do you hide your brony-ness?

Angie Cakes

do you hide the fact that you're a brony?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. do you hide the fact that you're a brony?

• yes
    • no
    • from some people
    • from most people

I don't hide it because I don't see the point. If someone can't accept me for who I am and would rather make fun of me for it, I just don't need them in my life.

I've dropped friends for making fun of my nationality, or the fact I don't do drugs, trying to get me to. So if they ridicule the fact I watch My Little Pony, and am a brony, I'll tell em not to let the door hit em on the way out, because there's no reason to make fun of someone for things they enjoy, especially if they find solidarity in what they enjoy.

I do tell all my online friends. But in RL, I have only told my good friends (cuz most of em kno im into stupid stuff n the others r like 'ok...') and they just pass it off as me being myself :smug: I did make the mistake of reading a fanfic in class and one of them (i think hes a 10th grader) asks me what im reading and I actually told him it was MLP and he says that's stupid. I'm just like "ehh" I still bring fanfic to high school n read it ;)

No I don't hide it at all, my personal opinion is if it's SO embarrassing to bring it up to the point of hiding your broniness from the world then to me you arn't much of one because you hide it and seem ashamed to admit it/ or embarrassed by it.

To me it's like "I have a good friend that makes me happy, lights up my imagination, and is good fun to be around, however my friend isn't what normal people call "Cool" So when I'm around others I never talk about my great friend because I'm embarrassed and afraid they will mock me for being friends with him"

No I don't hide it at all, my personal opinion is if it's SO embarrassing to bring it up to the point of hiding your broniness from the world then to me you arn't much of one because you hide it and seem ashamed to admit it/ or embarrassed by it.

To me it's like "I have a good friend that makes me happy, lights up my imagination, and is good fun to be around, however my friend isn't what normal people call "Cool" So when I'm around others I never talk about my great friend because I'm embarrassed and afraid they will mock me for being friends with him"

Well, there is what experts in psychology can usually pinpoint as being afraid of what people think of them. Everyone has this condition at some point, whether it's small, or insanely huge, but everyone has it.

I used to, but I overcame it when I started entering skateboarding contests or DJing online radio.

My entire family knows it (I think they all do). Don't know if I would like to tell my grandparents about it... They gave me a strange look even when I told them I would use my birthday money to buy The Doors L.A Woman (Never did). I'm not sure if I should tell them...

I don't hide it because I don't see the point. If someone can't accept me for who I am and would rather make fun of me for it, I just don't need them in my life.

I've dropped friends for making fun of my nationality, or the fact I don't do drugs, trying to get me to. So if they ridicule the fact I watch My Little Pony, and am a brony, I'll tell em not to let the door hit em on the way out, because there's no reason to make fun of someone for things they enjoy, especially if they find solidarity in what they enjoy.

Well said.

I used to hide it... then I told my best friend (I think... or she found out or something). But I still kept it kinda hidden. I posted a couple pony pics as my Facebook avatar, which was kind of a hint...

Then I started finding Bronies on Facebook! Like, people I knew IRL who liked ponies too! And now I have Luna in a bunnysuit as my avatar, and I don't care! My family that I live with is on my Facebook, but they kind of found out anyway.

Except... I kinda forgot that I have grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins on there... O_o

Maybe they haven't noticed. >_>

I try to hide my bronyness. However, a coworker of mine who is aware decides to ask me, at random, pony related questions. He brings up for instance the embargo my wife has placed on pony merchandise. This leaves me in an awkward place when he asks me these things in front of other coworkers who don't know. Therefore, I'm on the spot. I have to explain myself utterly and completely so they think I'm not insane.

During a Magic: The Gathering pre-release, I girl who was playing had a Pinkie Pie video on her iPhone. I was going to be civilized and talk about the show. To people I don't know, I'm a gentleman. I try really hard to be. My idiot friends though, who moderately share this hobby with me, were a bit more rabid. I felt embarrassed.

Meh.

Yes. I hide it like hell. Not from my Online friends, but I learned from experience not to tell my real life friends. I told my best friend and he looked like he'd disown me as a friend. In a desperate attempt, I told him "Not srsly bro, I just like watched twenty episodes so I could troll people."

Still makes me think myself as a coward, considering the fact that I didn't stand up for my likes.

Sadly... I'll admit I hide all sort of bronism outside the internet. People are not as accepting here. Just no. No one wants to hear about some form of cartoons, no matter how good it is. I've tried, and getting people to like ponies is like talking to a stubborn mule. Saving 'face' is the traditional social norm here, unlike in other countries where 'openness' is encouraged. It's the main culture around here.

I seriously doubt there will be a brony or a My Little Pony convention in my country. Ever. This is Asia, not Europe, and certainly not the Americas.

That's why I'm visiting websites like these.

Yes. I hide it like hell. Not from my Online friends, but I learned from experience not to tell my real life friends. I told my best friend and he looked like he'd disown me as a friend. In a desperate attempt, I told him "Not srsly bro, I just like watched twenty episodes so I could troll people."

Still makes me think myself as a coward, considering the fact that I didn't stand up for my likes.

Sounds like that's not a real friend at all.

Not really, but then, there's not nearly as big of a stigma for us ladyfolk. (Though I avoided My Little Pony like the plague as a little girl, because they were all pink and sparkly and didn't look like real horses anyway. I much preferred my dinosaur toys. Funny that it took me until I was 23 to get over that.)

The mere fact that all y'all fellas either feel like you have to hide the fact that you like something "feminine", or you admit it and get flak for it, is one of the many reasons I'm a feminist. Something being "girly" shouldn't make it shameful! Guys have just as much right to enjoy an awesome show that just happens to have ponies in it as the girls do.

Besides, after the whole, "Mom, I'm gay," conversation, admitting I like a kid's show hasn't seemed like nearly as big of a deal.

Sounds like that's not a real friend at all.

That's very true. I don't seem to think so anymore anyhoo. He might just need to come around. Once I graduate I'll tell everyone and spam their inboxes with links to MLP: FiM :3

I try to hide my bronyness. However, a coworker of mine who is aware decides to ask me, at random, pony related questions. He brings up for instance the embargo my wife has placed on pony merchandise. This leaves me in an awkward place when he asks me these things in front of other coworkers who don't know. Therefore, I'm on the spot. I have to explain myself utterly and completely so they think I'm not insane.

During a Magic: The Gathering pre-release, I girl who was playing had a Pinkie Pie video on her iPhone. I was going to be civilized and talk about the show. To people I don't know, I'm a gentleman. I try really hard to be. My idiot friends though, who moderately share this hobby with me, were a bit more rabid. I felt embarrassed.

Meh.

As much as I love MLP:FiM I purposely avoid being rabid about it to people, even to the closest of friends, who don't care for the show, because I know how I would feel if I were in their shoes and someone was rabidly pushing on me something I could care less about. When it comes to the office, I avoid bringing it up completely, yet again I almost never talk about my personal interests at work (even ones considered "Mainstream", like football) unless someone with a similar interest strikes up a conversation about it.

MLP stuff is embargoed at your home?

Not really, but then, there's not nearly as big of a stigma for us ladyfolk. (Though I avoided My Little Pony like the plague as a little girl, because they were all pink and sparkly and didn't look like real horses anyway. I much preferred my dinosaur toys. Funny that it took me until I was 23 to get over that.)

The mere fact that all y'all fellas either feel like you have to hide the fact that you like something "feminine", or you admit it and get flak for it, is one of the many reasons I'm a feminist. Something being "girly" shouldn't make it shameful! Guys have just as much right to enjoy an awesome show that just happens to have ponies in it as the girls do.

Besides, after the whole, "Mom, I'm gay," conversation, admitting I like a kid's show hasn't seemed like nearly as big of a deal.

Tis' true, but it depends on the situation. For my closest friends who are not fans at all, it's seen as a negative but not in a friendship destroying sort of way; although I do find it amusing friends of mine who dislike the idea of me being into FiM bring up the subject with me far more than I do with them. That being said, I can only imagine what male co-workers, or family members would think, especially the latter.

Also I think it is two factors, it is seen as feminine and it is seen as childish.