Spike.

VGAddict

I like Spike. He's a bit off, because he's a dragon in a pony world. He's obviously very gifted for his age and species, but he seems to have only adult friends. No real friends his age. When he hangs around with adults he tries to keep up with them and ends up trying just a little too hard and ends up goofing stuff up. Usually when he's with his 'mother', Twilight he tends to be a little better behaved...Less prone to messing things up...Just when he goes out of his comport zone..wacky stuff happens. :-o

• 4 weeks later...

You can't improve Spike if you STOP making his eps...that's a poor solution - just keep him as a side character for a while, and build a decent direction for him before making a solo ep for him later on!

That's irrelevent - my point is if you want development, then that means he needs episodes...just because he's had 'not enough' is no reason to say 'make no more spike episodes' - that doesn't help in any form.

Whether or not he's had development up until that point...is pretty much NOT my points consideration!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a pretty unfair topic, OP. If you want to open a discussion about a character, don't assume that everyone will feel the same way you do about them.

What I will say is that Spike episodes seem to follow a certain formula that's been done to death: Spike is unsure of himself, tries his best, makes a bunch of mistakes, and more-or-less learns a lesson. I would question the writing over the character design, because I think as a character he's pretty interesting, and a nice compliment to the other main characters.

This is a pretty unfair topic, OP. If you want to open a discussion about a character, don't assume that everyone will feel the same way you do about them.

What I will say is that Spike episodes seem to follow a certain formula that's been done to death: Spike is unsure of himself, tries his best, makes a bunch of mistakes, and more-or-less learns a lesson. I would question the writing over the character design, because I think as a character he's pretty interesting, and a nice compliment to the other main characters.

Should they not make any more episodes of him?

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree this is the typical formula (and it's gotten quite stale --- basically my exact thought as I watched "princess spike") there is one other side we've seen, the side I myself personally love and remind people of as much as I can --- he's the 'other half' of twilight. When he starts freaking out she's tehre to calm him down and help him think reasonable, and when she starts freaking out, he's there to calm ehr down and help her think reasonable. (and when they're both calm and reasonable they're unstoppable!) Personally I think this is the rout they need to take with spike, imo it works a LOT better and it adds to both characters.

Should they stop making spike epps? Kinda --- they should stop trying to make solo epps because it's clear that they cant get it right, but they need to pair him up with twilight as a TEAM, this works a lot better (and in fact should make it a little easier for hte writers since they have him to help manage twilight's insanity)

I can't say they should make more Spike episodes. It sucks to see him at the protagonist, really. He doesn't feel like a protagonist.

Beside that I wanna talk about Spike.

Imagine if they made the last finale episode, and some strange male narrator says in the beginning "Hundreds of years ago, Princess Twilight and her friends blah blah blah -insert good beginning story line here-" and at last it shows that the narrator happened to be Spike. Showing him as older, civilized, and I dunno... older? All because of him growing up around ponies. Anyway, that would be a pleasant thing to see about Spike. Narrating like he does with his writing or what he receives to read.

What makes him interesting for me is that he's a dragon that can write and read. Probably the only and first dragon that does that.

What makes him interesting for me is that he's a dragon that can write and read. Probably the only and first dragon that does that.

I get the idea that there are two types of dragons...The type that age properly and are intelligent Like Spike...And those who are aged rapidly through the whole hording curse, and are basically wild animals, like the dragon the girls faced in 'Dragonshy'.  Faust did an sketch of an rather large female dragon awhile back..A very elegant dragon...Like a Celestia if she were a dragon..Wonder if this character will ever show up..

Archived