do you hide your brony-ness?

Angie Cakes

do you hide the fact that you're a brony?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. do you hide the fact that you're a brony?

• yes
    • no
    • from some people
    • from most people

My affilation to the Pony nation remains only alluded to in the little things I do. Example: In Fable 3, I named all of my melee weapons are ponies. I feel kind of badass when I say I'm taking Twilight Sparkle to battle with me.

• 3 weeks later...

SO SORRY if this is considered an unneeded bump...just wanted to get the full truth off me...

Truth is...yes, I hide my Brony-ness. Not from online friends, but from real life. My parents are completely oblivious (Though my mom walked in on me while watching 'May the Best Pet Win', but she didn't pay any mind to my TV...), I BELIEVE everyone at school is oblivious, and the only people besides my online friends that know are my best friend (Who constantly makes fun of me for it... :-( ) and my 12 year old cousin, who surprisingly took it well after I explained Lauren Faust created it and how many familiar voice actors are on the show (He's a HUGE Craig McCracken fan).

However, recently I've posted serious hints on Facebook about it...no one is catching the hint though, except I heard kids behind my back calling me...well, a "fag", so obviously I'm somewhat nervous to learn the story behind that...

I just recently uploaded FiM songs onto iTunes, and with how frequently my mom goes on, I'm afraid it won't be long before she discovers it...then I'll have to face it...

I can't bear to tell my classmates, because insults will be hurled. Constantly. I'm sure that my classmates and "friends" will not understand at all...Frankly, the only hint of me revealing my Broniness is the fact I'm currently writing a free-lance essay about Bronies and FiM to my English teacher. No grade, not required. I simply told her I was going to write an uncounted essay and give it to her. Hopefully letting it out will relieve the stress...because frankly, if people don't 100% understand me for loving that movie "Rio"....I'm afraid to see what happens when I tell them I like FiM...

Nope. I do have the advantage of being a girl and thus having it be slightly less odd for me to enjoy shows about pastel coloured ponies. There's also the fact that my friends and family think I'm completely bonkers already. But, yeah. I'll quote ponies and memes at random intervals and discuss the episodes. Two of my friends were already bronies (who knew?) and I've managed to get everypony else to come around to it. I may have ruined the manliness of my male friends, but we all can experience most awesome cartoon on the air together!

Usually I round up all of my friends that are bronies as well(trust me, there are very few) and walk up to a non-brony friend and start talking about the series. The plan is that eventually he'll feel overwhelmed and just watch one episode to see what its like. After that, he's ours, cause its impossible to hate it once youve watched it!

i never hide who I am. Seeing peoples reaction to who I am and what I like is the quickest way to weed out who won't be a good freind and who will be in a swift and none up close or personal fashion.

I never worry about insults or people thinking I am of abnormal sexaulitly because I hardly care what does knid of people think. I dress in a way that crowds do and have made fun of me for even though I only really dress formal-waists coats, formal shirts, trousers...trillbys/tops hats..bowties-and I have yet to change due to any mocking tones or folly questions from others and I never will. The people I want to be my freinds are those who can appreciate me and appreciate what I do and what I like at least on some level and if my like of a show or my immediate appearence makes me worthy of scorn, harsh judgment or hatred then I only find it fair that I find their odd conclusions and strange pre-believed theories a sign of a suspicious personality.

at least until and if they find themselves wrong later.

In short: No. I do not and I am more than happy to state my affection of the show and its fan base.

• 2 weeks later...

Never. I'm actually pretty open about my love for MLP. I remember, just the other day, I was browsing through the toy isle with all the ponies, and I was talking on and on about the show when these ladies came walking by. They stuck around for a bit, and I'm pretty sure they thought I was crazy the whole time. Fun times.

Depends on who I'm talking to, really.

With friends on the internet or good friends that I know, I dont hide it. Typically my friends bash me for it, but it's all good fun. To be honest, everyone in my group has a loud of quirks that could make all of us seem incredibly weird, but we enjoy poking each other about it for fun. I just happen to be the only brony of the group. I tried to get them to get into MLP, but they wouldn't have any of it.

Outside of my little group, it's unknown. I have given a hints to other people, and also accidentally said things that might lead on to me being a brony. More often than not, I tell people things "need to be about 20% cooler," or that "I could do (action) in ten seconds flat."

I've said things like 'everypony' and 'somepony' by accident. That got a few stares.

Family and people outside my bubble of security, I don't try to let on. I don't own any merchandise either, so I doubt that anyone else is aware.

if my brother sees i like the show he may think i got younger by an year of 10 but he knows i like cartoons whole my life so he doenst make it a problem my parents thinks i'm crazy but i dont care they know my love for cartoons as well so there is no need to hide it exepct for some of my friends there really into hardcore horror so they find this more than stupid >.> wich is not ^^

I dont talk about it, but then I dont talk to people much. I Do have pony playing in my car most of the time (often with the windows open) and when $$$ allows, I am planning to order a few pony shirts and a Rainbow Dash messenger bag for my tablet...

So... it's a bit of both. I'm not open but I dont hide it. If somone openly asked me if I liked it, I would tell them "no, I dont like it - I LOVE IT!" and likely proceed to rattle off every awesome thing rainbow dash has ever done (lol)

Online personally I think doesnt count, it's so anonymous people will admit to ANYTHING no matter how good/bad/sick it is because they can always either leave a site or just change their usernames. But, on that note, I openly and soemtimes proudly state I'm a Brony and a Furry, so...

I am very careful about who I tell, since I am a professional, and my relationships with our customers are important. The next time I apply for a job, I don't want the company to google me and have MLP come up as the first applicable link.

Also, since I am new-ish to the series (there were only 4 episodes in the second season when I caught up), I am still trying to figure out the best way to plug it, and to explain it so that I can have an intelligent conversation about it.

I don't want to tell a future brony about it, and let all their preconceived notions shine brighter than the picture I can paint in the first 2-3 sentences. I haven't figured out what those 2-3 sentences should be yet, but I am getting closer.

Eh, I voted "From most people." It's kind of a trick question. I don't "hide" that I'm a brony because I do use FiM wallpapers, wear one of the shirts, and draw the characters but most of the time people have no clue that it's MLP, oddly enough. If they do ask, I'll either them that it is MLP if I'm relatively close to them. Otherwise, I'll just kinda talk about it as a meme without directly calling it MLP since I don't exactly want to explain to someone who I don't know anyway why I like FiM.

While no one seems to really catch on to the wallpapers or drawings, I had a few interesting reactions to the shirt with a silhouette of Rainbow Dash that says "This Shirt Just Got 20 Percent Cooler." Oddly enough, I got a brohoof from another brony within the first five minutes of the wearing the shirt, lol. Other than that, I've had a couple guesses as to what it's supposed to mean. One person figured it to be a clever pun considering that it's winter, hence a T-shirt would be "cooler" this time of year (I had to hold back the urge to laugh at that one and just agreed with him xD). Another just seemed kinda flustered. "How is your shirt 20% percent cooler? Is it because there's a unicorn on it or something?" I just said "yup" and walked on. Thinking back I should've just looked him in the eye straight and completely serious and say "It means I'm gay" just to see how he'd respond, lol. And finally today, I was walking around downtown wearing it and a hobo (at least that's how he looked anyway) walked by me, smiled and said "Love and tolerance." It was kind of odd yet somehow neat to meet a fan of the show who was possibly homeless (although if you're homeless, how would you have the means to follow it anyway - maybe he just liked dressing in beatup clothes?).

So yeah, oddly enough this stuff seems to be inconspicious since the only people I've met who recognized it for what it is is were actualy bronies - everyone else seems clueless. That or the ones who do know what it is just decide to keep quiet - which is fine by me anyway, I get no grief for it either way.

Today, for the first time I told someone I knew, face to face that I was a brony. I prefaced it by saying I was keeping it on the down low, but she was wearing a 20% cooler shirt. I will work me way up from there.

Edit:

Oddly enough, I got a brohoof from another brony within the first five minutes of the wearing the shirt, lol.

Wait, is that what happened to me? I thought I got a fist bump out of the deal with her.

Does it have to be two dudes?

Nope, it wasn't you. I'm male and he was in uniform onboard the ship - so if you're not in the Navy and I'm not female, that incident couldn't have been us. xP

Wha? What made you think I was specifically asking if you were her?

Your post was my first exposure to "brohoof" and triggered in me the memory for earlier in the day.