[Canterlot] Peachy's Portraits at Pony Joe's! Open to all. (Sign up required for portraits)

CaptainMcDerp

Dunder noticed that Peachy's happy demeanor evaporated quickly after talking about how coffee made him not feel emotional, but just that control of his emotions wasn't a strong suit of his. He was acting all self conscious and sensitive about it, and Java even shared a secret that Dunder didn't know about either. It was beyond the pegasus why everypony was getting emotional... except for Pony Joe. At least so far.

But soon, Java was back to being jittery after drinking the coffee and Peachy went back to his normal state. He even felt comfortable enough to ask a question about how the pegasus and the baker got their cutie marks.

What Peachy said made the pegasus feel self conscious about his story. Dunder's "moment of destiny" becoming clear wasn't a fantastical feat or really of as much significance in Dunder's life as other ponies. He took a deep breath. Pony Joe hadn't spoken up yet, so Dunder took it as a cue to go first.

"My cutie mark...Well, how I got my cutie mark wasn't very exciting. All that happened was my friend decided to take me along to a martial arts class where I got training to use a rapier. And then In school I took a culinary class where I passed and understood the concepts and techniques well. You know? If you've ever cooked before you know you gotta feel what the food is telling you. Smell it, look at it, hear it... You also got to be confident in what you are doing. Same with sword. You got to be confident in what you are doing. One slip and you could...lose a wing or an ear or an eye. Steel clashing, ringing. Hot, heavy breath clinging to your face. Muscles screaming from fatigue and blood rushing to every part of your body. It's certainly stressful. But relaxing once you get the groove of it.

"I guess I got my cutie mark when I was thinking about what to do with my life. I could cook and fight and still I had no mark. I thought about becoming a warrior, joining the guard, selling my skills to handle a sword or a pan..." He trailed off on the thought, focusing on a dust bunny on the ground that had been rolling on the ground until it got stuck on a scrap of tissue.

That's when he heard Pocket call his name. Dunder smiled and waved a hoof, "See you later!" Dunder said. Too bad he had to leave... he thought. He looked back for the dust bunny, but it was gone. Probably sucked out when Pocket opened the door. Dunder looked up to Peachy and shrugged, "That's it.... What about you?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

Peachy couldn't help but realize the ponies have taken notice of his brief change in demeanor. But he pushed that aside and listened as Java revealed an unexpected secret. Apparently, JavaSun wasn't his name at all. It was merely a nick name. His real name was Voronoi Fractal. Peachy's eyebrows raised on instinct. He wouldn't have expected that at all. He grinned after his friend completed their sentence. "JavaSun suits you far better anyways, if you ask me."

Then Dunder piped in, responding to his question about cutie marks. As Peachy harkened to his story, he came to the conclusion that cooking and sword play were much more similar than he initially realized. And when the muscular pegasus described the feeling of swordplay, Peachy couldn't help but imagine a slow motion Dunder colliding steel with steel as sweat trickled from his face. An expression of fearless determination embellishing his features. Also there was rain for some reason. Rain makes everything better during such a dramatic and...captivating scene.

His thoughts left him when he noticed Pocket Change taking his leave. He waited for Dunder to bid him farewell before waving a hoof as well. "Good bye Mr. Change!"

Not long afterwards, Dunder looked back at him and asked about his cutie mark. Peachy smiled and looked upwards as if preparing for a long story.

"Well... one might say I have my grandmother to thank. You see, I was a rather spoiled child who got whatever I wanted as long as I asked for it. As a result, she gave a suggestion to my parents. The next time I wanted something, I would have to earn it. As you would expect, I saw a hat I just had to have. To my surprise, when I asked for it, they told me I would have to earn it myself! I wasn't too happy about that, and expressed my disappointment by sketching angry faces of my teacher rather than paying attention at school. That's when the idea hit me. I could paint portraits to earn the money! By the time I earned enough, the hat became trivial compared to the enjoyment I got out of opening a portrait stand. My cutie mark appeared upon realizing that. " He tapped his hoof to his chin. "Come to think of it, I still have the hat. It's far too small now though but it's a nice reminder."

• 2 weeks later...

iBpctF8.png

Now entering Joe's Donut Shoppe was a pony most residents of Canterlot would recognize. The orange pelted Earth mare had the unmistakable look of sophistication upon her face. The blue blazer and jewelry she wore served to distinguish this blonde mare from other citizens of the city. She is Ms. Harshwhinney, Director of the Equestria Games. She had heard through the grapevine that there was an artist who was doing portraits of ponies here today, and she certainly wanted one. But first, Ms. Harhswhinney had to have her morning meal. Approaching the counter, the regal mare looked at Joe and nodded.

"I'll have my usual, Mr. Joe," Ms. Harshwhinney said, "one glazed donut and one cup of coffee with two creams and one sugar if you please."

She then walked over to Peachy Keen with the same indifferent expression on her face.

"You there! Are you the artist who is drawing portraits here today? If you are, then I would like one, ma'am. Is posing required? If so, how would you like for me to stand?"

Java listened to Dunder’s story just as intensely as he had with Peachy’s. Well, perhaps it wasn’t really a story. Just his pride and joy in his talent. Something Java could very much relate to. He is even willing to die for his talent. It was his pride. It was his joy away from home. In some other ways, the pony could relate. There had been times when he has thought of joining the REA. But he had always been happy with his life where it was as long as there was something to improve, or to tinker upon.

But then Peach made a comment towards his revelation. “Really,” Java hummed as he thought it over for a moment. Yes, he always appreciated his name. You only get one, and it just so happened to be after a very interesting algorithm. But for someone to say that his nickname was more preferable, was still pretty interesting. “JavaSun? Well, if I could change my name, I would. But I suppose I can keep using it~”

The engineering pony once more took his coffee into his hooves, and took a long sip from it again. The heat from the brew wasn’t to much of a bother for the pony. Regardless if it was pulled from the brewery only a mere few minutes ago. But then he heard an all too familiar voice.

“Ms. Harshwhinny,” Java hummed to himself promptly after lowering his mug back down to the table. He twisted about in his chair to look behind himself to the incredibly stern mare. The pony could hardly remember a time he’s seen her… actually smile without it looking like a scowl of some sort. But something did cause the pony a bit of confusion.

Ma’am?

Java quickly produced a pair of glasses from his vest, and slipped them over his eyes. His eyes quickly darting back to Peachy once more. And just as he thought, the pony was still a very attractive male.

“Uhm… not to rain on your parade, Ms. Harshwinny… but. I believe Peachy is a sir.” A mere few seconds later, an unconscious remark flowed from the pony’s mouth.

“All though, I’d ask him on a date, but I am sure he’s alre-“ The pony seized up. His eyes going wide as his hoof quickly went to cover his mouth. Yep. He's gotten way to comfortable, that his filters were beginning to fail him. And after realizing what he had just said. And what all came out, a blush appeared over his muzzle.

(ooc): WOW! MAJOR derp on my part with Ms. Harshwhinney here! I will have an explanation for her 'mistake' when my turn to post comes around again, sorry about that, CaptainMcDerp

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

Not long after finishing his story, a new pony with an impeccable fashion sense entered the cafe. Peachy looked on with intrigue. For one reason or another, he felt like he should know who this mare was. Maybe it was the dignified way she carried herself. Like she was somepony of great importance. Either way, she headed straight for him after making finishing her order to Pony Joe.

"You there! Are you the artist who is drawing portraits here today? If you are, then I would like one, ma'am. Is posing required? If so, how would you like for me to stand?"

Peachy blinked and gently raised an eyebrow. Either his ears were playing tricks on him or she just addressed him as 'ma'am.' His suspicions were confirmed when JavaSun piped in, assuring her Peachy was in fact a stallion. But he didn't stop there. Apparently Java would ask Peachy on a date if he didn't think he was already taken. Peachy couldn't help but grin as Java blushed and placed a hoof over his mouth. "Surprisingly enough, I am in fact not taken." He quickly remarked with a wink before turning his attention back to the mare.

"It's an honest mistake, my dear. I'm not exactly the most masculine stallion in Equestria after all. To answer your questions, yes I'm the artist drawing portraits. And all you have to do is take a seat in the client chair and I'll get right to work." He pointed in the direction of the chair placed in front of a blank canvas. "Posing isn't required but you can if you'd like." He glanced at Punk Walker, who was still snoozing away at his table. Better let him have his nap for now. Peachy levitated an assortment of paint colors over and cast another look at his new client. "You have quite an exquisite taste in fashion, love. If I may ask, what is your name? "

Dunder listened to the story that Peachy unfolded. Seems like this wasn't the first time Peachy had set up a stand for portraits. He must be doing well on his own if he was making the portraits for free. Or maybe his rich parents supported him? Dunder didn't want to think it true, but it was definitely an option. "Well, at least you stopped being a spoiled brat colt. I just wish I could have said the same thing about your taste in hats." Dunder said with a lighthearted chuckle as he motioned to Peachy's hat. "And lucky that you already were a rich pony. Might as well charge some of these ponies for their narcissism and make a living off of it."

What happened next Dunder disconnected from. First, a new mare with an up-strung atmosphere came up and mistook Peachy for a mare, then Java spoke up for Peachy. Not only that, but Java spouted one of the worst pick-up lines Dunder had heard in a while. Dunder took a deep breath and shook his head. Now Dunder had competition.

"Java, that was a terrible way to ask Peachy on a date. Though, now, you gave me no other choice." The pegasus ran a wing through his mane to fix any impurities.

He leaned over towards Peachy a little bit, trying his hardest to look suave. Though the best the pegasus could do was slap on a dopey smile. "Hey, Peachy, you know, I was thinking. We should go out for dinner when you're done with the whole painting thing. Maybe go buy some burritos with some beans and rice, ya know?" Dunder asked, trying his hardest to act casual.

iBpctF8.png

Ms. Harshwhinney was taken aback at the comments of the artist, Peachy Keen. How could she have made such an obvious mistake in judgment! As she puzzled over her error, she reached over to the counter to grab her cup of coffee. When she tilted it up to her head to drink, she was stunned when there was no coffee pouring into her mouth.

"What is THIS? Some sort of amusing prank, Mister Joe?" the orange mare muttered before she held the 'cup' up closer to her face. That's when she realized she had grabbed the napkin dispenser instead of a steaming cup of java. Now the reality finally struck her! Ms. Harshwhinney had left the house without putting in her contact lenses, AGAIN! Her face was now getting a red tint to it as her embarrassment filled her mind. Last week when she had left her contact lenses at home, the blonde maned Earth mare struck up a conversation with a statue in the royal garden for a half hour before realizing the truth. Those who had walked by probably thought she was talking to herself or acting goofy for some reason. Then there was the time she forgot to put them in and mistook Princess Luna for Celestia at the castle. Oh my! Ms. Harshwhinney prided herself in being efficient and precise. Turning to Peachy Keen, the blue vest wearing mare bowed her head sadly.

"Please forgive me, Mr. Keen. I have made a terrible mistake. My vision is rather, impaired, since I neglected to put my contact lenses in. I hope you will accept my apology and offer to draw my portrait, please?"

bannerfinal_zps46be51c5.png

Peachy realized the mare seemed a little preoccupied at the moment. He placed the quill on the desk and turned his attention back to Dunder and JavaSun. Dunder was quick to respond to Java's little slip up, but the pink stallion didn't expect what would happen next. The light brown pegasus combed his hair with his wing and edged a little closer with a rather silly smile on his face. "Hey, Peachy, you know, I was thinking. We should go out for dinner when you're done with the whole painting thing. Maybe go buy some burritos with some beans and rice, ya know?"

He wasn't sure if it was the expression on Dunder's face, the sentence, or a combination of both. Either way it tickled his funny bone something fierce. He tried his best to keep a straight face but was fighting a loosing battle. His strained expression gave away his struggle and he eventually broke down into a chuckle fit. "Hahahaha! I'm sorry! You two are just so adorable!" After finally getting his laughter under control, he wiped the tears from his eyes and smirked, levitating his hat from his head. "As for your offer, I'll be considering it. But don't think I forgot about your remark earlier regarding my taste in hats" He placed the hat on Dunder's head and leaned his chin on his hoof to inspect the result. It was a little small, but it gave him a charming, suave, business-like look. "It looks great on you, love. I don't know why you wouldn't want one yourself."

In the corner of his eye, he saw his new client attempting to drink from a napkin dispenser. Peachy turned his full attention to her and watched for a moment in bafflement. His immediate thought was that she had impaired vision since she mistook him for a mare earlier. His suspicions were thankfully confirmed when she starting blushing and apologizing. Impaired vision was the best case scenario, considering.

"Please forgive me, Mr. Keen. I have made a terrible mistake. My vision is rather, impaired, since I neglected to put my contact lenses in. I hope you will accept my apology and offer to draw my portrait, please?"

"Certainly! And there's no need to apologize. Just take a seat over there and I'll get right to work." He left his hat sitting on Dunder's head and trotted over to the client chair, scooting it a bit closer to the back of the canvas. After that little task was accomplished, he returned to his seat and retrieved the quill. "So what's your name, my dear?"

Java’s blush grew more prevalent after hearing Peachy’s, teasing call out towards him. Well, he was placed on the spot now. The pony hadn’t even expect such a slip up to come out so soon, but it happened. The stallion was about to open his jaws till he heard Dunder take over. Apparently calling him out on something he hadn’t intended to do, but was starting too. The pony’s mouth shut once more as he watched the spot light be whisked away to the muscular stallion.

The scholarly stallion watched the two’s interactions. And though his expression, curled up into what easily could have been a genuine smile. The pony felt like he had just been impaled through the back, and out the heart by some unknown entity. Such a spectacle reminded Java of his shier times when he was a colt. Try to confess his feelings, and some other pony comes in. Back when he was a little older and going through college. The same story, same ending only it was a male pony.

“Why the HECK am I so shy,” the pony thought to himself as he raised his mug back up to his jaws and took another long sip. Well, one thing he could definitely assure himself. One long night next to a teddy bear and a suspiciously large kitten.

The ponies eyes then glanced down to the list, wondering if he should go ahead and add his name at some point of time. The pony then finally looked back up after barely managing to steel his nerves.

“Have you thought about carrying a pair of back up glasses," Java asked as he now leaned out of his chair to get a closer look at the mare. Naturally, Java would, out of the kindness of his heart, offer the suffering creature a pair of his own glasses. But the chances that the prescriptions were anywhere near the same was absolutely impossible. After all, the mare proved to be blind in close range, while Java was only near sighted. "You know... for the moments you accidentally leave the contacts at home?"

• 2 weeks later...

Dunder was not sure whether or not to be offended by what Peachy had done. Dunder knew his execution of the proposal was more on the silly side, but deep down inside he knew that he wanted to actually take the pink stallion out to dinner. Dunder didn't dwell on what happened. Oh well... He thought just before the pink stallion magic'ed the hat over to rest on Dunder's head and commented that it looked good.

The pegasus felt the weight of the hat on his mane, and his first instinct was to take it off and offer it back to the pink stallion. But the stallion kept the foreign feeling object on his head and commented on Peachy's observations, "Oh, I don't do hats. Maybe I should, but I don't really. Unless I need a helmet, but that's a different story."

And when the next client trotted over, Dunder sat back. "And if we ate food together it'd be as friends, anyway. I mostly just want to repay you for this painting, and giving you food seems reasonable enough anyway."

iBpctF8.png

Having confessed her mistake, Ms, Harshwhinney was relieved to hear Peachy Keen's curtious reply.

"Thank you, Mr. Keen," the orange Earth Pony mare said confidently, "my name is Ms Harshwhinney, Director of the Equestria Games and I will gladly pose in any manner you wish for me to pose."

Hearing Java's voice, Ms. Harshwhinney turned towards Dunder before replying. (She thinks Dunder spoke to her)

"Perhaps I should do that in the future, that is a very thoughtful suggestion, thank you, sir."

"And if we ate food together it'd be as friends, anyway. I mostly just want to repay you for this painting, and giving you food seems reasonable enough anyway."

The pink stallion grinned and nodded. "I see. That's quite a sweet gesture, Dunder. Besides, who can pass on free food?"

When Harshwinny introduced herself, Peachy paused in the middle of writing her name down. "Director of the Equestria games?" He trotted over to the mare. "Oh of course! How silly of me not to recognize you earlier, Ms. Harshwhinny. Forgive me for my ignorance. I didn't expect to meet the director of the Equestria games. It'd be honored to paint your portrait." He returned to the sign up sheet and quickly wrote her name down. "I'll get started right away."

He sat on his seat and applied careful brush strokes to the canvas, establishing the basic color scheme with a thick coating of paint. The pink stallion fell a bit silent while adding the last of the details. This time around, he experimented with a shading technique he's been wanting to utilize and the outcome was rather nice. When he felt like the portrait was presentable enough, he turned the image around to face his client.

"Here you go, miss. I hope it meets your standards."

harshrezize_zps193fff82.png

"What is THIS? Some sort of amusing prank, Mister Joe?"

Joe was ready to reply to the inquisition when Mrs. Harshwhinny discovered her erorr. It was not like to friendly coffee shop owner to offend his patrons with practical jokes and he was happy to see the problem resolve without conflict.

"I hope the coffee is to your liking mame." He responded over his shoulder as he trotted into the back to check on a batch of donuts he had left to cool. They would be ready to sell right away. Only needed a bit of cooling so the frosting didn't melt. Soon he was positioning the tasty treats in his display, waiting for takers. It certainly was a busy day in the shop!

• 3 weeks later...

42HYfZs.jpg

She gave a laugh and smiled at her friend. "I know a Manehattan archaeologist who I'd say fits most of that bill, however, he is as fine and distinguished a gentlecolt as I can recall meeting. He was involved with my Snowfall for a while, but her, with all her lack of taste and sense rejected the opportunity. I met him myself not too many months ago and he treated me to the finest time here in Canterlot. We took in a showing of A Midnight Summer's Dream at the Canterlot Grand Theatre and had fine conversation,"

"Ah so you know, Doctor Merlot as well? I must admit he's been quite kind and charming to me as well when I speak to him. Like I said though I only heard that he's like that... " ,The stately pony felt a bit sad for her friend in that her own husband hadn't taken her to that show; but he'd been missing for quite a while and belle knew that could be a touchy subject for her friend. Belle decided it would be a better course of action to ask about the show itself, "A Midnight Summer's Dream... I haven't seen that in ages, I sure hope they did the play justice." In a way Belle rather envied miss Snowflake, she'd been hoping to see that show with her husband but something came up that required them to end any plans to see eachother anytime soon; official R.E.A. business and all that.

While her friend got her portrait done, Belle calmly waited. It looked like her daughter had managed to find one of her friend's here as well... particularly the pony who was doing portraits; he did look a tad familiar but belle couldn't put a hoof on where she'd seen him before. Before she could search through the depths of her memories to recall exactly where she might have seen peachy before, something somepony said snatched her interest away. If she recalled correctly it was the that stallion who tried to chew her out earlier for innocently (if loudly) pointing out a notable flaw in the service -or lack thereof- for her friend in this establishment.

“It's actually Voronoi Fractal. There is some kind of title before that due to my studies. But I don't remember what it was, and I am not to fond of being refereed to with formalities and honorifics anyways.”

`

Voronoi... that name was familiar. This time it didn't take too long to remember where she'd heard that name before. Long ago She'd taken her little filly along on a trip to meet an old friend from the distinguished nova family in Canterlot. If she remembered right the distinguished grandmother of the Nova family had a small, untidy, and hyperactive colt with her who went by the name of "Voronoi" . From what she'd seen of that little colt it semed he was most definitely not suited to the high life. Surely it couldn't hurt to ask This pony about this. Calmly cantering over to Javasun she gently tapped his shoulder to get his attention,"Excuse me, Mister Voronoi. May I talk to you a moment?"

4NJZodH.jpg

"Why thank you, Presteza, dear," she started, nodding. "You've grown to be quite a lovely young mare yourself. Your gentlecolt must be pleased,"

"Your mother says you're making your name as an artist at the moment," she said, nodding. "As one who knows art, what do you think about our Mr. Keen's capturing of my likeness? Personally, I'm quite pleased with it.. but the perspective of an artist on the work of another I think is always a valuable thing."

The freckles upon Presteza's cheeks were soon joined by a light shade of pink once the compliment from Miss Snowflake reached her ears. She was already quite aware of her own good (if usually disheveled) looks and she was downright proud of them, it was always nice to hear other's appreciated them though,"Well thanks, Miss Snowflake! I try ta keep myself lookin' good in my own way!" Like Crystal snowflake had said though, Merlot was more or less quite fond of her looks ; although he preferred the wilder expects of her style be tamed by a good salon before actually going out to any fancy places. Her relationship with Merlot was already a bit strange her mind, seeing as he seemed to be very different from this particular artistic mare; He liked fancy restaurants while Pressy loved simple folksy places. Merlot liked to have other do dirty work rather than do it himself. Most annoying to the young artist was his tendency to refer to common ponies as "plebeians", a trait that Presteza had hoped to cure him off.

In regards to the painting that her mother's friend had asked her about, Presteza wasn't sure what she could say about it besides,"It's really great! I really like how he did the ruffles on your outfit and the flower in your hat! Really Spectacular work in my opinion."

"Indeed! What a cute little creature that is. I just adore the fruit bat's vibrant colors."

"Oh... of course, I'd love to get a portrait from you, dear! I can't wait to see how much you've improved since then."

The little purple bat eagerly squeaked at Peachy and flew off from his owner's back and eventually rested on the pink stallion's horn in the usual fruit-bat manner. Presteza chuckled at peachy's expense and then smiled awkwardly, "Sorry about that peachy... He tends ta perch on anypony who thinks 'e's cute... 'e even once hung from Princess Celestia's horn!" she said with a chuckle. The mare made sure to take note of Peachy's reaction once he had a fruit bat hanging on his horn,"Hm... Maybe I should paint this situation! definitely a cute picture!"

After completing the portrait for Ms. Harshwinny, Presteza's fruit bat perched itself on his horn. His lips pulled into a smile and he looked up at it through a raised eyebrow.

"Sorry about that peachy... He tends ta perch on anypony who thinks 'e's cute... 'e even once hung from Princess Celestia's horn!"

"Princess Celestia? Well, that must've been quite an interesting story. I wish I would've been there."

When Presteza expressed her interest in painting this little scene, Peachy's eyes lit up as an idea hit. He could paint her portrait in return! Ms. Harshwhinny's painting had just been completed and he had no other costumers at the moment so he could do it right now!

"Oh that would be spectacular. I can't wait to see how much you've improved, love. And as a way of saying thanks, how about I paint your portrait as well? I've no other costumers at the moment so I could get started right away." He trotted over to his chair and sat down, preparing the paint as the fruit bat balanced on his horn. He wasn't taking no for an answer. Peachy gestured towards the customer chair, his next words coming out in a singsong voice. "Simply take a seat right over there when you're ready!" As he was mixing the colors, he took another glance at the little fruit bat. "So how did you come to acquire a pet such as this?"

Java had been watching Peachy continue his painting. His eyes curiously watching each and every stroke as he took another sip from his mug of coffee. When his eyes noticed the final stokes being placed, his hooves slowly lowered the mug back to the table. His body slowly leaning forward to get a good look at the painting to see what kind of beauty had been slapped onto a blank canvas. A canvas that screamed to be filled like all the previous ones he had.

But alas, the mare he had verbally assaulted for her unkindness to the owner of his favorite donut shop had stepped in. The stallion blinked at the sudden taps on his shoulder, and slowly looked up to the face of the mare. Initially, there was a hint of agitation from this action. Judging from their previous engagements not long ago, Java only assumed that she had only unkind things to say to him. And if this was the case, he wasn't going to allow her the pleasure of continuing her rudeness. Especially when she stood in the way of a particularly interesting show and a cute stallion!

Java's brows were lowered, as his expression turned away from it's usual jolly and happy go lucky smile, to a very impassive flat expression. His irritation clearly showing through, even thought he did his best to try and show the mare some form of respect. Like he had promised because of her name. But... this expression soon faded away to a blank thoughtful expression. He could of sworn he had heard that name.

Maybe it was a name from so long ago? When he was a colt? He recognized the same vouls and everything. His eyes slowly shifted to Pressy, whom was in the meantime with Peachy. The stallion had known her for longer than he had actually let off. And this mare in front of him shows some sort of relationship status with her. Curious.

But, it wasn’t just that. Silver had actually surprised with him with what she had wanted. It wasn’t just to step in where her hoof kissing friend had been. Instead, she merely wanted to talk to him! Something that Java generally turned down quickly on nutshell. He felt disarmed from this notion.

On top of that, with the mare coming into the stallion’s focus, allowing him to get a better look at her without the need of his glasses, he could admit that she was attractive. He’d hop up right now to give her a kiss if not to compliment, then to spite. Which this feeling was incredibly peculiar. He felt like he remembered her face.

Slowly his mind wondered away, figuring it may be worth an effort to try and figure out who this mare was. His mind quickly pulling up a large list of mares he had met up to this point. Compairing their faces with her’s. And if it didn’t match, he’d just toss it out and go to the next one. Of course he grew increasingly more frustrated as time went on. His left eye began twitching as no match appeared. That was till he decided to go back a bit further, to when he was a foal. And there it was. A perfect match. If he remembered correctly, the image belonged to Pressy’s mother. Which was… once again odd. The two look exactly the same. He was about to dismiss the thought, till his mind suddenly recalled a very small phrase that Silver had used earlier. Daughter.

Java’s expression remained plain for a few more seconds. And then finally it struck him. His eyes quickly lit up with shock. The fur on his neck stood on end. And his jaw slackened enough for his mouth to fall open just slightly. He looked as if he had seen a ghost.

“W-wait, what!?” The pony thought to himself. He brought the past image of the mare up to her side, and quickly compared the differences between the two. His eyes were shifting back and forth, the left one twitching even faster. He couldn’t spot a hair of a difference! Not even in weight!

His memories of this mare was back when he was a foal! A foal! A colt! Cutie Mark, fresh! Still in school! Well before college! This was years ago! And this mare! This mother of a child, who’s now a full grown mare, STILL LOOKS THE SAME!

Was this simply unique to Unicorns!? His memory tried to recall what his grandmother had looked like. But, she’s never seen her in her younger years. And asking for her age would result in his hide being tanned. What about his mother?! She’s a noble too! How old was she? Java couldn’t even get that answer out from her either! In fact, for all he could remember, the mare looked the same to him! But that was nothing to go by!

So how was it that this mare hadn’t changed! It, it was impossible.

The stallion was now visibly trembling from both his mental freakout, and perhaps a slight hint of fear after realizing two new things. A, he’s been found out. And B, he wasn’t entirely sure just how scary this mare could be when furious. Especially if it kept a rough mare like Pressy in check when she was a foal to.

“E-ah…er…s-sure,” Java chuckled with a nervous tone in his voice. His facial expression was clearly the epitome of spoken memories. His hoof motioned for her to have a seat. Though he half expected to get dragged off somewhere, and forcefully slammed against a wall.

iBpctF8.png

When Ms. Harshwhinney heard the voice of Peachy Keen announcing that her portrait was ready, the orange pelted Earth mare moved towards his table, narrowly avoiding colliding with other customers in Pony Joe's Donut Shoppe. The still very nearsighted mare managed to reach his table and saw the portrait. Of course, she had to stand VERY close to it and examine each inch of it with her eyes, keeping her nose away from the surface so not to smudge the paint.

"This portrait is extraordinary, Mr. Keen!" Ms. Harshwhinney shouted out. "I am quite pleased with your work, you do have much artistic talent!"

It was then she heard the voice of the proprietor mention coffee. It was then it dawned on her that the words she had initially spoken could have come off as sounding insulting. This served to embarrass the blue blazer wearing mare even more. She simply had to apologize to him! Her nearsighted state made the simple task of returning to the counter somewhat, challenging. She tried to follow his voice, but soon tripped over an empty table in her path, falling to the floor with a loud crash. Undeterred, Ms. Harshwhinney got back up on her four hooves and pressed onward, bumping into several empty chairs before reaching the counter. She was about to speak, but then realized she was now looking at the cash register eye-to-eye and not Donut/Pony Joe. Turning her head, she hoped the moving blob she saw looking back at her was the owner of the shoppe.

"Mr. Joe," she said in a less forceful, more of a softer tone, "I do apologize for my initial accusation. I know you as a very stalwart, honorable pony who would never pull such a prank of your customers. Please, I beg forgiveness for jumping to conclusion about your integrity. I hope you would please overlook my bad manners and ill temper in this matter. I would be delighted to sample your wonderful coffee, if you, wouldn't mind reaching the coffee mug to me. I must confess, due to my own errors, I am unable to see very clearly at the moment."

Archived