Recipe time? Recipe time!

buxy

This thread needs to be updated !

Here's a cake I like to do for my morning breakfast. But it's a cake, so it really is eaten whenever cakes are meant to be eaten, not during the morning like me. I just have weird eating habits. It's also easy to do, which is good because I'm lazy.

Le Quatre-Quarts Breton !

(literally, the breton (from Bretagne, a region of France) "four quarters". Named this way because it have equal part of all its ingredients.)

You'll need :

Four eggs

Their weight in : flour, sugar, butter (salted butter is good, otherwise you can add a pinch of salt).

Baking soda (I think that's the name in english, the white powder that makes your cakes rise when they are cooked) (there are recipes without it, and I think the original recipe doesn't use it, but I'm too lazy to do so. )

Preheat the oven at 180°C (yeah I don't know how that translate to a conventional oven. I just put mine between the 5 and the 6.)

Melt the butter and let it cool.

Beat the eggs and the sugar together.

Mix the flour with the baking soda and the salt if you put salt.

Make a "hole" in the middle of the flour, put the eggs, mix (I use a whip ? I think that's the english name but I'm not sure. It this kind of tool.) until it's homogeneous.

Add in the cold, molten butter and mix again until it's homogeneous.

Prepare a cake mould (or whatever you bake your cakes in), you know, grease it with butter and then add flour, the usual stuff, the point is that the inside have a light cover of butter and flour so that once baked the cake will get out of the mould thingie. You probably know how to do it and I can't explain how to do it in english. Anyways ! Do so.

Put the cake in the oven. Wait about 45 minutes I guess. The cake is ready when, when you put a knife into it, the blade gets out clean. If not it ain't ready yet. If the cake gets too dark you can cover it with aluminum foil and reduce the oven temperature, as it's supposed to have a light brown crust and not a thick black one. Though it never really happened to me (if it burned, it burned, that ok I just scrape the burnt part ...) so I don't know if that really works.

Wait till your cake cools a bit and eat it. Some says it's better to wait a long time, like a day, but I like my cake still hot. I eat it with apricot jelly. It can goes with a lot of other things or you can eat it like this too.

Voila ! I love it, my girlfriend hates it. If you try to do it I hope you'll like it too.

Today, your gettin' the Recipe for... CANDY BACON.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 pound sliced bacon

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large plastic zip-top bag, combine brown sugar. Add bacon and toss to coat.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place a cooling rack on the lined baking sheet. Put bacon on rack and roast in oven for 20 minutes. Let drain for a few minutes on the rack and serve.

(I've never cooked it this way, but it seems simpler than what i do. if you do it, please tell me how it went!)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I've improvised my own version of a dish I had at a Japanese restaurant called Pad-Thai. Improvised, meaning it's recipe is very loosely stitched by my own assertion of how much is the right amount when I cook; this is how I make it:

1 pack of Linguini (or noodles of your choice.

1 Egg (egg white if you want to cut the calories)

Soy Sauce

teaspoon of Salt

1/4 cup of Sugar

3 or 4 boneless/skinless Chicken breasts

1 small pack Frozen Broccoli

Peanuts

Heat your oven to 450 degrees and move the chicken into it. If the chicken is frozen, it may be a good idea to par boil it for up to five minutes in a pot of rapidly boiling water. The chicken should be in the oven for up to about 10 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees (no pink, fully cooked insides).

While that cooks, boil the Linguini until done; set aside and start cooling it with cold water. Once cooled, move to a bowl and add a touch of salt, soy sauce (up to 3 tablespoons, and the egg. Mix them up for an even coating of egg.

Also remember to take out your chicken once it's cooked so it can cool as well. Once cooled, chop it up into chunks or throw it in a blender to chop it up. set aside.

Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet on about half heat; if you only have smaller pans to work with, divide the cooking up as you'll need room for all the noodles plus the chicken and broccoli. Once heated, add the frozen broccoli and cook for about a minute. Then, add the noodles, making sure to mix them around so that they all have a chance at the heat.

Now, sprinkle 1/4th of a cup of sugar into the noodles and mix, trust me on this one.

Finally, add your chicken and continue to cook, adding additional soy sauce if you wish. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes and remove from heat.

Finally, chop up some lightly salted peanuts (blender preferred). When serving, sprinkle the peanuts over each dish.

I am in no way a professional and I do a lot of improvising when I cook, so if something turns out wrong you can let me know, but I humbly urge you to try this dish. It. Is. Delicious.

Chocolate Milk Delight

You'll need:

A glass

Chocolate milk mix (I reccomend Ovaltine Classic)

A spoon

Milk

Dircetions:

1. Pour the desired amount of milk into the glass

2. With the high-tech device we call a 'spoon', put anywhere from two to eighty spoonfulls of Ovaltine into the milk.

3. Stir

4. ???

5. Profit!

These are some of the best and most addictive cookies I have ever had. It's a family recipe (although knowing my family it's from the back of a box or something).

Ingredients

2 egg whites

1 cup sugar

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

12 oz mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°.

Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until very stiff.

Gradually add the sugar and cream of tartar and continue to beat until you get a meringue-like texture.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop the cookies in teaspoon-size drops onto the cookie sheet. They will not spread, so you can fit them close together.

Place the cookie sheet in the oven and turn off the heat.

Do not open the door, and leave the cookies in the oven overnight.

peanut butter balls?

okay, my daily breakfast involving peanut butter balls

pour yourself a bowl of rice krispies or corn flakes (with milk)

put small scoops of peanut butter on it

people always tell me it sounds weird, but it's soooo good. it's WAY better than just a bland bowl of rice krispies or cornflakes everyday

Here's a recipie I just found I plan to make soon, but should be perfect for any fan of the Apple family;

APPLE BUTTER BARS

1 (18.25 oz.) package butter cake mix (or substitute with yellow cake mix).

1 stick unsalted butter, melted.

1 jumbo egg

2 1/2 cups apple butter.

1 cup oatmeal (are you crazy? :smirk::blah: )

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

1/2 cup brown sugar.

1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted.

3/4 cup pecan halves.

13 x 9 inch pan, greased with cooking spray (or butter, etc.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Use a spoon to mix together the cake mix, 1 stick of melted butter, and 1 egg.

Once thouroughly mixed, pat the mixture into the pan.

Spread 2 cups of the apple butter over the mixture (keeping back the remaining 1/2 cup for later)

Smooth out the apple butter with a spatula.

Stir together the oatmeal, cinnamon and brown sugar. Then mix in the remaining apple butter and remaining melted butter.

Spread the oatmeal mixture over the cake mixture. If it looks dry, swirl together your bottom apple butter layer a bit.

Sprinkle pecans over the top.

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until mixture is set.

Cool for an hour before slicing.

When I make this, I will take pictures and submit it to the other thread showing recipies in action...

Who likes Jaffa Cakes? I bet you will.

First off, what are Jaffa Cakes? They're a delicious treat from the UK, consisting of a sponge-cake covered in chocolate and filled with orange marmalade. From what I hear, they're unbelievable. I haven't had a chance to try the recipe (or the actual cakes, for that matter) for myself, but hopefully someone here will and inform me as to how awesome they are.

Ingredients

For the cakes

For the filling

• 1 x 135g/4¾oz packet orange jelly, chopped

• 1 tbsp orange marmalade

• 125ml/4½fl oz boiling water

• 200g/7oz good quality dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids, broken into pieces

Preparation method

• Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

• For the cakes, bring a little water to the boil in a pan, then reduce the heat until the water is simmering. Suspend a heatproof bowl over the water (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water). Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl and beat continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture is pale, fluffy and well combined.

• Add the flour, beating continuously, until a thick, smooth batter forms.

• Half-fill each well in a 12-hole muffin tin with the cake batter. Transfer the tin to the oven and bake the cakes for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden-brown and cooked through (the cakes are cooked through when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.) Remove from the oven and set the cakes aside, still in their tray, until cool.

• Meanwhile, for the filling, in a bowl, mix together the jelly, marmalade and boiling water until the jelly has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Pour the filling mixture into a shallow-sided baking tray or large dish to form a 1cm/½in layer of jelly. Set aside until completely cooled, then chill in the fridge until set.

• When the jelly has set and the cakes have cooled, cut small discs from the layer of jelly, equal in diameter to the cakes. Sit one jelly disc on top of each cake.

• Bring a little water to the boil in a pan, then reduce the heat until the water is simmering. Suspend a heatproof bowl over the water (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water). Add the chocolate and stir until melted, smooth and glossy, then pour over the cakes. Set aside until the melted chocolate has cooled and set.

Genius! I salute you for coming up with such a great recipe sir!

Mum's Sausage Hotpot:

Ingredients:

Pack of sausages (6-8, depending on how many portions you want)

Potatoes (3-4 large ones) chopped into small chunks

Can of baked beans

Can of chopped tomatoes

An onion, finely chopped

1 heaped tps mustard powder

2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce

1 tbs lemon juice

Olive oil

Fry the sausages and the onion in a little olive oil.

Put a little bit of hot water into the bottom of a large pot, then add the tomatoes, potatoes, sausages, onion, sauce, powder and lemon juice. Mix it all up then cover and leave to simmer for about 30-40 mins until the potatoes are cooked. Add the beans and then leave to simmer for a couple more minutes just to reheat. A nice hot and filling meal smile.png Serves 3-4 people.

It's a shame that this is poison to me...I'm allergic to all forms of pepper but black, so the sausage itself would kill me...If something else can be substituted in, let me know, please?

APPLES!

You should have seen this coming, honestly. :smug:

This is a recipe for my mama's apple pies. I loved it when i was a kid.

Mama's Apple Pie.

9 cups of sliced apples

4 cups of sugar

1 cup cornstarch

A stick of butter

7 cups of water

3 drops of yellow food dye

1 tsp. of apple pie spice (or cinnamon)

First, put the sliced apples in quart-sized jars. Mix everything but the apples in a pot, then put them on the stove to cook, stirring every now and then. When it starts to get thick, remove from stove. Pour mixture over apples in jars. Then, seal the jars with pressure cooker (I don't know how, please google that part). This should give you about 4-6 quarts of pie filling.

To make pie, empty 1 jar of filling into a pie crust, and top it with a second crust. Bake at 350 degrees until top crust reaches a good brown-ish colour.

Also, please make sure that you seal the jars of filling properly. If you don't, you might get sick, and i'd feel bad about it. :sniff:

BONUS RECIPE: REPLACE THE WORD "APPLES" WITH "PEACHES"

I've been making super quick and easy vegan food lately!

first, Smoothies:

8oz of soymilk

4oz of OJ (or other juice)

1 cup of frozen fruit

toss it all in a blender until it's smooth

Usually I make mine with a cup of strawberries or half strawberries and half blackberries, peaches are really yummy too!

Rice and Lentils

2 cups of chopped onion

1 cup of brown lentils

3/4 cups of brown long grain rice

1/2 tablespoon of curry powder

1/2 tablespoon of salt

1/4 tablespoon of cumin

black pepper to taste

EVOO

Add a little EVOO to a pot (one that has a nice tight lid) and put your onions in, cook them for about 5-10 minutes or until they start to get brown. Once they're brown add everything but the cumin and add enough water to the pot to cover everything. Cook on med/low heat for 30-40 minutes, after 30-40 minutes add your cumin and let it cook for another 10. Stir it up and serve at whatever temperature you like :)

I've noticed for my stove I need to leave this cooking for a really long time, so depending on your stove the timing might not be the same. Usually I just keep an eye on it and whenever the rice and lentils are cooked through I call it finished (for me that takes about an hour).

Here's a simple and delicious stew that'll be gracing our table as the weather cools.

1 can cream of potato soup

1 can of cheese soup

1 can of milk

3 boiled and sliced potatoes, or 1-2 cans of potatoes (of you're feeling lazy or short on time)

Shredded cheddar cheese

BACON. (optional. But delicious)

Combine above ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Add more milk if you want a thinner broth, or a touch of flour to thicken. Can be served with crackers, or topped with sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. Broccoli can also be used in place of (or in addition to) the bacon if you want to pretend it's healthier than it is ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Like a boss.

okay, I just made this yesterday :D it didn't turn out though. I way undercooked it XD my mom always makes peanut butter squares every year around this time, but she wouldn't make them for me so I had to fend for myself :P

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

as many chocolate chips as you feel you need

mix peanut butter, sugar and egg together and pour into a 8x8 pan

put chocolate chips on top

cook for 20 minutes at 325ºF (I think it's F... like 80% sure...)

if it's wiggly when you take it out, it's probably not done, even if the top looks cooked. I learned that last night XD it should firm all the way through

also I sugest making a double batch because this makes enough for like four people. or eight people who each get one unsatisfying square.

Cookies! This is good for when you need a cookie dough fix. Or you can bake it, that's fine to.

1 tbsp white sugar

1 tbsp brown sugar

1-2 tbsp chocolate chips

Pinch of salt

Pinch of baking soda

1/4 cup +1 tbsp flour

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp water

1/8 tsp vanilla

Mix together ingredients

Bake at 350 (F?) for 12-13 minutes

Makes one cookie

- make sure you don't make the cookie too thick or else it won't bake. Good for toaster ovens.

Cookies! This is good for when you need a cookie dough fix. Or you can bake it, that's fine to.

1 tbsp white sugar

1 tbsp brown sugar

1-2 tbsp chocolate chips

Pinch of salt

Pinch of baking soda

1/4 cup +1 tbsp flour

1 tbsp butter

1 tbsp water

1/8 tsp vanilla

Mix together ingredients

Bake at 350 (F?) for 12-13 minutes

Makes one cookie

- make sure you don't make the cookie too thick or else it won't bake. Good for toaster ovens.

after making this a few times, I've come to the conclusion that this isn't a very good recipie. it's kinda bland and the bottom is always dogh-y (dogh-y?) when you bake it

so instead I give you this:

the picky eater's/lazy cook's pasta salad :D

I make a huge pot of this and take some for my lunch each day

lol all the spelling errors XD

you'll need:

your choice of pasta (I like penne)

your choice of cheese (I like mozza cut into cubes and parmazan)

your choice of vegetable (I like broccolli)

chicken broth (can it really be called "broth" if it's powder? I use chicken oxo) -as much as you want

boil pasta and sprinkle in chicken broth

once the pasta is almost finished, taste it. if it's bland, add more chicken broth. add your veggies now

once it's done, drain, wait for it to cool, then add cheese :D

very simple, but it's amazing! especially if you're like me and you have the tastes of a five-year-old XD

I don't know if you can even call this a recipie ._.