Friendship is Magic Best Episode: Season Openers!

SteelEagle

Best Season Opener?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Best Season Opener Two-Parter?

• Friendship is Magic Parts One and Two
    • The Return of Harmony Parts One and Two
    • The Crystal Empire Parts One and Two
    • Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts One and Two
    • The Cutie Map Parts One and Two

Welcome to the Best Episode: Season Opener edition!

What is this?
Simple: A vote! Here, you will choose which episode of the bunch is the best. After a week, vote closes and voila, we have a winner! This will continue for all 26 episodes of each season- meaning we will have 12 votes with 5 choices, and 12 votes with 4. For ease of polling, Party of One and Best Night Ever when we get to the final poll will be slammed together against the two part season enders of other seasons,

This week's vote:

Friendship is Magic Part One and Part Two
FIM%20Image_zpsuhmqzghd.png

VS

The Return of Harmony Part One and Part Two
DISCORD_zpsgvzb6xf9.png

VS

The Crystal Empire Part One and Part Two
SOMBRA_zpspjygxc0p.png

VS

Princess Twilight Sparkle Part One and Part Two
TREE_zpsjmsy8gkx.png

VS

The Cutie Map Part One and Part Two
FACES_zpssd52adwq.png

RoH honestly suffers for me over time, but it is a lot of greatness. I never liked how easy it was for Discord to break them apart. I think FiM does a better job with the girls. I like the adventure aspect of it more than RoH too. But RoH is better in almost every other way.

The Crystal Empire is really strong stuff, but the villain is the weakest and thethreat feels the least important.

Princess Twilight Sparkle was good, but suffers over time as the episode was really very simple.

The Cutie Map was the most well written and I think had the most interesting premise, but I don't think it wins.

Really tough vote for me.

Cute Map is my favorite handily. It's the most thematically interesting, least predictable, has the most effective antagonist and the best song. The fact that Twi is not the instrumental one in resolving the conflict earns it so many points for me.

Return of Harmony is second, mostly because so much fun is had with the Discorded ponies and some of the chaos Discord wreaks. It just doesn't have the same depth though.

Princess Twilight is third. The twist at the end with giving up the elements is great. It has some major pacing hiccups for me though and in the grand scheme of things isn't particularly memorable.

Fourth is Crystal Empire. It's close between it and Princess Twi. Sombra isn't a very successful antagonist though, and it's all fairly straightforward.

Pilot is fifth because pilot. It's just a lot rougher. It was what it needed to be, and the core mythology it establishes is great, but it can't really compare to these later episodes.

I’ll admit this wasn’t an easy choice for me, as I enjoyed every season premiere and all five are quality two-parters as well as have their issues.  In fact it was far easier for me to say which was my least favorite (Crystal Empire) than which was my favorite, as the other four are pretty close in my book.

I think the only reason Crystal Empire fell short for me compared to the other four season openings is because the villain, Sombra, was given so little characterization.  The story hints at this whole mythology around him but none of it is actually fleshed out, so he becomes a very flat villain and nothing more than a plot device (the comics have elevated the character in my eyes some since then, and it will interesting to see where they take him in the latest ones).

I gave Princess Twilight my top vote because it was a nice setup for the entire season, Cutie Map does this also, but as this season is yet to be finished, I am not convinced yet to give it top billing, I may have to change my mind after the finale.

Definitely Return of Harmony. This was the first episode that the Mane Six were really, really tied down and the stakes were high. The villain du jour actually had solid motivation that he made quite known. Other season villains didn't present their motivations as strongly outside of "Rawr" or "Muhahaha!"

There is nothing quite like the whole fandom participating in the fangasming of DeLancie and the first season premiere after the fandom had formed. I usually don't vote based on nostalgia, but because this is a close race, I'm going to have to. Return of Harmony.

Beleive it or not, I actually liked the Princess Twilight Sparkle just a little bit more than Return of Harmony. Like, barely. It's a tough decision between the two. But I just kinda liked the sense of urgency in the episode even though it didn't have a villian. Proves that Equestria isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

...Well, besides the parasprites, bugbears, hydras...erm, moving on.

But yeah, I just thought the episode was overall good. Plus I did like the fact that they returned the Elements of Harmony in the end, proving that they're not some sort of trump card. (I mean sure, they were replaced with the Rainbow Power poofy mane thing, but eh. Whatever.)

I could ramble on a bit more, but that's why I liked it in short. Cutie Map is third, Pilot Episodes are fourth, and that one with the shadow cloud is last.

Voting is done!

The Return of Harmony won with 9 votes out of 17.
The Cutie Map was second place, with 3 votes out of 17..
Friendship is Magic and Princess Twilight tied with 2 of 17 apiece.
The Crystal Empire was in last place with 1 vote out of 17.

1. Friendship is Magic Parts One and Two (2 votes [11.76%])

2. The Return of Harmony Parts One and Two (9 votes [52.94%])

3. The Crystal Empire Parts One and Two (1 votes [5.88%])

4. Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts One and Two (2 votes [11.76%])

5. bullet_star_rated.png The Cutie Map Parts One and Two (3 votes [17.65%])

Archived