Official Discussion Thread - S05E11 Party Pooped

Correction: You haven't seen anyone else care about whether or not it's coherent. I noticed your summary conspicuously failed to mention the actual conflict resolution, the simple reason being that it doesn't exist. Going from a conflict to a lack of conflict without any narrative resolution of the conflict is fundamentally incoherent.

You seem to understand it quite well, so I think it's clear I countered the argument effectively.

I am glad to see you've realized this. I know when you have a forum that is essentially an echo chamber it can be startling when someone has a negative opinion, but seeing as this is a discussion board I feel we should try to learn from each other's opinions rather than simply tell people who disagree they should leave. I certainly didn't expect you to become hostile. I recommend carefully reading my posts, as the only ones suggesting that the series could be beyond redemption are, ironically, you and your staff.

I find it particularly interesting that despite three people suggesting that I just stop watching so I won't darken your doorsteps again, not one person thought to ask for details about why I disliked the episode. On a discussion board, it seems reasoning is totally worthless while positivity is the only thing welcome.

Sorry Rose, but until this subforum is renamed "MLP Hugbox" you'll just have to "be forced to endure my vitriol and dislike" of the episodes I think are ****.

You're encouraging me to read your posts carefully, but it's clear you've failed to read mine carefully. I have done my best to understand your position, agreed with you on some points, and supplied an analogous metaphor to back that position up, strictly out of respect for what you're trying to communicate here. You're free to have negative opinions, by all means. That doesn't mean you're free to attack other forum members that don't wish to endure an idiosyncratic monologue about why you think an episode of FiM is terrible. You've, as yet, failed to furnish reasons why, and even acknowledged this. How do you expect anyone to take you or your opinions seriously when you've yet to show any intelligent contrast or facts to back yourself up? We're certainly not mind readers.

As for that last line: that's a very mean thing to say. I'm quite disappointed in you.

Again you're twisting what I said, Dulset. I didn't say my initial comment because I have an aversion to negativity, I did so because I truly do not understand why you would continue to watch the series when there only ever seems to be negativity from you toward it. You claim you are a fan, but I haven't seen this evidenced, which makes it just seem odd to me.

As for the apparent lack of conflict resolution, I'd disagree. The story was based on a bit of misdirection. The conflict itself was ultimately a deceptively simple one. it just took Pinkie needing to open her eyes and look at the situation a little differently to resolve it--which is what the journey and her friends allowed her to do.

I enjoyed this episode. Pinkie Pie randomness is always a good thing. For me at least.

I kind of feel like I'm the only one that feels like the Yaks were... kind of being jerks.

Regardless this was actually kind of a funny episode. I liked it.

:)

Honestly, I see why Dulset didn't liked the episode. I honestly didn't got influenced by him at all, all this is just my opinion. I just got a bit more analytical since I didn't liked it that much.

Well, first of all, I.. didn't liked it also as the other ones. After seeing it myself (I watched it an hour ago) It kind of disappointed me. It made me laugh in some parts actually, but not enough to actually make me like it. I mostly like all the episodes, but this one... I didn't felt like it. First, it just fell odd since the beginning. Idk why but I didn't felt it like in other episodes. I mean, even with Princess Spike I felt like eager to see it. I didn't felt that with this one.

Also the fact that the Yaks just smashed what they didn't liked. It was a bit too childish in my opinion and excessive. Also, they threaten Twilight with them going into war. Going into war... into a child program... really?! Maybe something similar happened at S2 finale (cadence and shining armor wedding), but at least they didn't said it was a war. In here they did say it.

Also, all the twi freaking out got a bit too old in this episode. Not that I don't like it, but it got too repetitive at some point. Also, why does Pinkie needs that secret files? I mean, she kind of remembers everything by memory (He know every pony's birth day in Ponyville by memory), so why would sh need it? It kind of completely changes how we see her.

I must admit it made me laugh at some points, but not that much or enough to compensate everything else.

This is what I thought of the episode.

I kind of feel like I'm the only one that feels like the Yaks were... kind of being jerks.

I heard someone compare the yaks to fans who are never happy or whose expectations are very difficult to please. Maybe the writers are venting?

I very much enjoyed the Loney Tunes reference with Pinkie Pie in the snow, and cracked up at the Beatles reference.

I enjoyed this one..It was cute & funny, and I liked the designs of the Yaks. Not something I'd watch more than once, but still a bit of fun... <3

I have to agree. I found it cute but nothing too extraordinary.

I was however glad to see Pinkie Pie give gummy another little nosey kiss. Not as cute as the one from Griffinstone, but I'm all for more adorable nosey kisses. Freaking cute!

I heard someone compare the yaks to fans who are never happy or whose expectations are very difficult to please. Maybe the writers are venting?

By any chance could you have seen that on GameFAQs, on their Official Discussion Topics in the Cartoons and Animation boards? I saw a comment like that on GameFAQs.

By any chance could you have seen that on GameFAQs, on their Official Discussion Topics in the Cartoons and Animation boards? I saw a comment like that on GameFAQs.

I found it in the comments section on EQD. I found it an interesting tidbit worth discussion.

I finally caught up on all of the MLP episodes this morning, and, whoooa boy. This one was a whooper for me. 

I can kind of understand the viewpoint that the conflict resolution was very quick. We hit a climax in the story (when Pinkie Pie reaches the gates of Yakyakistan), and there's a very quick down slope on the plot arch to the resolution and conclusion of the episode. I understand that Pinkie Pie had a realization at the end that the Yaks would feel more welcomed if they weren't greeted with attempts to replicate their homeland (it's like going over to a friend's house for the first time, and them baking your mom's famous pound cake recipe for you or something, and it just not being right). But I feel it would have been nice to have that presented with more clarity throughout the episode, as opposed to being delivered super quickly towards the end after Pinkie is reunited with her friends and sets up the party. 

That's a personal preference, though, not a hard and fast rule, you know? I just would have loved to see a little more reasoning and character development for the Yaks --- maybe even just something to indicate that they were homesick in some way, and found the gestures of the ponies to more or less buy their friendship insulting. I feel like that took a back seat to gags that, while hilarious, were a little too numerous. 

That said! I did love this episode. I loved that Twilight is afraid of Quesadillas because they're too cheesy, and that Pinkie keeps immaculate records of the parties she's held, and the things her various clients like (it's very professional, and in-keeping with her character as established in Pinkie Pride. I mean, she keeps photos of every party she has planned, and it stands to reason she would keep client files to make sure she doesn't ever miss a single detail about a pony or party she's held or will hold). I feel like Pinkie's developed a lot as a character, and her need to make people happy has really been shining every time I see her in an episode. The subtle facial animation really helps sell it, given it shows her contemplating circumstances, and dealing with internal problems. She doesn't just react to a situation --- she has feelings and an opinion beyond solving everything with a party --- even if, ironically, that's what she did with this episode. She thought beyond the party, and that's been nice to see the last few episodes she's been featured in prominently. 

On the note of war in a children's show ... It's not as unique as you'd think. War's been discussed in various shows, sometimes even front and center --- such as the case of the Star Wars cartoons. It was heavily important in The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride, and has been featured in a variety of other cartoons and children's media --- we even have precedent for it in MLP (the episode in Season 1 with the buffalo and the settler ponies). War is a heavy thing, but children typically handle heavy subject matter better than most adults would consider. They're competent enough to know that the Yaks declaring war is a bad thing that needs to be prevented at all costs, and to be relieved when it doesn't come to fruition --- just like they're competent to understand that physical violence, even cartoon violence, is usually a bad thing... Especially when it's presented as such on a consistent basis. 

Final notes: I can't stop making references to the "THIS NOT YAK-[insert thing here]" gag. It just slayed me. xD

I have a feeling the 'war' would not get past planning stage...

Prince Rutherford: "FATHER we must declare WAR on all of Equestria! They have INSULTED our ways!"

King Yak: (Looks away from his newspaper) "You do know the ponies have more than a few GODS on their side, right? They could just teleport our castle into the sun if they wanted to. Be nice. Apologize to the ponies."

That's one of the things I liked about the Lord Tirek comic...As cute as they are, ponies, at least unicorns can be pretty scary to the other races as they wield some powerful magic....

In hindsight, this was the lowest point in the show's run. Princess Spike was undeniably better!

I deny this! I liked this episode more than Princess Spike, because it showed some much needed character depth for Pinkie and made me not hate her as a character anymore!

I liked how when she hugged the yak she realized she messed up and let go, and only returned the hug after he gave it to her, shows she's learning to respect boundries.

Yeah, but...  It offers almost nothing - the yaks are awkwardly difficult to placate, Pinkie Pie's journey comes to naught, and every now and then Twilight Sparkle shows her old psycho-face because Celestia keep on making Twilight Sparkle do the jobs she can't be bothered to do. I concede that Princess Spike offered nothing new, but at least that had a solid message about confronting jealousy.

Archived