him as a douche, he is a douche. That's exactly how he was made to be perceived, which would explain why he is seen that way by the majority.

tl;dr I don't think Blueblood is a douche, I know he is.

Its too easy to argue against that. Blueblood is a douche because he was written to be one. He was made to be a despicable character that was the opposite of what Rarity was after so we would have a reason to sympathize her and she would have a reason to not be having the best night of her life. While one could say the expectations for him to throw down cloth for her to cross the mud over or to pay for their food is sexist and his refusal or expectation for Rarity to do the same is hardly wrong, the very points raised damn him to being nothing but an insufferable wad: his less than favorable response to Applejack's food, and letting Rarity take the blow for him with the cake.

Applejack does not make bad food. Soarin devours her pie with gusto earlier. If it was a bad tasting pie, he wouldn't, especially if he has a pie addiction. If anything that would make him pickier- its comparable to a collector scrutinizing the quality of items, NOT to some crack head desperate for a hit, ANY hit. She was the one put in charge of her large cooking family for a reason. Apple Bloom's cooking abilities bare no consequence on Applejack's. They made it clear he disliked them because they weren't fancy enough a treat for his pricey palette and that was the reason he sputtered and spat her hard work to the ground. Being a dick about someone's hard made food not being ~expensive enough~ is just that: being a dick. If it was as simple as whoops don't like it or he was allergic to apples, he could have been polite about it (especially if he's supposedly a "nice guy") or they would have eluded to him having an apple allergy rather than wanting fancier food.

For the time it took him to pull Rarity over, he could have ducked out of the way. But no. He has to use the unicorn that was forced to dote on him like some sort of handsome princess as a shield. Even though she didn't want to, she did everything he demanded of her for the evening, and what does he do? He uses her as a pastry block.

It's a children's show, and the writing for bit characters tends to be black and white even if they are appealing to the parents as much as the children. To read anything else in to them other than what they try to make very obvious, especially something that goes AGAINST what they were trying to portray, is wishful thinking at best and delusion at worst. If they write him as a douche, he is a douche. That's exactly how he was made to be perceived, which would explain why he is seen that way by the majority.

tl;dr I don't think Blueblood is a douche, I know he is.

I read it all and I totally agree with it, but my ffavorite part was "tl;dr I don't think Blueblood is a douche I know he is." best comment ever! XD

Actually, I'm in partial agreement with Blueblood not being a bad guy. Sure, he acted badly, but I don't think that was really his fault.

You see, Rarity is technically a commoner, while Prince Blueblood is, well... a prince. He EXPECTS commoners to treat him as royalty. It's their job to take care of him. That's probably how he was raised. Being a prince, that's just what he's used to. No matter how beautiful or sophisticated Rarity may seem, she's not a princess, and therefore not in the same tier as Prince Blueblood. Part of Rarity's dream was for everypony to view her as one of the more sophisticated ponies of the Gala, but clearly Prince Blueblood did not.

So, while he DID act like a jerk, that's probably what he's been taught to do and how he's always lived his life. Not as a jerk, but expectant of those in the lesser class.

Actually, I'm in partial agreement with Blueblood not being a bad guy. Sure, he acted badly, but I don't think that was really his fault.

You see, Rarity is technically a commoner, while Prince Blueblood is, well... a prince. He EXPECTS commoners to treat him as royalty. It's their job to take care of him. That's probably how he was raised. Being a prince, that's just what he's used to. No matter how beautiful or sophisticated Rarity may seem, she's not a princess, and therefore not in the same tier as Prince Blueblood. Part of Rarity's dream was for everypony to view her as one of the more sophisticated ponies of the Gala, but clearly Prince Blueblood did not.

So, while he DID act like a jerk, that's probably what he's been taught to do and how he's always lived his life. Not as a jerk, but expectant of those in the lesser class.

Surely he must of had an etiquette on how to treat others right?

I mean Princess Celestia doesn't act like that. I would say Luna but we haven't seen much of her character

:Celest: :"I must apologise for Prince Blueblood. He is an idiot. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke."

Lol, reference

:Luna: :Fillies and gentlecolts, from this day forward you will all refer to me by the name Billy, Nightmare Billy. Mmmmnnyaahaa

:| : But, isn't Billy a stallion's name?

:Celest: :"I must apologise for Prince Blueblood. He is an idiot. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke."

Lol, reference

:Luna: :Fillies and gentlecolts, from this day forward you will all refer to me by the name Billy, Nightmare Billy. Mmmmnnyaahaa

:| : But, isn't Billy a stallion's name?

LOL I love you bronies XD

hi hi

I get the feeling that most everyone at the gala was probably not putting forth their normal attitude. Everypony has snapped at least once anyway. I suppose its possible that most of the time Prince Blueblood is quite amiable, just like Rarity is generous most of the time, except for when Princess Celestia drops by for brunch and she's wearing her best dress. But I suppose we may never know.

In most of the cases, Blueblood wasn't any worse than Rarity, at least as far as what was expected out of the other. Thats why I'm not sure I buy the "higher class," explanation. My guess is that he was trying to maintain an image, just like Rarity was.

I think there's a couple of main differences between them. First is a matter of which direction their expectations were pointed, which was clearly demonstrated when they meet Applejack. Rarity went to the Gala expecting everything to be wonderful, even though it was a new experience for her. Blueblood tastes the apple fritter, but rather than giving it a chance, he spits it out because it is common fare. Essentially Rarity was expecting the best, while Blueblood was expecting the worst.

Second, when it came down to it, Rarity proved that she was the bigger pony while at the same time demonstrating the difference between volunteering and being volunteered.

After doing a little bit of cursory research on the various historical origins of the term "blue blood," however, I have come up with another possible explanation. The Prince could have a disability, like hemophilia, or some like condition that makes him prone to injury or a host of allergies that make him particular about what he eats. Or he could just be a jerk, who knows.

Now, I'm just going out on a limb here, but suppose his special talent is math, or accounting or some kind of royal record keeping. That means he'd spend long hours indoors, without many real social skills to speak of. Or maybe he gets so tired of every mare around trying to court him that he purposefully maintains an unlikable reputation.

Or maybe he gets so tired of every mare around trying to court him that he purposefully maintains an unlikable reputation.

I think that would sum up his jerkiness.

I'll forgive him if he comes back with an apology or an explanation on what happened.

If I'm lucky XD

But for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

(some of this will be the insomnia talking, but I'm having fun reading these things...)

"Umm... he showed the depths of Rarity's character by portraying himself as shallow as the puddle he threw her cape on as a stark contrast? "

*voice pipe up from behind Hoss* "Ummm... He's HAWT?"

"Shanna, SHHhhh! I'll post you in applications soon enough."

"Okay..."

-Hoss (and Shanna)