Highway to The Party Zone[Open to those going to Whitescar]

The Lonely Tempest. An airship like no other in it's time. The impressive vessel was a formidable mixture of Earth Pony engineering and Unicorn magic to create a near energy efficient, and fast method of travel. Though small, and possibly maxes out at Fifty passengers, it shouldn't be underestimated!

The hull of the ship was a soft reddish Bronze, with bronze decorative accents. These accents were artistic in nature, but held very little flamboyancy about them. In fact, they almost appear to meld well with the utilitarian design, into a very unique but mechanical form of art. Protruding from the hull were a series of tall vertical plates suspended on a hydraulics system.

These plates were a mixture of Metal, and Red Wood for decoration. And the bottoms were curved slightly outwards. They were odd, but they seemed to serve a variety of purposes... as before the ship had taken off the Airship was resting on the ground, using them to hoist it's self into the air. And after taking off, they moved upwards till they were level with the ship and pulled inwards just a bit.

The balloon above was covered in Bronze plates. Partially armoring the top, partially serving as more decorative pieces as they held a stylized design that drew closer to the front, symbolizing the beak of a raptor. On the sides of the balloon, it bore the Emblems of the Nova family, and Eclipse Aerospace Laboratories.

Then finally... back to the hull, where a Cabin sits closer to the back. The cabin had been furnished to be a relaxing lounge with a view out to the sky and the land around them, with a stairwell leading into the lower decks.

The small but grand ship, and the engineered pride of Java had only began it's graceful journey from the heart of Equestria. It's speeds slow for now as it carefully danced it's way out of Canterlot and to the lands far up north. It's father's gaze reached out dreamily to the horizon sky. Oh how he had always wish he was a Pegasus! To fly would be like feeling freedom at it's fullest! Without gravity holding a dominating rider's crop over your flank! And with the heavens opening it's gates to you with all it's glory! But... he also thought the same way about being a unicorn! To bend the rules of nature to your will! There was a lot of things that just sucked about being an Earth Pony. Even more so when you weren't raised in a family with a green thumb! So... Engineering became his playground, and math his ball! It was a trade off he could live happily with. He was in the skies like he had dreamed of when he was a foal!

Java's ears flicked when he was brought back to reality by the pitter patter of hooves against hard wood. He took a moment to glance behind himself to find Fetloch Soldiers shuffling about casually, leaning against the railings to look out to the world from such a hieght, or having a chat with his mother closer to the Aft of the ship.

The stallion's gaze then soon sought out a Familiar prince with a grin. “Oi! Are you ok over there Prince Blueblood? I was surprised it didn't take much to coax you onto the ship... but you made it clear in the past you wanted little to do with em!”

He could do this.  

Of course he could do this.  He was Prince Blueblood, expert sailor and a pony who had never in his life been seasick.  All attempts to portray him as such were lies, lies, spread by unscrupulous tabloids with an inexplicable anti-royal bias.  He was a born sailor with a windrose cutie mark, for Faust's sake!  And here he was, on a ship.  No reason to be nervous, just a unicorn in his natural habitat.

Sure, instead of being buoyed by the salty waves of the sea, this vessel was held thousands of feet in the air a the mad blend of science and magic, and said ship was the design and brainchild of a pony who demonstrably had a... less stable grasp than most upon reality.  And that said ship was being piloted into territory that only recently had been re-classed from a 'no fly zone' due to Viking attacks.

Nope, this wasn't going to be a problem for the Prince in any way whatsoever, as long as he stood absolutely still in the middle of the airship, took deep breaths, and never looked down, he could get through this trip without panicking and embarrassing himself.

As for what he was going to Whitescar for... well, one thing at a time.  Right now, he had something more immediate to deal with, to wit, Java.  As much as they'd rammed heads in the past, by now Blueblood considered him a friend without quotation marks, albeit a somewhat exhausting one to deal with.  "Well, ponies change.  At least, I hope so.  For one thing, you're considerably more under control than I remember you being."  Banter, yes, perfect thing to keep his mind off the yawning abyss between him and solid earth.

Tehengu sighed to himself, looking out over the edge of the ship towards the ground below. This was certainly an impressive ship, but it wasn't like it was the only one that could fly. He wasn't even sure why he had chosen to travel to this party like this instead of simply flying there, but he supposed this way he wouldn't be tired by the time he got there. The large griffon was wearing his typical bandanna, as well as a somewhat dressy jacket that he was concealing his knife underneath, the only weapon he had brought with him. 

He didn't plan on needing it, but he wasn't going anywhere far from home without bringing at least something to defend himself with. Either way, he had it, and was on an airship for however long it took this thing to get to the destination. He looked over to the two ponies that had been speaking to each other, giving a small snort at the unicorn's response. He got up from his seat and walked to the unicorn, who was obviously not comfortable onboard the flying vessel. He gave the stallion a friendly pat on the back before speaking.

"If anything happens, I'll catch you." He said simply, spreading his wings for emphasis before folding them and giving him a small smile. "Anyways, name's Tehengu." He finished, sticking his talon out for a hoofshake as he watched the stallion with his one eye.

geronimobanner%20copy_zps8rcrpzsp.jpg

Her eyes roamed the world below her with interest. It was certainly a pleasure to be aboard such a fine craft! Geronimo felt lighter up here, away from the burdens and responsibilities of her every day life. She remembered how she used to enjoy her career with all the fire and heart of a griffoness new to the business of warfare and defense of a grand territory. A small sign exited her beak as she thought back over the last few days. Where was the excitement and freedom that she craved so frequently? She should have known that willing herself to climb higher on the that ladder of "success" would have its drawbacks, and it certainly had. Sometimes she thought about packing it all in. Giving up and leaving. Starting a new life for herself. But that would never happen. They would find her and drag her back...well, he would find her at any rate.

Her father was hard and overbearing. Even though she no longer lived under his iron clad roof, she still found herself in positions all the time where she would be bent to his will. It came with the military standing the family members held. How would she ever get out from under that weight? Well, hitching a ride in a wonderful airship to attend a party in the caribou land was a way to start! She sucked in  a breath of crisp, cold air and let it lift her up. The griffoness' wings unfolded from her back and she leaned out over the railings. She could feel the lift under her wings and gripped the railing with her claws. Of course she could have gone through with it. There was no harm really in leaping over the rail for a beast such as herself. However, she might loose track of the ship and in turn loose her free trip to the caribou kingdom.

She had been invited to the gathering as an emissary of sorts from the griffon lands. it was a time to strengthen unions and friendships across the lands and she had somehow managed to get her father to allow her to relinquish her duties on base long enough to attend the gathering! The lands a Askar would be a welcome sight. Wild, strong, and free! At least that's the way she had always imagined the caribou to be. She hadn't met any of them in her days but she was about to! Perhaps even meet some of those in high ranking positions. She held a position herself in her native lands. She was in command of others. Surely the caribou would recognize that in her!

She allowed her paws to come back in contact with the deck of the airship and turned to her side. There were other on deck participating in small talk and the like. Why should she not do the same? She was going to party, she might as well practice mingling. And, it appeared there were others of her kind aboard. Geronimo made her way over and nodded casually.

"If anything happens, I'll catch you."

"Now that's a noble gesture." She laughed in a friendly manner and gave the griffon a sly wink before turning her attention on the stallion for a moment. "You enjoying the trip so far? Must be quite a treat for a creature with no wings to have the chance to fly!"

Snoring could be heard in the cabin. It was very important for a party goer to catch some sleep before the festivities. Especially a pony where all the hosts are going to be much larger, stronger, and scarier than him. The partying is going to be intense, and that is why Dunder was asleep. At least until the ship actually took off. Java said he'd have things under control, but after the last time Java captained the ship Dunder would be more vigilant. Though Dunder did trust his friend. The pegasus was probably going to be the only one on the ship that could deal with the earth pony's antics.

But as the ship took off, pegasus senses started to kick in. Changes in altitude and speed could be sensed easily, and the stallion's mind wasn't used to being in control of such things. The disorientation slowly pulled the pony out of his unconsciousness. That and a distinct yet familiar mare voice.

Dunder opened his eyes until the light stung. The pony nearly fell out of his chair while gathering his bearings. A moment of  rubbing his eyes gave him time to remember. He was in the cabin, napping. There it was! The voice again! If his mind weren't so groggy, the stallion really wished he could have slept the whole trip away.

As a matter of fact, the stallion was very glad his friend fixed the airboat to give ponies a ride to the party. One less thing for Dunder to do in the whole ordeal: fly to and from the frigid north and its frozen winds. Just the thought made his wings tense up and threaten a cramp.

The pegasus' weight made the wooden chair underneath him creak as he lurched forward to get on all fours. The stallion did a quick stretching dance before trotting over to the door. He twisted the knob and pulled the door open, mid-yawn he caught sight of an armor clad group in front of him. Soldiers! He stopped dead cold in his tracks.

Am I on the wrong boat? You have to play it cool!

Dunder took a few steps towards the group of chatting soldiers, "I am NOT on the wrong boat." He said to the closes group of conversing ponies.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, ponies change.  At least, I hope so.  For one thing, you're considerably more under control than I remember you being."  

Java raised a brow to his friend's comment.

“Well, I just simply have more on my mind than I could ever care for.” The stallion hummed with a musical lilt as he approached the helm.

More in control than he remembered! Why he was always in control. Perhaps not... maybe he'd have a nervous breakdown then. And possibly went bonkers there. And... between those two... he was more likely to have a nervous breakdown now! Heck, he was more terrified than possibly any other time in his life!

How couldn't he!? He was guiding a handful of innocent ponies across the northward sea, and into the belly of the beast! It wouldn't be so bad... if he was sure they didn't have airships of their own. Which they did. He was confident in his ability... but STORMS... lives in his hands? That's a different story!

Under all this internal stress... most ponies would have probably curled up into a ball by now and began to rock back and forth. But not he... he was just experienced in hiding his actual emotions. Though... apparently Changelings and Crystal ponies can easily sniff that out. Go figure.

The stallion smirked as he disregard his internal dilemma. Though his ears did have a bit of a nervous twitch here and there. Occasionally focusing off to the horizon northward, and growing increasingly more frequent as Canterlot began to shrink away.

And... seeing Bluebloods obvious hint of fear... he figured he could at least put some of his worries at ease.

“Blueblood my friend! You know I am not just your friend. But I'm also your guy! This means I should inform you.... that The Lonely Tempest is not a fragile ship, no matter how it looks! She is a Skirmisher Class Derigible, designed for Private use by adventuring parties. Armed, Armored, and rugged. Should there be a power failure, we will not plummet to the ground. Should the balloon fail... and trust me it will take more than a pony sized hole, The ship has been designed with an emergency system to slow the decent to a safer drop.”

He flicked a switch, and the gentle hiss of the propeller attached to the back of the balloon quickly died away.

He looked to the two griffons with a smile. more specifically, the griffons whom asked a very reasonable question about flying. "I am fond of hieghts. Loved building putting together wings and gliders as a foal. My third attempt was the charm, and I glided from Canterlot down to Ponyville. The only depressing part of that experience was the train ride back home."

Oh... how bored was Captain Starbreezer as she looked down to a massive amount of paper work. And none of it belonged to the REA. Oh no... this was all part of her duty as a Duchess in Fetloch. One day, she gets to listen to the whining of ponies about another pony. Or whining about some irrelevant matter that she has absolutely no power over. Sure... she does her best to make sure that every pony that's in her domain is happy. But what could she do about.... about....

The mare's brows furrowed as she quickly lifted up a letter from one of her many civilians... her eyes squinting to narrow slits as she quickly reread over one peculiar line.

About... ' The rent bein too darn high.' The mare blinked and quickly looked to the return address on the letter after silently mouthing a profanity that could only describe her confusion.

She'll have to look into that later. She looked up after hearing the awkward screaming of a Dunderhead. Her tired gaze fell on a soldier who was looking down to a grayish brown pony with confusion worn like paint on his face.

"I am NOT on the wrong boat."

“Uuuuuuhhhhhhh...” the soldier began slowly. “Of... course you're not?”

The Captain sighed and slowly slipped her work into a bag, before slippin out of her impromptu office and stepping out to the open sky.

“Oi, who be confusing me boys?”

“Alright!” The Java chimed with a happy note. His hooves outstreatched to the sky to gather the crowds attention.

“Thank you for boarding The Lonely Tempest! We have some what clear skies, and will be traveling about... Blueblood cover your ears for a few seconds... about three-thousand five-hundred meters in the air for a majority of the ship before we have to drop altitude due to colder temperatures. We will be crusing at about eighty knots... or around ninety-two miles per hour. I doubt many of you can fly that fast! So please... be sure to stay aboard at all times. We will slow down occasionally of course. Do not worry about high speed winds... the ship's deck is equipped with an effective wind shield. That being said! There are areas below deck that you may enter. As well as a variety of food and beverages! Please do not enter any locked areas with warning signs... as they may be dangerous. Enjoy the trip!"

A few seconds later he wrapped his hooves around a lever behind the wheel and tugged it upwards. Soon enough... the ship lurched a bit then settle down. There was first a gentle whistle... then suddenly the sounds of howling winds.

The clouds near them were ripped apart by some unknown force. Those nearer the aft of the ship could feel the air roll around them. But that sensation would slowly die away as the ship began moving once more. Only this time moving much faster.

The passengers aboard would feel the ship tug at them... then a small tilt forward as the ship picked up speed. This little tip, might have been noticable, but the function, along with the pilot's skillful control helped keep the passengers from tumbling over... or even feeling most of the effects of the ship moving. It just felt more like an elevator till it finally reached it's targeted speed.

At that point, the ship's tilt soon returned to normal... and the ground just felt the same as if they were on solid ground. Physics is wonderful sometimes.

"Thank you... Tehengu, was it?  But I do emphatically hope that will not be necessary."

It wasn't that the Prince didn't appreciate the griffon's offer, it really wasn't.  But when it came right down to it, was putting one's gravity-defying trust in wings and feathers really any more rational that putting it into specially crafted metric tonnes of magic and science?  In Blueblood's opinion, it was six of one, half a dozen of the other.  Hence, when the other griffon voiced her assumptions about his enthusiasm for the 'treat,' as she inexplicably called it, he felt the necessity to correct her misimpression. 

"Not all of us feel the necessity to claim the birthright of others.  I have my title, and the sea.  It would be greedy, and what is worse, gauche, to grasp at more that I already posses.  But..."  He sighed.  "I will admit, this is slightly more comforting than sailing through Viking-infested waters.  Though caribou longships also fly, now that I think about it..."  His visage grew, if anything, more disquieted at the thought.  Not the most promising start, given that the entire point of his even being on this bloody boat was to get over any animosity or fear he had towards the caribou, as a first step to leading other ponies over it as well.  

Java must have seen Blueblood's face, since he immediately came over with his own reassurances.  It was... actually somewhat effective, once the Prince reflected that, even if the Fractal scion was mad, that only meant that he knew what he was talking about from actual experience of said mechanical failures.  Obviously, they hadn't proved fatal.  "Oh, alright then.  I suppose she floats, so even if worse comes to worst, we won't be completely stranded."  He even managed a little smile at that.  Perhaps this wouldn't prove so bad after all...

The takeoff was slightly disturbing, gastronomically speaking, but after the initial rise in elevation and acceleration, there seemed to be no danger of the Prince losing his lunch in public.  Or breakfast, rather; lunch would be served on board.  It still felt odd, though, walking a deck that stood absolutely still; a little disorienting in fact, like trying to lose one's sea-legs after a long voyage.

His musings were disturbed by a muffled but familiar-sounding voice.  The stallion trotted off in its direction, stopping to greet Star Breezer on the way.  "Ah, good day Duchess,"  Blueblood gave the slight bow due to her station; for obvious reasons, he thought of her more in the aristocratic than military context.  "I thought I heard a friend of mine below deck.  Chap by the name of Dunder Blust; pegasus, brownish-gray?"  Although she was the mother of one of his few friends, Blueblood was only vaguely familiar with her; Java wasn't the sort to flaunt his noble connections much, and the Prince didn't usually move in the sort of circles Captain Breezer gravitated to by choice.  Any meetings at Society gatherings had been heretofore been brief, both ponies feeling by instinct that each other's company might be... less than congenial.

"Believe me, I'd rather not have to catch any falling ponies either, not much fun for anyone involved, given the situations that require that stuff." He said in response to Blueblood's words. He then looked to the griffoness that approached, giving her a smile after she spoke. Really, risking his life for others had been part of his job description for a while, and it still was as far as he was concerned, at least for friends and allies.

Something about that girl was telling him she was military as well. He wasn't sure what it was, but his years had taught him to trust his gut at times, and this felt like one of those times.

The ship set off soon enough, and Tehengu looked as Blueblood left to talk with some mare. He turned away from the two after a second, looking back to the griffoness.

"So, what's your name? Mine's Tehengu, in case you missed it when I told him earlier." He said, giving her a smile as he held out a talon for her to shake. Might as well get to know some people before the party.

geronimobanner%20copy_zps8rcrpzsp.jpg

Geronimo really was impressed with the air ship before it had undergone any of the lifting and speeding up! Now she was more than intrigued. She wondered if perhaps her father might be interested in suggesting airships in the royal navy of Talonopolis! These things could do more than secure their empire, they would have vantage without the use of their won wings. They would be able to emit fighting ready griffons into any location without long hours on the wing. But it was more than military reasons that gave her the feeling of exhilaration she felt as she leaned far out over the railing during their ascent. Her eyes gleamed and her beak formed what would be a smile if griffons could smile. However, having a solid beak had its limitations. Anypony who spent time with griffons soon learned that one had to read the griffon's eyes and plumage to understand their emotions.

Once the ascent was complete the griffon she had spoken while briefly made a more formal introduction.

So, what's your name? Mine's Tehengu, in case you missed it when I told him earlier.

She gripped the offered claw firmly, bowing her head just slightly in traditional good mannered greeting. She did however, choose to leave off any of the formality in her greeting. There was no reason for this griffon to know what position she held. At least their wasn't right now.

"Geronimo's my name! Great to meet you Tehengu! You flown on airships like there before? I've found it to be quite exhilarating so far." She glanced out over the railing. "Not often I get to go on a trip like this. Where do you hail from? What brings you to venture to Whitescar? Just going for the party or something more formal?"

She was asking a lot of questions, probably because she was excited. "I was thinking about going to speak with the Captain of the craft. Care to join me?"

• 3 weeks later...

The soldier that Dunder startled seem to be just as confused as Dunder was. Now the pegasus didn't know what to say, so he just stood straight and tall, puffed out his chest and shouted, "Excellent! Carry on!" He was about to trot off, see if he could gather any information on what was going on, but a distinct voice erupted over the crowd. A voice that made Dunder want to run and hide. "I was never here!" He shouted equally loudly as he did before as he galloped past the two guards he initially surprised. The pegasus galloped to the railing on the ship and jumped off the side.

There Dunder got overtaken by the deceptively strong wind that the airship was cutting through. He didn't know the ship was going so fast! Either way when he jumped off, he was immediately taken over by the wind and slammed back into the airship's hull, sliding straight into an open hatch meant for a gun.

After pulling his rump free from the barrel of a cannon, Dunder got back on all fours. He looked around the room. Munitions, typical. He already knew not to touch any of it. Thought the idea of cracking open one of the wooden boxes and checking what was inside was a little enticing, Dunder decided against possibly blowing up Java;s fancy new ship. And then everypony else's hinder along with it.

So Dunder stepped out of the room, getting into the hallway. Left? Nothing. Right? Nothing. Just a narrow hallway and some doors along the walls. And an exceptionally suspicious door at the end of the hallway. Keep Out? A caution yellow sign warned against entry. Well, it didn't warn against entry, it just said not to enter. Dunder scratched his chin, thinking of what Java could possibly want to hide in his ship. Dunder could think of a few things Java wound want to hide.

That's why he trotted on over, pulling on the door to test the lock. Or locks. There were four on the door. And the handle was tried. Maybe Dunder would just ask Java about it later.

Or maybe he could just get a peek. He shoved against the door with all his weight and felt the door give way very slightly. But a shiver ran down his spine when he heard the tell-tale yowl of Sine.

Dunder turned around, "Hey.... Sine. I wasn't breaking and entering." Dunder said, speaking to the serval cat as if she was anything else he would converse with. "How's the kitty?" He asked, going in for a pet with the wing, but she was getting ready to pounce. Her back arched, her eyes locked on her target. "Fine, fine! I'll just..." Dunder got against the wall, shimmying past the huge cat. "I'll... go."

Dunder bolted off down the hallway, taking the first staircase up he could. He didn't even check to see if the cat was in pursuit. As the pegasus emerged from the depths of the boat, he looked behind his shoulder. Just in time to not see Java's flank.

The stallion crashed head first into Java's muscular rear. Dunder ending up back to the deck after falling and sliding. fortunately his thick skull protected him.

Archived