In the Veiled Garden (Bohemian Club, Open)

Blueblood

Frdnlm6.png

Sweet bucking Celestia, that purr. Inkbrand idly wondered how offended Zelda would be if he pressed his cheek up against her feathers the next time she made that sound, just to feel the vibrations coming off her chest.

"Occasional adventurer, huh? Should have known it was you that's been running through my mind all day," Inkbrand said, not even batting an eyelash at the cheesy pick-up line, even as he discreetly caught the bartender's eye and glanced down at Zelda's empty glass. The bartender nodded his head slightly, holding off his own drink to prepare whatever it was the griffon was drinking, and the grey Earth Pony turned his head back towards Zelda with toothy grin, eyes fallen to half-slits.

"I'm Inkbrand," he introduced, "Tattoo Artist Extraordinair, best bucking tattooist in Equestria." Inkbrand leaned back on the stool a bit, to better maneuver his body to face the black griffon as he leaned one elbow onto the bar, propping up his head on his hoof. "And I'm much obliged, doll," he added as the bartender returned with not one, but two drinks, with the latter one - presumably the same drink the griffon had been nursing earlier - sliding across towards Zelda. Inkbrand snatched his up with one hoof, raising it above his head in a mocking toast and a rowdy, "Cheers!", before slamming his head back for that first fiery taste.

If it tasted better because of his drinking partner, well, Inkbrand wasn't about to complain.

A good fourth of the mug had been drained by the time Inkbrand pulled back, smacking his lips and running a tongue over his muzzle a touch longer than was strictly appropriate. Somehow though, Inkbrand wasn't worried about the griffon kicking up a fuss, and he set his mug back down on the counter, eyes half-lidded as he savored the taste.

"So you like what you see, huh?" Inkbrand questioned out of the blue, in reference to the griffon's comment on his "wonderful markings". The grey Earth Pony swiveled around in his stool to full face Zelda, hind legs spread so she could see the extent of his most elaborate tattoo, the one that encircled his entire left hind leg. "Tattoos are all about self-expression - they can mean anything you want, or nothing at all." Inkbrand's tone grew lower as he idly tapped a hoof against the simpler tattooer encircling his right hind leg, before abruptly scooting closer towards Zelda, once again leaning his elbow against the counter to keep balance.

"Sometimes, you can even find out everything you need to know about a stallion by his tats," he murmured softly, as if sharing a confidential secret with the black griffon. "If you take the time to examine them reeeaaal close, that is."

kafyBGS.jpg

Such conversation was a pleasure, but duty was calling for Earth Writer, both as a club member as well as a journalist. "It's been lovely talking to you all, but a prospective member is showing his credentials two tables down, and I'd like to take a look at 'em." Excusing himself politely, the tan unicorn sauntered over to where Moonshield had his easel, nodding in greeting to his small audience.

"Welcome to the Veilgarden! I'm Earth Writer, one of the journalist Bohemians. Heard we were voting on a new membership tonight, and wanted to take a little look your work." Admittedly, Earth was not much of a painter himself, but he knew enough about the craft to talk somewhat intelligently about it. He inspected the nocturnes on display, taking notes in his little pad as he moved from one to the other.

"Well, the brushwork is competent, and you've got an eye for the subtleties of the darker shades of blue and purple." It was always a good idea to begin with compliments, it made whatever had to follow go down easier. "I'd have a few words to say about composition and balance, but... that kind of isn't your doing, you know? You're painting pictures of somepony else's art, in this case, Princess Luna's. Not bad pictures, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a lot of your effort seems to be trying to use paint and canvas like replica tools, instead of developing originality in style or theme."

The Bohemians did not, of course, expect masterpieces. Most of their members would never be anything more than minor artists in their field. What was expected, however, was the possibility of masterpiece. The artist must always be, to some extent, in development; hammering out a manuscript, developing a style, or beating critics and the public over the head with incomprehensible artistic jargon until they realized the true genius of their work. It was what gave frission to their discussions.

And so here it was that the door opened up to reveal the latest entrant to the club - a Unicorn who was somewhat known for her wild nights and crazy parties whenever she could make such an event happen - Vinyl Scratch, esteemed DJ and hostess of some of Equestrias underground musical shows, had made her way to a l'il place she visited now and then....a place where folks could gather without any pretense of dealing with the more aggrevating sides of their usual working day - or life, for that matter.

Seemed like tonight the place was especially lively - some new faces, as alwys, gathered looking sheepish or trying to boldly get into the swing of things unhindered - she had to admire that, too...it took a brave Equestrian sometimes to initiate some kinda open dialogue wih somepony they barely knew in a setting like this. Still, for now she ignores the rabble and groups - casting a small glance and a smirk around at those looking at her as she walks by - as she makes her way over to the bar to get a little liquid refreshment...nights like this where she had nothing on and no place to go usually had her out on a wander, and tonight she had found herself once again in the thralls of the Bohemian club, and she was fine with that.

Sure, it wasn't exactly what she'd say was the most happening or musically vibrant location, but it WAS a place where she could get her fill of chilling out with some slightly less crazy ponies an' take time to just breathe - much as she loved having herself the time of her life at nights, she couldn't help but wanna unwind now and then too...afteral, there was only so much intensity you could take before you found yourself exhausted taking part.

She quietly slips over to the bar and looks over her shades briefly at the bartender....a chuckle given as she simply reiterates her usual order.

" Cinnamon an' Apple martini mix - plenty of ice! "

The eclectic mix of Ponies & other critters in here tonight seemed to be worth checking out at her leisure - Vinyl was sure there'd be some fun to be had, at the very least. For now, she simply lazed by the bar and enjoyed the ambiance...watching the world from behind the famous purple shades.with interest.

Dissy had gotten several responses from her rather impromptu introduction of herself and her niece. The reactions to her were rather expected, nothing to surprising there. The reactions to her niece being with her was less so. Surprisingly most seemed rather OK with her being there, even the tattooed stallion, whom she respectfully misjudged on looks, which probably wouldn't have happened if she hadn't had Bebop with her at all she mused to herself. Still she elected to do what she always did, go with the flow.

She pondered if the Saxbird balloon lungs or was just full of hot air. She wouldn't say that to his face, but she was still curious. She had played with more than a few capable players of the past. Still she laughed a bit at the player's comment about how flat tires and still getting somewhere. "They may get you somewhere but not the way you may want to go," she playfully responded "As for my instrument, I got the chops for the keys. I can play others, but no other can I swing like the good ol' piano. Perhaps we could jam before the night is over saxbird" Dissy said with an almost seductive tone.

The mint green mare seemed to be all jazzed up from the performance, this made Dissy want to play all the more. At this point she was itching to hop on the piano they had set up on stage. Though she also seemed to know, at least from passing glance, her niece. "I'd love to swing it for ya. Mind looking after my niece while I do?" Dissy looked over at her adorable niece who seemed to be enjoying herself. "Unless of course she'd like to make my solo into a duet, and show every pony her true voice" Dissy said with an inviting smile at her niece. She wasn't sure she'd take the offer or if she'd be able to keep up with her playing, but it isn't about proficiency here, but enjoying yourself and making some tunes for all to enjoy, and she knew Bebop had the chops to do at least that.

At that point the tattooed stallion made a comment about hope having nothing to do with finding your creative expression and on the whole, he was right. It is more about the drive. Dissy knew this better than most. Having talent but no drive lead to little. Before she could reply he headed over to the bar, but before she could drink she needed to have a round on stage first. "If you want to jam with me kitten you should come along, you too Mr Saxbird, if you don't need the rest that is." she said inviting both to the stage as she made her way. She didn't even notice the wouldbe celebrity who just made her way to the bar...

Moonshield was not surprised, he knew criticism was inevitable at some point.

He set his brush down in the water cup and turned to the reporter. "Well, the positive feedback is appreciated. To be honest I was not expecting much of it tonight." He said, taking a break from the work and making observations of his own creation, cleaning the paint from his hooves. The painting had come along nicely, the distant planet coming through excellently, and the detailed night sky seems to radiate from the canvas itself.

"I'm very much aware that my art is only a recreation of another's, but in all honestly, I'm not attempting to pass it off as original works. You see, I'm an astronomer back home in the Empire, and it's a job I have dreamed about since I was a colt, but there are times I'm left feeling as if I can't truly appreciate Luna's night." Moonshield reached for his saddlebags and pulled a portrait he had previously created, a grassy hillside with the shimmering stars of night in the background, a large crescent moon hanging in the distance. "Maybe you've seen a similar painting hanging in the halls of the castle near Luna's chambers. That's because Princess Luna requested a copy of it, saying it was one of the most beautiful representations of her night she has ever seen." He gently placed it back in his bags, not wanting to dwell on it further and look as if he were being cocky about it. "When I paint the night sky, I do so because it's an outlet for me to truly appreciate the vast expanses of the universe beyond our mortal eyes. If you truly want to see something more original, I suppose I could give it a shot. Membership in the Bohemian Club would be a wonderful accomplishment."

Leo smiled after reading the notepad. A pony who can’t speak? He couldn’t really feel sorry for her, but instead he did respect her greatly. Not a lot of Griffons back home were to kind about any form of weakness, and for her to wance in a place with griffons mixed in the crowd, formidable.

“And it’s a pleasure to meet you too, little filly,” Saxbird hummed cooly, leaning a ways over the table so he could see her. He remembered distinctly hearing her aunt mention something about enjoying music. He was actually curious what sort of instrument the little foal had brought to the table. The lack of a cutie mark that ponies everywhere seemed to be branded with didn’t make it easy to predict either.

His gaze then shifted up after hearing Inkbrand's voice once more. The Griffon found him now by another griffon, though of the female gender. Looks like he had some badluck with the pony, but may get lucky with the griffon. But that pickup line he rolled out with? NOW THAT'S FORWARD. Near the equivalent of just asking for a hay mate in the middle of a classroom with foals. Leonard nearly bursted out into a snicker after hearing this. He could admit that Inkbrand had guts. But if he actually did get the griffoness, he'd have to give him the ole "bro" salute.

"They may get you somewhere but not the way you may want to go," she playfully responded "As for my instrument, I got the chops for the keys. I can play others, but no other can I swing like the good ol' piano. Perhaps we could jam before the night is over saxbird" Dissy said with an almost seductive tone.

To this, the bird had been quite receptive to the flirtatious note, and grinned almost immediately. His talons tacked at the table momentarily, just before he slid himself back, leaning a bit closer to Dissy. “Gotta start somewhere. The tire just needs some air. And the longer ya blow, the smoother the ride,” he cooed, returning the playful note. Before finally sliding out of his chair, and back onto all four.

The bird motioned to his crew for them to go ahead and relax, and in response he got the equivalent of a thumbs up. While the bird usually performs on stage with a crew, and written music. He was very capable of playing freestyle! In fact, that’s how all of his own songs began. Just letting the music poor out.

“Mmm… I’d enjoy to see what you got. And bring the little one with you. Tonight, she plays with the big-timers,” Leo hummed softly as he began to saunter up to the stage, following directly behind the attractive mare. He removed his sax from behind his wing once he came to a stool up on stage.

14j6bth.jpg

The black griffon snatched up the wine glass, “As they say in Stalliongrad.", she tapped the stallion's glass, "Za fstryé-tchoo!", she took a sip from her wine, "Mind you, over there, they tend to start their drinking with something a bit more potent than this wine I'm currently drinking, but I prefer to start off slow and sweet and then end it all with a bang." She had another sip as the pony went about his introduction, which did not fail to draw another smile on the blacksmith's beak. She studied his front leg which appeared to be marked with a small chain. "I've just never seen a pony with such ink-age before. Is it actually on your coat? It couldn't be on your skin, how would we see it?"

Not particular sure what he was about to do as he moved his leg, the curious griffon's eyes remained on the impressive looking stallion, "Oh.", she glanced down a little further to get a good look. "It's almost if after receiving your cute little butt mark, you kept getting more and more due to your never-ending supply of new talents.", she placed a claw on his bottom leg, which after remembering there was a kid not that far from where she sat, she quickly scooted back, "Sorry.", she chuckled, "Love the color as well. Maybe I should get something done. I could get my own cutie mark.", she ended her last word with a 'purr' once again. "It's just so unfair that zebras and ponies get their own little magic mark on their rumps, but not griffons." she mock-whined, "You'll have to give me your card when you wish. Tonight, or tomorrow. It does not matter, but I'll have to check your place out.", she smoothed the wrinkles from her dress as she added, "I work in the smithy at the nearby base near the castle. Maybe I'll convince the two princess sisters that they need a tatt of their own. Imagine that, those two with matching markings?"

dyt8rsY.jpg

"Hope's got buck all to do with it,Make sure you stay excited when its your turn on the stage, Slide,"

The eager little filly’s eyes were almost wide as saucers when Inkbrand approached. Wow, this stallion was tall! All those tattoo designs were really interesting and that unique tail and mane style he had really made him stand out(but in a good way).

When the stallion approached her and held out his hoof the filly only did what was natural and gave him a hoofbump in return. Her own smaller hoof colliding with the dark gray earth pony’s with a tiny sounding,”clop” sound. Soon after though he left to go get a drink and seemed to be determined to speak to that really pretty griffin by the bar.

"So, what do we have here? A foal prodigy, an apprentice in the fine arts, or just a filly out for a good time?"

“And it’s a pleasure to meet you too, little filly,”

Once again turning to her trusty little notepad, Bebop wrote out a reply for the nice stallion who posed this question. On the little implement it asked why she couldn’t be all three, the little blonde filly who wrote it looking at earth writer with an innocent smile.

Aunt Dissy was still as cool as ever so Bebop had to make sure not to cramp her style. She didn’t wanna look silly in front of these awesome artists. The griffin who was apparently named Saxbird seemed really cool! From his name the Jazzy filly could only imagine he was some kind of awesome saxophone player that could put her own attempts to shame.

"Unless of course she'd like to make my solo into a duet, and show every pony her true voice"

"If you want to jam with me kitten you should come along, you too Mr Saxbird, if you don't need the rest that is."

“Mmm… I’d enjoy to see what you got. And bring the little one with you. Tonight, she plays with the big-timers,”

The brown coated filly gasped a moment in shock when she heard her aunt and Mister Saxbird make the offer. This was so cool! A chance to play with some of the (presumably) best musicians in Canterlot? There was no way in her life that she was gonna turn down this. Without missing a beat the filly stepped forward in a flash, her little notepad having already been written upon … was that smoke coming off the tip of her pencil?

On the pad it said that she knew how to play several instruments, but she only had one on her person right now; her favorite harmonica. Below her sentence were some little drawings of the instruments she knew how to play,a guitar, a harmonica, and a saxophone. Under those pictures was a sentence asking which they wanted her to play.

Honestly, Moonshield's measured response to criticism was almost disappointing to Earth Writer. After the cockiness of Inkbrand had formed the basis for some very entertaining banter, followed by the sparks from Saxbird and Dizzy, there was something in this conversation that seemed to lack salt. Still, the reporter couldn't really fault the painter for that. After all, to mention Royal patronage almost in passing was either the result of careful conversational artifice, or genuine modesty, and both were rare enough articles for the interest of the Low Society.

"Heh, most ponies in this town think we're something one falls into, not what one aspires to attain. Still, like I said, you've got technical skill enough. If you can show us a vision of the sky that we couldn't just go out and see for ourselves in Luna's original masterpiece, that'll be an artistic legacy, all right. I will follow your career with interest, however the vote turns out." He saluted the artist, taking his leave briefly. From what he could tell, the stage was being set up again, and the stallion felt like getting a drink before then.

Earth Writer was not a complicated pony; mixed drinks weren't in his line. A simple pour of the House Red was enough for him; the Veiled Garden kept a pretty good cellar for its symposia. Besides, as he maintained, the poets praised wine more than, say, gin. Going to the bar put him back near Inkbrand and the griffoness, who actually seemed to be hitting it off with each other. Looking over to the other side of him, he saw a not entirely unexpected figure. Smiling a bit, he raised his glass in a kind of toast towards Vinyl. "Nice of you to join us. Missed the first act, but the second promises to blow it out of the water. Hopefully, the editor likes the review." He laughed to himself. "I can't believe I'm paid for this. Well, here's to the Bohemians!" And he raised his glass to his lips.

8551964415_94230e5678_o.jpg

Fuchsia Blooms was not a member of the Bohemian Club, and the attitude of the earth pony journalist perfectly illustrated why.

"You're painting pictures of somepony else's art, in this case, Princess Luna's. Not bad pictures, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a lot of your effort seems to be trying to use paint and canvas like replica tools, instead of developing originality in style or theme... Still, like I said, you've got technical skill enough. If you can show us a vision of the sky that we couldn't just go out and see for ourselves in Luna's original masterpiece, that'll be an artistic legacy, all right."

The unicorn mare snorted. "Clearly, sir, you are no artist. After all, what is painting, but using brush and palette to recreate on canvas the scenes laid out before us in nature? Luna may raise the moon, but she didn't create the stars and planets any more than Celestia hoof paints every sunrise." She gave the writer a withering glance, and continued on. "It might surprise you, mister, to know that not everypony has access to the Royal Observatory, and therefore not all of us can just go out and see the night sky as you so clearly can. I appreciate the efforts of astronomer-artists like Moonshield to share the beauty of what he can see every night with the rest of the ponies of Equestria."

When the writer took his leave of the two of them, Fuchsia turned towards Moonshield with a bit of a blush on her cheeks. "I'm sorry, you probably didn't need me to come to your rescue like that. But I felt it was important to speak up in defense of your work. If I had a vote, you would get mine. But alas, I am not a member here, just a guest visiting the pub." She stood up, and smiled brightly at the astronomer. "It looks like another group of musicians is setting up for a set on stage. I feel the need to dance. If you like, perhaps you could join me?"

Frdnlm6.png

Inkbrand felt his smile stretch even further into a leer as the black griffon went about inspecting his tattoos, and with a genuine interest if he wasn't mistaken. In all honesty, Inkbrand wouldn't have been all that offended if Zelda had faked her interest - it sure as hay wasn't uncommon for a stranger to pretend a vague interest in another's passion during the "getting-to-know-you" phase - but her apparent sincerity made his chest puff out a little, and also made him idly wonder if he should add some design around his neck or underbelly.

Not that he minded a smoking hot griffon checking out his back legs, no sir, but still.

"Got it in one, baby, right on the skin," he said languidly, eyes half-lidded as he studied Zelda from over the rim of his mug. "It's the only way to get them permanent, the surface just washes away in a few days," Inkbrand explained, with a dismissive wave of one hoof at the mention of temporary tattoos. Only for bucking soft-hearted ponies without the guts to commit, and how ironic was that? "My ink's enchanted," the grey stallion extrapolated, "fancy unicorn stuff. Shows up just fine under short fur. For the rest, I can stain long fur - or feathers. Way more expansive though - it's a lot harder to work only surface deep."

Inkbrand had to let out a soft chuckle at Zelda's comment on the "butt mark", teeth glittering as a full blown grin stretched over his face. More cutie marks meant more talent, obviously…where had he heard that before? And hay yeah, she wanted his card. The tattoo-clad pony was careful to keep his exp<b></b>ression relaxed rather than gleeful as he slipped a hoof into the black bandana around his leg, pulling out one of a few business cards he'd brought with him. The Veiled Garden was, after all, a perfect place to advertise - an aspiring artist never knew when an opportunity was going to come waltzing along like a sultry black griffon slinking into a pub.

"Tonight," Inkbrand stated rather than asked, sliding the card over the countertop towards the griffon, "and if you could convince even one of those royal sisters to get a tattoo from my parlor, a free inking of your own would be the least of your thank-yous." The grey stallion honestly wasn't sure how serious Zelda was about that - and even if she was, he highly doubted those two siblings would ever consider marking themselves up with tats. They were far too traditional and minimalistic for that. Still, Inkbrand had to stop himself from salivating at the thought, imagining one of the two sisters going around with his tattoo, providing the best advertisement to end all advertisements.

That, plus the image of Princess Luna with a spiraling, crescent moon pattern draping down from her dark splotch into tendrils that delicately wrapped around her slim ankles and -

Woah, nelly. 'Whew.'

Impromptu and therefor inappropriate fantasies of a tattoo-clad Luna aside, Inkbrand suddenly realized that the bar had gotten a bit more crowded since he had ambled over. A vaguely familiar white unicorn with a vibrant blue mane and tail was resting a few paces downwards, causing Inkbrand's head to tilt a bit. It was the shades that jolted his memory, reminding him of the unicorn's presence in the pub every so often. Earth Writer had headed over to the bar as well, to speak to the white unicorn, while up on the stage, Harmonic Dissonance had been joined by Saxbird and her niece, looking in preparation for a tune.

Hmm. Depending on the music Dissonance played…

Inkbrand drained another good portion of his drink and set it on the bar, turning to once again regard Zelda with a lazy gaze. Buck, how often did he get to meet such a chill and relaxed griffon? A chill and relaxed anypony, really? It didn't even matter how the night was going to end, or whether this meeting would progress or simply fizzle out as the sun came out. What mattered was the fun of it, the game, and Inkbrand was sure as hay having lots of it.

"You're welcome to 'check my place out' anytime you'd like, Zelda," the grey stallion murmured as he slowly slid off his stool, leaning over the black griffon for a moment, "front door's always open." Without so much as a question or invitation, Inkbrand hooked a hoof through her elbow and tossed his head in the direction of the dance floor with a grin, attempting to tug Zelda out of her seat as the musicians set about their performance.

kafyBGS.jpg

For some reason, Moonshield got the feeling that the reporter didn't think his personality didn't fit that of the Club. It was fairly obvious to him why anypony would think this though, after all Moonshield did just give him a modest explanation rather than a cocky retort. At any rate, he was given honest criticism, and was mostly praising his techinical skill, and that was something he wasn't about to complain about recieving.

"Well I certainly appreciate your time, Earth Writer, and don't worry, I'll give you something to think about when voting time comes."

"It might surprise you, mister, to know that not everypony has access to the Royal Observatory, and therefore not all of us can just go out and see the night sky as you so clearly can. I appreciate the efforts of astronomer-artists like Moonshield to share the beauty of what he can see every night with the rest of the ponies of Equestria."

Moonshield's responses to Earth Writer were far more reserved than Fuchsia's, and found himself quite warmed at her defense of him. He made him happy to know that he had proved to himself that he could connect with ponies and create something that ponies appreciated, to the point where they defended him no less.

"I'm sorry, you probably didn't need me to come to your rescue like that. But I felt it was important to speak up in defense of your work. If I had a vote, you would get mine. But alas, I am not a member here, just a guest visiting the pub."

"Well, I definitely appreciate the support. Honestly I wasn't surprised that he felt my work wasn't original, but like you said, not everypony can see the true beauty of the night sky the way me and my co-workers can back home at the observatory. Again, I truly appreciate the support." He took another look at the painting he had just completed. It was nearly finished, with only some details on the stars and maybe another coat of navy for the sky remaining. "Seems we're in the same boat then. Being a guest here is just as nice, you get the same hospitality just about."

"It looks like another group of musicians is setting up for a set on stage. I feel the need to dance. If you like, perhaps you could join me?"

Moonshield smiled and put his supplies back in his bag to keep them safe, leaving his paintings on the easels for display. "I would love to, Fuchsia." He said, taking her hoof and heading for the dance floor.

Lyra just smiled and enjoyed the vibe. Mr. Tattoos had gone off to try his "charm" out on a different target, a griffoness with black fur and feathers, it seemed. Mr Writer meanwhile had found new conversations with some of the other club goers. That left her with the musicians. She grinned as the conversation progressed, Harmonic Dissonance at first asking Lyra to watch her little niece only to then ask her to accompany her on stage with the Saxbird. It was sounding like fun, Lyra had to say. Music was something to be enjoyed in groups for sure.

"Ooh, well, in that case, maybe Lyra could tag along and show her skills too!" the cheeky unicorn mare started in cheerfully. "I've never really played jazz before... or even really heard of a jazz lyrist...but I think I could feel it out!" she added with a nod. She could, of course, play more than just her lyre, but it was all she had on her.

"Totally your call. but you are looking at probably Ponyville's best lyrist here," she said with a playful grin to DIssy and the others, knowing full well how silly it was to say. As far as she was aware there were no other lyrists in Ponyville.

14j6bth.jpg

"Amazing.", the griffon could only utter as she returned her gaze back to the stallion's ink-work, "One of my old teachers back in Rockwington burned the natters out of his shoulder while on a job. And while modern magical medical-work healed him up real good, for some reason, he wasn't able to grow his fur back over his right shoulder, so he had some guy ink him up. Turned out pretty good, but it wasn't magic, that's for sure." With the filly distracted, the curious griffon scooted a little closer, "You don't mind if I touch your front leg there. I wanna see if I can feel the marking. If it's magic, there might be a slight tingle." If permitted, she ran a hand around his leg, "Oh yeah, that's something. You'll have to get me marked. Just don't know what I should have done or where it should be done on." She pulled away and scooted back onto her stool, "Getting flashbacks. This all reminded me of my 'Pat The Pony' book I hand when I was a kid. Or anatomy classes I had to take last year."

Zelda turned her head slightly as heard instruments being jostled about. Apparently some other musicians, including the cute filly were about to put on a little concert of their own. "Check it out, looks like we're gonna be getting some fresh tunes pretty soon, and that kid, so dang cute. Almost makes me want to have one of my own." As the stallion helped the griffon out of her chair, she made sure to quickly finish off whatever remaining liquid she had in her glass before getting up. She followed Inkbrand while whispering, "Just a little warning. I'm not the greatest of dancers, but I know a few moves.". She hoped the pony knew at least a few of his own, as there was nothing as unpleasant as getting stomped on by a heavy pony hoof.

Once on the floor, the blacksmith whispered once more, "Oh, before we end up looking really silly, I need to ask. How do you prefer to dance? On all fours, or are you able to move on your hind legs? I can do both."

• 2 weeks later...

Well things were getting interesting, what initially started as a plan for a duet (maybe a trio) was now a quartet. It wasn't like Dissy would ever turn any musician down for a jam session, even if they played a nontraditional jazz instrument. In fact the lyre wasn't a jazz instrument at all as far as Dissy knew (that is to say she had never met anyone who played the lyre for jazz). But this.... this is what made the Bohemian club so interesting. Still this set up was off to Dissy... 2 lead instruments? Fine, 3? She could make it work. But now four instruments that could hold a song and no support instruments? This was going to be tricky, at the very least she would try and see if she could get two support members to make this a sextet. "Hey Saxbird. This don't feel quite right to me. So many instruments that can sing a song and no backbones to keep the groove, ya know? You think your bassist and drummer would mind terribly to make this little jam session a sextet? It would certainly help to get everyone in the groove. Ya dig?" Dissy inquired to the saxophonist. She looked at the collection of players and turned to her niece. "Ya wanna play the guitar? Seems odd to have two saxes go, unless the saxbird over there is alright with doing a duo sax." She looked at him for confirmation of her suggestion.

As she cantered onto the stage Dissy moved towards the grand piano they had, kicked open the lid to it's shortest stilt, and blew the dust off the key cover. She slowly lifted the cover and tested a few of the keys, when satisfied. "You all get ready, especially you miss lyre. I've never jammed with a lyrist before. This should be a session to remember."

Vinyl paused as she sipped her drink a moment, having been paying attention for the moment towards the stage and it's occupants - she was always fond of checking out other acts and other ponies works, and a place like this was always an interesting spot to come chill an' get a different slice of life when it came to music, which she herself was something she had something in common over. Vinyls tastes in music were fairly wide ranging, the young unicorn mare having been brought up around an eclectic range of musics as a filly thanks to her musically inclined folks...it was them whom she quietly thanked for her appreciation for music, both great an' unknown.

She was brought out of her mini-daze of focus by a voice nearby - a reporter of some repute, or somethin'....she vaguely recalled his face but he was gettin' pretty overly chummy - musta been one of those she'd spoken to before at some point, or was just assuming that because his name was on the tip of his tongue meant that there was an assumed familiarity on both sides. Still, she was not a mare to make a fuss where a fuss wasn't gonna be needed, and thus she raises her own glass at him in a small telekinetic spark as a gesture of acknowledgemenyt.

" Huh, guess I'll jus' have to check it out! " she says with a small chuckle, settling back on her chair and stretching a little as she regarded the scene transpiring on stage. " Luna knows, I do loves me a good musical interlude...at least in a place like this there's always promise of somethin' new and exciting just around the corner! " the DJ Unicorn comments with the hint of her usual grin dancing on her muzzle. " Let the good times roll, heh heh "

And thus she simply takes another long sip of the glass floating before her, her attention drifting around the room - seemed like an interesting bunch of characters down this way - maybe one day she should try takin' a performance down here or something, she ponders to herself...and then quickly snickers - naaaaah, it wasn't likely these pon's could handle her live an' direct...it was probably better to just stay as of the fly on the wall. - no need to steal the thunder from those who needed it most, right?

There is a level of fame at which it becomes nearly impossible to travel incognito without heavy preparation. Of course, Earth Writer hadn't gotten anywhere near that level yet, but Vinyl Scratch definitely had. Even if you didn't frequent the club scene much, the DJ was pretty much the face of her particular style, and was very active in this part of Equestria. If a pony was interested in music at all, they could pick her out of a crowd.

As for the rest, the Veiled Garden's atmosphere encouraged a level of casualness to the conversation once one had sunk into it. The Low Society was the most aggressively anti-formal group in Canterlot, which the reporter frankly found relieving, after having to ply his trade in the more uptight districts. "That's why we come here." Earth tipped his glass in the direction of the congregating jazz musicians. "Something spontaneous and serendipitous is about to happen." He grinned, pulling out his notebook again. This definitely would deserve to be immortalized.

In the meantime, he let his eyes roll again. One of the guests had frankly told him off at the painter's easel. It was slightly unfair; it wasn't as if Earth was going to blackball Moonshield from membership just because there was room to grow from competent to spectacular. He just wanted to see how well the artist would respond to criticism. This was a place for those who relished being challenged, and with a few nights here, the painter could fit in. That was up to some of the other members, though.

Ah, it seemed there would be dancing, also. Both the painter and guest, as well as the tattooist and griffon were headed to the dance floor. Earth Writer's own marefriend was back in Cloudsdale right now, so he wasn't comfortable with taking the floor. Besides, he had to get those notes for his article, and who would he ask to dance with him, anyway? Vinyl Scratch? Ha! As if she would accept...

• 3 weeks later...
Frdnlm6.png

Something sinuous and sensual, trailing over one delicate curve of the shoulder and snaking all the way down the back to curl possessively over the right hip…both exotic and dangerous looking, abstract symbols and designs that came together into perfection under the black of night.

Hay yes.

It was basic color patterning, after all - an artist avoided bright, light colors on a plain white surface and instead tended to darker, and the reverse held just as true. Black was hard to work with - feathers even more so - but just like lighter colors tended to pop and draw the eyes on a pony's natural coloring, the right tattoos could fairly scream and shine on top of a dark coat. Vibrant and rich colors stood out more starkly on a darker surface after all, and sheer onyx feathers that shimmered under the light couldn't be any better.

Inkbrand had to put his immediate ideas and a few fantasies on hold though, belatedly remembering that he had a hoof-ful of smoking hot griffon goodness in his clutches, a prize he wasn't about to let slip away because of some daydreaming. The grey stallion let out a contended hum at Zelda's question that nonetheless was noncommittal in answer, never pausing as he steered her fully onto the dance floor. He waited until they were comfortably situated nearly in the center of the room and in plain view of anypony watching, before turning his flirtatious grin down at the griffon.

"Oh, I'm usually take a full, hooves on approach," the tattoo-clad stallion stated, with a low and dark strain to his tone that clearly implied his preference of approach to something other than dancing. "But sometimes," he continued, stepping forward until his neck was crossed with Zelda's, neck craned to keep his intent golden gaze locked onto her own, "it's nice to simply…step in close and let the music do the work, don't you think?" Inkbrand grinned again, smile less amiable and more purposeful than earlier in the evening, as the first few strains of a slow and smooth piece began wafting from the direction of the stage.

The grey stallion didn't say much more afterwards, instead focused on the dance - or rather, completely unfocused on the dance and letting instinct guide him as he focused on the shimmer of Zelda's feathers, how her lithe body moved and twisted easily with his lead. Inkbrand had no qualms pressing closer when he wanted, using his height and bulk to lead the griffon around in a dance on all fours, though it didn't stay that way for long. With a cheeky grin, the grey stallion abruptly swept his forelegs under Zelda's and pulled them up onto their hind legs, in a movement so well practiced it was probably obvious he used it quite often.

And that was it. As great as it was, seeing and knowing the hot griffon moving in front of him, Inkbrand stopped being overly concerned with it, instead just enjoying the simple act of swaying and dancing and feeling the lithe and sleek body pressed against his own. It wasn't too often he got to indulge in a dance like this, more used to the bouncing clubs and sweat soaked bodies that jumped up and down more than they danced. This was a rare change, and a rather nice one, to boot.

"I'll get you marked," the tattoo-clad stallion murmured lazily against the side of Zelda's head, forelegs lightly wrapping around her waist. "Come see me next you're in Manehatten - I'll take care of you."

kafyBGS.jpg

14j6bth.jpg

"Sounds fine with me.", the griffon responded, yet again with a slow purr. As much as she loved her little pony friends, and she knew they were capable of many great things, but she believed that dancing was not one of them. And while her own kind were graceful both on their back-legs and on all four, standing up was something a pony was not naturally able to do, but was something they had to learn. Still, dancing on all fours was something she could handle and this guy seemed to know what he was doing. Hopefully she'll survive this little waltz without getting her kitty feet stomped on by a hoof. That was never something one would want to encounter more than once, or even at all.

As they slowly danced along to the music, the griffon felt a bit odd. It took her a moment to realize she had released her wings the moment the stallion touched her, which was an incredibly embarrassing thing that could happen to a winged person. "Ah-Heh.", even her black fur could not hide a strong blush that quickly formed on her cheeks, "Must be the drinks, or my present company, or possibly both.", she whispered as her wings shifted back to her sides. This blush stayed on her face as the stallion shifted into a rather complicated move that had caught her completely off guard, thankfully her own agility, combined with the earth pony's strong grip had kept her from falling flat on her face. "Wow.", she could only say. Guess some ponies could be decent dancers.

"Still not sure where I'll get marked.", Zelda whispered, "Guess I'll just pop over and let you find the perfect spot. I'm thinking of getting something similar to your own, but not as much. I do like the artistic feel as opposed to just having a bunny slapped over my backside. What do you think?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Something spontaneous and serendipitous is about to happen."

The words spoken by Earth Writer attracted vinyls attention for a moment - she'd been paying attention to the stage and knew full well that something was about to transpire, but it was those words that really let Vinyl grasp just how cool it was that a place like this could allow ponies to just demonstrate and show off their talents to so many others who were here either to seek out such talented ponies, show off their own talents, or were here simply to enjoy the company of anypony, regardless of who they were and what they were doing.

" Yeah, looks like some good stuff is about to go down! " she nods, taking a small sip of the drink and watching events as closely as she could from her current seated position. " I wonder what kinda shenanigans are gonna take place - reminds me of my own few first solo performances - good stuff, even if this crowds a l'il smaller. " - She naturally omitted the fact that her own initial performances had been mostly for school gigs and whatnot - it wasn't like it was a fact that needed much exposure if she could utterly avoid it - At any rate, there were clearly more worthwhile things to focus on, and thus the young mare does so...interested to see just what lay in store.

" I love watchin' a live show! " she says with a small chuckle, glancing back at earth for a second.

" You can almost feel their excitement from here, I swear! "

• 10 months later...

Frdnlm6.png

A throaty chuckle left Inkbrand's mouth, lazy and unrepentant, but he deigned drawing attention to the griffon's seemingly embarrassed reaction, instead feeling more than pleased that he could illicit one. Although honestly, he had no idea what it actually meant. Ponies - griffons - were pretty peculiar about their wings, from what Inkbrand had gathered in his years. Some were strong enough to balance bucking weights, others so apparently sensitive that the slightest brush caused a Pegasus to break into a flul-body flush. In the end, he supposed it simply depended on the mare in question.

Or in this case, the griffon.

"I dunno," the tattoo-clad stallion mused thoughtfully as the music swelled, prompting him to abruptly dip Zelda downwards with one strong foreleg still steadfast around her waist - girls liked to know a stallion was strong enough to hold 'em. "Can't say I'd object to seeing your bunny buns prominently displayed all over your backside, baby." A lavish grin was quickly winding itself along Inkbrand's face as he pulled the griffon back up, continuing their swaying motion.

It occurred to him, however, that the time was drawing late, and he had quite a trip back home to Manehatten. It took a sizable force of will, but the grey Earth Pony somehow managed to pry his hooves off of the sexy griffon, a wry grin stretching his face as the music began to die downwards. "Thanks for the dance, Z," he murmured low under his breath, sliding so close to her cheek that his mane intermingling with her feathers. "But I've got to run. Save the next one for my place, huh?"

He came close, so close, to licking one dark cheek, just to see her wings unfurl again - but sweet Equestria, he had some self restraint. A quick brush of his snout against her silken feathers, and Inkbrand felt content enough to swagger off the dance floor and towards the exit, tail flicking in a cocky semblance of goodbye.

It was a different world he exited into, but that wasn't unusual for a stop at the Veiled Garden. Inkbrand simply took a moment to take a deep breath, lips quirked upwards in a smirk, before he set off towards the train station, a low whistle echoing into the still streets of Canterlot.

[[ Exit ]]
kafyBGS.jpg

Archived